Doing some research in the newest IC2_Exp build[138]

Hyperme

Popular Member
Apr 3, 2013
Or rather dubious changes are being made to reach established goals. No value is being added.

But people (a dubiously defined set you may not even be part of) wanted more IC2 content. Since hammers and plates are technically new content you can't complain ever!

Wait a second that doesn't even make sense. The new steps for making things barely count as content, and there's actual new stuff meaning terrible design choices are still terrible. Seriously, speed bumps aren't meaningful content.

Reactions: DrHexatron

dtech100

Jul 29, 2019
I like new machines ore washer and thermal centrifuge. By them you can make about 2.5 ingot per ore - but with the cost of energy usage. I like that thermal centrifuge which gives a small pile of other ore uses energy for heating up and then processing the purifired ore. Also i like a lot bigger energy storage in MFE & MFSU - but you must use a lot of energy upgrades to handle more eu/t output. But right now i don't know how to make iridium from liquid uu matter - i know that you must scan the things but when you don't have iridium ore you can't legimately scan it - only cheating iridium ore and scan it next.

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
I believe that the point that was trying to be made is that making each plate is faster than resmelting a piece of iron. Thus, it's faster to make eight iron plates to make a machine block than it is to wait for eight iron ingots to smelt. In early game where you don't have an induction furnace yet.

Wires look to be a bit slower though.

Both of these are flat-out untrue. Wires used to be INSTANT. In addition, induction furnace isn't exactly high-tier (maybe mid-tier) and hell even an iron furnace/pulverizer (yes I know TE isn't in 1.6 yet but still) is faster than the current machine. There is literally no way you can say that things got faster in any way.

There is no point to these changes. Why are they still here?

Nebbie

Jul 29, 2019
Both of these are flat-out untrue. Wires used to be INSTANT. In addition, induction furnace isn't exactly high-tier (maybe mid-tier) and hell even an iron furnace/pulverizer (yes I know TE isn't in 1.6 yet but still) is faster than the current machine. There is literally no way you can say that things got faster in any way.

There is no point to these changes. Why are they still here?

I don't think you play or understand IC2. An Induction Smelter is extremely fast when kept on with a redstone signal or after processing a lot of stuff. You just need a flipped lever next to it and keep it powered while it builds up heat. Overclockers are just complete overkill. TE machines are the slow ones.
And wires are still instant if you use the cutters; they only take time in the forming machine. The post you're responding to actually points out wires are slower, so why are you saying that's a lie?
You completely missed the point about plates. It is faster to hammer them than it was to resmelt iron. The net change in time is less tedium early on and negligible added time later on (and only if you make much more wire than plates).

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
I don't think you play or understand IC2. An Induction Smelter is extremely fast when kept on with a redstone signal or after processing a lot of stuff. You just need a flipped lever next to it and keep it powered while it builds up heat. Overclockers are just complete overkill. TE machines are the slow ones.
And wires are still instant if you use the cutters; they only take time in the forming machine. The post you're responding to actually points out wires are slower, so why are you saying that's a lie?
You completely missed the point about plates. It is faster to hammer them than it was to resmelt iron. The net change in time is less tedium early on and negligible added time later on (and only if you make much more wire than plates).
induction smelter isnt that fast, and in fact, not from IC2.

the problem with hammer, is that you`re not likely to use it is past early game. in addition to that you have not only iron plates.
so you do save a bit of time early game but loose quite a lot time mid and late game. doesnt look like a valuable addition to me.

netchip

Jul 29, 2019
I like the new IC2. I love the thermal centrifuge and the ore washer plant. Teleporters are soooo coool. GregTech will advance the tech tree of IC2 even more, while I only need to spend a few hours more in the beginning.

Use RC Steam/AS Fusion Reactor/GregTech fusion reactor/IC2 Nuclear Reactor and you are settled :)

Universal Electricity + IC2 are the best power systems at the moment, I think.

AS fusion reactors do output RC Steam, by the way. You can make EU, MJ or Joules from it :)

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
Use RC Steam/AS Fusion Reactor/GregTech fusion reactor/IC2 Nuclear Reactor and you are settled :)

Universal Electricity + IC2 are the best power systems at the moment, I think.

AS fusion reactors do output RC Steam, by the way. You can make EU, MJ or Joules from it :)
do you realize that by praising RC and UE, you`re actually throwing rocks in IC2 garden?

AS reactors not necessarily produce steam but i have to admit that using them for steam production is probably the best idea.

netchip

Jul 29, 2019
do you realize that by praising RC and UE, you`re actually throwing rocks in IC2 garden?

AS reactors not necessarily produce steam but i have to admit that using them for steam production is probably the best idea.
Well, steam funnels produce steam ;)

RC != BC power...

Someone here gave all the fuel options for buildcraft, with all the addons included. I'll do the same for IC2.

EU: Steam, Coal, Lava, Nuclear (AS, GT, and IC2), Oil, Fuel, Creosote Oil, Crude Oil (does that still exists?), Ethanol... And probably more I forgot.

I agree IC2, BC and UE are all great. BC is just working fine, but in 1.6.2 (which I play) a bit... useless without Ender IO (conduits, pulverizer, solar panels).

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
Well, steam funnels produce steam ;)

RC != BC power...

Someone here gave all the fuel options for buildcraft, with all the addons included. I'll do the same for IC2.

EU: Steam, Coal, Lava, Nuclear (AS, GT, and IC2), Oil, Fuel, Creosote Oil, Crude Oil (does that still exists?), Ethanol... And probably more I forgot.

I agree IC2, BC and UE are all great. BC is just working fine, but in 1.6.2 (which I play) a bit... useless without Ender IO (conduits, pulverizer, solar panels).
steam funnel do produce steam, but they are not the only option, but admittedly best.

if we are talking about buildcraft the only option you has is coal(and everything related to it), oil and fuel. if we are talking about mods that are able produce MJ then the list is obviously bigger.

in current state EU relies on IC2 addons and mods that support EU in order to not suck, which is my biggest concern about it.

netchip

Jul 29, 2019
steam funnel do produce steam, but they are not the only option, but admittedly best.

if we are talking about buildcraft the only option you has is coal(and everything related to it), oil and fuel. if we are talking about mods that are able produce MJ then the list is obviously bigger.

in current state EU relies on IC2 addons and mods that support EU in order to not suck, which is my biggest concern about it.
I don't want to argue. But I'm still gonna say it.

BC relies on addons to be useful. IC2 had even an own quarry (Miner), item fabrication (UU Matter), furnace (electric and induction furnace), own ore processing (macerator, ore washer, thermal centrifuge), terrain modifier, crops (!!!)...

BC has only a quarry and refinery (and pipes, but AE and extra utilities can make the pipes deprecated)...

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 4 met Tapatalk 4

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
I don't want to argue. But I'm still gonna say it.

BC relies on addons to be useful. IC2 had even an own quarry (Miner), item fabrication (UU Matter), furnace (electric and induction furnace), own ore processing (macerator, ore washer, thermal centrifuge), terrain modifier, crops (!!!)...

BC has only a quarry and refinery (and pipes, but AE and extra utilities can make the pipes deprecated)...

BC relies on nothing to be useful, in fact many mod "rely" on mods like BC to be part of automated setups.
what you just did there is compared nut to a an apple. not a smart move i have to say.

Reactions: RedBoss

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
As much as I dislike IC2, netchip has a point. BC itself is pretty lacking, it is the addons that is supporting it. Some of the addons are also starting to become independent, which I fully support.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
As much as I dislike IC2, netchip has a point. BC itself is pretty lacking, it is the addons that is supporting it. Some of the addons are also starting to become independent, which I fully support.
BC isnt lacking. it has it`s own role, which is mainly item transport.

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
IC2 has a role too though, notably ore doubling and a few other machines. Personally, I find Buildcraft's core functionality to be more useful. Even with Applied Energistics, I prefer to use buildcraft pipe networks as the core of my item transportation. I tend to enlist the help of other mods to let Buildcraft really shine though. In the processing department, MFR, Translocators, Factorization and Logistics Pipes work so well together to make a really flexible system. With Buildcraft alone, there isn't much point in having these systems in place because there aren't many machines to run. But this is what clinches it for me. Buildcraft is better supported by Railcraft and Forestry especially - and also MFR and Thermal Expansion and several other mods. IC2 has more stuff to do and clearly benefits from at least some of the mods that work well with Buildcraft. In short they both fulfill very different roles.

Ultimately, I wouldn't want to play with just Buildcraft or just IC2 on their own, although I would prefer a Buildcraft-centric pack compared to an IC2-centric pack. Sorry for rambling

Reactions: PierceSG

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
And not both of those can be used in every situation.
(hates AE)

I don't hate AE. I love it for mass storage (along with DSUs). I also use AE heavily for on demand crafting. However I hate using it for pre-storage processing. Ideally, not a single ore would ever land in my storage because it will already have been handled by a primarily buildcraft/logipipes powered processing system. My last one was beautiful and was supported by almost every major item transport mod except AE and extra utilities. It had routers, conveyors, translocators, infinitubes and hoppers as well as all sorts of pipes. It even used turtles. I also made the shop floor out of clear glass so you could see all the underworks as well. It was truly wonderful until I accidently blew it up with a mass fab. Protip: Don't hook up a mass fab directly to a top tier mekanism energy cube.

The thing about AE I do hate though is export and import buses. In most cases plain interfaces are just better.

netchip

Jul 29, 2019
IC2 has a role too though, notably ore doubling and a few other machines. Personally, I find Buildcraft's core functionality to be more useful. Even with Applied Energistics, I prefer to use buildcraft pipe networks as the core of my item transportation. I tend to enlist the help of other mods to let Buildcraft really shine though. In the processing department, MFR, Translocators, Factorization and Logistics Pipes work so well together to make a really flexible system. With Buildcraft alone, there isn't much point in having these systems in place because there aren't many machines to run. But this is what clinches it for me. Buildcraft is better supported by Railcraft and Forestry especially - and also MFR and Thermal Expansion and several other mods. IC2 has more stuff to do and clearly benefits from at least some of the mods that work well with Buildcraft. In short they both fulfill very different roles.

Ultimately, I wouldn't want to play with just Buildcraft or just IC2 on their own, although I would prefer a Buildcraft-centric pack compared to an IC2-centric pack. Sorry for rambling
Yes. I like Buildcraft's item transport. Well, I especially like it for small sorting systems. For my base, I use usually a combination of AE and LP. Although AE on it's own can handle everything.

I like a combination pack. I like indeed, translocators a lot.

Could you shed some light on factorization's possibilities?

netchip

Jul 29, 2019
I don't hate AE. I love it for mass storage (along with DSUs). I also use AE heavily for on demand crafting. However I hate using it for pre-storage processing. Ideally, not a single ore would ever land in my storage because it will already have been handled by a primarily buildcraft/logipipes powered processing system. My last one was beautiful and was supported by almost every major item transport mod except AE and extra utilities. It had routers, conveyors, translocators, infinitubes and hoppers as well as all sorts of pipes. It even used turtles. I also made the shop floor out of clear glass so you could see all the underworks as well. It was truly wonderful until I accidently blew it up with a mass fab. Protip: Don't hook up a mass fab directly to a top tier mekanism energy cube.

The thing about AE I do hate though is export and import buses. In most cases plain interfaces are just better.
A tip for you: make a wall of machines, stick some interfaces in the wall, and set the interfaces to export what you want. Stick a translocator on the interface and machine and it works ;)