[CHALLENGE] (v4.3-ish 6/7/18) Refugee to Regent Kingdom Building Challenge

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

What do you think of the Serf to Supreme Challenge?

• City Construction Challenge was better!

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • It's okay, but there's definitely room for improvement

Votes: 35 27.1%
  • Give me my Electrics sooner!

Votes: 14 10.9%
  • I enjoy the slow introduction of mods.

Votes: 43 33.3%
  • I wish Element Animation would hurry up with the next episode.

Votes: 24 18.6%
  • I love it!

Votes: 51 39.5%

• Total voters

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
I always use MFR in R2R simply for the rubber trees (and because I don't like IC2-EXP: Greg Edition, because that rubber can be used the same way).

I wonder if Electrical Age's rubber can be used like that? Well if not, that's what MineTweaker is for! I love MineTweaker!

Gelles

Oct 24, 2014
No MFR, so no rubber for me. I was using the cattails from Plant Mega Pack for a while

I'm running a pretty stripped down set of mods (Buildcraft, Railcraft, Forestry, Thermal Foundation et al and a slew of small quality of life mods that I wanted to try out).

I was gonna make candles out of beeswax until I realized that needs power to centrifuge the honeycombs. Maybe I'll add a minetweaker recipe...

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
in Ancient Warfare 2, you can build a hand cranked power generator. Optimally you'd have a worker crank it for you, but nothing stops the player from picking up a hammer and running it manually for a while.

Reactions: VaalDeth

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
After a lot of fiddling around with Ancient Warfare 2, I've decided that although I like a LOT about it, I hate their gates with a passion. You can get stuck on them so easily it isn't funny. I know it's just a bounding/hitbox issue, but it is REALLY annoying.

I'm looking more into the scripting capabilities of CustomNPCs, to see what I can still manage to pull off. No new features from Noppes on that front, but still an amazing mod overall.

Completely unrelated to NPCs, I'm now checking out the Immersive Engineering mod to see where that might best fit in the challenge progression. At first guess, I'd say at or after the Redstone stage. From what I've seen on Forgecraft, it looks promising.

Maul_Junior

Jul 29, 2019
hey guys, I've done a bit of work on the wiki (some of which seems to have been lost somehow >.<). I cleaned up the main page, did a bit of work on a few miscellaneous pages, and added a new section. Probably won't be doing much work on the Religion side for a while, since that's fairly self-contained and self-explanatory atm. For those too lazy to click the link:

Disclaimer: This is just for fun. if this offends you, skip over this. I don't want a repeat of Page 1 here. >.<

3 new in-city builds: The Shrine (basically whatever the cubeaism wiki tells you in the first stage), the Temple, and the Cathedral, in order of size and magnitude.
3 new Religious Outliers:

• Hermitage: Small Outlier that consists of a few shrines tended by Priests.
  • Monastery: A bunch of priests devoted to a particular deity. A small, self-supporting community of devout worshippers.
  • Holy City: An entire city dedicated to one deity. No other deitiies may be *officially* worshipped inside a Holy City. Lots of religious buildings, and support buildings for pilgrims (inns, restaurants, etc). Requires a Super-Cathedral Megabuild.
Hermitages may be consumed by Larger Outliers with no problem. Monasterys, if swallowed by larger cities, must have a wall built around themselves to keep the unbelievers out. Holy Cities may not be consumed by Larger cities--the Holy City consumes the larger city instead.

Also, if you haven't: Try naming your nation/Capital/Outliers. Might make it slightly more personal.

I've started a new challenge--yet again, in 1.8, with only Bibliocraft added for mods atm. I've missed out on far, FAR too many features because mods do them better/more familiarly. Plus Banners.

.....besides, it's kind of amazing how much EthosLabs channel has done with pure vanilla. ol.0 (Okay, that was a typo but I kinda like it. gives the little dude a nose)

I've named my new country Altaria Recently finished a mini world tour to get all of the trees (why must you be so rare, Jungle Biome?? Thank you for the Jungle trees. and melons), stumbled across sunflowers, and am finishing off a few things in the first stage (like luring Villagers over through a series of door "houses"). I literally discovered Coarse Dirt today. These are the kinds of things you miss when you don't play Vanilla closely. I used MineAtlas to view the seed map, and have plans to build my civilization towards the West, initially, until I can plant an Outlier on the Mesa biome.

......and the pair of mushroom islands way out there.

.....though I'm rather paranoid of rabbits coming up and eating all the carrots.

2 gravel/2 dirt=Coarse Dirt, which will forever remain Dirt, and Grass will never grow on it.

Also, after discovering that hoppers work with Furnace Carts, I'm developing plans for a rail system devoid of powered rails (except for stopping carts, maybe), powered by Furnace Carts that stop at specific intervals (wherever their fuel naturally runs out). This would require 1 line for outgoing, full carts, and another with incoming, empty carts--for proper timing. and Anchor carts >.<

Considering 1 Furnace Cart can push 4 others, I'd probably have 1 dedicated cart that will only ever have Charcoal (to refill the filling stations so the train doesn't get stuck), and 3 for hauling stuff.

I intend this world to be 90% Vanilla, with the remaining 10% being Bibliocraft, and Railcraft to lash the carts together/provide anchor carts.

......okay, my mind is blown. Inchworm drive.....in VANILLA? yusss........I have lots of plans for slime blocks in my world. Most of which may or may not include lots of bounce rooms...that you drop into from 100+ blocks up.

:D

I'm also very strongly considering changing the beginning of the Challenge. Dirt Hovel would be just that--dirt. It would become very much a conceptual Stage from which you base the rest of your Challenge. Basically you build a small hovel, and answer some questions, such as:

Name of the Nation/Empire:
Name of the Capital:
Favored color(s) [Favored Colors would be seen in all Leather Armor, which should be dyed to match):
Banner Style (Nation/Empire):
Banner Style (Capital):
Patron deity (Cubeaism, other; if applicable):
Main Race (if applicable):
Favored Building Materials (Pick 3):
Official Food:
Favored Livestock:
Most Hated Enemy Mob (Overworld):
Favored Fighting Style (Traps, Lava Blades, Minecarts, TNT, Bows, Swords, etc):

What the Dirt Hovel stage had otherwise been would be taken up by a new stage: Clay Community--featuring Hardened Clay (Stained to match National/Capital Colors?) buildings. Yes, this means you get the Furnace pre-Wood Settlement. Modern Mods WOULD support this, as Hardened/Stained Clay was introduced in 1.6. Because I can't think of a fancy name for a house that starts with a C or an "S" sound, this means the Refugee Refuge would get yoinked by the Clay stage, and the Wood Settlement Stage will have to be satisfied with Settlement Shanties/Shacks.

....or should the Clay Community be AFTER Wood? After all the Hardened Clay IS comparable to Stone....but the relative rarity of Clay outside of Mesas makes me lean towards keeping it between Dirt and Wood.

This also fixes another annoyance I had--having to leave window spaces clear in clay hovels.

I'm also thinking of putting wooden tools in for Clay, Stone Pick (Only, all other tools are wood) in Wood Settlement, and allowing simple blocks that require Iron in Wood Settlement as well (ie tripwires, tripwire chests, armor stands, etc)--possibly rails/carts too, but not Iron Tools or machinery. Iron tools would still be reserved for the Iron stage.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Mobius Archives

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
Try to avoid anything that gives a great benefit for people that spawn in or near any biome, or more accurately design something around people HAVING that biome when it is possible they won't have it. I have worlds where the nearest desert is 15km away from spawn, as in there are multiple mushroom islands closer than the nearest desert. Same thing for jungles, extreme hills, swamps, savannas, ice plains, taiga, even one world that has no oceans for kilometers in any direction.

Expect people to have access to wood from a random tree, dirt, sand (in semi-limited quantities), and clay (in extremely limited quantities). Design from that point.

I also wouldn't put nearly as many redstone mechanisms in a stage that early, and rails should most definitely not be before iron. The point of the iron age wasn't that people could magically suddenly work iron, it was that they could mass produce the stuff. There are examples of worked iron from well before the dawn of the iron age. You're looking for truly simple things, like the Pam's Harvestcraft prep tools, or the Chisel chisel. Maybe buckets. Armor, weapons, tools, rails, and anything that deals with redstone? Your technological level probably can't support that yet. Not even hoppers, as that's a large metalworking project with a certain degree of automatability that really puts it into redstone contraption territory.

Maul_Junior

Jul 29, 2019
So I've done a bit of Wiki maintenance.

http://refugee-to-regent.wikia.com/wiki/Residential#Immigrants

General building requirements, a point system for decorations, and a point system for utilities (ie Redstone type stuff, storage, crafting)--which means I can just link to one spot instead of saying the same thing over and over and overevery single stage.

The points for each thing range from 1-3 points. 1-point Decorations are stuff like carpeting, empty item frames/pots, 3-point Decorations are a Map Wall that has a bunch ofthe largest Maps set together for a massive map or a full personal Armory (Armor Stand full of armor, plus full set of tools.

1-point Utilities are Doors; ability to open doors (buttons/levers--Pressure Plates are 2-pointers); 3-pointers are Auto Noteblocks for entry/exit or day/night, Auto item-gathering, and auto lighting.

Points are cumulative for the entire building. Utility and Decoration points are not combined.

Next up I'm going to work on codifying each stage's dwellings. from Gold City onwards the Dwellings aren't going to change....much.

probably. heh.

plus I'll be able to add a citation/reference everyhwere it needs to be for decorations/utilities/building stuff directing people to a single page for everything.

I've got a format I'm happy with for setting up per-stage Dwellings.

A nice little table format. Also, I've finally got it set up decently for more than 1 person per Dwelling. If you have any suggestions for tweaking ratios, lemme know.

Aaaaand done. Building requirements for Dirt-Iron Village unique houses are complete, and from Gold City onwards all regular Dwellings will be either Houses, Apartments, or Slums. Additional Rooms max out at 2-3 (+3 every 3 new Immigrants), Houses are better than Village Villas by a little bit, Apartments are roughly equivalent to base Village Villas/top of the line Hamlet Houses, and Slums are worse than anything but Dirt Hovels--Slums might get tweaked a bit.

And that's the hard bit of the Residential stuff done. Now all I have to do is put up lists for building by stage.

the horrors. :eek:

Last edited:
Reactions: The Mobius Archives

Maul_Junior

Jul 29, 2019
so quick update: After a conversation with warlock274 (dude apparently tried R2R at one point :D ) of the Minecraft Forum's Fantasy City Build Challenge, I have added links to both his challenge, and a spin-off, Monarch of Gold's Modded Fantasy City Build Challenge in the OP. They, in turn, will link back here. This is gearing up for when I repost a thread to the MC forums where I can have at least 3 posts total to expand into. May not need all that space when I post it, but the way I tend to be verbose I'm sure I will by the time I get a few more things done. :p

I'm also going to send a message to IAmChris27 (the guy who did the City Construction Challenge that this whole thing is based on) and get him to link to both threads once the MC thread is back up.

Also, Custom NPCs is now in a 1.8 Beta.

Last edited:
Reactions: TomeWyrm

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
Hey, maul! Post looks great! Just thought I would let you know that, um, you kinda forgot a "d" in the word "modded" when you made the title for the link to my challenge.

Thanks!

What are you referring to with needing 3 posts to expand into? Are you planning to have integration for M-FCB/FCB as well as CCC?

Also: I've found that Ancient Warfare 2 adds a lot more functional NPCs. However, it's still in 1.7 (as are most all the others). AW2 makes it so that you can craft villagers (using a special table), plop them down, give them a tool (after they've eaten food), and they'll do work that agrees with the usage of that tool (hoes make farmers, axes make loggers, picks make miners..). You can also give them orders if you want them to only do one thing or if you want them to do more than one thing (for example, a farmer might fish from time to time if he finds there isn't anything to farm at that moment. If you don't want him to fish, you can make a work order that tells him he's only allowed to farm). I think it's a really cool mod and I can see a lot of potential players finding it handy (because then they can do less grinding and more building and provides a reason to build all these things).

Last edited:

Maul_Junior

Jul 29, 2019
Hey, maul! Post looks great! Just thought I would let you know that, um, you kinda forgot a "d" in the word "modded" when you made the title for the link to my challenge.

Thanks!

What are you referring to with needing 3 posts to expand into? Are you planning to have integration for M-FCB/FCB as well as CCC?

Also: I've found that Ancient Warfare 2 adds a lot more functional NPCs. However, it's still in 1.7 (as are most all the others). AW2 makes it so that you can craft villagers (using a special table), plop them down, give them a tool (after they've eaten food), and they'll do work that agrees with the usage of that tool (hoes make farmers, axes make loggers, picks make miners..). You can also give them orders if you want them to only do one thing or if you want them to do more than one thing (for example, a farmer might fish from time to time if he finds there isn't anything to farm at that moment. If you don't want him to fish, you can make a work order that tells him he's only allowed to farm). I think it's a really cool mod and I can see a lot of potential players finding it handy (because then they can do less grinding and more building and provides a reason to build all these things).

First off, R2R folks say hi to Monarch--she's the one responsible for a Fantasy City Build spin-off, the Modded Fantasy City Build. Monarch, these are the guys. Vaaldeth posted a few videos of his to the FCB thread IIRC and regularly posts his here, The Mobius Archive is a LPer with 2 years under his belt for the R2R challenge, and Tome and Senseidragon are two of our regulars. We have other regulars but IIRC those 4 are the most common to see on any given page.

After a lot of fiddling around with Ancient Warfare 2, I've decided that although I like a LOT about it, I hate their gates with a passion. You can get stuck on them so easily it isn't funny. I know it's just a bounding/hitbox issue, but it is REALLY annoying.

I'm looking more into the scripting capabilities of CustomNPCs, to see what I can still manage to pull off. No new features from Noppes on that front, but still an amazing mod overall.

Completely unrelated to NPCs, I'm now checking out the Immersive Engineering mod to see where that might best fit in the challenge progression. At first guess, I'd say at or after the Redstone stage. From what I've seen on Forgecraft, it looks promising.

Sensei especially has put a lot of work into the Ancient Warfare 2 mod--it would probably be to both your benefits to put your heads together to see what you've figured out, and if you have any ideas to share.

As for 3 pages, I suppose I might not need 3 posts but I'm rather prolific in my writing, tending to go into detail, and I have LOTS of ideas about where I want to go even after the main challenge is finished (with more showing up every day it seems like). I realize there's something like a 100k character limit, but atm Tomewyrm and 3 or so others replied to the original thread before I did, so it's not really possible to expand past the first post (like Warlock did in the original FCB thread). Plus there's a bunch of people demanding to know why the old wiki is missing/bring back the wiki/etc that I'd rather not have new challengers have to read.

For example, once the main challenge is done, I'll have all kinds of other stuff to work on. the Agricultural Expansion (or add-on/side challenge if you will) to buff up Agricultural Production, maybe my Pirate King Expansion, which will be designed (like all the Criminal elements) to only work in an existing Capital/Kingdom/Empire. Basically the Pirates will get bigger and bigger bases, supporting bigger/more ships as the challenge goes on.

Hell, I'm going to provide a rule that if you want, the ruler of the Capital/Kingdom/Empire Challenge can be the Pirate King at the same time as ruling the entire Empire. :D

btw, while I'm still thinking about Pirates (which I posted here to counter yours--even though barely ANYTHING is done [on my side] as of yet), I was going to point you in the direction of a post I'd made where I talked about minecraft physics vs. IRL physics. Basically my point was that your pirate ships might have keels below the water line. Where, if they actually moved, you'd destroy water in a wake behind the ship. Personally I advise challengers to build a flat bottom (which may not be the best idea by standard physics, but these are Minecraftian physics), so if they ever develop an inchworm drive (or Archimedes) for the ship they could actually use it without completely destroying the ocean.

Just a thought :p

/me glances up at post.

Yup, like I said, I tend to be verbose. I want at LEAST 2 posts to expand into :p

Lethosos

Jul 29, 2019
*waves hi to Monarch*

Don't mind me, I'm just lurking while building my own version of a R2R modpack.

Sent from my Puzzle Box of Yogg-Saron using Tapatalk 2

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
I like the idea of having the ships partially submerged just because it seems more natural. If you want to use a mod that allows you to move structures, go ahead. You can then provide that in the reasoning for why you decided to not have it submerged. I won't mind. Most players, though, either don't like or can't handle mods that allow objects to move (I am not the only one with a good computer with so-so specs). Most people are quite content with stationary ships, anyway.

As far as Ancient Warfare, the mod has tons of config files. One of those configs controls the structures part of the mod. My computer HATES worldgen structures so I had to disable it (and also it was the only thing I could figure out so a future beta tester could try things out). It's not required you run the challenge with this mod, just suggested. It's suggested because I thought it would be cool to have interactive NPCs running around the world doing various tasks for you so you don't have to worry about doing them. And I thought it would just be fun to feel like you're not the only person there and to actually have good reasoning behind building so many buildings (NPCs in AW2 run back to their original spawn point at night. This is called home. If home isn't in a building, they can be killed).

All the mods I've provided names for in the spoiler on my thread are simply suggestions right now. I don't feel I have the right to tell people what mods they can and can't play with because each computer has it's own drawbacks. My computer doesn't even LIKE Thaumcraft, so I'm having to test the challenge with Ars Magica. I figure if everyone is at least following the challenge and meeting the goals and having fun, then I'm happy.

The Mobius Archives

Mar 31, 2013
www.youtube.com
Hello @Monarch_of_Gold and all you out there!

I put up a video yesterday for all of you. This time around I focused on getting started with some Immersive Engineering. Given what I've seen I think it'll add some nice detail to the build.

It also has working water wheel and windmill models which I'll be switching out my current water wheel designs for in the next episode.

Reactions: Senseidragon