[CHALLENGE] (v4.3-ish 6/7/18) Refugee to Regent Kingdom Building Challenge

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

What do you think of the Serf to Supreme Challenge?

• City Construction Challenge was better!

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • It's okay, but there's definitely room for improvement

Votes: 35 27.1%
  • Give me my Electrics sooner!

Votes: 14 10.9%
  • I enjoy the slow introduction of mods.

Votes: 43 33.3%
  • I wish Element Animation would hurry up with the next episode.

Votes: 24 18.6%
  • I love it!

Votes: 51 39.5%

• Total voters

Arikmai

Jul 29, 2019
I was wondering if somebody could tell me if my house pillars are set up correctly? I don't fully understand how it is supposed to work.
R9dFSYX.jpg

Reactions: Senseidragon

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
Um... it used to be a lot more explicit, but I THINK that your support pillars are correct.

The short version if you don't want to read my long-winded technical post (that I'm half-loopy while writing so it will likely be disjointed and hard to follow)?
You can only have 3 blocks or less between any two walls or pillars of appropriate size. You fit the bill on both counts.

I pick apart D&D rules in my spare time for theorycrafting and Character Optimization purposes... it leads to a very particular way of parsing rules... so blame my Character Optimizing Rules Lawyer mind but I read
  • "If your Hovel is longer than 3 blocks long/wide in any direction, it must be supported. It may be supported by a 2 block high Log pillar, or a 2x2 Dirt/Gravel/Clay support pillar."
as
  • "No ceiling block may reach more than 1.5 blocks of interior space away from the nearest wall or support pillar"
Which also makes my distance calculators on square grids perk up because of diagonals... but let's ignore that for the time being... especially because most systems treat the first diagonal as less than the real distance for ease. Note that the center of those 3x3 chambers would collapse unless the reach was 1.75... which is getting WAY too technical for a building guideline in a game :)

If you've got 3 interior space everything is fine, but if you've got 4 interior space things are unsupported. Which means it can't be "within 2" or you could span a 4-wide gap. Instead think of walls and pillars providing 1.5 blocks of support. In the 3-wide scenario each wall is providing 1.5 blocks of reach, which means 1.5+1.5=3... you've got 3 blocks, that's fine. But when you get 2 blocks from each wall of interior space the number of blocks that need to be supported by each wall goes up to 2. That brings the total blocks that need to be supported up to 4, while the number that CAN be supported is only 3. That "collapses" and hence is not a valid house.

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
I don't have so much a concern with the spacing, as that seems fine.

If you're in the Dirt Hovel stage however, unless it's just wierdness of the texture pack, that looks like a furnace in the background. You shouldn't have access to that until after you get out of Dirt Hovel stage. :)

Likewise, access to coal is gated by wooden tools, so I'm assuming your light source would be a rubber + sticks variant of torch instead of charcoal/coal + sticks.

Ultimately though, remember that these are just guidelines. If something doesn't make any sense to you, or makes it too hard or less fun for you, feel free to adjust. It looks like a good start to me!

Edit: It could be just a crafting table back there, the meat in your hotbar looked cooked, which threw me off! :)

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, the hovel is made of clay, and the block in the middle, right next to the bed, is a crafting bench. The other is a chest. The texture pack is pretty similar to Painterly, Doku, and/or Jadedcat's mixpack. So while it's not immediate like vanilla would be, I can at least make a reasonably educated guess.

Also the food in the hotbar from left to right is Apple, blueberry, rotten/zombie flesh and... I haven't a clue what the last two items even are, food or not.

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
I was thinking clay balls and candles for the last two, but not familiar with that texture pack style.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Hey guys. Was planning on doing a Fast 'N Loose version of this and taking lots of screen shots(unless I find a mic that isn't totally horrible and can get a recording program that isn't totally horrible, and find a editing program that can remove parts of videos, because I'm fairly sure that I can't do that with Windows Movie Maker). Decided to do so, but I have to do really fast and loose if I will ever get anywhere since I'm playing Epic Craft.
For example, can make a bed until I have a Carpenter's Hammer, and that takes iron, which I can't get unless I have a tool that can harvest it, and since I can't really use vanilla tools, that'd be a TiC pickaxe, and so forth.
You guys wanna see? I'll start uploading pics later if anyone is interested.

Reactions: VaalDeth

Arikmai

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, the hovel is made of clay, and the block in the middle, right next to the bed, is a crafting bench. The other is a chest. The texture pack is pretty similar to Painterly, Doku, and/or Jadedcat's mixpack. So while it's not immediate like vanilla would be, I can at least make a reasonably educated guess.

Also the food in the hotbar from left to right is Apple, blueberry, rotten/zombie flesh and... I haven't a clue what the last two items even are, food or not.

It is in fact Jaded's Mixpack. I am running the challenge on Monster.

I was thinking clay balls and candles for the last two, but not familiar with that texture pack style.
The last two things are clay balls and torches. The texture pack just makes them look like candles :).

I am really enjoying the idea of the challenge so far, but finding a village has been a bit of a hassle, so my food has been limited to blueberries and apples because I can't grow tilled food. I plan to uproot once I find a village so I don't have to travel so far to farm.
Edit: Just to clarify my understanding a little bit.
Something without a point value, such as "The Hut's dimensions must be at least 6x6" would be something I need to progress to the next age. Where something with a point value such as "Expand the hut to at least 10x10 +1", are extra things that I don't need to progress. Is this correct?

Last edited:

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
I am doing the hardcore difficulty, which has this rule
"Crops that require tilled soil may ONLY be planted in Testificate Villages"
It's worth noting that the revision including the wooden hoe was the last edit to that page, and included nothing else. It was the final edit to said page(as of right now). Suffice to say, unless you really want to locate and use a villager village for farming, you can use a wooden hoe.
I even asked Maul about this. Ages ago now, and pointed out there are requirements for farming, but we can't make any farming tools. So he said we could make wooden hoes.

Arikmai

Jul 29, 2019
It's worth noting that the revision including the wooden hoe was the last edit to that page, and included nothing else. It was the final edit to said page(as of right now). Suffice to say, unless you really want to locate and use a villager village for farming, you can use a wooden hoe.
I even asked Maul about this. Ages ago now, and pointed out there are requirements for farming, but we can't make any farming tools. So he said we could make wooden hoes.

Well I flew around in creative for a little bit(To save time, because this isn't some sort of speed run) and I managed to find a village in a desert with a desert temple almost in in, and another one close by. It also has 4 or 5 different farm plots so I am happy with my discovery :)

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
Those recon runs can be crucial. I played one world once where I searched and searched for a village and finally got annoyed enough to go into creative to locate one. There were NO villages anywhere for over 1000 blocks in any direction. I just gave up and restarted with a new seed at that point.

Now I tend to start by pregenning a little bit of the world to help with initial site selection and to know I have villages within a reasonable distance if I choose to utilize them. Most times I don't, but I like to have at least the option.

VaalDeth

Jul 29, 2019
Those recon runs can be crucial. I played one world once where I searched and searched for a village and finally got annoyed enough to go into creative to locate one. There were NO villages anywhere for over 1000 blocks in any direction. I just gave up and restarted with a new seed at that point.

Now I tend to start by pregenning a little bit of the world to help with initial site selection and to know I have villages within a reasonable distance if I choose to utilize them. Most times I don't, but I like to have at least the option.

This! I spent almost two days checking out random & not so random seeds to find that perfect spot im using for my current challenge.

Now of course I made the mistake of not turning on all the biomes in my modpack (direwolf20 FtB) so I ended up having to regenerate things, but ya... You can do this challenge on any random seed, but thats no where near as fun or inspiring as finding that one spot...

Reactions: YX33A

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
This! I spent almost two days checking out random & not so random seeds to find that perfect spot im using for my current challenge.

Now of course I made the mistake of not turning on all the biomes in my modpack (direwolf20 FtB) so I ended up having to regenerate things, but ya... You can do this challenge on any random seed, but thats no where near as fun or inspiring as finding that one spot...
That one spot is a quest in of itself, honestly. The perfect spot for that thing you wanted to build, be it a DF-Style section of your base, or a nice mountaintop overlook. I'll take that like bombing as a sign of approval for pics unless you say otherwise, Vaal.
Not likely gonna do it on EpicCraft. Why? Because it's got both HO and Spice of Life. Too much farming just to survive...

Arikmai

Jul 29, 2019
Instead of uploading a bunch of pictures to the forum, I took a bunch of screencaps and uploaded them to an imgur album. That can be found here. http://imgur.com/a/EoOI1. I am unsure as to whether my total score so far is 33 points or 32. When I add up all of the possible points in the "Player Dwelling/Estate" there are 8, however next to the title it says (7 points), so I don't know if the number at the top is a typo, or if you are only allowed 7 out of the 8 possible points. Don't hesitate to point out any possible problems with my points because I am not perfect :)

VaalDeth

Jul 29, 2019
Instead of uploading a bunch of pictures to the forum, I took a bunch of screencaps and uploaded them to an imgur album. That can be found here. http://imgur.com/a/EoOI1. I am unsure as to whether my total score so far is 33 points or 32. When I add up all of the possible points in the "Player Dwelling/Estate" there are 8, however next to the title it says (7 points), so I don't know if the number at the top is a typo, or if you are only allowed 7 out of the 8 possible points. Don't hesitate to point out any possible problems with my points because I am not perfect :)

Doing well! I look forward to seeing more.

And here is my latest episode for this week, nearing the end of the Iron Age!