[CHALLENGE] (v4.3-ish 6/7/18) Refugee to Regent Kingdom Building Challenge

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

What do you think of the Serf to Supreme Challenge?

• City Construction Challenge was better!

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • It's okay, but there's definitely room for improvement

Votes: 35 27.1%
  • Give me my Electrics sooner!

Votes: 14 10.9%
  • I enjoy the slow introduction of mods.

Votes: 43 33.3%
  • I wish Element Animation would hurry up with the next episode.

Votes: 24 18.6%
  • I love it!

Votes: 51 39.5%

• Total voters

00dragonking00

Jul 29, 2019
Im a little confused about slums/apartments if you want to build them in earlier stages (Ex: Wooden settlement) because as far as i can see the requirements listed are based of of house requirements later in the game. Also is there a difference in what needs to be built? Or are these the requirements for all the stages on all the difficulties?

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
You know, it's been too long since I looked at those rules, and with the modularization... I have no idea.

I'm betting you're supposed to just ignore the requirements that don't fit your current stage. They're effectively lesser house requirements from what I recall, so you have an easy measuring stick.

The Mobius Archives

Mar 31, 2013
www.youtube.com
Friday/Monday Updates:

On Friday I was working on improving our bees and our Thaumcraft wands:

Today I added an update to my barn with a Water Tank from Railcraft. I'll be moving this closer to the barn once I have my waste processing plant updated.

Reactions: Senseidragon

The Mobius Archives

Mar 31, 2013
www.youtube.com
This changed since I originally passed through the Stone Hamlet stage.

For normal:
http://refugeetoregentchallenge.wik...Advancement Rules:-Fortification-Militia/Army

Commandant > All

10 Soldiers to a Squad (9 Soldiers, 1 Sergeant)
2-4 Squads/Leftenant
I read that as 1 Commandant, 2-4 squads made up of 9 soldiers and 1 sergeant, and 1 - 4 leftenants depending on how many squads you allocate per leftenant.

For hard, I couldn't find a rule, but I'd say double it, it is hardcore after all.

Reactions: 00dragonking00

00dragonking00

Jul 29, 2019
Thank you. I think i will have to use rule of cool to allow shears but only give them 10 uses to show bad craftsmen ship because that is 94 beds for just normal militia. If doing 3 squads for 1 Leftenant and 3 Lefenants for 1 Commandant.

Unless I'm understanding this wrong.

EDIT: Well looking at Iron stage it looks like you get a Lefenant and Commandant then So perhaps you only need 1 squad in stone age normal. That also sounds more reasonable because otherwise you need 94 beds, 115 Sets of leather armor, 115 wooden swords, and enough food to feed 94 people.

Last edited:

The Mobius Archives

Mar 31, 2013
www.youtube.com
Thank you. I think i will have to use rule of cool to allow shears but only give them 10 uses to show bad craftsmen ship because that is 94 beds for just normal militia. If doing 3 squads for 1 Leftenant and 3 Lefenants for 1 Commandant.

Unless I'm understanding this wrong.

EDIT: Well looking at Iron stage it looks like you get a Lefenant and Commandant then So perhaps you only need 1 squad in stone age normal. That also sounds more reasonable because otherwise you need 94 beds, 115 Sets of leather armor, 115 wooden swords, and enough food to feed 94 people.

You may want to consider something much smaller. I dug a bit and before January the wiki it was only listing a couple additional watch as extra militia.
Doing some numbers (fingers and toes) I only totalled 20 residents for Normal all together before the watch and militia. Less if you've been giving your watch housing.

I think I only added 4 additional watch during the Stone Hamlet stage to become the first militia in the Iron Village stage. Again, use the rule of cool, and maybe if Maul Junior comes back we'll see some clarifications or an update to the challenge.

VaalDeth

Jul 29, 2019
You may want to consider something much smaller. I dug a bit and before January the wiki it was only listing a couple additional watch as extra militia.
Doing some numbers (fingers and toes) I only totalled 20 residents for Normal all together before the watch and militia. Less if you've been giving your watch housing.

I think I only added 4 additional watch during the Stone Hamlet stage to become the first militia in the Iron Village stage. Again, use the rule of cool, and maybe if Maul Junior comes back we'll see some clarifications or an update to the challenge.

I agree with the above, I only had enough guards in Stone Age to patrol my areas and protect my Wooden wall, I think it was just under 10 total. I'm now beefing up my forces in the Iron Age of course that I've got my buildings and a nice barracks to house them =D

Rule of Cool > All.

00dragonking00

Jul 29, 2019
Ty, I think i will just make 1 squad in the stone stage for normal and 2 squads for hardcore. That is about 10 people. I am trying to do a decent military since i am using the Custom Npc's mod for this. With it i will make bandits that actually attack and guards that actual defend. But this makes Building an army more important.

yoy1zoz2mom3

Jul 29, 2019
Just started on this challenge, damn its hard to resist going straight for the iron :p
Someone (More capable than me) should turn this into a mod pack, with each tier being a different HQM quest line perhaps?

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
It's easy if you're just measuring x amount of resources gathered, but there's no real way (as of this post) to identify that you've generated appropriate structures and contents via HQM.

Making HQM quests that identify that you've met particular resource gathering goals is pretty easy, but isn't a major aspect of the challenge. It'd be neat if there was a good fit for HQM in the challenge, but at this time at least, I can't see it.

While bored to death waiting for 1.7.10 FTB modpack releases, I tried downloading the "Modsauce" pack provided by ATLauncher. A lot of the mods in that pack work pretty well together, though I ended up removing a lot of mods (warfare based, mostly) that I personally didn't think fit my idea of a R2R challenge pack.

I think I could be pretty happy with a good set of 1.7.10 mods at this point, but I'm really torn on the "magic" side of it -- I've always tended to lean toward thaumcraft, and don't really want multiple magic mods in the pack. Something like Ars Magica/Blood Magic/Botania/Necromancy/Thaumcraft/Witchery would be a nightmare to deal with. Maybe one or two of those that don't insanely bog down a server? Blood Magic/Witchery seemed like they'd be more appropriate for pvp multiplayer servers, not so much a solo or small co-op R2R server.

AM2 was interesting and provided a good alternative to Thaumcraft, but I think both in the same pack may go a little overboard.

My unease with Thaumcraft has been and will always be with that blasted Taint. I know I can disable it in the config, but I feel that kind of detracts from what @Azanor was going for with balance. I just hate taint that much. My OCD goes nuts when I see that stuff, and I waste ages trying to obliterate it and fix my "ruined" landscapes.

I may try loading in AM2 into my current pack setup and see how it plays with the other mods. If that doesn't work I'll switch back to Thaumcraft for the magic side of things. I'm itching to start the challenge with something beyond 1.6.4 mods, but I really want a good mix of potential adventure in there, not just the same stuff you see everywhere else.

Salamileg9

Jul 29, 2019
Well, I guess my Thaumcraft vs. AM2 decision was made a little easier...

https://twitter.com/Mithion13/status/521652168009715712 <-- Mithion is no longer developing AM2.

Anyone have any thoughts (pro and con) on Botania? Once I got past the "OMG, flowers everywhere!" moment, it looks like there might be something to it. It's just an awful lot of flowers though.
Pretty sure you can lower the amount that generate in the config. If you need more there's a special type of bonemeal that grows those flowers.

Reactions: Senseidragon