Detailed information of Changes in v5 of Direwolf20, v8 of MindCrack & v7 of Magic World

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Would you like me to update this for all the Modpack Updates

• Total voters

zilvarwolf

Jul 29, 2019
i heard the old farms will stay untill MC 1.5, but its nothing official i think.
You know that sinking feeling you get when you post something and then 10 minutes later you realize that what you posted really didn't get your message across?

Yeah. That was me.

I meant to sound more upbeat there...with both farms being present, I'll be able to run comparisons and decide if it's worth moving to mutliblock farms for long term or large scale biomass production, and that's a good thing.

I suspect that I'll move to charcoal->steam/lava for early and mid-tier production for new worlds, at least until a steve's tree farm can be built. Pretty sure that one of those can feed enough saplings for my needs! (the real shame here?? They don't accept apatite-based fertilizer as fertilizer ;) )

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
I meant to sound more upbeat there...with both farms being present, I'll be able to run comparisons and decide if it's worth moving to mutliblock farms for long term or large scale biomass production, and that's a good thing.

The dependence on fertilizer is going to be a major mark against it for normal farms, etc. It's already hugely cumbersome for the tree farm, making turtles or steve's cart a common option. Imagine when the wheat farm starts needing it, how quickly people switch to Thaumcraft golems or similar.

I'm mostly concerned about their ability to be stacked. I currently have 7 farms stacked in a 15 y-block area, with two tree farms on top of that (about 9 y-blocks each). I'd really hate to be forced to either use up a much larger y-block area, or spread out without stacking.

zilvarwolf

Jul 29, 2019
The dependence on fertilizer is going to be a major mark against it for normal farms, etc. It's already hugely cumbersome for the tree farm, making turtles or steve's cart a common option. Imagine when the wheat farm starts needing it, how quickly people switch to Thaumcraft golems or similar.

I'm mostly concerned about their ability to be stacked. I currently have 7 farms stacked in a 15 y-block area, with two tree farms on top of that (about 9 y-blocks each). I'd really hate to be forced to either use up a much larger y-block area, or spread out without stacking.
Indeed. And looking at the wiki.new, I can only assume that the commentary about getting 2.000 mU of fertilizer per unit used is a european notation. It would suck even more if you had to use 5 fertilizer to run a cactus farm (and stacks and stacks more to run any other farm).

The wiki also doesn't discuss how long each application of fertilizer lasts...a very important bit of info, IMO.

The Doom-and-Gloom-inator in me is screaming that this is a Bad Change and is going to force me to running a cart based tree-farm exclusively for my biomass needs. The gamist in me thinks that maybe biomass is pretty darn good and needed a kick in the butt...but doesn't have enough information yet to know if this is a change that makes sustainable biofuel-based power systems a thing of the past.

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
As far as I understand it: For every produced block, a number of mU is used up, depending on the block. Numbers can be retrieved from http://forestry.sengir.net/wiki.new/doku.php?id=farms:multi#farm_circuits.
So a peat bog should now produce 200 peat (=2000/10) for every fertilizer.
Depending on how "Changed: Ash cannot be used to create fertilizer anymore. It can be mixed with existing fertilizer to double it though." (changelog for v2) is to be interpreted, maybe fertilizer can be stretched ad infinitum with that. But I wouldn't rely on that interpretation, since then fert would become infinite again. More probably the apatite->fertilizer production will just receive a doubled output, if ash is involved.

zilvarwolf

Jul 29, 2019
As far as I understand it: For every produced block, a number of mU is used up, depending on the block. Numbers can be retrieved from http://forestry.sengir.net/wiki.new/doku.php?id=farms:multi#farm_circuits.
So a peat bog should now produce 200 peat (=2000/10) for every fertilizer.
Depending on how "Changed: Ash cannot be used to create fertilizer anymore. It can be mixed with existing fertilizer to double it though." (changelog for v2) is to be interpreted, maybe fertilizer can be stretched ad infinitum with that. But I wouldn't rely on that interpretation, since then fert would become infinite again. More probably the apatite->fertilizer production will just receive a doubled output, if ash is involved.
That all makes sense, and makes my Doom-and-Gloom-inator feel vindicated. At 10 mU per operation, that's 200 cacti per fertilizer. Doesn't seem sustainable on the surface.

You're also probably right, replacing sand with ash (or something similar) would give more fertilizer. Not that this would do much good to anyone who didn't go in for the peat engines, right? Hmm.

Hmm.

Thanks! This has been informative.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
That all makes sense, and makes my Doom-and-Gloom-inator feel vindicated. At 10 mU per operation, that's 200 cacti per fertilizer. Doesn't seem sustainable on the surface.

Especially when you consider that you can run a cactus farm _in vanilla_. There are other options, so making this one cost exorbitantly will just mean it's never used.

Scaffolding

Jul 29, 2019
I noticed that there was no addition of the farm block id in the base.cfg for Forestry... so I added "I:farm=952" to my cfg file.

edit: disregard, I just checked the pack and it seems like it was included all along, I made have been getting a cached zip file.

zilvarwolf

Jul 29, 2019
Especially when you consider that you can run a cactus farm _in vanilla_. There are other options, so making this one cost exorbitantly will just mean it's never used.
ooh...good point. I have a bajillion obsidian pipes from working with fillers. Maybe there's a replacement opportunity here.

Scaffolding

Jul 29, 2019
I know that if you try to open the Apiarist Database while Ascending in both jetpack modes it will cause a crash. If you descend in hover mode and open the database it also crashes. I'm sure there are a quite a few other interactions that have a similar result.

SReject

Jul 29, 2019
I know that if you try to open the Apiarist Database while Ascending in both jetpack modes it will cause a crash. If you descend in hover mode and open the database it also crashes. I'm sure there are a quite a few other interactions that have a similar result.
Its not just with bee-keeping stuff. Anytime a second thread is created, such as chunks loaded via quarry, world anchor, etc, what I believe is happening is the jetpack is looping over those chunks(or atleast a list of something that is created when those chunks are loaded). While this happens, that 'list' is locked from edits so to speak, so when other mods try to modify thwhatever list(s) the jetpack is looping over, an error occurs, causing game/server crash.

Please note: This is a documented bug with the electric jetpack, and am just wondering if the mod devs have fixed it

FatherOfSniping

Jul 29, 2019
i tired to use optifine b6 for 1.4.6 and 1.4.7 anyone know y this causes me to be stuck on building terrain without it i can play but too much lag

VikeStep

Jul 29, 2019
I am currently working on updating the thread with the recent changes... Just woke up. Should be done within the hour