ExtraBiomesXL vs. Biomes O Plenty vs. ? (for 1.6x+)

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

OMGFAVBIOMES?

• Total voters

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Thank you for your responses. I think these additions give more meaning to a biome. For instance the moss, I think will help with Thaumcraft research. :)

There are more things, too. For example, Jungle biomes have new spawns; Jungle Spiders. They are smaller and faster and tend to run in packs. They're like the mine spiders but I don't recall them being poisonous.

In general BoP adds a ton of stuff and works pretty well with Natura.

Reactions: southernfriedbb

southernfriedbb

Jul 29, 2019
I've got to give my vote to biomes o' plenty, like the interesting intersection of village gen and volcanic biome:
GplS3SD.jpg

and
EI4vOLW.png

Reactions: fergcraft

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
I am so going to use that mod instead of EBLXL when I take the time to make a 1.5 instance.

Those biomes look so cool, and if there is now compatibility with bees and other stuffs, then it's all good for me.

The only thing that made me not do that was the fact that there were quite a few problems with worldgen of quite a few mods.

southernfriedbb

Jul 29, 2019
I am so going to use that mod instead of EBLXL when I take the time to make a 1.5 instance.

Those biomes look so cool, and if there is now compatibility with bees and other stuffs, then it's all good for me.

The only thing that made me not do that was the fact that there were quite a few problems with worldgen of quite a few mods.
Like Dave mentioned up thread, the only real issue is no angry zombies (or tconstruct slimes, at least that i've noticed) but if you're not using Thaumcraft it's not really an issue.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Like Dave mentioned up thread, the only real issue is no angry zombies (or tconstruct slimes, at least that i've noticed) but if you're not using Thaumcraft it's not really an issue.

You can still find tconstruct slimes. They appear in a few biomes. The Beach biome appears frequently and offers vanilla generation everywhere.

southernfriedbb

Jul 29, 2019
You can still find tconstruct slimes. They appear in a few biomes. The Beach biome appears frequently and offers vanilla generation everywhere.
It appears, that I may need to explore some more. :)

slight Derail:

Noticed this when checking on Underground Biomes:
ExterminatorJeff said:
Civmaster, on 16 May 2013 - 08:13 AM, said:
Hey Jeff, I heard a rumor that your mod was merging with ExtraBiomes XL. Is there any truth to that?

That's correct. I'm actually the lead developer for the next version of ExtraBiomes XL
smile.png

Not sure if that is good news or bad news, because I use Underground Biomes with Biomes O Plenty.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Dire's latest spotlight is using BoP, I recognise the biomes in the background. Strong chance at least that future FTB DW20 packs will be BoP based.

Blazape

Jul 29, 2019
Dire's latest spotlight is using BoP, I recognise the biomes in the background. Strong chance at least that future FTB DW20 packs will be BoP based.
They are if you read my last post on this thread I already said that it is happening in 1.6.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
They are if you read my last post on this thread I already said that it is happening in 1.6.
I know, I'm supplying an alternate source of evidence that's more then just a mention on a stream.

Forgecraft 1 has BoP, so it's definitely in and replacing EXBL.

Revemohl

Jul 29, 2019
Just took a look at BoP, and wow, I feel like using it instead of EBXL for the exploration factor alone. At least it seems that nowadays it's more compatible with other mods, right?
It's not that I'm tired of EBXL, in fact I absolutely and non-ironically love how it spams villages everywhere in the worst possible biomes (don't you love those Redwood villages?), but... there's a billion biomes in ones of the other options. My worlds are going to end up with a few too much Gigabytes in size.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
What's nice is that the developer of BoP was going to abandon it, but community support has grown for it, and it's growing more mod compatible as a result.

Reactions: southernfriedbb

naughtyfins

Jul 29, 2019
I played around with BoP for a while today. It's very nice, but seems to be more bent towards exploration than building a lot. Maybe I just had bad luck, but I had trouble finding somewhere both scenic and not too cluttered to build in, compared to EBL anyway. After some thought, I decided to stick with my 1.52 EBL save for now. Don't feel like starting over, so I might migrate to BoP when I have some bags to hold all my stuff and then copy my player file across.

On a side note, for some reason TC3 Angry Zombies don't spawn in EBL biomes using the latest versions of both mods.

Dackstrus

Jul 29, 2019
Personally? I want both of them.

Sorry... I love my EBXL Autumn forest. Although, BoP has a few lava land places i'd love to poke around in. Maybe build some sort of castle.

ryanjh5521

Jul 29, 2019
At the time being I like Biomes O Plenty. ExtraBiomesXL is a nice mod, that serves its purpose. However that is subject to change because I hear ExtraBiomesXL 4 will have lots of cool new features. The most exciting rumor abouT EBXL is underground biomes. They also are looking for a Texture Artist, so I have reason to believe a lot of blocks custom to the mod will be added.

Reactions: NoobIsMeX