Direwolf20 1.7.10 Help, Venting and Discussion Thread

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Bagman817

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not seeing a voxel map version that uses FML & installing liteloader on top of Forge looks like more trouble than just using Opis.
I don't play in the FTB launcher. Far easier, if you're adding/removing mods, to import the pack to MultiMC, which installs LiteLoader with a button press. Then, add Zan's as normal.

MacAisling

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2013
Kearneysville, West Virginia
I don't play in the FTB launcher. Far easier, if you're adding/removing mods, to import the pack to MultiMC, which installs LiteLoader with a button press. Then, add Zan's as normal.

I tried building a pack for 1.7.10 in MultiMC before the DW20 pack was released & it kept crashing on me even when I tried the same versions of the same mods that were working in the FTB launcher in the Unstable test pack. The problem may have been finding a compatible version of Forge (I think they went through a couple of mod breaking updates around that time), but that kind of troubleshooting is more effort than any map mod is worth. IIRC, at launch it kept telling me there was a required mod missing even though that mod was in the installed mods list. Remove those related mods & it would fail to find something else. So, no. I'll stick with the launcher & pack I already have working.

Antaioz

Jul 29, 2019
I tried building a pack for 1.7.10 in MultiMC before the DW20 pack was released & it kept crashing on me even when I tried the same versions of the same mods that were working in the FTB launcher in the Unstable test pack. The problem may have been finding a compatible version of Forge (I think they went through a couple of mod breaking updates around that time), but that kind of troubleshooting is more effort than any map mod is worth. IIRC, at launch it kept telling me there was a required mod missing even though that mod was in the installed mods list. Remove those related mods & it would fail to find something else. So, no. I'll stick with the launcher & pack I already have working.
I've always had to reinstall forge on 1.7.10 packs that I push from the ftb launcher to multiMC and then duplicate. non-duplicated ones worked fine though.

On another note, does anyone else ever fall into the trap of not having any buildings at all?
I tend to just end up with a "work space" out in a plains or something. sleeping through every night as soon as I can.
e.g. this is my "base" at the moment:
3Ky7dKg.jpg

there's also a hand-made quarry underneath, but it just has a mob spawner in it.

Last edited:

Waughoo

Jul 29, 2019
I specifically made a void world for my base really early, and set up the rooms right away. That way I don't have machines around everywhere. Also I figured a void would be less laggy and be free of mob spawns. Still getting Hobgoblin spawns though :(

Bagman817

Jul 29, 2019
I agree that MultiMC 5 is less user friendly than 4 (sadly gone is the 'import from FTB' function), The solution I've found, for anyone interested, is to create a vanilla MC instance, install the Forge version used in the FTB instance (and LiteLoader), then copy the mod and config folders. Seems to work fine so far. While obviously more hassle than using the FTB launcher to set up, I find it worth the trouble when using a heavily altered version of an FTB pack, particularly as FTB likes to over-ride your configs and mod additions/deletions, but to each his own, of course.

Boosted98gsx

Jul 29, 2019
So I safari netted a maze slime in the TF, and now every time I try to log in, the entire game crashes back to the FTB launcher.

Antaioz

Jul 29, 2019
I specifically made a void world for my base really early, and set up the rooms right away. That way I don't have machines around everywhere. Also I figured a void would be less laggy and be free of mob spawns. Still getting Hobgoblin spawns though :(
I was about to type that I thought of making a void age a couple days ago, but stopped when I remembered that I'd have to turn of instability. Now I'm thinking I won't have to since there's no ore in a void age, so it shouldn't be a problem since the pack's myst instability is ore related...
If I have no ground to stand on that might be motivation enough to get me to build myself some buildings, or atleast a workshop-esque mega building.

I agree that MultiMC 5 is less user friendly than 4 (sadly gone is the 'import from FTB' function), The solution I've found, for anyone interested, is to create a vanilla MC instance, install the Forge version used in the FTB instance (and LiteLoader), then copy the mod and config folders. Seems to work fine so far. While obviously more hassle than using the FTB launcher to set up, I find it worth the trouble when using a heavily altered version of an FTB pack, particularly as FTB likes to over-ride your configs and mod additions/deletions, but to each his own, of course.
The "import from FTB" option was made superfluous by the fact that MMC5 can load and launch FTB instances straight from the FTB folder. there's a setting in settings->MultiMC-> Track FTB Instances. Then you just have to give it the FTB instance folder.
There is still a problem when duplicating FTB instances to somewhere else via MMC though, as I indicated before.

So I safari netted a maze slime in the TF, and now every time I try to log in, the entire game crashes back to the FTB launcher.
If it's the safari net that's causing the problem you could either rename or move your player.dat out of the saves folder and see if that fixes it, but that would also delete all your inventory and reset your character's position to spawn. another option is to use an NBT tag editor to edit the safari net out of existence.

Waughoo

Jul 29, 2019
Well, I had to turn off instability in my void. It might just be that I suck at making ages, but I specified about everything in my mine and it ended up with glowstone clouds. You couldn't see them from spawn, so after I started my base and flew around a little I suddenly got miners fatigue and wither effects.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
What causes the random explosion sounds I get while exploring.

Also are hobgoblins supposed to be hostile to villagers? I spawned near a nice large village I hoped to trade with but all the villagers are dead as a pack of hobgoblins spawned in the village and hunted everyone down.

Evillevi

Jul 29, 2019
What causes the random explosion sounds I get while exploring.

Also are hobgoblins supposed to be hostile to villagers? I spawned near a nice large village I hoped to trade with but all the villagers are dead as a pack of hobgoblins spawned in the village and hunted everyone down.
ender Minnies killing the creepers

Skidd2

Jul 29, 2019
Okay, here's a bit of a problem that I've been having lately...I'm out in my world, mining, building, exploring ect... but then seemingly out of no where, massive lag. either I'll be in my base (where there are about 5 machines and a very small sorting system) or I'll be down in my mines, when it happens. I'm not sure on how long I've been in game when it happens, however. But, here's what happens; there will be 2-4 seconds where I can't do anything, its almost as if the whole PC has locked up, however it isn't. Trying the MC instance to respond to commands in the 1-2 seconds that its not lagging has been really annoying. I can still alt-tab out of the MC window, so I know that its not the computer that has locked up, just massive lag in-game.
I've removed journey map and have the opis map running, which did help at first, but now the problem has returned. Here's my specs and such:
RAM: 8GB DDR3, 4GB dedicated to the FTB launcher
Processor: AMD FX 8350 8 core @ 4 GHZ
GFX card:Geforce 550-ti
No JAVA arguments from the launcher are set (including the fast computers one, that seemed to have no effect)

Any ideas?

John.E

Dec 18, 2013
Doral, FL
Okay, here's a bit of a problem that I've been having lately...I'm out in my world, mining, building, exploring ect... but then seemingly out of no where, massive lag. either I'll be in my base (where there are about 5 machines and a very small sorting system) or I'll be down in my mines, when it happens. I'm not sure on how long I've been in game when it happens, however. But, here's what happens; there will be 2-4 seconds where I can't do anything, its almost as if the whole PC has locked up, however it isn't. Trying the MC instance to respond to commands in the 1-2 seconds that its not lagging has been really annoying. I can still alt-tab out of the MC window, so I know that its not the computer that has locked up, just massive lag in-game.
I've removed journey map and have the opis map running, which did help at first, but now the problem has returned. Here's my specs and such:
No JAVA arguments from the launcher are set (including the fast computers one, that seemed to have no effect)

Any ideas?
It could be Aroma backup

Skidd2

Jul 29, 2019
It could be Aroma backup
I suppose I should rephrase it :p its a consistent lag, it doesn't go away after the back-up is done, it just never goes away. the only way that I can get it to do away is to restart the whole client. thanks for the guess though, I might disable it, but I suspect its not the issue.

ToLazyToThink

Jul 29, 2019
Is anyone else having trouble farming wither skeleton skulls? I've tried MFR grinders and extra utilities spikes with no luck so far.

Antaioz

Jul 29, 2019

Any ideas?
have you tried fastcraft? it generally clears up this sort of lag in 1.7

Is anyone else having trouble farming wither skeleton skulls? I've tried MFR grinders and extra utilities spikes with no luck so far.
Try an autonomous activator with a beheading sword in it, auto-kill mechanisms generally exclude rare drops like wither skele skulls on purpose.

MacAisling

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2013
Kearneysville, West Virginia

IIRC, it is a rare drop that has to be counted as a player kill. I think the usual method is to put an OP sword with looting &/or beheading in an autonomous activator. I don't have any need for an endless supply, so I put a skeleton spawner in the nether & kill them myself when I want a few.

Reactions: ToLazyToThink

ToLazyToThink

Jul 29, 2019
IIRC, it is a rare drop that has to be counted as a player kill. I think the usual method is to put an OP sword with looting &/or beheading in an autonomous activator. I don't have any need for an endless supply, so I put a skeleton spawner in the nether & kill them myself when I want a few.

While waiting for a reply I tried an autonomous activator, and I can't get it to attack with a sword. It will place blocks with right click set, but with left click it wont attack. It will attack with a pick, but that won't let me use looting.

-----------------
Okay, something is a little weird with the autonomous activator, sometimes it seems to work with a sword, and sometimes it doesn't. I haven't figured it out yet. Bedtime tonight, might look into it some more tomorrow after work.

Last edited: