[CHALLENGE] (v4.3-ish 6/7/18) Refugee to Regent Kingdom Building Challenge

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

What do you think of the Serf to Supreme Challenge?

• City Construction Challenge was better!

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • It's okay, but there's definitely room for improvement

Votes: 35 27.1%
  • Give me my Electrics sooner!

Votes: 14 10.9%
  • I enjoy the slow introduction of mods.

Votes: 43 33.3%
  • I wish Element Animation would hurry up with the next episode.

Votes: 24 18.6%
  • I love it!

Votes: 51 39.5%

• Total voters

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
The golden ratio and Fibonacci's sequence are definitely interesting.

Incidentally that's all basic algebra that you listed off. You start with Y money, you have X money now, which means you've spent Z money. Y-X=Z. The sleeping thing is 10.5-6=N. Like I said, basic algebra is everywhere. It's actually what you're doing in elementary school with those "find the answer" problems. What is 5+5? ... 5+5=X ... X=10
Ah. That's interesting. Never thought of it like that.

Also - set up tapatalk on my tablet because that's the only way you can access the site from a mobile device. You're welcome.

wicked9090

Aug 30, 2015
Also - set up tapatalk on my tablet because that's the only way you can access the site from a mobile device. You're welcome.
I thought you were able to use your web browser also, it was just more difficult.
My Tapatalk has been playing up for the last day or so..

The Mobius Archives

Mar 31, 2013
www.youtube.com
The golden ratio and Fibonacci's sequence are definitely interesting.

Incidentally that's all basic algebra that you listed off. You start with Y money, you have X money now, which means you've spent Z money. Y-X=Z. The sleeping thing is 10.5-6=N. Like I said, basic algebra is everywhere. It's actually what you're doing in elementary school with those "find the answer" problems. What is 5+5? ... 5+5=X ... X=10

Oh yeah, the Golden Ratio. That one is is used in architecture (Back to Minecraft again :D ) and aesthetics.

As for this week I'm hunting around for resources. My civilization hasn't yet found the secret of going to the hell dimension (Nether) so we are trying to find lava and other resources from Myst worlds.

Reactions: TomeWyrm

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
I thought you were able to use your web browser also, it was just more difficult.
My Tapatalk has been playing up for the last day or so..

When I tried to access the site through chrome on my tablet, it just pulled up a message about the tapatalk version you needed to see it and would not let me go to the forums.

wicked9090

Aug 30, 2015
When I tried to access the site through chrome on my tablet, it just pulled up a message about the tapatalk version you needed to see it and would not let me go to the forums.

Oh wow okay. My IPhone let me view the site on Safari, it was a pain though, so I got the app. I was given the option of getting the app or using the site though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, the tapatalk network appears to be down for me, and has for like 3 days. Not getting any updates. I can MANUALLY go find 'em but then it's easier just to use my PC :p

Reactions: Monarch_of_Gold

wicked9090

Aug 30, 2015
Yeah it's working for me again now as you could probably see.
Mine was only down for about 36 hours, so I just had to use my PC to use the forums.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
It's easier for me to use my computer to access the forums because I'm usually already here either reading facebook, failbook, or school discussion posts, so may as well.

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
What is the point of a Pebble Bed Reactor if it has been ... adjusted ... to encourage building of fission reactors instead?

fonzi

Jul 29, 2019
Is there still no wiki for this challenge that has proper formatting?

I made 2 changes to a page to make it look better, but I feel like a rewrite could be helpful.

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
Nope, no significant work on the rewrite. @Maul_Junior comes and goes at odd times with frenzied spurts of activity, then disappears again as quickly as he arrives.

fonzi

Jul 29, 2019
Do you think there would be decent interest if I wrote up a successor and threw in on Github pages or something?

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
You should ask Maul before doing a rewrite. I know inspired challenges are fine (like, for example, the FCB challenge and it's successor the M-FCB challenge) but I'm not too sure about a total rewrite of the challenge. That would mean the original author had abandoned it and left it to someone else, which hasn't happened. He's still around, he just gets burdened with life like the rest of us do.

Reactions: wicked9090

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
Who knows, maybe if @Maul_Junior is getting too busy with real life, he'll hand over the reins, or maybe it's just a temporary absence. You're more than welcome to post your revisions in here if you like -- plenty of eyeballs to provide feedback.

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
By that logic I should have let someone take over the M-FCB challenge a month ago. Just because he's not here doesn't mean it's abandoned. It just means he may have a job or a family or school or something (on top of house upkeep) that's eating his time. During the fall/winter/spring everyone's busy.

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
On the flip side of the coin, if you have a rather large group of people interested in a mod, modpack, or even challenge, it is a disservice to them to disappear for great lengths of time. All that will ultimately happen is that it will eventually get forked (license permitting), or die an ignoble death-by-neglect.

While I fully support the idea of having a "real life" come first, I'm also of the mind that if you're too busy to commit to a project, step aside and let someone else take the wheel for a bit. If you come back later as time permits, great. If not, at least the project didn't die because someone had control issues.

@Maul_Junior invariably pops his head up now and again, so I'm not terribly concerned and as I posted earlier, people can always post their ideas or suggestions here in the thread if they like.

How you choose to handle what you're doing - or not doing - with your own variation of the challenge is just as ultimately up to you. If it is going strong, great. If it is dwindling to nothing, maybe you might want to re-think your plan for it. You have school to be concerned about, and it would be insane to not have that at the top of your list. But if it's taking so much of your time that you can't keep up with your thread, or if you do videos, keeps you from posting new videos for weeks-going-on-months, again, you might want to reconsider what is best for the challenge going forward.

I'm just an occasionally outspoken bystander who dabbles in various homegrown packs until I find something I really am content with. Only then will I finally take the leap that you, @The Mobius Archives, @VaalDeth and @Damien Darkside have already done and try posting (and maintaining) a let's play of my own. Sometimes I know what I'm talking about, sometimes I'm a rebel without a clue. Until I take the leap myself, my observations are from the sidelines and should be taken as such. :)

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
What's currently throwing me for a loop is trying and failing to find a balance between school, keeping what housework needs to be done done, and somehow finding time for finishing what I've started. It would be easy if I just had to do school and focus purely on that. I wouldn't be so overwhelmed. My twin, however, still doesn't do much around the house and happens to have bad dives into depression/anxiety/??? right when I'm in school. I don't want to stop school but there is a limit to how I can stretch time. Here lately it's less of an issue of time management and more of an issue of wearing myself down with the house chores (the three jobs I do around the house can take up a lot of time depending on the day) and feeling like I need to sleep if I ever want to get anything out of reading my book. And the term only just started.

I wish they could do at least one of those things. Talking to them, though, brings up the obvious reason I do those things which is because they "can't." Don't get me wrong. I know social anxiety is a very real thing and that I'm blessed to not have it, but they're at the point where they refuse to go outside.

TL;DR: I have a lot of stuff to do and no one to help me do it. There are going to be long gaps between videos like it or not because I just can't balance things the way I want to.

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
...and that's ok. No need to justify your situation. Just something to keep in mind.

I do keep tabs over on your thread and saw you'd posted a "what's up" message, so clearly you're trying to keep up with things. Just don't pop a blood vessel trying to keep everything in the air.

I don't know the current lockdown status of the Wiki for this challenge, but I presume edits have to be approved by Maul before they go in -- unless he adds someone else with approval rights to the wiki. That's his call. People can only help as much as others permit. ;)

For us on this thread, it's keeping an eye on the thread and trying to be helpful and supportive when we can.

@VaalDeth disappears for stretches of time as well, due to wanting to spend more time with significant others if I recall correctly. That's a pretty darn good reason to scale back the video game time in my book!

I got frustrated (again) with Reactorcraft and pulled it back out of my pack, so I'm bummed now. I may give immersive engineering another look. I'm pretty happy with most of the other mods in my pack. It is just down to settling on a little more tech.

Surprisingly (to me), I've kept Mystcraft over RFTools. Not sure why, as I still hate that profiling with a passion. If anything changes, it is likely to be me flip-flopping on this choice again. It'll be one or the other. Not both.