ExtraBiomesXL vs. Biomes O Plenty vs. ? (for 1.6x+)

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

OMGFAVBIOMES?

• Total voters

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
newcave1.jpg

I want to make a base here!

Lathanael

Jul 29, 2019
Yup, TG is great, but what is really going to matter is how its used. Its a powerfull tool, and like photoshop, some people might put lens flair coming out of their cats ass, while others can create awesome digital paintings. No one wants lensflaircatsass biomes if you get what im saying here! ;D

Have you guys contacted people like mysource over at the TG forums? It would be really great to get some of those creative minds contributing to the project to really utilize what EBXL4 will have to offer.
While i like what mysource has done so far there is one problem:

He is using the "FromImage" mode of TerrainControl. You can not explore this world for 50k blocks in one direction and always find new things. For a standard minecraft world we actually want the somehow random, fractal mode. which doesn't generate as awesome worlds as the "FromImage" mode can.

Mjw

Jul 29, 2019
well EBXL4 looks good but I'll stick with Bop till it comes out. the screenshots look good but will there be as much attention to detail as Bop has? such as moss and bushes.

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
While i like what mysource has done so far there is one problem:

He is using the "FromImage" mode of TerrainControl. You can not explore this world for 50k blocks in one direction and always find new things. For a standard minecraft world we actually want the somehow random, fractal mode. which doesn't generate as awesome worlds as the "FromImage" mode can.
Non-image map gen can be made to look like those, it is just harder to do and more limited. He has made many of those and using imagemap in the way he is is ideal to show off his biome creations. I dont have a huge amount of experience with it but most of what I saw can still be done with classic generation, island biomes, boarder biomes etc. Any limitations I expect the EBXL and TG developers to want to bridge

It really just seems to be a matter of having the ability to layer biomes and saved layered biome creations as a new SuperBiome type as he has done in each of his island examples. As he states on the site;
4 new biomes (Peak, High, Medium and MountainForest)
are used to create the “Rocky Mountain” Range landscape.
RockyMuntains.jpg

So he basically creates mini biomes as brushes and layers them opn each other to make something much more dynamic and realistic rather than trying to make one single biome fill a roll that is way too complex for one. The great thing about tyhat if the mini biomes can be used in other superbiome types or even on their own as smaller spawns. The result is a massive amount of biome possibilities

Imagemapping is great for full control, but I too like to know my world is generating on its own, and places I visit are 100% never seen before and a surprise to me. I still think having artists like him on the project would really be able to utilize the tool more to its full potential.

Reactions: Whovian

Jess887cp

Jul 29, 2019
Those mountains do look intense, as does that huge hole, but one of the things I'm conderned about is the first few nights. Usually you explore around for a cool place to live, and superbiomes make that much harder (for me, at least.)

Lathanael

Jul 29, 2019
Non-image map gen can be made to look like those, it is just harder to do and more limited. He has made many of those and using imagemap in the way he is is ideal to show off his biome creations. I dont have a huge amount of experience with it but most of what I saw can still be done with classic generation, island biomes, boarder biomes etc. Any limitations I expect the EBXL and TG developers to want to bridge

It really just seems to be a matter of having the ability to layer biomes and saved layered biome creations as a new SuperBiome type as he has done in each of his island examples. As he states on the site;
4 new biomes (Peak, High, Medium and MountainForest)
are used to create the “Rocky Mountain” Range landscape.
<pic was here>
So he basically creates mini biomes as brushes and layers them opn each other to make something much more dynamic and realistic rather than trying to make one single biome fill a roll that is way too complex for one. The great thing about tyhat if the mini biomes can be used in other superbiome types or even on their own as smaller spawns. The result is a massive amount of biome possibilities

Imagemapping is great for full control, but I too like to know my world is generating on its own, and places I visit are 100% never seen before and a surprise to me. I still think having artists like him on the project would really be able to utilize the tool more to its full potential.

<vid was here>

Oh i know what is possbile with TC. (And please make sure you insert an edit note into your post if you do so, i wouldn't have noticed your edit at all if there were more than 1 new post)
The problem is that the amount of work needed compared to the "FromImage" mode is way higher than what the results are worth.

Dackstrus

Jul 29, 2019
My only issue with the new way of making biomes is i won't be able to find a large area just covered with the autumn forest trees....

Sadly, that's a really big issue for me... I guess i'll be giving myself tons of saplings and make my own forest when i start a world now.

Elsewise i love the height those mountains are at. Always did hate how mountains and such never went all that high off sea level.

Edit: I watched videos. I dunno what to say now honestly.

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
Oh i know what is possbile with TC. (And please make sure you insert an edit note into your post if you do so, i wouldn't have noticed your edit at all if there were more than 1 new post)
The problem is that the amount of work needed compared to the "FromImage" mode is way higher than what the results are worth.

Its true that now it would take a lot of work, but as I mentioned if they are actively working on it, they could make it 10x easier. All that is needed is good layering and masking tools for islands/boarder biomes. That would be huge and make all those linked biomes 'easy' to create in a dynamically generated world. However even though some clever ID system temp/type this could be done automatically by given certain biomes a random chance at having a certain island biome also spawn, and in turn have that be attached to a family of biomes that make up its more complex island part. Or it could just rerply on a imagemap that dynamically renders like that, and is used to read off of when rendering the world itself.

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
My only issue with the new way of making biomes is i won't be able to find a large area just covered with the autumn forest trees....

This made no sense to me. There is nothing limiting creation of autumn forest biomes with these newer methods. Why would you think that? Infact, any biome currently made can be made through these methods far better.

Its just a matter of making the terrain look like you want, then adding trees/shrubbery/animals/berries/flowers/other details

Dackstrus

Jul 29, 2019
This made no sense to me. There is nothing limiting creation of autumn forest biomes with these newer methods. Why would you think that? Infact, any biome currently made can be made through these methods far better.

Its just a matter of making the terrain look like you want, then adding trees/shrubbery/animals/berries/flowers/other details

I see you ignored my edit. Good job.

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
I finally found a canyon biome!

But it looks nowhere near what the screenshots earlier showed...
It's kind of high elevation, dirt-red colour, with patches of dirt, just like in the MCF thread for the mod.

I am so disapointed now, it was not worth the 25k blocks travel.*

EDIT:
After finding the post, he didn't mention that it was BOP, nor did he say how he obtained those images, my bad for taking that as a statement that one of the mods could do that kind of things.

I did find some nice biomes on the way, like an apple orchard, nicer looking swamps and a pink island.