Dartcraft: One of the most overpowered mods of our time

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord
Status
Not open for further replies.

TangentialThreat

Jul 29, 2019
What about conduits/energy cells/liquiducts? Those actually are multiblock, the machines themselves not really. And what about MFR machinery?

Nope, completely unable to reproduce. Energy conduits, liquiducts and cells are completely immune to wrenches.

Also, transporting small steam boilers seems to work.

So there.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
Nope, completely unable to reproduce. Energy conduits, liquiducts and cells are completely immune to wrenches.

Also, transporting small steam boilers seems to work.

So there.

Hint: Things crash in multiplayer that don't in single player.

Hint2: Nobody cares about balance in your single player world.

Vauthil

Jul 29, 2019
Jumping in on the wrangling that seems to be increasingly less polite and thus increasing more my problem to deal with:

The 1.1.2 Unleashed pack has a version of DartCraft (labeled "v3") that in fact prevents the Force Wrench's use on those particular crash-inducing items entirely. Of course, for some reason not yet revealed to me that version of DartCraft was reverted back in 1.1.3, but 1.1.2 remains the Recommended release most folks on Unleashed are on, and so they won't have this problem because the Force Wrench just flat out won't do its thing on those items. Rest assured that the issue has been thoroughly communicated to the mod authors and that they are aware this is a problem. This is an issue I lit my hair on fire about and ran screaming to the powers that be on, as alongside one other notable problem on the defects list (that one a then-pending update fixed) this is one that consistently and reproducibly could render regions unable to be logged into by deliberate use.

Now be nice.

sks0315

Jul 29, 2019
Speaking of crash, I discovered a crash.
I made too much iron doors and wanted to transmute them back.
I made force upgraded item card and stuck it in force pipe.
I sent multiple doors and it crashed.(sending one at a time is ok)
Not world-breaking crash but annoying.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
I've never ever understood the meaning of over-powered when people used it on a game that is primarily non-competitive. Plus, it's a mod/mod pack that comes with config files. Don't like something you see? Tweak it. Don't like the concept of it? Remove it. The server you play has those mods and/or the "ezymode" configs on? Quit it and start your own server. In my own opinion, vanilla Minecraft is way harder, and most mods are OP. But mods are fun(most anyway)! And any mods you do not get enjoyment out of, you can remove/disable/reconfig it to you own liking!

Reactions: RedBoss

Willsy

Jul 29, 2019
I find nothing over powered because i love things other people call OP because with them i can take over the world.

However i do find things...underpowered = UP..oh wait that may cause confusion.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Reactions: sks0315

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
I've never ever understood the meaning of over-powered when people used it on a game that is primarily non-competitive. Plus, it's a mod/mod pack that comes with config files. Don't like something you see? Tweak it. Don't like the concept of it? Remove it. The server you play has those mods and/or the "ezymode" configs on? Quit it and start your own server. In my own opinion, vanilla Minecraft is way harder, and most mods are OP. But mods are fun(most anyway)! And any mods you do not get enjoyment out of, you can remove/disable/reconfig it to you own liking!

It's kinda silly to say "Quit the server". Most servers run with default configs (because the stupid launcher still doesn't have a means to push configs to users) so finding one that has exactly the settings you want is trying to find a needle in a pile of needles. Besides, I want to play with the people (nice mature bunch) I play together with now.

The problem with stuff that's much MUCH easier than comparable stuff from others mods is that you just end up with everyone following the same progression. It would be ideal if mods in the pack would more or less have the same effort/reward ratio, you'd see more diversity.

So if people want to argue about mods making some stuff too easy, let them. Either you agree or you don't. But saying "just don't use it" just shows you're completely missing the point.

Reactions: jokermatt999

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019

Sure. I think DartCraft gets so much attention even from people like DoctorOr who are notoriously hardline about such issues is because in essence the mod has a lot of great ideas and features. The problem is that you can amp any one of those features to a pretty ridiculous degree and end up with situation where a Wither drops 60 nether stars or somesuch nonsense.

For example, DartCraft's flight? Not OP. It's well executed, somewhat different, and reliable. It is weaker than most other mods flight options, but very still very useful. Similarly, the interaction of Wing with Water? Neat! A good plan, even!

DartCraft's engines are sort of bad design, because the reality is there is no reason to use any engine but the force engine. But boilers and reactors exist, so... I am of the opinion that in actuality DartCraft's engines are how BuildCraft's engines should work. BuildCraft has been getting a lot of criticism for not appropriately balancing things to compensate for various other changes lately. This may be one of those places.

DartCraft's IC2 upgraded drills are very bad design because they destroy the entire tool design space. The only reason you don't use a force Drill is because you are deliberately avoiding using DartCraft's stuff in preference of the more fiddly and custom Tinker's Construct tools. And you CAN beat DC's tools in certain situations with TiC, but these situations are all sort of secondary to they "plow through the world with fortune 500." It is difficult to imagine how you could make a better hand tool. In some ways, the DartCraft Power Drlll is much better than the destruction catalyst ever was!

DartCraft's Armor is a mixed bag. Some of the stuff seems to freak people out, but it's hard to argue MPS isn't almost always better, and it's not like DartCraft's armor is accessible early game.

DartCraft's teleport rods and buff rods sort of leave me upset with myself. A teleport belt is amazing and fun and really helps builders, but again it smashes the entire teleport design space. Even dimensional doors look fancy and elaborate in comparison, and dimdoors WERE the op inter-word choice for a long time. But I still like them. I submit that they could be made to work, but they should not be able to accept repair upgrades.

Probably the most insidiously strong parts of DartCraft is the armor's force punch, which can do really silly things when you set it up right. Also subtly way wrong is DartCraft's Bane power, which not many people realize what it can actually do but when you do it's pretty absurd.

One place where the rest of the world needs to catch the flip up with DartCraft is its backpack system. I will personally roll up a newspaper and bop you on the nose if you call them OP. They are a very good idea, they work very well, they basically do what Forestry should have done, but hasn't for want of time and technical reasons; they make useful backpacks. Dart's ongoing decision not to make them part of an automated system is probably also good.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
It's kinda silly to say "Quit the server". Most servers run with default configs (because the stupid launcher still doesn't have a means to push configs to users) so finding one that has exactly the settings you want is trying to find a needle in a pile of needles. Besides, I want to play with the people (nice mature bunch) I play together with now.

The problem with stuff that's much MUCH easier than comparable stuff from others mods is that you just end up with everyone following the same progression. It would be ideal if mods in the pack would more or less have the same effort/reward ratio, you'd see more diversity.

So if people want to argue about mods making some stuff too easy, let them. Either you agree or you don't. But saying "just don't use it" just shows you're completely missing the point.
The only reward is the amount of fun you get out of it. If following the most direct path of instant gratification us fun for you, by all means go ahead. But nothing is stopping you from not using it. For me, I have not built a single Force Engine. I had 3 clockwork engines for my starting power source instead. The next one was a set of 3 Steam Engines and 1 Biogas Engine. Then it is to a 36HP Steam Boiler with 8 industrial steam engines. No one but yourself dictate what to use. So it might be easy and powerful, but you aren't forced into using it. As for server config, you could always ask the host to set the config files for download via dropbox.

Reactions: Revemohl

rymmie1981

Jul 29, 2019
Why does no one complain about Extra Utilities either? Have you ever made a Peaceful Table? You can make Minium Stones without ever seeing a mob. You don't even need to be anywhere near it while it runs. Oh, it runs without power, too. The only way it has anything close to balance is that mod weapons don't work in it.

Now, I don't have a personal problem with it. The Peaceful Table has great use for people who just don't want to get into fighting. But I have never heard a single person go on a rant about free ghast tears. It's a weird thing I've noticed because this is quite possibly the most overpowered item that has ever been produced by any mod ever outside of joke mods like Dirt to Diamonds.

I used to think that Dartcraft was OP, but the more I play it, the more I only have a problem with the engines, but even then they aren't all that bad at all. And I still use them because they are very useful early game. Other things outdo them especially once you advance to steam power.

The classless

Jul 29, 2019
In my opinion, Dartcraft may be one of the most overpowered mods, but also one one of the most enjoyable. I love the customization that's available in the mod, which is very unique from others. Dartcraft is an early game mod which helps you before you get your big machines going, but it can also be played standalone. Hence the reason I love the mod. The only downside I can see is the force engine. It makes the other MJ-generating engines useless, which is bad.
why the heck do you have a pic of smile dog are you trying to spread the word

Succubism

Jul 29, 2019
I wasn't whining about dirt to diamonds lol. I just said that to show how silly the "Don't like it. Don't use it" argument is. :)

First of all I never said you personally were whining. I was speaking generally.
Second; I don't understand in what capacity it's silly, because all I see is the implication of "You don't share my opinion on subject x, therefore you are dumb."
Third; You didn't show that at all, in fact if you made anything look silly it's yourself.
And lastly; the diamonds to dirt mod itself, I don't know that mod but I understand it's infamy for being cheaty and gamebreakingly bad, however the idea of making diamonds or other ores easier to claim isn't out of the question. There are mods that add ores and diamonds to the surface that have been added to modpacks such as Big Dig and Hexxit. I can certainly see with EE3, another mod people have mean whining about, how it could be exploited.

Frankly, The only reason I see about why this argument is "silly" is because you can't rebut to it. You can't argue against it and it takes away your ability to bitch, so you talk down the argument in some half-baked delusion that it'll be less credible to do so. Prove me wrong.

cynric

Jul 29, 2019
Why does no one complain about Extra Utilities either? Have you ever made a Peaceful Table? You can make Minium Stones without ever seeing a mob. You don't even need to be anywhere near it while it runs. Oh, it runs without power, too. The only way it has anything close to balance is that mod weapons don't work in it.

Now, I don't have a personal problem with it. The Peaceful Table has great use for people who just don't want to get into fighting. But I have never heard a single person go on a rant about free ghast tears. It's a weird thing I've noticed because this is quite possibly the most overpowered item that has ever been produced by any mod ever outside of joke mods like Dirt to Diamonds.

I used to think that Dartcraft was OP, but the more I play it, the more I only have a problem with the engines, but even then they aren't all that bad at all. And I still use them because they are very useful early game. Other things outdo them especially once you advance to steam power.

The table costs a lot of emeralds, which pushes it to the mid or lategame - at that time most people that are not on peaceful already have a handful of spawners set up generating way more stuff for free. Plus having the game on peaceful is not something you'll see that often on servers where people like to compete with each other, I'd imagine.

rymmie1981

Jul 29, 2019
The table costs a lot of emeralds, which pushes it to the mid or lategame - at that time most people that are not on peaceful already have a handful of spawners set up generating way more stuff for free. Plus having the game on peaceful is not something you'll see that often on servers where people like to compete with each other, I'd imagine.

Find a village, trade the wheat they are growing for emeralds, get emeralds before you even have a tool.

It might take a little luck, but emeralds are hardly ever mid/late game unless you're only mining for them. Even if you will only mine, most servers have BoP which makes it nearly impossible to mine for them.

cynric

Jul 29, 2019
Find a village, trade the wheat they are growing for emeralds, get emeralds before you even have a tool.

It might take a little luck, but emeralds are hardly ever mid/late game unless you're only mining for them. Even if you will only mine, most servers have BoP which makes it nearly impossible to mine for them.

I never get that lucky, I have been able to buy less than 10 emeralds that way in all my worlds combined. So mining it is, which means getting incredibly lucky with biomes or mid to lategame mining out those huge hollow hills or a mystcraft age with the correct biome.

rymmie1981

Jul 29, 2019
I never get that lucky, I have been able to buy less than 10 emeralds that way in all my worlds combined. So mining it is, which means getting incredibly lucky with biomes or mid to lategame mining out those huge hollow hills or a mystcraft age with the correct biome.

Or bees. Emerald bees are definitely late, late game, though, and you need a block of emeralds underneath the Apiary in order for the mutation to be a possibility.

Revemohl

Jul 29, 2019
Have you ever made a Peaceful Table? You can make Minium Stones without ever seeing a mob. You don't even need to be anywhere near it while it runs. Oh, it runs without power, too. The only way it has anything close to balance is that mod weapons don't work in it.
Do they even work outside of Peaceful? No idea if anything changed has changed recently, but last time I tested them out they didn't. Diamond sword in the chest and all. Then, as soon as I opened the options menu and changed the difficulty, mobs started spawning for a split second and the chest started getting items.

Reactions: SpitefulFox
Status
Not open for further replies.