[CHALLENGE] (v4.3-ish 6/7/18) Refugee to Regent Kingdom Building Challenge

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

What do you think of the Serf to Supreme Challenge?

• City Construction Challenge was better!

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • It's okay, but there's definitely room for improvement

Votes: 35 27.1%
  • Give me my Electrics sooner!

Votes: 14 10.9%
  • I enjoy the slow introduction of mods.

Votes: 43 33.3%
  • I wish Element Animation would hurry up with the next episode.

Votes: 24 18.6%
  • I love it!

Votes: 51 39.5%

• Total voters

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
Welcome, Littggr! I hope you have fun with your 1.7.10 world, and would love to hear what mods you decide on playing with.

I'm testing a batch of mods in 1.7.10 with my daughter right now and so far it's pretty fun. I've added a few mods I'd previously never heard of before and am pretty happy so far.

I'm a fan of anything that makes the vanilla villagers less ... derpy ... (I hate that word, but it kinda fits them when I have to keep rescuing them from the well) and so a few of the mods I've tinkered with recently are Custom NPCs (of course), Better Villages, MoVillages, and Helpful Villagers. The two middle ones try to clean up some of the vanilla placement and make villages a tad less rare, the first requires a bit of work to get going but can blend in pretty well with the City Construction Challenge theme, and the last one, while pretty buggy still, removes the trading aspect of villagers and turns them into farmers, lumberjacks, miners, and pack mules.

If you're into the Cauldron/MCPC+ thing for a server and can use Bukkit-style plugins, Citizens2/Denizens/Sentry are a set of plugins that can also provide some advanced villager-type interactions. I tried fiddling with them for a bit, but there are some incompatibilities with other mods when using MCPC+/Cauldron so I'll probably have to let those drop off my radar for the near term.

Purely for ambiance more than anything else, I've also found that adding WildCaves3 makes mining more visually interesting.

As a general go-to for agricultural variety, I turn to Pam's HarvestCraft by @MatrexsVigil paired with SpiceOfLife, which provides a compelling reason to become an Iron Chef of Minecraft. Previously I paired it with Hunger Overhaul but I decided I liked SpiceOfLife better.

Pam also has some other mods, two of which I regularly include: Pam's Clay Spawn and Pam's BoneCraft. These have to really be given some careful consideration before adding if you're doing this challenge though, as it most certainly makes some aspects of the game much easier to deal with. For me, it removed some tedium and grinding.

Again, welcome to the thread!

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
It really depends on how expansive you want to get and how happy you are with your chosen settlement area. Do you have plenty of space for your future outlier colonies? Do you plan to build vertically (hi-rise or into the depths) or horizontally (like Vaal and Mobius have done)?

In my latest run, I've started trying to build out of a ravine, building into the side walls, and using higher tiers for agricultural and lower tiers for industrial districts. When/If I ever get around to magic, they'll probably reside in an extra-dimensional (e.g., mystcraft age) colony.

In his latest video, Mobius is talking about his plans to expand west to claim an additional island for his empire. The map he refers to should give you a sense of scale vs. the progress he's made thus far.

VaalDeth used Opis (the mapping mod) well early on I think by using waypoints to place markers for future expansion areas. I think it helped him in planning for where he wanted to build things up as he progressed.

Reactions: VaalDeth

Littggr

Jul 29, 2019
hmm, i'll take that into consideration. I'm planning on building out as much as possible because every base i've built in minecraft previously has been tower/dungeon types all in one building.

for the main city i'll probably outline a 500r circle for it with at least a 500block buffer area between it and any major outposts. (outpost edge is min 1k blocks away from the center of the capitol)
so, pregen will be a 10kx10k centered on my capitol. starting out is going to be a pain in the rear :p

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
Professor Mobius (The Waila Guy) released a tool for 1.6.4 called ACT (Admin Commands Toolbox) recently. I imagine he'll be forward porting it to 1.7.x soon. I mention it because he includes a /pregen command that might be useful to you.

Admin Commands Toolbox

Littggr

Jul 29, 2019
yep! that's one of the mods i'm waiting on. still building my modlist around how i want this to play out

The Mobius Archives

Mar 31, 2013
www.youtube.com
Hey everyone! Do one of you have a lot of experience with Witchery? In regards to the challenge what would you consider the tier levels of the mod? I'm currently looking for the first tier that I can introduce in my Redstone Expansion stage and still be useful. Fumes from the witches oven aren't particularly useful in and of themselves. The Altar is a power source for other items. Pretty much anything useful starts appearing after you have an attuned stone. This includes the Kettle and distillery. I have a feeling that some brews and some circle magic would be fine to consider tier I witchery. Do any of you have specific opinions and experience?

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
Witchery really doesn't have a tier system that I've noticed. It's more of an organic progression system. But getting to pre-attuned stone circle magic is probably a good early usability cutoff. Then it would probably be pre-summoning, and then pre-attunement (like light, ender, etc)? I've only really played with the first bits of the mod, unfortunately. I've been spending way too much time dealing with the version update and all the mods being at various states of abandonment. I cannot WAIT until the mod/plugin API makes it so I should be able to use any mod from any previous plugin supported version of minecraft. Theoretically, because there's always stuff that goes wrong, but it basically turns every update into a 1.6.2 -> 1.6.4 where only very specific mods will be broken, and the introduced bugs are usually very minor to fix.

Reactions: Senseidragon

VaalDeth

Jul 29, 2019
Vaal and Mobius, Thanks for getting me back into minecraft! i'm starting a 1.7.10 modded world and following both of you for inspiration during this challenge :)
I'm debating on doing a let's play for this but i might record it for my own gratification anyway.

Welcome back! I'm glad I could help be some inspiriation, and I look forward to seeing your progress. Also real good to see others keeping it up, I've been super busy working tons of overtime and spending time with the new girlfriend but I am not stopping have no fear!

Here is my latest episode, just haven't found the time to post here hehe.

Hope you all enjoy![DOUBLEPOST=1408649623][/DOUBLEPOST]
VaalDeth used Opis (the mapping mod) well early on I think by using waypoints to place markers for future expansion areas. I think it helped him in planning for where he wanted to build things up as he progressed.

Exactly, I'm still using it a lot. It does occur to me I haven't shown the map in the last few episodes lol. I'm all about maps, and I totally understand not wanting to build underground / all in towers any more.

Mobius' world is getting jam-packed :p

HeilMewTwo

Jul 29, 2019
Has anybody put together a mod pack for this challenge, or do I have to download and install all of them myself?

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
You will have to download and install them yourself.

Maul tried once, but honestly I think it works better the way he designed it to be pretty much free-form with the mods you have or don't. I think the Resonant Rise pack on ATLauncher or Direwolf20 on FTB were the packs that included most of the mods Maul mentioned in the wiki page with a list of mods. Basically you want a mix of magic and tech mods and to exercise your judgement on tech tier levels. Maul_Junior includes a lot of examples so it's not too hard to make your own decisions as to what probably should or should not be included in each settlement tier.

HeilMewTwo

Jul 29, 2019
You will have to download and install them yourself.

Maul tried once, but honestly I think it works better the way he designed it to be pretty much free-form with the mods you have or don't. I think the Resonant Rise pack on ATLauncher or Direwolf20 on FTB were the packs that included most of the mods Maul mentioned in the wiki page with a list of mods. Basically you want a mix of magic and tech mods and to exercise your judgement on tech tier levels. Maul_Junior includes a lot of examples so it's not too hard to make your own decisions as to what probably should or should not be included in each settlement tier.
Thanks, I might just try playing this on Monster with some more mods added in then.