Dartcraft: One of the most overpowered mods of our time

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord
Status
Not open for further replies.

Willsy

Jul 29, 2019
It is possible to move the tanks data by picking up the centre middle block where all of the data is stored so just shift click that with a force wrench and the possibility to carry 2,000,000 MB or more awaits!

Vauthil

Jul 29, 2019
It is possible to move the tanks data by picking up the centre middle block where all of the data is stored so just shift click that with a force wrench and the possibility to carry 2,000,000 MB or more awaits!

That is a very slick trick I hadn't thought far enough ahead to attempt before. Kudos. Will remember that one. =)

Reactions: SpitefulFox

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
Doing that trick to steam boilers (center firebox block? Not sure which is center in 2x2, though) would only keep the temperature but not the steam. At least that's what happened to my steam boiler when I took a block off from the boiler.

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
Doing that trick to steam boilers (center firebox block? Not sure which is center in 2x2, though) would only keep the temperature but not the steam. At least that's what happened to my steam boiler when I took a block off from the boiler.

Keeping the temperature sounds like it could be useful if your fuel line unexpectedly goes dry.

cynric

Jul 29, 2019
Keeping the temperature sounds like it could be useful if your fuel line unexpectedly goes dry.

Hmm, if it only keeps the temperature but not the steam, better hope it atleast keeps the water, otherwise you'll have a hot dry steam boiler that suddenly gets in contact with water again, which isn't all that useful. But I'm not really sure, how it works with steam boilers, if there even is a single block that contains all the data.

Reactions: SpitefulFox

Lohengrin

Jul 29, 2019
Steam is no biggie, but keeping the temp intact is pretty huge. Just be careful rebuilding the structure and have an AA ready to go before you put that wrenched block in last. Shouldn't matter if it is the center, just any of the fireboxes will keep the data is my guess. Grab the corner and then rebuild and replace corner last. I'm just hoping that it won't explode once the multiblock reforms and draws in water from the AA in already hot and now very dry boiler... If it retains the water level as well as temp, everything should be fine. Steam is kept in tank blocks, so thats lost, but that hardly matters I would think. If the water level data is stored in firebox, which I suspect it is, should be golden. If not, well...maybe test that in test world first. :D Crater city.[DOUBLEPOST=1376084696][/DOUBLEPOST]
Hmm, if it only keeps the temperature but not the steam, better hope it atleast keeps the water, otherwise you'll have a hot dry steam boiler that suddenly gets in contact with water again, which isn't all that useful. But I'm not really sure, how it works with steam boilers, if there even is a single block that contains all the data.

Im guessing all the fireboxes share the same data. So removing a piece saves that data and the other will lose theirs because the structure will be broken. However, once reformed then the saved firebox should instantly share the data with the others as long as it is put in last. Totally, guessing. :D

Just thought of another application for tanks. When 1.6 rolls around with the liquid update, folks say you will lose all your liquids (assuming a restart isn't forced). Mkay. But maybe you grab all your tanks center blocks before you update.... I realize that might not work if the IDs changed, but if it is the mechanics that have changed and not the IDs, then it might just remap those IDs to use the new mechanic and recreate the updated liquids. Couldn't hurt since you gonna lose them anyway.

Reactions: ApSciLiara

TangentialThreat

Jul 29, 2019
Force engines keep their current fuel and water level when moved with a force wrench.

IC2 machines keep thier current power level and inventory which is amazing.

Ender tanks show up as enderchests when moved but return to normal when placed again.

So far as I know the wrench's code is rock-solid reliable and preserves all metadata, which is amazing.

Reactions: RedBoss

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
Just thought of another application for tanks. When 1.6 rolls around with the liquid update, folks say you will lose all your liquids (assuming a restart isn't forced). Mkay. But maybe you grab all your tanks center blocks before you update.... I realize that might not work if the IDs changed, but if it is the mechanics that have changed and not the IDs, then it might just remap those IDs to use the new mechanic and recreate the updated liquids. Couldn't hurt since you gonna lose them anyway.
So Dartcraft potentially has the power to save the worlds? LOL

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
Force engines keep their current fuel and water level when moved with a force wrench.

IC2 machines keep thier current power level and inventory which is amazing.

Ender tanks show up as enderchests when moved but return to normal when placed again.

So far as I know the wrench's code is rock-solid reliable and preserves all metadata, which is amazing.

Don't forget that wrenching a TE machine that's connected to others crashes the server.

"Rock solid" indeed.

Lohengrin

Jul 29, 2019
Don't forget that wrenching a TE machine that's connected to others crashes the server.

"Rock solid" indeed.

Ooo, didn't know that. Is that because the wrench is trying to grab all the data and TE machines are networked for packet requests and thusly trying to pick up the entire networked frame?

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
Ooo, didn't know that. Is that because the wrench is trying to grab all the data and TE machines are networked for packet requests and thusly trying to pick up the entire networked frame?

It doesn't matter what they do. They do something unplanned for, and even if its patched something else will crop up as a problem. Using nonstandard interfaces to "serialize" these blocks is going to be a never ending bug hunt.

If you want to pick up blocks and keep their energy data, convice the authors to add that. Mekanism already does it. (And yet the force wrench still serializes them)

TangentialThreat

Jul 29, 2019

"Rock solid" indeed.

Crash as in reboot it and you're fine or crash as in that map will never load again and the server explodes in a shower of sparks killing 12 people?

TangentialThreat

Jul 29, 2019
The server I play on had to rollback when we discovered that bug.

I could not reproduce this bug in singleplayer in Unleashed. Tesseracts are immune to wrenches and do nothing. Wrenching TE machines works flawlessly, even if they are connected to other machines and processing items/liquids.

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
I could not reproduce this bug in singleplayer in Unleashed. Tesseracts are immune to wrenches and do nothing. Wrenching TE machines works flawlessly, even if they are connected to other machines and processing items/liquids.
What about conduits/energy cells/liquiducts? Those actually are multiblock, the machines themselves not really. And what about MFR machinery?

Caaameron

Jul 29, 2019
My problem with Dartcraft is that it's the most efficient (and most fun imo) way of playing until you get to the mid-game (multiple quarries, AE systems, sustainable energy). I like that it takes away grind and waiting, but some mechanics also de-incentivize exploring.

The author did a good job of creating a concept for the mod, but it would be nice if he chose to take a specific direction with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.