[CHALLENGE] (v4.3-ish 6/7/18) Refugee to Regent Kingdom Building Challenge

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

What do you think of the Serf to Supreme Challenge?

• City Construction Challenge was better!

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • It's okay, but there's definitely room for improvement

Votes: 35 27.1%
  • Give me my Electrics sooner!

Votes: 14 10.9%
  • I enjoy the slow introduction of mods.

Votes: 43 33.3%
  • I wish Element Animation would hurry up with the next episode.

Votes: 24 18.6%
  • I love it!

Votes: 51 39.5%

• Total voters

The Mobius Archives

Mar 31, 2013
www.youtube.com
Hey everyone,

Here are the first 3 of my episodes into the Redstone Expansion.

First off, better tools:

Lusting over Redstone lamps and some planning:

Here we start to figure out Tinkers' Steelworks and build the front of the Cartographers Office! Also I stumbled over Vaal's name and completely messed up the details I saw him use on the blacksmith. Sorry Vaal!

VaalDeth

Jul 29, 2019
Hey everyone,

Here are the first 3 of my episodes into the Redstone Expansion.

First off, better tools:

Lusting over Redstone lamps and some planning:

Here we start to figure out Tinkers' Steelworks and build the front of the Cartographers Office! Also I stumbled over Vaal's name and completely messed up the details I saw him use on the blacksmith. Sorry Vaal!

=) No worries Mobius, also happy to see you taking inspiration from my builds!

On that note, here is my latest episode, this time I finally start constructing in what I'm going to call the 'final' color scheme for my medieval-fantasy city.

Hope you all enjoy.

The Mobius Archives

Mar 31, 2013
www.youtube.com
Just curious, but @The Mobius Archives and @VaalDeth what do you guys use to record videos with?
The setup I use is stripped down to the essentials. Windows 8 is my primary operating system so your mileage will vary. A DirectShow capture driver for video (I don't recall which but the source code is out there), FFMPEG to record video, game audio, and commentary in separate tracks, and a self-made gui to help out. I previously used VirtualDub but the software crashing mid-record drove me nuts.

For editing Audacity to clean up the audio, Lightworks for video editing. I previously used Blender for video and found I could do what I needed to in Lightworks rather easily.

I was frugal when starting out so everything above was free aside from the experimentation needed to set it up "just so".

Reactions: YX33A and VaalDeth

VaalDeth

Jul 29, 2019
Just curious, but @The Mobius Archives and @VaalDeth what do you guys use to record videos with?

Hey! I use Bandicam software to record video and audio, and it does audio as two separate tracks, 1 - the game and PC sounds, and 2 - my microphone.

I probably need to spend time finding a codec that runs better but I use the 'basic' variable-bit-rate mpeg-1 codec that comes with Bandicam and record at 720p, 30fps @ 80% quality.

Like Mobius I use the free software Audacity to filter out noise from my microphone track (my loud PC in the room...) and I mix it with my game audio track for good measure (so I only have 1 audio track to edit with). Then I use my old copy of Adobe Premiere CS2 to do the video editing, stripping out the embedded audio from the video files and linking in my mixed/filtered audio tracks.

Hardest part of getting setup I feel is audio, figuring out a way to record with isolating your microphone audio so you can filter it on its own (noisey audio on video is #1 turn off). This is why I spent a few bucks on Bandicam (others are good for this too) to ensure it would record the audio separately for me (unlike say FRAPS, which combines it all). Although at the time I didn't know about this FFMPEG Mobius mentions, I will have to look at that. 8P

Best Regards,
~VaalDeth

The Mobius Archives

Mar 31, 2013
www.youtube.com
Here's my post for the week. I get started on a market stall design.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for market stall designs or mods that will help in the sort of open market concept? I'm thinking of blankets and pots but nothing that displays items in such a setting comes to mind.

Reactions: Senseidragon

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Here's my post for the week. I get started on a market stall design.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for market stall designs or mods that will help in the sort of open market concept? I'm thinking of blankets and pots but nothing that displays items in such a setting comes to mind.
No idea on blankets, but Zelda Sword Skills has Clay Jars, made from 7 bricks in a Caldron shape.

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
I think I'll finally dip into the Let's Play pond once 1.8 hits. I've been spending my time brushing up my modding skills in 1.7.10+, since I've totally given up on 1.7.2 as being unreliable and 1.6.4 while enjoyable, is getting a bit long in the tooth.

*Disclaimer* I know that the world may end before 1.8 hits, or it may be out Real Soon Now™

Here's to hoping that 1.8 won't completely screw everything up from what I've learned in 1.7.10+ modding.

And kudos to both @VaalDeth and @The Mobius Archives on some very dedicated and inspirational work with the 1.6.4 series. I've learned a bit about what works and in some cases what not to do (with appropriate chuckles) while watching you two over the past months. It continues to be a good time.

My latest mad-scientist experiments involve trying to incorporate CustomNPCs (which I like, but the questing is very primitive) with HQM (which I also like, with good questing, but doesn't completely fit the City Construction Challenge 'feel'). I think something between the two would really fit well in giving CCC some structure to allow others to more easily give this challenge a shot and have some fun while doing it.

This is purely optional of course, but @Noppes (creator of CustomNPCs) also does a MorePlayerModels mod which is pretty clever as well, and would enable players to more easily visualize the @Maul_Junior race variants if they so chose.

It will be interesting to see what mods move forward and which authors have decided they've had enough of rewriting and porting and just let their work fall by the wayside. I know I've gone through dozens of iterations of different mods, in some cases where the maintainers have changed and their vision going forward is different enough that I really don't like the mod that much any more and dropped it. As a result, my vision for what constitutes a good set of mods tends to be a lot more flexible than it was 6 months ago. :)

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
Oh, I don't know if any of you follow this guy, but StormFrenzy over on YouTube has a pretty amazing Build & Play series as well as a set of tutorials on how to build some pretty amazing house designs. Certainly not every villager needs one of his Lake Houses, but I find his presentations to be very enjoyable and original.

He does a LOT of work with pure vanilla minecraft so that the things he does are accessible to everyone, I think that's a definite plus. Currently he's been fiddling with the latest snapshots so you can see some of the newer things that aren't present in 1.6.4 in some of his more recent builds.

Reactions: The Mobius Archives

The Mobius Archives

Mar 31, 2013
www.youtube.com
I've been bad at putting the videos up on this thread. I have been making two videos a week and felt that would have kidnapped this thread a little too much.

Since you asked:
My attempt at Steve's Carts 2 Part 1

And adding a Steve's Cart Man area (Part 2)

Does anyone know if there's a markup to make videos use a smaller thumbnail?

Reactions: Senseidragon