ExtraBiomesXL vs. Biomes O Plenty vs. ? (for 1.6x+)

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

OMGFAVBIOMES?

• Total voters

ahwtx

Jul 29, 2019
mfr betas?!?!

please enlighten me!

apologies to OP for the de-rail i'm about to initiate, but i also have to ask, how's resonant rise coming along? been enjoying it quite a bit thus far via youtube.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
mfr betas?!?!

please enlighten me!

apologies to OP for the de-rail i'm about to initiate, but i also have to ask, how's resonant rise coming along? been enjoying it quite a bit thus far via youtube.

http://bot.notenoughmods.com/1.5.2.html

The biggest problems: slow chunkgen, getting Mekanism power to not be absurdly better than every other EU powergen. This week I've reserved time to start contacting folks about permissions. Oh, I have 2 more episodes coming out soon. Last week was rough with the full server migration.

Bloodfrost

Jul 29, 2019
BoP is what i prefer too, it works fine with Ars Magicka and Thaumcraft as well, however i cannot say anything towards bees... I'm playing it on my 1.5.X world right now....

To me Extra Biomes is just... Jungle and Fir Trees... i hate them <_< lol.

Aetherr_

Jul 29, 2019
Here is how I see biomes mods. The number of positive biomes(ie Autum Woods, Meadows, Promise Land). Subtracted from the number of negative biomes (ie Bog, Canyon, Place with the cracked sand, ALL THE SNOW BIOMES). Which has the biggest difference.

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
Here is how I see biomes mods. The number of positive biomes(ie Autum Woods, Meadows, Promise Land). Subtracted from the number of negative biomes (ie Bog, Canyon, Place with the cracked sand, ALL THE SNOW BIOMES). Which has the biggest difference.

Or you can just turn the biomes you dont like, off, in the config? :confused:

ahwtx

Jul 29, 2019
it is possible, but it's not just a simple matter of adding the mod in via the launcher. you're gonna have id conflicts to sort out in your bop config. any version prior to 0.5.2 of bop uses quite a large number of id's.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Let's see, I disabled 2 biomes in BoP (Garden and Origin Valley) compared to countless EXBL ones.

Only "bad" thing so far is that I've yet to find a Jungle or Birch Forest. That affects my tree breeding, limited to Firs and Oaks for cross breeding. May have to go exploring mystcraft ages (note, I know I can use EE3 to convert a sapling to a different type, but I'm avoiding using EE3).

Reactions: Bigglesworth

tobi1449

Jul 29, 2019
Does anyone have a good strategy for replacing ebxl with BoP without generating a new map?
I thought of disabling all ebxl biomes and simply putting BoP in or does is there any better way?

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
You can do that, so that no further EXBL biomes are generated, but you'll encounter biome chunk errors, where the new chunks generated will be totally different to old chunks (so you might get a glacier chunk next to a desert chunk for example), not a issue, just looks bad.

There's a number of ID conflicts to sort out. If you are using DW20 pack, I could supply my configs. I had to change twilight forest and buildcraft (and Xeno Req) IDs to get everything working.

thejoshknight

Jul 29, 2019
Biomes o plenty is better now, but with what is comming in EBXL4, EBXL will be better. Far better.

http://extrabiomes.net/blog/2012/12/21/design-goals/

Part of it is done by merging with Underground biomes and Forgotten nature.

You are still sure that Biomes o plenty is better?

Until I see all of the planned stuff from EBXL working together, and compatible with everything else, absolutely. Planned features don't improve or make a mod worse for me, it's what's actually in the game.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Biomes o plenty is better now, but with what is comming in EBXL4, EBXL will be better. Far better.

http://extrabiomes.net/blog/2012/12/21/design-goals/

Part of it is done by merging with Underground biomes and Forgotten nature.

We've known about this for awhile, and that's cool stuff. I run a BoP+Natura+UB server and our players love it.

You are still sure that Biomes o plenty is better?

Yes. Future promises are great, but I am playing minecraft today. BoP's success hopefully will spur EBXL to improve. And it's not like BoP is standing still either. They've got their own plans as well. Today, right now, BoP is the better option and it shows. A lot of people are switching to it.

Reactions: YX33A

Jess887cp

Jul 29, 2019
Are both of the mods compatible? If I loaded them both up simultaneously, or switched them up, what errors would come up? That's how I gauge most similar mods.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
I'm thinking of doing the BoP+Natura+UB combo on my next world

I'm not actually keen on the direction that EXBL is going, by making use of the max height for world gen. Sure, this makes mountains, but mountains require a larger footprint to be realistic. Players already moan when they have large biomes to traverse, especially oceans. Mountains would be even worse, as they are not flat. Plus, unless they seriously change ore generation, the mountains will be nothing but stone.
What some mod needs to do is add an ore that generates only in the highest terrain, to give a reason for climbing those mountains