[CHALLENGE] (v4.3-ish 6/7/18) Refugee to Regent Kingdom Building Challenge

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

What do you think of the Serf to Supreme Challenge?

• City Construction Challenge was better!

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • It's okay, but there's definitely room for improvement

Votes: 35 27.1%
  • Give me my Electrics sooner!

Votes: 14 10.9%
  • I enjoy the slow introduction of mods.

Votes: 43 33.3%
  • I wish Element Animation would hurry up with the next episode.

Votes: 24 18.6%
  • I love it!

Votes: 51 39.5%

• Total voters

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
Me personally? I qualify hoppers as machines. Simple machines, mind you, but machines nevertheless. Plus a hopper is working a large amount of iron into shape. Something like the Bibliocraft tool rack, or the Book Binder has iron as mainly a structural element. You could have replaced the iron with wood or stone and probably worked out just fine, except for limitations with the crafting grid.

The detail I plan to base my judgements off of is small amounts of iron that don't need to be particularly strong or complex. If I could shape the metal part(s) with a hammer, a charcoal forge, and an anvil; it doesn't use more than 3 iron ingots; I could accomplish the metalwork in under a day (I'm part of a medieval reenactment group, so I have a bit of basic blacksmithing training); and the metal isn't a working part more complicated than one of the Simple Machines (lever, inclined plane, etc.); then it is good to go for me. The Chisel is a great example. That's a wedge, that you could work-harden and even cold-forge (tempering is a higher-tech operation). The tool rack uses it for the clip/rack things. The book binder is a heavy metal plate (mostly used for weight/pressure).

Probably the only "tools" I would allow myself in stone, and maybe wood would be the saw from Forge Multiparts, and the pots/pans/whatever from Pam's Harvestcraft.

Maul_Junior

Jul 29, 2019
Me personally? I qualify hoppers as machines. Simple machines, mind you, but machines nevertheless. Plus a hopper is working a large amount of iron into shape. Something like the Bibliocraft tool rack, or the Book Binder has iron as mainly a structural element. You could have replaced the iron with wood or stone and probably worked out just fine, except for limitations with the crafting grid.

The detail I plan to base my judgements off of is small amounts of iron that don't need to be particularly strong or complex. If I could shape the metal part(s) with a hammer, a charcoal forge, and an anvil; it doesn't use more than 3 iron ingots; I could accomplish the metalwork in under a day (I'm part of a medieval reenactment group, so I have a bit of basic blacksmithing training); and the metal isn't a working part more complicated than one of the Simple Machines (lever, inclined plane, etc.); then it is good to go for me. The Chisel is a great example. That's a wedge, that you could work-harden and even cold-forge (tempering is a higher-tech operation). The tool rack uses it for the clip/rack things. The book binder is a heavy metal plate (mostly used for weight/pressure).

Probably the only "tools" I would allow myself in stone, and maybe wood would be the saw from Forge Multiparts, and the pots/pans/whatever from Pam's Harvestcraft.

I believe I restricted the Hopper to the Iron Village stage as a machine precursor......

Just wanted to post here and say this one thing--

If you want to use Mufflers to make your Livestock shut up, there is no longer any restriction on these if you want to cheat them in, because Livestock can make your ears bleed in short order if you have enough of them.

Also, did some work on the Agriculture page. The Rancher bonus building is a Barn, and lets the Rancher handle 5 more animals, and all of his Livestock gets a 125% Food Point bonus.

Last edited:

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
That's why my Agricultural outlier, much like in a real city, isn't near the residential sector. Those animals be loud... and stinky... did I mention loud?

Maul_Junior

Jul 29, 2019
I'm concentrating on the Agriculture section for the moment, since once I finish that up I won't need to touch it for a while.

Right now each section has 3 major sections

The Agriculturalist's house (and any servants/x-hands he has helping him)
Agriculturalist's products
Agriculturalist's Bonus Building that provides a bonus to him (and occasionally others in the same Agricultural line). Currently I only have the Granary for Farms/Plantations and the Barn for Livestock/Stables/Kennels. The Bonus Buildings let the Farmers/Ranchers tend more land/crops, and the hands tend to more too, on top of each Plant/animal counting for an additional 1/4 of a food point (rounded up).

Also, currently Granaries may only store food for their home town, unless the entire place is Agriculturally focused. In that case, they can store food for the entire nation/empire.

I've decided to add a fourth way to boost Agriculture--Synergy (I have to admit, whenever I see that word I go back to my Golden Sun days and want to respell it as psynergy).

Basically, having certain Agriculturalist types in the same town will boost both their production. Sometimes they'll need to simply be in the same town, sometimes next to each other.

For example, Bees/Orchards. Bees boost Orchard production, and the better pollen from the Orchards boosts Bee production.

I know I want Livestock/Kennels/Stables to boost Plantations/Farms, and Farms that produce breeding material for Livestock/Pets/Rideables will boost Ranch/Kennel/Stable output.

.....not really sure how to boost Fishing, though. About the only thing I can think of is Ranch/Kennel/Stables boost production, because better fed/quality worms?

Any ideas you might have I'd appreciate.

Also, I'm moving Ore Berries from the Orchard section to the Plantation section, because Farmers have the fruit berries.

Rough Draft finished up

http://refugeetoregentchallenge.wikispaces.com/Agriculture

Thoughts?

Last edited:

VaalDeth

Jul 29, 2019
I'm concentrating on the Agriculture section for the moment, since once I finish that up I won't need to touch it for a while.

Right now each section has 3 major sections

The Agriculturalist's house (and any servants/x-hands he has helping him)
Agriculturalist's products
Agriculturalist's Bonus Building that provides a bonus to him (and occasionally others in the same Agricultural line). Currently I only have the Granary for Farms/Plantations and the Barn for Livestock/Stables/Kennels. The Bonus Buildings let the Farmers/Ranchers tend more land/crops, and the hands tend to more too, on top of each Plant/animal counting for an additional 1/4 of a food point (rounded up).

Also, currently Granaries may only store food for their home town, unless the entire place is Agriculturally focused. In that case, they can store food for the entire nation/empire.

I've decided to add a fourth way to boost Agriculture--Synergy (I have to admit, whenever I see that word I go back to my Golden Sun days and want to respell it as psynergy).

Basically, having certain Agriculturalist types in the same town will boost both their production. Sometimes they'll need to simply be in the same town, sometimes next to each other.

For example, Bees/Orchards. Bees boost Orchard production, and the better pollen from the Orchards boosts Bee production.

I know I want Livestock/Kennels/Stables to boost Plantations/Farms, and Farms that produce breeding material for Livestock/Pets/Rideables will boost Ranch/Kennel/Stable output.

.....not really sure how to boost Fishing, though. About the only thing I can think of is Ranch/Kennel/Stables boost production, because better fed/quality worms?

Any ideas you might have I'd appreciate.

Also, I'm moving Ore Berries from the Orchard section to the Plantation section, because Farmers have the fruit berries.

Rough Draft finished up

http://refugeetoregentchallenge.wikispaces.com/Agriculture

Thoughts?

Interesting ideas, as far as fishing goes... Sticking to your theme of the two resources boosting each other (livestock boosts farms, farms boost livestock, but I'm assuming you do not count the 'bonus' points gained from one in the other... so there is no infinite loop of bonues!) fishing seems unique. There is not really something in Minecraft we harvest that boosts it (as there is no breeding of fish like the other things - bees, livestock, rideables, pets), so my thought is infrastructure?

Having a port/harbour (stages?) of some kind to give fishermen access to bigger and better fishing boats/rigs/equipment? Or perhaps merely fishing is unique and you just need 'more' fishing huts spread around. Perhaps some combination. I like the idea of lots of fishermen in lil dingy's (read: minecraft boat) early on, and as the port grows they move into large fishing vessels with tech-enhancments like nets, etc LOL.

Brainstorming.

~Vaal

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
I think Mariculture allows for fish breeding, but I haven't personally tried it. It may be pointless for all I know.

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
It does indeed allow for fish breeding... though I haven't played with the mod enough to say much more than that. The documentation was a bit sparse when I tried in Agrarian Skies, and I hadn't progressed particularly far into the map yet

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
Mariculture fish do apparently produce products though. No idea how you get them or anything, but I know the enderfish (ender-something anyway) produces ender pearls... somehow... NEI is both really useful and completely useless with all the nonstandard crafting handlers and new mechanics

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
RE: Mariculture: Very useful mod, believe it or not. Yes, it has fish breeding, but much more then that! The fish breeding is only one section of it(fishing/breeding, namely). It also has a factory section, involving metalworking and adds a way to melt ores ala TiC but without a need for lava, a magic section involving jewelry and special enchantments and magical mirrors for enchanting in the field(and later ones for simply getting stronger enchantments period) and pearls(which can be made into blocks or jewelry), a section with automation, and best of all, it has the F.L.U.D.D. for transportation and fighting(also there is a better boat, one that doesn't float off when you get out of it and it only breaks when hit by a player).

The Mobius Archives

Mar 31, 2013
www.youtube.com
Hey all,

I'm getting close to wrapping up my iron village stage. Just found a nearly perfect site for a mining outlier too.

I'm looking forward to the Redstone expansion from here.

By the way, are any of you doing the challenge on 1.7.2 mods yet?

Reactions: Senseidragon

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
Some of the snapshot features look promising to me. Not really anxious to dive into any set of mods yet until things sort out regarding who is maintaining what mods, which developers are sticking around, and which are fading away to pursue other interests.

I've found myself getting more agitated with the state of the magic mods in general, no one mod really seems to stand up as a solid, balanced, not-too-grindy, or trollish (*cough* taint *cough*) system. Granted, it's probably just me in my old age, but there are plenty of older minecrafters out there, we're just not always as vocal as others. :)

I've expressed similar opinions regarding that awful (to ME) sacred rubber sapling in MFR. Other than things like that, I pretty much like the mod. What possessed the developer to put it in at all apart from trolling or ego-stroking is beyond me.

I've been watching http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1210470-A-Guide-to-Modding-Minecraft to keep an eye on the newer 1.7.x mods, it's pretty reliable and a little easier (for ME) to dig through than the list on minecraft forums.

VaalDeth

Jul 29, 2019
Some of the snapshot features look promising to me. Not really anxious to dive into any set of mods yet until things sort out regarding who is maintaining what mods, which developers are sticking around, and which are fading away to pursue other interests.

..snip...

I've been watching http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1210470-A-Guide-to-Modding-Minecraft to keep an eye on the newer 1.7.x mods, it's pretty reliable and a little easier (for ME) to dig through than the list on minecraft forums.

Ahh MMo-champion, brings me back.

Personally if I can't seamlessly transfer I won't be for awhile, luckily I havent really gotten into many mods yet (just getting into magical ones), so I'm hoping I'm in good shape with regards to world-gen mods.

Anyway its Monday, and that means a new episode! This one is alittle light on challenge-building, so I might do another episode this week. As someone earlier mentioned, I can't build ALL the time or I'd had the challenge!

Enjoy!

Last edited:

The Mobius Archives

Mar 31, 2013
www.youtube.com
This is the last episode of my Iron Village stage. We make an attempt at the Tribulation Tower with slightly disappointing results... Then go for the challenge of a Rogue-like Dungeon.

After a bit of post-episode exploration I discovered a few nearby dark ravines that are limiting the mob spawn rates over in my tower.

Reactions: VaalDeth