Direwolf20 season 7 - Huzzah!

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

GuitarCFD

Jul 29, 2019
Ferrous actually has a very big use... Shiny Metal. I'm not in the game so don't quote me on recipes, but if you silk touch Redstone Ore, you will get (25% of the time I think) a Cinnibar by-product when you pulverize it in Thermal Expansion. And then if you put a Ferrous Ore plus a cinnibar (I think they might have changed it to two cinnibars) into a TE Induction Smelter, you get a 100% chance (i.e. always) of getting a Shiny Metal ingot in addition to Ferrous ingots... or something like that anyways. Look it all up in NEI. Note the Thaumcraft cinnibar is not the same as the TE cinnibar, altho they've added a way to convert using Gelid Cryotheum (also in NEI). Shiny Metal is required to make Enderium ingots, which are required to build all the highest-tier TE stuff.

EMERALDS: Who has figured out where to find them? I need Silky Touch for my TC pickaxe. I tried Extreme Hills biome at elevation 8 and found many diamonds but zero emeralds. Will dig higher and try elevation 30-35 so I can get some iron while looking for emeralds.

Months later...you can also find emeralds in those abyssal stone Geodes...or gather some villagers together in a 1 wide 2 high space over a hopper. One of the mods makes villagers drop Emeralds. Its not often, and to be honest i wish that mod didn't do that. Seems hostile mobs drop things as well...zombies pick them up. If you have a vanilla style mob farm it really messes with your rates.

GuitarCFD

Jul 29, 2019
has anyone else had a problem with player data getting lost on startup? Its happened to me so often that I now close out my game by putting everything in a chest.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Months later...you can also find emeralds in those abyssal stone Geodes...or gather some villagers together in a 1 wide 2 high space over a hopper. One of the mods makes villagers drop Emeralds. Its not often, and to be honest i wish that mod didn't do that. Seems hostile mobs drop things as well...zombies pick them up. If you have a vanilla style mob farm it really messes with your rates.
Botania adds that, and it's the first thing I disable. Good concept, but adds more entities to be tracked as a result.

GuitarCFD

Jul 29, 2019
Last time it happened, Jabba was mentioned in the crash log. Lately Ive been using TE's caches instead. They are less annoying to upgrade, thats for sure.

I think i'll step up to AE2 shortly...I haven't had it as a result of a crash though...randomly when I log in I'll start back at spawn and all my player data is gone...except for thaumcraft research...which I think is stored in a different file

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah same here. Its happened a few times and makes me nervous about quitting the game. I didnt mean to say crash log, but the console info.

64diamondblocks

Jul 29, 2019
This is a reply from nearly six months later, where Direwolf, releasing new Lets Play episodes every other day, has reached episode 102, and Team COFH has released a mod called Thermal Dynamics that brings back all the old TE conduits with some major improvements (like Retrievers and Cryo Fluxducts). So far Dire has built an AE system for his base (episodes 30 to 40), made us two frame quarries, one with AE planes and one with mining wells (episodes 45 to 70), has made progress with thaumcraft (episodes 27+), and has explored the twilight forest (episodes 97 to 102). Thermal dynamics as well as a new mod called RF tools has been added to the pack, as well as Fastcraft, and by now the pack is in version 1.6.1.

Also, in the episodes 90s and 100s of his Lets Play S7, dire has been vocally talking about his idea to have a new base. According to him, about 60% of people opted for the move, and 40% of people opted against it. I was one of those who opted against it. His base is pretty well organized ( at least compared to his previous seasons), and Dire spent a lot of work on it, plus the big reactor he set up in his episodes 80-85. He could of course, to simulate a void dimension, hollow out the ground under his base. Also, he could extend his base into a void dimension/age, perhaps have a mystCraft portal through a hallway taking him to a mystCraft void dimension, or an RFTOOLS teleporter. Just go down one hallway into a transdimensional part 2 of the base, into which he could move some stuff or just build new stuff. Also, I highly discourage that he build the dimension with RFtools, because he'll have to power it. Mystcraft is better.

I want to know what everybody else thinks to know if there are any strong arguments for a complete move, or if my reasons are logical.

Also, I am really wondering what dire will do after Twilight Forest, into the mid/late 100s and 110s of episodes. I pleaded twice to him to not include endermen tricks (which ALWAYS spell an impending season ending) until at least episode 150. I hope he will listen. When I saw episode 100 with a title of "Secret Project" and I saw that he was using a command computer, I was SO scared that he was programming an endermanly trick, but that fear blew away when I learned that he was just making a game of checkers. In the future, my guess is that he will move or extend his base, and after that work on some more blood magic, maybe even some MystCraft or Witchery, and/or in the meantime build some more crazy pipes/machines/cables automation machines. At least that's what I think he will do until episode 120. After that he may kill the ender dragon or take her as a pet, which will automatically be the 20-episode warning for an untimely season 7 ending at episode 140. However this may not happen. Perhaps he will build a house in the end or perhaps some automation for ender air there, or perhaps he will continue doing base improvements, more thaumcraft, blood magic, or botania or some tech builds for many more episodes to come, far past 120.

The most enraging thing about the pack?
NO LOGISTICS PIPES!!!!
Logistics pipes wasn't so good when it only worked with stupid buildcraft pipes, but now they look different from BC pipes and work with thermal dynamics itemducts, which are WAAAAY better because warp itemducts move items INSTANTLY, making it comparable to the speed of Applied Energistics. I always add LP when I play.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: RamblinWreckGT

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
I actually really wouldn't mind seeing Mystcraft removed from this pack.

But, on the subject of adding mods - are there any other FTB packs that have Ars Magica 2 "compatible" configs that include blood magic and witchery? There are a lot of potion id conflicts given AM2's default potion ids, but if I try and fix it by moving them the game just crashes on startup as I suspect that MC only supports potion id's up to 128. Not sure though why NEI dumps potion id's up to 340!?

On the subject of potion ids: Why oh why are the Blood Magic potion id's still derped? The dw20 AWayOfTime.cfg file conflicts with itself and Soul Fray and Amphibian share the same potion id meaning - and ive even seen DW20 with it in his lets play - you get the rather beneficial Amphibian effect - rather than Soul Fray - when you die.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Gotta love mystcraft dude! Better than any other dimension builder mod.

So,
* Mystcraft destroys server TPS by running "profiling" whenever a new age is created and visited or it bloody feels like it.
* Mystcraft hides the pages necessary to create custom ages in Libraries in Ages - requiring many once off ages to be created that will be visited exactly once. Exact a profiling cost on all non Mystcraft using server players. And then cost harddrive space, increasing hosting costs for no reason.
* Even when the necessary pages have been obtained, Mystcraft hides age creation behind an obscure difficult to master grammar that pretty much guarantees further redundant ages are created as failed attempts. With profiling and space costs.
* All of these server costs can be invoked by players with access to nothing more complex than wood, iron and ink sacks.
* Link books also have incredibly low construction costs, and allow players to construct point to point transport hubs that both bypass more balanced long distance transport mods AND impose the extra server cost of having to load a 2nd dimension.
* For all that there are many pages, and a complex grammar - the mystcraft terrain generator is ultimately a boring rehash of the vanilla generator that cannot be co-erced into doing anything interesting such as done by the ATG or BWG generators.

Yes. Big wins all round with this.

Last edited:

RamblinWreckGT

Jul 29, 2019
Art though kidding? Mystcraft is GREAT! RFtools is good too, but with Mystcraft you don't have to power your dimensions!
I like having to power dimensions; the absurd amount of resources you can get from a properly built dimension merits some sort of upkeep cost to me. It also gives a purpose to build absurd power generation other than just "for the heck of it".

I also tend to separate my magic mods and tech mods when I play, so I like having a "tech" option for dimension-building in addition to a "magic" one.

Reactions: Padfoote and McJty

64diamondblocks

Jul 29, 2019
It's not like RFTools dimensions suck. It's that Chris Becke said that he really wouldn't mind seeing MystCraft removed from the pack, and I believe it should NOT be done.

Also, You have to generate random dimensions in RFTools too, to get your dimlets.

64diamondblocks

Jul 29, 2019
If you're someone like me, then anything more than 400 RF/t is "absurd" power generation.
To go further, if you're someone like Direwolf20, then anything like three lava dynamos is CRAAAAAAZY electrifying. I use three magma dynamos for a LONG time, and I HATE that Dire20 uses just 2.

First of all, I feel like a power generation system 200 RF/T or more is absolutely necessary, and DW's 2 dynamos not only crank out just 160 RF/t, but are not symmetrical.

Don't think I'm crazy about power. I've seen on Youtube that some people build Big Rectors stuff with up to 8 or 10 full-size turbines, sometimes generating over 200,000 RF/t, and have several BILLION RF storage worth of EnderIO capacitor boxes.

Bagman817

Jul 29, 2019
I prefer RF Tools for my SSP, but Mystcraft actually makes more sense for a server, if properly cared for. By that I mean, do what they do on Forgecraft and set up a 'mining age', then disable recipes for player creation of dimensions. For that matter, a server owner could simply disable the mod. Regardless, it's a kitchen sink pack, the point is to be inclusive of mods, not the reverse.