Doing some research in the newest IC2_Exp build[138]

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
And that's being taken over by Applied Energistics and Extra Utilities... Although, without BC LP couldn't exist... Hmm...
assuming difference in item`s price and logic behind item transfer, those mods are simply in different categories, which makes it very unlikely for one to completely to take over other.

ICountFrom0

Forum Addict
Aug 21, 2012
Vermont
So, I've been thinking on it.
I've decided that my view makes the downside of GT such that there's one final end game machine set. They will tend to be put together in one way, due to compatibility and incompatibilities, automatic this with translocator that, in one optimal setup.
You tend to get there down one path that does not branch much at all. Any two people will be having mostly the same experience, once you adjust for random bad luck of material shortage, that just averages out to "mine longer" and becomes the same experience.
Even when you add additional mods, because of the way GT has control and is written, many of those paths don't branch or fork, so much as get lead back into the core again.
It's topiary, instead of a forest.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is, I'm watching what I can, and hoping to see that the family tree of modding still forks.

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
Yes. I like Buildcraft's item transport. Well, I especially like it for small sorting systems. For my base, I use usually a combination of AE and LP. Although AE on it's own can handle everything.

I like a combination pack. I like indeed, translocators a lot.

Could you shed some light on factorization's possibilities?

I used Routers a lot in my ore processing room. I had a bank of induction smelters with pulverisers that were fed with cobble from my quarry or if that was insufficient, I had some igneous extruders that pumped cobble into my logistics pipes network. Instead of sinking cobble into all the pulverisers seperately though, I sunk it into an iron chest with a translocator supplying a router with a machine filter upgrade which then distributed all the cobble among the pulverisers. That way, all the induction smelters had sand at all times. This was convenient. Even more essential in my opinion was having a router supplying the smelters with ores. I had to use at least 2 item sink modules to supply all the ores. Instead of setting up chassis pipes and item sink modules for every machine, it was better to have one item sink module supplying the router and to have the router distribute ores evenly. Naturally, I had a chest and translocator buffer here too. Another excellent use I had for the router was populating the DSUs. I had about 30 DSUs that contained most farmed resources and quarried resources. Instead of using my storage buses to allocate the resources as soon as they come into the AE network, I fed the router into a chest(buffer) translocator router combo using my logistics pipes network. I know that these are hardly revolutionary ideas but I found routers to be extremely useful in my last play through.

Thanks for the tip in your other post too. In my last playthrough I used a provider/supplier pipe combo connected to my AE network to keep an ender chest stocked with useful travel items like cobble/torches/food etc. It worked fine but I think the translocator option might be better. Of course, I could use that to simulate a standard export bus too, but I reckon I only ever had cause to use one export bus in my entire last playthrough. It was manually operated to fill up DSUs via the router if I was setting up a new one with things that I already had a lot of in storage. It was disconnected most of the time. I did not use a single import bus. I just used other transport methods to feed back to a central cluster of ME interfaces.

Reactions: netchip

netchip

Jul 29, 2019
I used Routers a lot in my ore processing room. I had a bank of induction smelters with pulverisers that were fed with cobble from my quarry or if that was insufficient, I had some igneous extruders that pumped cobble into my logistics pipes network. Instead of sinking cobble into all the pulverisers seperately though, I sunk it into an iron chest with a translocator supplying a router with a machine filter upgrade which then distributed all the cobble among the pulverisers. That way, all the induction smelters had sand at all times. This was convenient. Even more essential in my opinion was having a router supplying the smelters with ores. I had to use at least 2 item sink modules to supply all the ores. Instead of setting up chassis pipes and item sink modules for every machine, it was better to have one item sink module supplying the router and to have the router distribute ores evenly. Naturally, I had a chest and translocator buffer here too. Another excellent use I had for the router was populating the DSUs. I had about 30 DSUs that contained most farmed resources and quarried resources. Instead of using my storage buses to allocate the resources as soon as they come into the AE network, I fed the router into a chest(buffer) translocator router combo using my logistics pipes network. I know that these are hardly revolutionary ideas but I found routers to be extremely useful in my last play through.

Thanks for the tip in your other post too. In my last playthrough I used a provider/supplier pipe combo connected to my AE network to keep an ender chest stocked with useful travel items like cobble/torches/food etc. It worked fine but I think the translocator option might be better. Of course, I could use that to simulate a standard export bus too, but I reckon I only ever had cause to use one export bus in my entire last playthrough. It was manually operated to fill up DSUs via the router if I was setting up a new one with things that I already had a lot of in storage. It was disconnected most of the time. I did not use a single import bus. I just used other transport methods to feed back to a central cluster of ME interfaces.
The way I'd do it with AE: stick a ME Interface on a pulverizer, put in cobble->sand recipe and export sand into a induction smelter with the crafting option ;) This *should* work witha router.

I love LP, seeing all the items flash through the pipes is soooo awesome! Same for Translocators.

I have to admit your way is more challenging, tho :D

Reactions: casilleroatr

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
The way I'd do it with AE: stick a ME Interface on a pulverizer, put in cobble->sand recipe and export sand into a induction smelter with the crafting option ;) This *should* work witha router.

I love LP, seeing all the items flash through the pipes is soooo awesome! Same for Translocators.

I have to admit your way is more challenging, tho :D

Another thing I love with Logistics pipes is that they work with gate conditionals. You could for example have two induction smelters that have identically configured logistics pipes supplying them with ores. One smelter is stocked with rich slag and the other with sand. You can set the gates up to disable the pipe on the sandy smelter if you have rich slag present so you are always maximising your ore yield whenever possible! With further redstone wiring it should be possible to expand the setup with more banks of smelters.

Your way of keeping the pulveriser stocked is definitely an interesting idea. It would probably be more efficient at not spamming sand everywhere. There are no overflow issues with mine as the pulverisers and smelters are adjacent but I bet I am spending way more mj than is necessary to get all that sand. I don't know which will cost more energy, loads of pulverisers or the AE setup.

Reactions: netchip

Nebbie

Jul 29, 2019
induction smelter isnt that fast, and in fact, not from IC2.

the problem with hammer, is that you`re not likely to use it is past early game. in addition to that you have not only iron plates.
so you do save a bit of time early game but loose quite a lot time mid and late game. doesnt look like a valuable addition to me.
Induction Furnace*. The names are easy to mix up.

dtech100

Jul 29, 2019
A tip for you: make a wall of machines, stick some interfaces in the wall, and set the interfaces to export what you want. Stick a translocator on the interface and machine and it works ;)
Yeah it works like a charm. And to IC2 machines you simply insert export thing - export to ME interface - simple, elegant and if something can't be built in the wall you simply put a carpet on it :)

DriftinFool

Jul 29, 2019
I like the revamp of IC2. It really was old and untouched for so long. The multi tiered leveling they have added is nice. Having to make a few tools at the beginning and then being able to replace them with a machine later is good progression. By the time you have power, making the machines wouldn't be an issue. Some of the features such as ejector upgrades for machines and semi fluid gens are things I liked about GT. They are nice additions.

After seeing the new nuclear stuff in the DW20 video, I am really interested in learning more about it. Seems you get a lot more fuel/ore as well as more ways to use it. I would like to try something other than lava gen, steam boiler, or solar for power. Definitely going nuclear in my 1st FTB 1.6 world.
Keep up the good work guys.

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
I don't think you play or understand IC2. An Induction Smelter is extremely fast when kept on with a redstone signal or after processing a lot of stuff. You just need a flipped lever next to it and keep it powered while it builds up heat. Overclockers are just complete overkill. TE machines are the slow ones.
I've been playing IC2 since the early 1.2 era. I know about how the Induction Furnace works. I also know that one Advanced Solar Panel is going to keep it powered at 100% permanently. The Metal Former, on the other hand, is a stereotypical slow IC2 machine, which needs overclockers to be sped up past the level of the TE machines you described as slow.

It's not like I start with IC2 anymore either. TE isn't in 1.6 yet, but when it is I'll start with that. For now the TiC Smeltery is a vastly superior choice for ore doubling because it also unlocks Manahmanah. IC2 is good for late-game, but by that point plates are a nuisance and nothing else. The Metal Former is an added tedium factor to mid-late game IC2. Which happens to be when people use IC2 the most.

The other changes look interesting, it's just this one that's stupid and pointless.

Reactions: Lonewolf187

Tylor

Nov 24, 2012
BC isnt lacking. it has it`s own role, which is mainly item transport.
Now lots of mods and even vanilla can do logistics. BC role is quarries and especially fillers.[DOUBLEPOST=1379209058][/DOUBLEPOST]Aaan IC2 things are UU and Mining Laser.

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019
Now lots of mods and even vanilla can do logistics. BC role is quarries and especially fillers.[DOUBLEPOST=1379209058][/DOUBLEPOST]Aaan IC2 things are UU and Mining Laser.

Not even close. AE and LP lack in the fact that they require mass amounts of energy to continuously run. In early game, setting up simple BC transport system makes a huge difference sine it's so easy to work with. Also, if you have multiple bases or village type complex, having an AE system running from building A to point B is highly illogical as is setting up an AE system at both ends. Using simple BC transport pipes at one end can make transport really easy.

For example, I currently have a farm that produces potatoes and has a crusher that turns them into UE biofuel which then powers the farm. Since this farm is a hundred blocks away from my factory, running a cable that far away would be silly as it's power consumption would outweigh the benefit of the power source. Running transport pipes, which are as simple as glass and stone and energy free, is an easy way to get from my farm to my factory.

BC pipes are definitely not out of the picture. Their inexpensiveness makes them a very viable source of transport especially early in game.

netchip

Jul 29, 2019
Not even close. AE and LP lack in the fact that they require mass amounts of energy to continuously run. In early game, setting up simple BC transport system makes a huge difference sine it's so easy to work with. Also, if you have multiple bases or village type complex, having an AE system running from building A to point B is highly illogical as is setting up an AE system at both ends. Using simple BC transport pipes at one end can make transport really easy.

For example, I currently have a farm that produces potatoes and has a crusher that turns them into UE biofuel which then powers the farm. Since this farm is a hundred blocks away from my factory, running a cable that far away would be silly as it's power consumption would outweigh the benefit of the power source. Running transport pipes, which are as simple as glass and stone and energy free, is an easy way to get from my farm to my factory.

BC pipes are definitely not out of the picture. Their inexpensiveness makes them a very viable source of transport especially early in game.
As far as I know, transporting items through BC pipes with LP, doesn't cost power. That way, you can access your items also at your farm.

For Applied Energistics, Quantum Bridge. Power is cheap.

Edit: what so you use for the farm? I play UE-only, well, with BC and Forestry and a few other mods.

Siro

Jul 29, 2019
Quantum Bridge? To implement an early game power generation system? I don't think so!
One generally shouldn't put down hundreds of meters of pipe when one is short on resources (nor should one ever for chunk loading/unloading reasons) . It wasn't a great example. I do use small sections of BC pipe later on to optimize power consumption, which is where the strength of BC pipes lie. They're "cheap" to make, but if every last one of them required multiple diamonds I'd still end up making them.

That being said, I also tend to start with IC2 generators over any sort of engine. They'll burn anything that can be used as fuel in a furnace, shut themselves off when not needed, store a small amount of power and can charge any EU using device. They also scale well in terms of adding additional capacity and can be reused in recipes for other power generation devices.

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019
As far as I know, transporting items through BC pipes with LP, doesn't cost power. That way, you can access your items also at your farm.

For Applied Energistics, Quantum Bridge. Power is cheap.

Edit: what so you use for the farm? I play UE-only, well, with BC and Forestry and a few other mods.

Logistics Pipes use power. It requires a Power Junction to transfer power to the pipes. Quantum Bridges aren't particularly cheap either. Each side of the bridge requires a bit of power and for early game, that's expensive.

As for farms, I use MFR farms for now. I like to switch it up sometimes. I generally use golems or Steve's carts.
One generally shouldn't put down hundreds of meters of pipe when one is short on resources (nor should one ever for chunk loading/unloading reasons) . It wasn't a great example. I do use small sections of BC pipe later on to optimize power consumption, which is where the strength of BC pipes lie. They're "cheap" to make, but if every last one of them required multiple diamonds I'd still end up making them.
I'll admit it wasn't the perfect example, but for the world I'm on it's the most optimal thing to do other than rails. It is singleplayer so there's no need to load chunks when I'm not on. As far as price goes, basic stone piping is extravagantly cheap. One stack of stone + a half stack of glass gives 256 stone pipes. Plenty for transporting of some distance. Of course, sorting pipes aren't particularly cheap, but most people aren't using BC sorting systems anymore.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
I'll admit it wasn't the perfect example, but for the world I'm on it's the most optimal thing to do other than rails. It is singleplayer so there's no need to load chunks when I'm not on. As far as price goes, basic stone piping is extravagantly cheap. One stack of stone + a half stack of glass gives 256 stone pipes. Plenty for transporting of some distance. Of course, sorting pipes aren't particularly cheap, but most people aren't using BC sorting systems anymore.

Most people who haven't discovered DSU's perhaps.

Tylor

Nov 24, 2012
I just mean that, while BC logistic is cheap and simple, it is no longer only option to transport and sort things.

EDIT. Also, it is not only option for building/quarrying too. MFFS 3.0 (and RP before it) does both. Probably not as cheap, but otherwise way better.

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019
Most people who haven't discovered DSU's perhaps.

DSU's are good for massive storage. Not so much for items you rarely have a few stacks of. Creating massive walls of DSU's/barrels are cool, but you always end up with a chest at the end that has everything extra you couldn't store.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
DSU's are good for massive storage. Not so much for items you rarely have a few stacks of. Creating massive walls of DSU's/barrels are cool, but you always end up with a chest at the end that has everything extra you couldn't store.

You're missing the point. There's still plenty of items you get a lot of and DSU's are ideals for those. And I use BC sorting for these simply because it costs less energy than getting those in through an interface. And I'm definitely not the only one who uses a combination of pipes, DSU's and AE.

Reactions: MigukNamja