Frame airships

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Blake 852

Jul 29, 2019
Oh its possible.. Did it myself. :) So did direwolf..ANd a bunch of others.

well i ment something abit more automatic, you send it. you get the goods via enderchest no need for player to do anything other then change which way it goes... :D still awesome to see tho

PeggleFrank

Jul 29, 2019
I spent some time thinking about this, and I came up with this. Gotta love airships in an airship.
A frame ship that moves along slowly, and stores energy from windmills on kinetic generators. On each side, there's a deployable battle pod that has slots for batteries to be placed in. When you place in the battery, it powers the motors, and also powers blulectric engines that send MJ to a pump that pumps lava from the surface (Only for use in the Nether) and stores the lava in it's buildcraft lava storage tank (3 glass tanks in the back of the ship that are encased in iron covers). There's a lever in the cockpit to activate a redstone engine that pumps lava out of the tanks and into a geothermal generator. The geothermal stores the EU in an MFSU that's in the top of the cockpit. By pressing a lever, a piston retracts and it pulls out the sides to the left and right, for the pilot to attack enemy ships using a mining laser which can be powered by the MFSU. Alternatively, you could use turtles that respond a redstone signal and will shoot their laser. There's a button hooked up to the left and right. When the pods aren't deployed, it's a MASSIVE aircraft carrier and blutricity generator.

The pods can also be outfitted with a bomb bay that's attached to the bottom of the ship. While making the ship (and the pilot while they're in the bomb bay) more vulnerable to attacks, it can drop 5 TNT in a line, one after the other, to completely demolish anything below, whether it be land or another airship. The safety lock on the bomb bay can be controlled by sticky pistons activated by a lever to prevent the pilot from falling out and stranding the pod.

TL;DR: Massive aircraft carrier with attachable and detachable battle pods on either side.

Herrozerro

Jul 29, 2019
You know what i want? I want the reverse arcane levitator so I can build a UFO and abduct cows and villagers.

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
You know what i want? I want the reverse arcane levitator so I can build a UFO and abduct cows and villagers.
Probably more likely to come from portal gun. An adaptation of the beam-y things (can't quite remember what they were called. Anyway, that would be awesome!

Would also be neat for the IC teleporter to teleport away without needing a pad at destination. Could make a few interesting ships.

Herrozerro

Jul 29, 2019
Probably more likely to come from portal gun. An adaptation of the beam-y things (can't quite remember what they were called. Anyway, that would be awesome!

Would also be neat for the IC teleporter to teleport away without needing a pad at destination. Could make a few interesting ships.

Even better, that would be there would most likely be some kind of beam effect as well.

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
Even better, that would be there would most likely be some kind of beam effect as well.
I have to say that I like the idea of something that will slowly lower you down to the surface, and then drag you back at a redstone signal. There are many useful applications. Not least putting it on it's side and using it in mob traps. Get rid of the whole water/piston thing.

Westingham

Jul 29, 2019
This thread is amazing! I've got two questions though:

1.) I've read in a few places that the IC2 miner only mines ores listed in its config; in the Mindcrack pack, are all of the ores listed or is some editing necessary.
2.) What are frubes?

Kocyk

Jul 29, 2019
Miner should dig up all the ores in Mindcrack. In previous versions it ignored only Traincraft ores, not sure if it was fixed or not.

On the side note, if you enchant IC2 drill with books, miner will dig using those enchants (so you can have Silk touch or Fortune miner).

Westingham

Jul 29, 2019
Miner should dig up all the ores in Mindcrack. In previous versions it ignored only Traincraft ores, not sure if it was fixed or not.

On the side note, if you enchant IC2 drill with books, miner will dig using those enchants (so you can have Silk touch or Fortune miner).

Since the Traincraft ores are essentially useless, I'm not too fussed about them.

Good to know about the enchant, I wouldn't have thought of that.

Peppe

Jul 29, 2019
Did you know IC2 miners won't output to a relay, but will output directly into a turtle? :p

Found that out today and solved all my issues!

Automated quad IC2 Miner airship
- 6 Axis movement
- Total size 14x16x3 -- each miner is basically a 5x5x3 unit.

Turtles used for automating drill input/removal and as 'chest/relays' for the miner and pump to dump items.
Center is Redpower logic used to cycles between drilling, pipe retraction, moving and back to drilling. Could probably replace all the logic with a computer doing the same cycle, but try to keep computercraft out of it.
Computercraft terminal is just to set the direction of movement -- was swapping cable colors manually. Thinking of making a directional control floor above to set the direction to automine.

Think i forgot an off button ;)
Pics:
7PSCYsC.jpg

jQHS8JQ.jpg

Logic for the mining cycle is basically 2 latches with a reset, so it has a 3 state cycle.
jFAjd71.jpg

Turtles ftw
tqbvtJu.jpg

CC Programs all running on startup.

in front of Pump:
Code:
print( os.getComputerLabel() )
while true do
    print( os.getComputerLabel() .. " Unloading items..." )
    for n=1,16 do
        turtle.select(n)
        turtle.drop()
    end
    turtle.select(1)
    sleep(10)
end

In front of Miner:

Code:
local lastItem = 0
while true do
    print( os.getComputerLabel() .. " Unloading items..." )
    for n=1,16 do
        turtle.select(n)
        if turtle.dropUp() then
            lastItem = 0
        end
    end
    turtle.select(1)
    if lastItem > 6 then
        print( os.getComputerLabel() .. " Redstone Signal On..." )
        redstone.setBundledOutput("back", colors.orange) --change color for each miner turtle.
    else
        print( os.getComputerLabel() .. " Redstone Signal Off..." )
        redstone.setBundledOutput("back", 0)
    end
    lastItem = lastItem + 1
    sleep(10)
end

Drill manager:
Code:
while true do
    sleep(1)
    if redstone.testBundledInput("back", colors.white) == true then
        sleep(1)
        turtle.drop()
    else
        turtle.suck()
    end
end

Directional computer:
Code:
while true do
    if rs.getInput("right") then
        redstone.setOutput("front", false)
        print("Moving Enabled")
        os.pullEvent("redstone")
        if rs.getInput("front") then
            -- Left
            --redstone.setBundledOutput("back", colors.red)

-- Right
            --redstone.setBundledOutput("back", colors.blue)

-- Forward
            --redstone.setBundledOutput("back", colors.gray)

-- Reverse
            redstone.setBundledOutput("back", colors.lightGray)

sleep(1)
            redstone.setBundledOutput("back", 0)
        else

end        
    else
        print("Moving Disabled")
        redstone.setOutput("front", true)
        os.pullEvent("redstone")
    end
end
The miner turtle's do the real magic. After about 60 seconds of no items it turns on a redstone signal. When all 4 are on it trips the latch to go to the next state. It will pull up tubes, then idle again and trip the next state (move), then the moving command will reset the latches to trigger mining.

Reactions: noah_wolfe

Peppe

Jul 29, 2019
Actually, they do (see previous example) .. but I'm glad you thought otherwise, because that is a nice logic setup!
I swear i tested that over the weekend and it would not output to a relay. Was that in monday's patch or something?

At any rate glad i switched to turtles. The turtle acts as a relay and a timer for the last time an item came through, which you can do with redpower only, but not in a single block. The turtle activates it's colored cable when it hasn't seen an item in about a minute. I do not know if they are more or less lag, but i suspect less. You can slow the relay script way down -- I randomly picked 10 seconds, so most of the time the rig is just digging and then every 10 seconds the turtles clear their internal chests into the red power relay.

My goal was to build it on the cheap, so i can hopefully make it in my survival world. I think i achieved that. No real fancy machines or complicated scripts. You only need 1 axis of movement initially, so you could build over an ocean and stock up resources.

Might be worth it to make the one computer move the rig in a pattern - like go east 5 mining cycles then south one cycle and west 5 cycles. and either return back to the start or maybe that is a wireless signal option -- track how many cycles it went in a direction and be able to call it back. Basically treat the whole rig like a giant turtle.

Milaha

Jul 29, 2019
I swear i tested that over the weekend and it would not output to a relay. Was that in monday's patch or something?

At any rate glad i switched to turtles. The turtle acts as a relay and a timer for the last time an item came through, which you can do with redpower only, but not in a single block. The turtle activates it's colored cable when it hasn't seen an item in about a minute. I do not know if they are more or less lag, but i suspect less. You can slow the relay script way down -- I randomly picked 10 seconds, so most of the time the rig is just digging and then every 10 seconds the turtles clear their internal chests into the red power relay.

My goal was to build it on the cheap, so i can hopefully make it in my survival world. I think i achieved that. No real fancy machines or complicated scripts. You only need 1 axis of movement initially, so you could build over an ocean and stock up resources.

Might be worth it to make the one computer move the rig in a pattern - like go east 5 mining cycles then south one cycle and west 5 cycles. and either return back to the start or maybe that is a wireless signal option -- track how many cycles it went in a direction and be able to call it back. Basically treat the whole rig like a giant turtle.

If you mine over an ocean you will not get squat for copper, and depending on the depth of the ocean reduced tin. Also, it may throw your timer for a loop since it takes a while of getting no items from the miner to pump through the ocean, but that should be pretty easy to fix.

Peppe

Jul 29, 2019
If you mine over an ocean you will not get squat for copper, and depending on the depth of the ocean reduced tin. Also, it may throw your timer for a loop since it takes a while of getting no items from the miner to pump through the ocean, but that should be pretty easy to fix.

The only false positive would be if it hit for 60 seconds. If it hits water it will make a water cell, which goes from the pump -> pump turtle -> miner turtle (resets it's internal clock) -> relay -> tube network -> filter -> relay (buffer to allow both water and lava cells) -> liquid transposer -> empty cell back to pump's empty cell relay (buffer).

I have relays on the mining pipe, so technically you can run it all the up to the skylimit or the highest terrain gens.

Edit:
Updated the direction computer to act as an on/off (lever to its side -- holds it at moving stage), and red lever to advance the cycle manually -- allow you to pull the heads up ahead of schedule.
And testing out the railcraft world anchor. heard it works with frames and the chicken chunk loader does not?

Moved it and went many blocks away and it was process materials fine, so would confirm the world anchor works with frames.
b2fsTef.jpg

FavoriteFox

Jul 29, 2019
I love frame machines. I just finished my "Quad Quarry Monster". It's a floating frame that carries 4 quarries. It deploys the quarries, replaces energy cells as needed and moves 9 blocks when the quarries are finished. To make it more challenging I did it without using turtles, computers or wireless redstone. It also has a new (AFAIK) experimental type of drive: the jump drive. It moves more than twice as fast as an inchworm drive, but it can only move n blocks at a time.

Jojo.bacon

Jul 29, 2019
I love frame machines. I just finished my "Quad Quarry Monster". It's a floating frame that carries 4 quarries. It deploys the quarries, replaces energy cells as needed and moves 9 blocks when the quarries are finished. To make it more challenging I did it without using turtles, computers or wireless redstone. It also has a new (AFAIK) experimental type of drive: the jump drive. It moves more than twice as fast as an inchworm drive, but it can only move n blocks at a time.

Any instructions for making the jump drive? Sounds cool.

Peppe

Jul 29, 2019

Nice video, I liked the section on your state cells worked. I think i could remove my latch system and use state cells on my rig.

I might have missed it in the video -- i jumped around to mostly see the logic sections. Did you mention how you detect when the quarry is done?

Enigmius1

Jul 29, 2019
I've made a couple of frame vehicles so far. First was the Nether Crawler which was basically a 3-axis frame vehicle with force fields (include a block cutter forcefield on the front for burrowing through obstacles) and a bunch of deployer "bomb bays" on an automated loading/unloading system.

Then I decided to do something a little more on the practical side and ended up with the Mega Turtle, which is another 3-axis vehicle that uses block cutter forcefields and transposers to chew through mountains and such in any direction and gather up the materials for sorting/processing.