ExtraBiomesXL vs. Biomes O Plenty vs. ? (for 1.6x+)

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

OMGFAVBIOMES?

• Total voters

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
You are still sure that Biomes o plenty is better?

Yes, because BoP is actually in game and working. EX4 isnt.

Also those changes are great, (ive done my own biome creation and 256 height mountains and massive caves are awesome to behold) but if they dont massively improve the biomes themselves it all goes to waste. Of course its obvious they will do that, but it remains to be seen what they do. They need to expand biomes into new territories. Lame-ass snow biome after snow biome with one new tree or a redwood biome with ugly plain jane looking redwood trees is not creative and is old and sad and ready to be euthanized. We need some god damn lush areas modeled after amazing parts of the real world. I hope they do though, Im not set on one biome mod. Im set in the *best* biome mod that I can use now, and EX4 wont be for a few months. As they develop I hope people dont just sit and say how cooool it looks. Be critical. I want EX4 to be better than good enough, and the same for the next version of BoP or anything new that pops up as a contender.

On that site they have an image where everyone thinks it looks so coool and 'polished'
1.png

And to be honest it looks like shit. My own dumbass could produce this in Terrain control with a few config changes.

We should be aiming higher and even better than the following examples;
dEcGQkF.jpg

20120501231ksyur4b9md.png

130422113744188690.jpg

ForestCaveFallsAndLake.jpg

etc

Add in a mod like Forgotten Nature for *needed details* and then you have yourself my sort of Biome mod.
[DOUBLEPOST=1368666405][/DOUBLEPOST]
I know, but that is how I see which biomes mod is better.
That makes no sense.

If you can turn off the mods you don't like, they are irrelevant. You just pick the mod that has the biomes you like most and ignore the ones you dont like.

zbeeblebrox

Jul 29, 2019
Biggles - are those example images terrain you created procedurally? They look pretty amazing.

I'm waiting for the biome mod where the more fantastical a biome is, the further away from spawn you need to go to find it. So near spawn, everything is pretty much vanilla. Go 500m away, things get interesting. Go 1k away, things get pretty cool. Go even further away, and things start going crazy.

At least, that's what I'd like to see. It's less about total overall variety for me, and more about how that variety is reached. The way things are now with biome gen - vanilla or otherwise - is too homogenous. Load new worlds enough times and you'll see everything there is to see eventually, having never left spawn.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019

Also those changes are great, (ive done my own biome creation and 256 height mountains and massive caves are awesome to behold) but if they dont massively improve the biomes themselves it all goes to waste. Of course its obvious they will do that, but it remains to be seen what they do. They need to expand biomes into new territories. Lame-ass snow biome after snow biome with one new tree or a redwood biome with ugly plain jane looking redwood trees is not creative and is old and sad and ready to be euthanized. We need some god damn lush areas modeled after amazing parts of the real world. I hope they do though, Im not set on one biome mod. Im set in the *best* biome mod that I can use now, and EX4 wont be for a few months. As they develop I hope people dont just sit and say how cooool it looks. Be critical. I want EX4 to be better than good enough, and the same for the next version of BoP or anything new that pops up as a contender.

On that site they have an image where everyone thinks it looks so coool and 'polished'
1.png

And to be honest it looks like shit. My own dumbass could produce this in Terrain control with a few config changes.

dEcGQkF.jpg

20120501231ksyur4b9md.png

130422113744188690.jpg

ForestCaveFallsAndLake.jpg

etc

Add in a mod like Forgotten Nature for *needed details* and then you have yourself my sort of Biome mod.
[DOUBLEPOST=1368666405][/DOUBLEPOST]
That makes no sense.

If you can turn off the mods you don't like, they are irrelevant. You just pick the mod that has the biomes you like most and ignore the ones you dont like.

We should talk. We should definitely talk.

zbeeblebrox

Jul 29, 2019
Are both of the mods compatible? If I loaded them both up simultaneously, or switched them up, what errors would come up? That's how I gauge most similar mods.

I believe they are, but you'll need to do a bit of fiddling in the configs for each of them, and for other mods that involve world gen. And you'll want to turn off a number of redundant biomes as well. It'll take some trial and error to get it in working order, but it is not impossible.

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
That is how I judge a biome mod. I know I can do that.
Then I judge you by something as nonsensical. Your member ID divided by the number of letters in the word "penis" minus 4,114.2.

Comes out to 666.

You're clearly the penisdevil because: math. Don't even try and argue with the evidence this is how i judge people, youve been found out good day sir.

More importantly:

Sorry guys I didnt mean to imply *I* made those biomes. Im just saying those are more what Im expecting/hoping for in the future of MC Biome mods. Dont let your exceptions be low because of what youre used to in the game!
The first two I could probably emulate myself (most of you could with a few hours) in Terrain Control. They arnt that hard. The second two however take more skill/experience than I have with the program.

Link: http://dev.bukkit.org/server-mods/terrain-control/

Jess887cp

Jul 29, 2019
The way I see how XBXL works is that it has so many biomes it's extremely hard to find the ones you want. I was lucky and got an equal division between most of the base biomes except for desert, which I never saw at all.

All I can hope is that compatibility doesn't become too much of an issue.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
One of the reasons I like Biomes o Plenty is how totally weird and surprising the Biomes can be. Out exploring last night I came across something right out of Narnia.

2013-05-15_23.28.28.png

Reactions: fergcraft

Greyed

Jul 29, 2019
I'm thinking of doing the BoP+Natura+UB combo on my next world

After reading this thread, me too. This world I dropped EBXL and honestly haven't missed it. In fact, I was surprised to see how many biomes Vanilla actually has. I also found a great place for a base whereas it has been dozens of spawns since I've been really enthused by anything in EBXL. But with all the examples from BoP I'm willing to give it a try.

Plus, unless they seriously change ore generation, the mountains will be nothing but stone.

What needs to be done with ore generation is to scrap the static Y axis generation and make it Stone - Y. We can see that the world, when generated, is basically several blocks of dirt laid over top stone. IE, presuming a perfectly flat world and perfectly flat layers, Y1 is bedrock, Y2-Y60 is stone, Y61-Y64 is dirt. The ore distribution we get from TE works great for this ideal distribution of land. But the land isn't distributed ideally. So instead of finding Tin/Copper concentrated around Y42, Gold around Y24, Diamonds around Y10, redefine it as Copper/Tin at Stone-Y20, Gold at Stone-Y40 and Diamond at Stone-Y50. This would mean those high mountains would have Copper/Tin end above Y100, and have a buttload of diamonds centered around Y40 or so.

Lame-ass snow biome after snow biome

Hey, I like snow biomes. My favorite base location was on an SMP server with RP2 and EBXL. I found a volcano in a snow biome. Carved my rooms out of the basalt surrounding the central lava chute which I wrapped in glass. The snowy exterior was beautiful and a great contrast for the hellish interior.

Reactions: Lambert2191

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Once found a barley field biome, slap bang in the middle of it was a stone arch/oval. Discovered it when the sun was rising through the arch. Was impressive looking.

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
Hey, I like snow biomes. My favorite base location was on an SMP server with RP2 and EBXL. I found a volcano in a snow biome. Carved my rooms out of the basalt surrounding the central lava chute which I wrapped in glass. The snowy exterior was beautiful and a great contrast for the hellish interior.

I like snow biomes as well. Just not 5k blocks worth of the same unremarkable terrain. We need rare biome spawns. We need strange rare ice structures and rare iceplants and things that want to murder us in verious ways to protect their chest full of sweet sweet loot ect ect. Something to do in those vast places. Goes for any biome but snow was like 40% of my last world

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
After reading this thread, me too. This world I dropped EBXL and honestly haven't missed it. In fact, I was surprised to see how many biomes Vanilla actually has. I also found a great place for a base whereas it has been dozens of spawns since I've been really enthused by anything in EBXL. But with all the examples from BoP I'm willing to give it a try.
Plus, unless they seriously change ore generation, the mountains will be nothing but stone.[/quote]

What needs to be done with ore generation is to scrap the static Y axis generation and make it Stone - Y. We can see that the world, when generated, is basically several blocks of dirt laid over top stone. IE, presuming a perfectly flat world and perfectly flat layers, Y1 is bedrock, Y2-Y60 is stone, Y61-Y64 is dirt. The ore distribution we get from TE works great for this ideal distribution of land. But the land isn't distributed ideally. So instead of finding Tin/Copper concentrated around Y42, Gold around Y24, Diamonds around Y10, redefine it as Copper/Tin at Stone-Y20, Gold at Stone-Y40 and Diamond at Stone-Y50. This would mean those high mountains would have Copper/Tin end above Y100, and have a buttload of diamonds centered around Y40 or so.

Hey, I like snow biomes. My favorite base location was on an SMP server with RP2 and EBXL. I found a volcano in a snow biome. Carved my rooms out of the basalt surrounding the central lava chute which I wrapped in glass. The snowy exterior was beautiful and a great contrast for the hellish interior.[/quote]
My spawn area consists of medium sized islands and a lot of ocean. I've started in a Savanna, across a river is a BoP swamp, bordered by a dying forest. Across the ocean I can just make out another island with palm trees. Beyond the dying forest I located a redwood biome, in the middle of which was a village in a clearing. Beyond the swamp is a mushroom forest. The caves under this biome have moss growing on the rocks.
I've yet to find a true desert (found a small oasis desert with 1 cactus in it), or any snow. I think my minecraft world is a wet, warm humid place.

That Ore gen idea sounds perfect, mountains are usually associated with ores, so having a great big mountain in your way will also be rewarding if you go digging.

Reactions: Pericus

Pericus

Jul 29, 2019
Plus, unless they seriously change ore generation, the mountains will be nothing but stone.

...snip...

That Ore gen idea sounds perfect, mountains are usually associated with ores, so having a great big mountain in your way will also be rewarding if you go digging.

This makes me think, from what other than looks do biomes differ in BOP?
For instance I know from my experience with biomes XL in FTB ultimate the redwood forest leave zombies and skeletons live in the shade of the trees, swamp biomes have a higher chance rubber trees and in the jungle you can build a tree base in the foliage.

ApSciLiara

Jul 29, 2019
This makes me think, from what other than looks do biomes differ in BOP?
For instance I know from my experience with biomes XL in FTB ultimate the redwood forest leave zombies and skeletons live in the shade of the trees, swamp biomes have a higher chance rubber trees and in the jungle you can build a tree base in the foliage.
As far as I can tell, Mystic Groves spawn witches in the dark, and Ominous Woods have a lot of Endermen and cave spiders. Like, a lot.

Sent from my phone using black magic

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Indeed, some biomes have special mob spawning.
Some biomes will have more mobs surviving during the day. It's swamp biome has trees that make almost a solid ceiling.

BoP has small details, such as Moss that you can harvest to make mossy bricks/cobble stone, and swamps have algae "decoration".

Pericus

Jul 29, 2019
As far as I can tell, Mystic Groves spawn witches in the dark, and Ominous Woods have a lot of Endermen and cave spiders. Like, a lot.

Sent from my phone using black magic

Indeed, some biomes have special mob spawning.
Some biomes will have more mobs surviving during the day. It's swamp biome has trees that make almost a solid ceiling.

BoP has small details, such as Moss that you can harvest to make mossy bricks/cobble stone, and swamps have algae "decoration".

Thank you for your responses. I think these additions give more meaning to a biome. For instance the moss, I think will help with Thaumcraft research. :)

Whovian

Jul 29, 2019

-snip-

-snip-
etc

The first one looks awesome. The others (especially the cave next to the jungle) look infinitely more awesome, but the first one looks awesome.

Oh.
Oh wow.
Oh.
I had a thought.
I had a brilliant thought.

EBXL team, perhaps you want some help from Bioxx.

Reactions: Lambert2191