[CHALLENGE] (v4.3-ish 6/7/18) Refugee to Regent Kingdom Building Challenge

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

What do you think of the Serf to Supreme Challenge?

• City Construction Challenge was better!

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • It's okay, but there's definitely room for improvement

Votes: 35 27.1%
  • Give me my Electrics sooner!

Votes: 14 10.9%
  • I enjoy the slow introduction of mods.

Votes: 43 33.3%
  • I wish Element Animation would hurry up with the next episode.

Votes: 24 18.6%
  • I love it!

Votes: 51 39.5%

• Total voters

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
Hello @Monarch_of_Gold! I'll have to brush up on your thread before I can contribute anything meaningful at the moment, I'm experimenting with my YouTube-Fu to see if I can finally start some videos of my own. That could work out well or be an epic fail. Only time will tell. :)

I agree that AW2 adds a ton of structures, and I personally find them mostly useless. The big draw for me is really just the NPCs themselves and the ability to get them to work. I've recently had a lot of fun adding Mutant Creatures (from thehippomaster21) and then putting them on each other's targeting lists. Seeing a mutant zombie attack a bandit camp can be pretty funny, especially when he does a hulk-smash type move or raises a few zombie minions to assist him.

By default, neither mod is aware of each other, so it was a little frustrating seeing them ignore each other. I'm glad that was something that could be fixed pretty easily in the configs.

I'm able to run Thaumcraft mostly without trouble, though it can be taxing at times. Between it and Ars Magica 2, my other players seem to prefer Thaumcraft, so that's what I went with. I think it is that they're more familiar with the mechanics of it, and they watched me blow myself to bits playing with AM2 recently that might have put them off of learning more about that mod. (Pro-tip: Don't feed components into the spell-creation altar in the wrong order just to see what happens. I don't know if it was intentional or not, but the crater it left behind was impressive. Maybe it was just a charged creeper I never noticed...)

Off I go to read more threads!

Reactions: The Mobius Archives

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
Regular? Me?! Perish the thought :p

@Monarch_of_Gold Some form of NPC mod is in the "Highly recommended" category for this kind of challenge, at least in my estimation and I'm betting in a lot of other people. Nothing is ever truly required, but being limited to vanilla for your citizens is too painful to not have Millienare, Minecraft Comes Alive, Custom NPCs, Ancient Warfare, or something in that vein. I guess you could use Statues... but that still seems off. Living settlements are so much cooler!

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
The issue I have with Millienare is that it adds so many warring factions that if you choose one you're almost immediately in someone else's black book. Minecraft Comes Alive is cute and silly, and I don't think there's a way to fully control all the NPCs and make them do what you want them to. On those notes, Custom NPCs just seems mostly decorative (though I don't know too much about it). I came upon Ancient Warfare on a whim when someone suggested a similar mod (Medieval Warfare) for one of the races. I'm now convinced they meant Ancient instead of Medieval because they mentioned the mod had a research book and everything too.

And I have to agree with you - living settlements are way cooler.

The Mobius Archives

Mar 31, 2013
www.youtube.com
Custom NPCs just seems mostly decorative
I use Custom NPCs decoratively to just have characters run around. You can setup the guards to attack mobs, traders to trade items, and bards to play music. If you are inclined you can access the AI algorithms in game to go deep into the mod. However I don't think there's a way to get anyone to mine for you... (yet).

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
So the long and short of it is that, to me personally as a challenge adapter/author, I find AW2 does it better.

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
For the "villagers as minions" thing, I think AW2 nails it pretty good. For customizability, atmosphere and a little bit of cool functionality, CustomNPCs is still my favorite. The fact that you can write individual scripts and dialogs for your NPCs and have them do different (possibly random) things at any given time, makes them more flexible to me.

The functionality brought by AW2 is top notch, though seems limited to vanilla interactions. You cannot have the farmers harvest (or even plant) non-vanilla crops, for example. Since I *do* use things like Pams (and used to be a fan of Growthcraft till the author bugged out) the farming in AW2 isn't as strong _for me_ as it could be. Likewise, the animal farming seemed to have a bit of a bug in it -- the station keeps resetting to keep 6 of each animal type in the pen, regardless of what I set it to. Not a huge deal, but it is enough to attract my attention.

The warehouse system I think is really clever, as are the couriers and the orders you can give the various NPCs.

I also discovered a huge, glaring dupe bug in the mod, though it isn't one a normal player would have access to.

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
I think it's set to vanilla because the modder probably doesn't know how to expand that into interactions with more than a few types of crops (especially given that most food mods have their own way of handling things like seeds). You also have to remember that the mod is still a WIP. Many of the functions we're missing could come later (or perhaps can be added by more experienced coders).

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
They're both in progress mods, just providing a bit of "other side of the fence" perspective.
If you're wanting decor and verismilitude? I prefer CustomNPCs.
If you want minions/workers? AW2.

Or you could do both, like I plan to :p

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
Hey guys! Thought I would come by to let you guys know that if anyone is interested in helping beta-test my challenge (I need player experience to help me write the modded portion of it), it would be highly appreciated. I've got enough people testing the challenge in vanilla. I need people willing to think creatively and incorporate mods into it. So far I have I think 2 testers doing that and the other 2 are doing vanilla.

Thanks!!

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
I've looked over your challenge and it seems pretty straightforward, I'd be happy to try and help. I tend to play with a wide range of pack types, from heavily modded (pushing close to 200 mods) to hardly anything at all (under 50 mods). Just let me know the guidelines you want me to work from and I'll try to assist. I would like to insert Noppes' "More Player Models" in any scenario I try though as it allows you to alter your form to more easily get into the role of whatever race you're trying to play (dwarf, hobbit, drow, caveman, triton, drider, or whatever comes to mind).

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
The gist of it is that there's going to be building and crafting aspects for all parts of the challenge (core, tech, magic, other). That means that in order to do various things, it would be best to build various structures related to accomplishing that task.

What i'm basically asking of new testers:
  • Play the challenge with mods because 2 vanilla testers is enough
  • Regularly update me on what you're doing, why you're doing it, and an idea of what your progression model looks like (minds change very quickly, so updates on changes to progression ideas are important)
You can play with whatever mods you like. The idea is that requirements and things will be vague enough to (hopefully) accommodate more than one mod for each part (if it mostly accommodates at least 3 different mods that fall into that category I will consider it successful). You can play with whatever extras (treecapitator, nei, rei's minimap, the guliver mod, shape shifters, shaders, whatever...) you want to if you think it will add to your experience.

As for any further information, you will hopefully know everything you need to from looking over the post. I would love it if people would spend time at least glancing over the various spoilers because they have (I think) a lot of good information that could be helpful to you as you progress. As things go on, I'm finding that I am changing things here and there from my own experiences and what I see from others' experiences (which is good) and I'm adding new tips and hints and guidelines and everything else to try to make this some of the best fun you've ever had (not THE MOST fun, but at least somewhere in that scale) building a city. It's just sad though because I even see on mod posts that people ask questions about things when it's addressed in the OP and it's as simple as just quickly gliding over the info or go through a lot of unnecessary trouble.

Hope to see your progress soon should you choose to accept this challenge!

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
The gist of it is that there's going to be building and crafting aspects for all parts of the challenge (core, tech, magic, other). That means that in order to do various things, it would be best to build various structures related to accomplishing that task.

What i'm basically asking of new testers:
  • Play the challenge with mods because 2 vanilla testers is enough
  • Regularly update me on what you're doing, why you're doing it, and an idea of what your progression model looks like (minds change very quickly, so updates on changes to progression ideas are important)
You can play with whatever mods you like. The idea is that requirements and things will be vague enough to (hopefully) accommodate more than one mod for each part (if it mostly accommodates at least 3 different mods that fall into that category I will consider it successful). You can play with whatever extras (treecapitator, nei, rei's minimap, the guliver mod, shape shifters, shaders, whatever...) you want to if you think it will add to your experience.

As for any further information, you will hopefully know everything you need to from looking over the post. I would love it if people would spend time at least glancing over the various spoilers because they have (I think) a lot of good information that could be helpful to you as you progress. As things go on, I'm finding that I am changing things here and there from my own experiences and what I see from others' experiences (which is good) and I'm adding new tips and hints and guidelines and everything else to try to make this some of the best fun you've ever had (not THE MOST fun, but at least somewhere in that scale) building a city. It's just sad though because I even see on mod posts that people ask questions about things when it's addressed in the OP and it's as simple as just quickly gliding over the info or go through a lot of unnecessary trouble.

Hope to see your progress soon should you choose to accept this challenge!

This sounds good! Let me generate a mod list I intend to use and I'll make a post on your thread.

– Senseidragon

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
I'm taking a look now. I play huge kitchen sink packs with lots of esoteric mods, so I should be able to see if things are odd for various parts of the challenge with certain mods. I'm also an inveterate Breaker of All Things Progression, so I'll note anything that seems to muck with the challenge in either direction (too easy or too hard).

I did notice though, you're missing RFTools as a dimension mod. Seeing as how it's Tech Mystcraft, that does seem to be a bit of an oversight :)

Where is this thread you speak of?
http://www.minecraftforum.net/forum...the-modded-fantasy-city-build-challenge-v-0-6

Reactions: ZephyrWindSpirit

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
Thank you both!

It's not on the list because I had never heard of it. I'll check it out and if it's something I like I'll add it to the list (which is mostly mods that I'm trying to keep in mind so I can write for them).