cLOcKwORk PhaSe - Time magic all wrapped up in brass

Which would you be most interested in next?

• Machines running off of time magic.

Votes: 15 15.6%
  • Machines built with clockwork.

Votes: 27 28.1%
  • More time magic tools and gadgets.

Votes: 14 14.6%
  • More clockwork tools and gadgets.

Votes: 7 7.3%
  • Phase specific "world events" (Bountiful harvest, Mob raids, etc...)

Votes: 33 34.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lumaceon

Popular Member
Jul 23, 2014
Not Kansas
...your breaking my furture...

If these can't be inserted into 2, then I wonder just HOW MUCH are u changing!?
They can be an add-on for 2, they might just need to be tweaked a bit. As to what I'm changing, the only things I'm certain will stay relatively similar to this version are the clockwork tools. Even then, they don't have the temporal ability or the time sand harvest like they do now. Phases still exist, but they work a little differently as well.

The bottom line is: Clockwork Phase 2 will be a very different mod. I used the term "spiritual successor" instead of just "sequel" because of that. Sorry if that's disappointing to you.

Jul 29, 2019
They can be an add-on for 2, they might just need to be tweaked a bit. As to what I'm changing, the only things I'm certain will stay relatively similar to this version are the clockwork tools. Even then, they don't have the temporal ability or the time sand harvest like they do now. Phases still exist, but they work a little differently as well.

The bottom line is: Clockwork Phase 2 will be a very different mod. I used the term "spiritual successor" instead of just "sequel" because of that. Sorry if that's disappointing to you.

I'm not disappointed. In fact, if temporal tools mode is gone, that means I can make my tools not a stable version, but just a temporal tool itself! And I have a feeling if temporal mode is gone, your going to add a block to put all the time sand into, and it creates temporal!

TROOPERscrat

Jul 29, 2019
Hello, Please could anyone point me in a good direction to a play through or mod spotlight or even a good wiki for this mod trying to get my head round it and getting no where . . . . . . . . . . thanks in advance

Jul 29, 2019
Hello, Please could anyone point me in a good direction to a play through or mod spotlight or even a good wiki for this mod trying to get my head round it and getting no where . . . . . . . . . . thanks in advance

Alright... There really isn't a good tutorial person that has a mod spotlight on this mod(not that I have seen at least), but I reccomended theonlybently, or landstryder on YouTube.bently is better. They will have a good explanation on the mod, along with a play through of horizons daybraker, which has this mod.

TROOPERscrat

Jul 29, 2019
thanks I will give them a look . . . . . . . . I wish all mods at least had a proper wiki it is so easy to get confused and give up :confused:

Wraithflay

Jul 29, 2019
thanks I will give them a look . . . . . . . . I wish all mods at least had a proper wiki it is so easy to get confused and give up :confused:
Well, look at it from the dev's perspective. You can either spend time developing your mod, or you can spend time making documentation, which you may or may not have any particular skill at doing. Being a good coder does not necessarily make you a good teacher, after all. So it's unsurprising that many mod devs choose to stick to development and let the community in general handle the documentation and such.

Having said all that, sure, it'd be nice if every mod had thorough and full documentation, but it is what it is! Gotta pick your battles, heh.

TROOPERscrat

Jul 29, 2019
Well, look at it from the dev's perspective. You can either spend time developing your mod, or you can spend time making documentation, which you may or may not have any particular skill at doing. Being a good coder does not necessarily make you a good teacher, after all. So it's unsurprising that many mod devs choose to stick to development and let the community in general handle the documentation and such.

I agree with you so so so much but and there is always a but if no good wiki you loose interest in the mod and move on to the next mod and there is a lot to choose from . . . . .

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Then again poorly maintained misleading documentation can lead to frustrating rage quits.
Faulty documentation hurts way more then no documentation.
Also as mods are seldom finnished every time you add or change a feature the docs would need to be redone.
Then again, mods with complicated mechanics really do need to have some form of documentation. Wether the dev makes it or not.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Karnevale

Jul 29, 2019
I made an account on these forums just to say that I LOVE the basis of this mod! I'd been tracking this mod since i saw it a long time ago on a magic mod download site, but never got to trying it. when i saw that horizons had this mod in it's listings, i jumped on the chance to try it. I'm fascinated by the idea of time-based magic, and really, really impressed with a whole lot of the function of the mod.

If you're not interested in any feedback and /or don't like what i have to say, then by all means, disregard what i'm about to say, and just know that i'm only saying this because i love what i've seen so far, and eagerly await clockwork phase 2.
if i had to suggest some direly needed features, i'd say that i'd love to see a winding device of sorts, sort of like a charge pad or wireless charger that winds all of your equipment's mainsprings when you stand still on it in a certain orientation, because while i have 9 months in my time well at the present moment, i still find myself a little underwhelmed at how much i have to wind my armor. i even stopped mid- ender dragon fight to wind my armor!

i'd love to see some function for the liquid time sand, but for now, i'm content decorating with it.

i'd also really enjoy seeing some moving parts in decorative blocks. functionally, i'd say that everything in the mod works very well, if not a little... "too" well... i've overflowed several alchemical chests with temporal nuggets from my ventures, and in my current play through i have legitimately obtained a whole double chest of temporal ingots. in the upcoming mod, i hope that there is an alternative to this, as while it's fun earlygame, late game it can be rather... wanton.

now for the complaints. the TemPoRaL InGOt TexT iS rAtHer JaRRinG. i'm not a fan of the change in text, and i'm aware that you've already spoken on this, but really, it's not appealing. if you feel the need to represent the item as a substance that exists as a kind of ephemeral or otherly substance, perhaps do it in the icon, or the tooltip, i am not the first person to notice this, nor am i the last.

secondly, the rendering for the armor feels lackluster in comparison to the rest of the mod. the "high- quality" graphics or the blocks can be quite impressive, especially that GORGEOUS celestial compass, but the armor never fails to strike me as... off putting. i use it because i love this mod to pieces, and the clockwork/ mainspring system is one of the most enjoyable in game, but i wish it looked cooler. also the pieces of the armor seem to have slots indicating where a phase symbol should be, making me thing that the armor is in fact unfinished.

finally, i feel as if the phase system is under-utilized. i'm aware that there are upcoming plans for it, but it's just... SO apparent that there should really already be more involved in the phase process. and i can never notice any increase in power in my hourglass, so i barely notice anyways

Well, to conclude: i really like this mod, and i'm SO excited to see more of your work! i hope my feedback hasn't been offensive in any way, as that was not the intention, i'm just trying to be honest.

Reactions: Wraithflay

Lumaceon

Popular Member
Jul 23, 2014
Not Kansas
I always love feedback, so thanks for taking the time to type out your thoughts. Most of the complaints you bring up I've been aware of for a while. The temporal text was sort of an "on-the-spot" thing, I won't be carrying that over to CP2. It seemed like a good idea at the time, but I understand that it can be a pain, especially if English isn't one's first language. I did have further plans for the armor, but none of them seemed to pan out very well. Phases were probably one of the least thought-out parts of the whole mod. They'll still exist in CP2, but not in the same way.

I'm glad you like my mod. If you have any more critiques or suggestions, feel free to post them.

Reactions: Wraithflay
Jul 29, 2019
Hello I'm back
I always love feedback, so thanks for taking the time to type out your thoughts. Most of the complaints you bring up I've been aware of for a while. The temporal text was sort of an "on-the-spot" thing, I won't be carrying that over to CP2. It seemed like a good idea at the time, but I understand that it can be a pain, especially if English isn't one's first language. I did have further plans for the armor, but none of them seemed to pan out very well. Phases were probably one of the least thought-out parts of the whole mod. They'll still exist in CP2, but not in the same way.

I'm glad you like my mod. If you have any more critiques or suggestions, feel free to post them.

I haven't played this mod in a while since noW I'm playing forgecraft, but
It was very good. I saw that someone was talking about all mod having a proper wiki for it, so I want to create a wiki page for this mod, but have no idea how.

Yes this guy I agree with. Maybe the author can ask someone to help with this or someone can create an entire web page just for this. Either way it will take a while to do all of it, but it's worth it.

I'm not sure if u have a YouTube or something, but if it's possible, can u make a developer commentary video to show us previews of the clockwork phase 2 mod? I want to start working on a addon for it, and can't work on ideas until I see it.

Of course if u want to make it a secret, then sure. I don't like to screw surprises up, although I hate them...

Hopefully the new 2.0 is cooler than 1.0(whatever the version is)and that someone, hopefully someone famous, will create a modpack with it, so I can play it, find a problem, tell you, and until it's fixed, abuse it.

If u can make a problem on purpose for us to abuse(((o(*゚▽゚*)o)))

Lumaceon

Popular Member
Jul 23, 2014
Not Kansas
Admittedly, I'm mostly ignoring this mod's issues. Since CP2 is a rewrite, very few of the problems carry over, so I've been kinda lazy with fixing any of the non-major problems, including the lack of documentation. I'll definitely be making some sort of in-game documentation for Clockwork Phase 2 though. Probably a journal from your future self.

I would prefer not to make a developer's commentary, but I'm fine with showing what I've been working on. The big "hold up" is the build process, which is fairly slow. Even though I'm using world-edit, I can only go so fast as I'm building multiple fairly large structures on my own. As far as fun thingies to mess around with go, there are the temporal machines, which run instantly if you have enough time in them to "pay" for the wait you're skipping. That'll be one of the main mechanics of the mod in-fact: paying time to skip waiting. Temporal tools will also use this mechanic as well and will instantly break everything, again, assuming you can pay the time that you're skipping.
scTLtoh.png

dragon_fang101

Jul 29, 2019
is there gonna be a seperate thread for CP2 or is it gonna be the modding journal? also I'm gonna be using this in my modpack :D

bioa10

Jul 29, 2019
Hello :D I really like this mod and hopefully clockwork phase 2 is coming soon. Also I was thinking that it would be cool to have clockwork Automata (Clockwork robots that look like humans). And have the Automata be able to do things such as farming or other tasks. What do you think?

Reactions: Lumaceon