Frame airships

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Dragonfel

Jul 29, 2019
(shameless GregTech plug) you can use a buffer/translocator to provide both items and energy from the same side.

I wonder if there's some clever way to set up a fully automated system that would even refill the holes afterwards.

zooqooo

Jul 29, 2019
combine the gregtech translocator with the fractorization router, you'll have an automation force to be reckoned with.

Milaha

Jul 29, 2019
I hooked up a single IC miner to a frame ship and set it up to fully automate with a CC computer. It does not refill the hole, though I imagine you could make it do so with some (considerable) reworking. I thought about expanding it to use more miners, but with how much it pulls up with just one in a period of 24h it seemed downright silly to invest that much time into it.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Dispensers + fire charges make pretty sweet cannonballs.

You could mount a quarry on it, should you fly above someone- 'let em have it!

MFFS Block cutting forcefield is a real killer if used right.

I've only seen the DW20 spotlight for it, but in retrospect I think I prefered the look for the old arcane bore. Don't get me wrong I like the new one, but it doesn't seem as fast as the old. But I can imagine 2 huge frameships closing on each other, each filled with dozens of iron golems with players lobbing fire charges back and forth. >:D

I like the look of the new one, but prefer the mining animation of the old one.

Dark0_0firE

Jul 29, 2019
Ya Milaha I remember you posting about yours in one of my threads. Unfortunately I'm not good enough at LUA to automate a setup that way yet heh.

KhrFreak

Jul 29, 2019
HA! or wait until we can use SS on Animals, pair that with an igniter! Talk about raining cats and dogs. FLAMING CATS AND DOGS!!!![DOUBLEPOST=1359392266][/DOUBLEPOST]I think we might be getting a little sidetracked lol.

you can use SS on animals. i have a chicken spawner in my world in Mindcrack v7

noah_wolfe

Jul 29, 2019
I'd love to see some. I've been trying to hammer out a mobile mining ship with 4 IC2 miners in a creative mode world but its makin ma head hurt. 4 IC2 Miners with pumps, thermal generators and enderchests...

I use that exact setup. It's currently a really simple version though, that requires manual input of lava cans / mining pipes prior to mining. Not a big deal, but begging for more automation.

Since the miners with OV scanners cover a 9x9, they should be 8 blocks apart, and the platform should surround them. Here's a bottom view (GT thermal / Miner / Pump on each corner).

mrOf1ah.png

On top of each miner and pump is a relay facing inward to frubes that dump into a pair of ender chests (usually placed on those 2 spots without panels): The pump relay extracts full cans, the miner relay extracts ores (obviously) and pipes when the drills are removed.

qlV1Bk4.jpg

The 6-axis frame drive is courtesy of Rainwarrior's elegant 4x4x4 design, which can be found in this album: http://imgur.com/a/EtsNO

BT energy is resupplied with batteries ender-cycled from home base (similar setup to DWs frame bore). While this works fine, it is not as interesting as I would like, which to me is powering the platform with a windmill. Below is the original power source:

AsiolGV.png

Getting ground clearance for the windmill is not an issue; unfortunately when you frame a kinetic engine, the mill and turbine leave behind invisible blocks where they were originally placed. Running into them will hang up your airship. Breaking the invisible blocks is a major PITA (might only be able to do this in creative, I forget). Once in creative, you can actually block-pick them, and they return as Unnamed 752. Fairly sure this is a known RP2 issue that will get fixed in the future (I hope).

Dark0_0firE

Jul 29, 2019
Nice Noah, thanks for the pics... As for your windmill issue I have 2 suggestions. If you absolutely need it on frames you could use a turbine to start with, as it needs less clearance and also lasts longer and generates more power. You could also use a retriever to pull out the windmill/turbine which could tube into an ejector waiting for a signal to put it back. You would just need a couple more wireless signals, 1 to "unlimber" or packup your airship for movement, and another to set it back up.

noah_wolfe

Jul 29, 2019
Yea. Turbine was on my initial creative design, it just didn't look 'right' to me (and suffers from the same invisible block issue). In either case, both the mill and the turbine last for about ever. The nice thing about having them on-board is the ability to do some ore processing on ship with a BT engine. If you could flip the windmill vertically .. you'd have a nice helicopter design :)

jDtk6b9.jpg

zwahlm14

Jul 29, 2019
I was working on an entire base that DWARFED all your alls it had i think 16 quarrys that would get picked up before i moved the base because their mining area doesn't move with them. It was actually so big after i got the floor of and walls of the first level done which was about 15x15x5 ish i hit the one thousand block link limit of the redpower frame motor and had to up it to 10 thousand. i ufortunatley just got kinda discouraged though when ever i try to place the covers on anything on the outside because the outside at the top is like 25 square and placeing lots of them let alone in mid air is Extremely hard. I can post a couple of pics of it later if anyone wants, i can't right now. also i should mention it is controlled wirelessly and moves in all 6 directions.

Milaha

Jul 29, 2019
Yea. Turbine was on my initial creative design, it just didn't look 'right' to me (and suffers from the same invisible block issue). In either case, both the mill and the turbine last for about ever. The nice thing about having them on-board is the ability to do some ore processing on ship with a BT engine. If you could flip the windmill vertically .. you'd have a nice helicopter design :)
I don't see how you are automating that. How are you detecting when you need to pull the Miner out or when it is fully retracted? Does GT offer something? (I play in DW20)

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
Plenty of options... detect when it stops sending items, when it runs out of a known amount of mining pipe, or just a plain old timer and guesswork.

Milaha

Jul 29, 2019
Plenty of options... detect when it stops sending items, when it runs out of a known amount of mining pipe, or just a plain old timer and guesswork.

A: I already did it, curious about other methods.

B: your explanations are incomplete for actual implementation by a wide margin.

when it stops sending items,
breaks when it hits a large liquid patch, requires a bunch of extra handling (not too bad if you are using CC) if you want to operate from far up so you dont need constant y level changes.

when it runs out of a known amount of mining pipe,
how are you examining the inventory? Only one face accesses that slot, so whatever is detecting also has to be inserting. What if bedrock is 2 higher? are we just skipping the last few layers always to be safe?

or just a plain old timer and guesswork.
Yay for huge overkill on time spent and/or not hitting the bottom where the 'best' stuff is.

Milaha I don't believe that Noah's miner is automated. Not entirely at least.
Good call I missed that part

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
B: your explanations are incomplete for actual implementation by a wide margin.

Yes, I know. I am not writing a tutorial, I am giving ideas. If I were to describe every little detail, solution to every possible problem, block by block - what would be there for you to do? I could as well come to your world and build the whole thing for you.

Milaha

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, I know. I am not writing a tutorial, I am giving ideas. If I were to describe every little detail, solution to every possible problem, block by block - what would be there for you to do? I could as well come to your world and build the whole thing for you.
Nice straw man. I asked for an implementation, you gave (crappy, possibly unusable) ideas. I was pointing out that what you gave and what I requested were miles apart. If you do not want to answer the question that is asked, simply refrain from responding.

noah_wolfe

Jul 29, 2019
I don't see how you are automating that. How are you detecting when you need to pull the Miner out or when it is fully retracted? Does GT offer something? (I play in DW20)

Dark was correct (not auto'd yet), but the answer to your second question is yes. Abdiel hinted at it earlier with GT buffers and translocators, which are really perfect for a compact 'get drills in and out' scenario (great for nukes as well). Both of those blocks have the added benefit of transferring power to their output side, which makes thermal placement easier.

Here is a basic mockup of one miner, which can let you see the possibilities:

cGp1pxv.jpg

The Translocator on the left pulls a drill from the chest, and inputs to the North side of the miner (more on that below). The Translocator on the right pulls from the North side, and dumps into the Advanced Buffer. Retriever pulls drill out of buffer on pulse.

The trick here is having 2 drills in cycle - as long as the buffer is 'full' with a drill, the output translocator won't eject the drill from the miner. In essence, pulsing the retriever in this picture is your "stop mining and eject the pipes" switch. Pipes will autoeject to the relay collecting your ore. A filter on that last chest could be pulsed to start the process over, using whatever pulse method you wanted. You would need another translocator to handle pipe insertion.

A bit about the Miner's inventory, both for cardinal directions facing north (which the translocator uses) and inventory slot locations (computer, buffer, etc):

drLtk28.png

Anyhow, there's a lot of possibilities for automation here ;)