Feed the Beast vs Tekkit?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
My only problem with Technic is the incredibly toxic forum. You have zero place to go where you can get useful assistance on the Technic launcher. It's newbie-friendliness is roughly on par with an arbitrarily large value on a halving algorithm. It might not ever achieve zero, but it requires so many significant digits to parse that you might as well not bother.

Reactions: SatanicSanta

Qazplm601

Lord of the Tumbleweeds
Sep 21, 2013
Where else?
My only problem with Technic is the incredibly toxic forum. You have zero place to go where you can get useful assistance on the Technic launcher. It's newbie-friendliness is roughly on par with an arbitrarily large value on a halving algorithm. It might not ever achieve zero, but it requires so many significant digits to parse that you might as well not bother.
imo the communities are the biggest differences between technic and ftb.

Reactions: ThomazM

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
There is an ongoing internet war between the modpacks. It's mostly about money and internet fame, iirc.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Most of the official FTB people will give you a very neutral political response, but in reality they're competitors, so don't mention tekkit on the FTB forums, is what they want to say.

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
Most of the official FTB people will give you a very neutral political response, but in reality they're competitors, so don't mention tekkit on the FTB forums, is what they want to say.

Since when does competitors mean people can't mention them? Last time I checked none of us mods said Tekkit was a forbidden word.

We aren't answering the guy's question cause shockingly we have no clue how the Tekkit launcher works...

Dreamer1986

Jun 13, 2014
imo the communities are the biggest differences between technic and ftb.
I have to admit, I am quite happy with the support I got from the FTB Community to help me reach a decision.

I have opened a similar topic in the Tekkit Forum, and while there I got 13 replies in my thread, counting my own replies as well, here the replies are 95 (96) so far. Pretty nice, thank you :) .

And I think this is a useful and interesting discussion, not only for me.

Last edited:

egor66

Jul 29, 2019
Several of them have accounts. And I have one at Tekkit and Something Awful. I believe I am meeting the Tekkit crew for drinks next month. And they all give nice hugs.

Your soul will be damned for all eternity..no wait its Jaded never mind.

But in rl we are all just ppl have fun & dont get to drunk.

Reactions: Jadedcat

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
TBH, you find a pack to get you started, then after a while you start learning what you like and dislike within that pack, so you either look for another pack, or take the alternate route of building your own pack. All methods have pro's and cons.

For myself, I was Tekkit in 1.2.5, then heard about FTB, and started with Direwolf20 pack. Seemed to contain most of what I was used to, and some new stuff, plus a series to watch to learn the new stuff. Eventually I learnt what I liked/disliked, and none of the latest FTB packs matched my requirements, combined with the annoying update system that nukes your mod/config folder lead me to eventually take the plunge and work on my own pack.

FTB for me now is a great community, where you can actually talk with Devs and have semi-serious discussions. I feel that this community (players and devs combined) have helped shaped the development of many a mod.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
There is an ongoing internet war between the modpacks. It's mostly about money and internet fame, iirc.
Um. Who makes money? I know FTB doesn't make money. Does technic? I'm pretty sure they don't, cause Minecraft's and mod author's policies and all that. And that "war" ended ages ago.
dont get to drunk.
I always disagree with this advice... Always. :p

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
Um. Who makes money? I know FTB doesn't make money. Does technic? I'm pretty sure they don't, cause Minecraft's and mod author's policies and all that. And that "war" ended ages ago.

I always disagree with this advice... Always. :p

Um actually both FTB and Technic are businesses. Not for modpacks or mods. For t-shirts and such.