Feed the Beast vs Tekkit?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
if he were to choose between these i would have to say RR is the best for exploration.

Why? Yogscast Complete Pack is the same modpack with some additional mods (excluding RR-Experimental Versions).

I say go for YCP as it has more mods.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
to me more mods isn't equal to fun, thats why. but to them it might

The way we look at it is more about exploring the mod space. We can make mistakes and take chances in RR. You will see that with the integration of ICBM and Resonant Induction, it makes the pack a bit weird but it's definitely neat to try.

YCP has to be more stable. The audience is just not as trained to report bugs and work with us as the core RR audience is.[DOUBLEPOST=1402766716][/DOUBLEPOST]
I definitely agree.

For the most part, I enjoy themed packs much more than jumbo packs.

For SSP, I agree as well.

For servers, I think themes often lock many players into the same experience. That's only fun to me in a tightly collaborative mode, which can be hard to maintain.

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
I definitely agree.

For the most part, I enjoy themed packs much more than jumbo packs.

But they're both jumbo packs aimed at people who like jumbo packs, so in this instance the bigger pack the better. Also what @KirinDave said.[DOUBLEPOST=1402767284][/DOUBLEPOST]
The way we look at it is more about exploring the mod space. We can make mistakes and take chances in RR. You will see that with the integration of ICBM and Resonant Induction, it makes the pack a bit weird but it's definitely neat to try.

I'm very pleased with your decision to add those mods, but does it not crash every time you destroy a multipart block in RI?

Dreamer1986

Jun 13, 2014
But what is the difference between Yogscast Complete Pack & Resonant Rise? Because I see the same update information on both mod packs.

And I see that the pack is full of mods, just like Monster Pack. Isn't it almost the same if I choose either?

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
But what is the difference between Yogscast Complete Pack & Resonant Rise? Because I see the same update information on both mod packs.

And I see that the pack is full of mods, just like Monster Pack. Isn't it almost the same if I choose either?
Umm, err, no.

Reactions: Mevansuto

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
The biggest weakness of Dire's pack is that it has IC2. It doesn't fit with the rest of the pack at all, and is mostly there because Dire's always had IC2.[DOUBLEPOST=1402705680][/DOUBLEPOST]

By the way, Witchery is every bit a classic now. It's a staple magic mod, comparable direcly to Thaumcraft in terms of size and complexity, with what I think is arguably some of the most innovative design around a magic mod we've seen since Way launched Blood Magic. Even more than Botania, Witchery is a unique take on a tech mod with a magical theme.

Modpacks with magical elements lacking witchery should probably be considered outright broken.

Dont get me wrong, I really like Witchery. I became interested in Minecraft mods much the same way as the OP, watching direwolf vids. Dires pack might seem out of date and lacking to me, who has been doing this for a while but for the OP its brand new. I personally wouldnt suggest a direwolf-watching noob to use a hardcore themed pack like Magic Farm or "alternatives" like Horizons right out the gate thats for sure. Best bet would be a trimmed down Monster or Direwolf if you just want to get to playing. Thats just my advice.

Reactions: Mevansuto

Dreamer1986

Jun 13, 2014
Umm, err, no.
Okay, now I understand... After discovering the Reddit Post made by the creator of RR and Yog Complete, I see that they are similar, but Yog might have some things broken in it because of the requests made by Lewis. Anyway, interesting packs, balancing Technic, Magic, and Building. Thanks for mentioning it.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Dont get me wrong, I really like Witchery. I became interested in Minecraft mods much the same way as the OP, watching direwolf vids. Dires pack might seem out of date and lacking to me, who has been doing this for a while but for the OP its brand new. I personally wouldnt suggest a direwolf-watching noob to use a hardcore themed pack like Magic Farm or "alternatives" like Horizons right out the gate thats for sure. Best bet would be a trimmed down Monster or Direwolf if you just want to get to playing. Thats just my advice.
Why not? I was building my own packs since I started heavily playing with mods when BuildCraft was initially released in the summer of 2011. Granted, there weren't nearly as many mods, but still.

Reactions: Padfoote

MrCowle

Jul 29, 2019
When I first started playing modpacks, I chose the largest pack my computer could healthily run. I did this because, since I was new to the modded part of Minecraft and knew next to nothing about any of the mods, I thought it would be fun to try and learn everything I could about all of the mods. My two main goals were to obtain at least one of every item in some way, shape, or form and to find a good use for every item or block. It was a ridiculous goal, of course, but I had a lot of fun learning things about the mods.

(not directly related to the op but the original topic seems to have been derailed, so...)

Dreamer1986

Jun 13, 2014
Thank you all for the advice. After several restless days thinking if I should play Tekkit or a FTB pack, I finally reached a decision...

I am gonna play Resonant Rise from FTLauncher. It simply seems to have everything I want for now... But I can't wait to see how Agrarian Skies 3.0 and Magic World 3 will look :) .

Last edited:
Reactions: RedBoss

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
I would really like to start playing, but there are still so many things unclear about all these packs...

I started a Direwolf 20 game, but after seeing huge hats on the back of horses, I just couldn't continue. Also the minimap didn't seem to work and I don't know how to fix it.

Monster is just too crowded, and I am afraid that things will not work properly eventually because of that. Also, it doesn't have AM2, that seems interesting.

Magic World 2 looks great, but Hexxit, even if its outdated, also looks pretty nice, even without the texture pack, and has some nice mods that add some neat stuff for adventuring.

Also, I still don't understand what's the difference between the Tech World 2 and Tekkit, or why Horizons can compare with them for a tech install.

Test Pack Please Ignore I can't install because it says in the title to ignore it, and I respect their request :p .

Just an FYI, DW20 and most of the "general purpose" FtB packs include several minimaps although they are disabled by default in the launcher. It's incumbent on the user to go into the launcher, select the "Edit Mod Pack" button and enable the map they want to use, if any at all.

Dreamer1986

Jun 13, 2014
Just an FYI, DW20 and most of the "general purpose" FtB packs include several minimaps although they are disabled by default in the launcher. It's incumbent on the user to go into the launcher, select the "Edit Mod Pack" button and enable the map they want to use, if any at all.
Yes, thank you, I've discovered that a while back.

Darth Sith

Jul 29, 2019
The main modpacks on Technic is focused on many different subjects while on FTB it's mostly tech content packs.

MrCowle

Jul 29, 2019
The main modpacks on Technic is focused on many different subjects while on FTB it's mostly tech content packs.
Yes, I agree. Technic packs tend to have few tech mods, if any at all. The packs also have feature some mods which would not be a good fit for FTB packs.