ExtraBiomesXL vs. Biomes O Plenty vs. ? (for 1.6x+)

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

OMGFAVBIOMES?

• Total voters

Lathanael

Jul 29, 2019
I finally found a canyon biome!

But it looks nowhere near what the screenshots earlier showed...
It's kind of high elevation, dirt-red colour, with patches of dirt, just like in the MCF thread for the mod.

I am so disapointed now, it was not worth the 25k blocks travel.*

EDIT:
After finding the post, he didn't mention that it was BOP, nor did he say how he obtained those images, my bad for taking that as a statement that one of the mods could do that kind of things.

I did find some nice biomes on the way, like an apple orchard, nicer looking swamps and a pink island.

It is a mod that does those landscapes. It is just not BOP but Terrain Control. And you only get such awesome terrainswith a lot of work.

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
I sadly don't have the time to customize every biomes to my liking.

But it's nice to know that such a mod exists, and a quick tour through their wiki shows that you can really do a lot with it.

Might get into in later, when I have more free time on my hands.

Mjw

Jul 29, 2019
Now if only someone made a mod that did that but randomly, those biomes were not done by hand right? They were done editing biome properties

Lathanael

Jul 29, 2019
Now if only someone made a mod that did that but randomly, those biomes were not done by hand right? They were done editing biome properties
Most of the showcases are done by hand. But it is possible to create configs that look really nice and are still good for the random fractal generator.

But in general the best results are achieved with the "FromImage" mode and handmade biomes

Maldroth

Jul 29, 2019
I'm going to stick with EBXL because in the recent versions they have most of the mod compatibility that I want. I also love the potential that v4 is going to have. I'm also excited that Underground Biomes is merging with it. I can't wait to try it out once v4 releases.

Mjw

Jul 29, 2019
I'm going to stick with EBXL because in the recent versions they have most of the mod compatibility that I want. I also love the potential that v4 is going to have. I'm also excited that Underground Biomes is merging with it. I can't wait to try it out once v4 releases.
but Bop is just as compatible that EBXL is

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
In the 1.4.7 version you needed an extra mod to deal with mod content from Thaumcraft and Forestry, but in later versions the change logs of BoP show a mass of inbuilt mod compatibility.

southernfriedbb

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm I thought some people were saying in this thread that they are having a hard time finding certain mod content in the biomes.
I am having a problem with Thaumcraft angry zombies not spawning in the 0.5.2 version of BOP. I am also somewhat suspicious of the rarity of Tinker's construct's blue slimes and the various Ars Magica mobs. They spawn for me but nowhere near the frequency the do with vanilla biomes.

Mjw

Jul 29, 2019
I am having a problem with Thaumcraft angry zombies not spawning in the 0.5.2 version of BOP. I am also somewhat suspicious of the rarity of Tinker's construct's blue slimes and the various Ars Magica mobs. They spawn for me but nowhere near the frequency the do with vanilla biomes.
i've seen plenty of ars magica mobs, no slimes or angry zombies tho only happy zombies :p

naughtyfins

Jul 29, 2019
There was an update to TC3 today which apparently fixes Angry Zombies not spawning in mod-added biomes.

Is anyone else using the lastest (non-beta) version of Forestry and having trouble with bees in modded biomes? They keep flagging themselves as being in a hostile environment on world load, I have to break the apiaries and replace them to fix it. Very annoying.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
That problem has been there since 1.4.7. I had it on my first world with EXBL. I think the problem is with using old maps when a mod get's updated. My few apiaries were fine until I updated my DW20 pack.
I think you won't get that problem in brand new chunks, new mystcraft worlds, or a new game world.

One of the reasons I hate updating mod packs :D

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
In my custom Modpack I am using BOP for the first time. I like it. I like the Orchard biomes that add apple trees a lot, and there are very different and neat places to build homes. Also, BOP adds an item called mudballs that can be used very early game for armor. I like XBXL because there aren't a million biomes and they are much larger. Both are great mods, and I suggest you try both out to see which one you like more.

the3rdnumber

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, because BoP is actually in game and working. EX4 isnt.

Also those changes are great, (ive done my own biome creation and 256 height mountains and massive caves are awesome to behold) but if they dont massively improve the biomes themselves it all goes to waste. Of course its obvious they will do that, but it remains to be seen what they do. They need to expand biomes into new territories. Lame-ass snow biome after snow biome with one new tree or a redwood biome with ugly plain jane looking redwood trees is not creative and is old and sad and ready to be euthanized. We need some god damn lush areas modeled after amazing parts of the real world. I hope they do though, Im not set on one biome mod. Im set in the *best* biome mod that I can use now, and EX4 wont be for a few months. As they develop I hope people dont just sit and say how cooool it looks. Be critical. I want EX4 to be better than good enough, and the same for the next version of BoP or anything new that pops up as a contender.

On that site they have an image where everyone thinks it looks so coool and 'polished'
1.png

And to be honest it looks like shit. My own dumbass could produce this in Terrain control with a few config changes.

We should be aiming higher and even better than the following examples;
dEcGQkF.jpg

20120501231ksyur4b9md.png

130422113744188690.jpg

ForestCaveFallsAndLake.jpg

etc

Add in a mod like Forgotten Nature for *needed details* and then you have yourself my sort of Biome mod.
[DOUBLEPOST=1368666405][/DOUBLEPOST]
That makes no sense.

If you can turn off the mods you don't like, they are irrelevant. You just pick the mod that has the biomes you like most and ignore the ones you dont like.

Hey, it's hilarious but you just pasted a picture with the terraingen made for my server. The last picture you posted, login to play.pleadiacraft.com, I swear they arethe same....
Funny shit xD

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
Hey, it's hilarious but you just pasted a picture with the terraingen made for my server. The last picture you posted, login to play.pleadiacraft.com, I swear they arethe same....
Funny shit xD

What are you talking about, guy? Terragen wasnt "made for your server" anymore than normal world get was "made for your server"