[CHALLENGE] (v4.3-ish 6/7/18) Refugee to Regent Kingdom Building Challenge

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

What do you think of the Serf to Supreme Challenge?

• City Construction Challenge was better!

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • It's okay, but there's definitely room for improvement

Votes: 35 27.1%
  • Give me my Electrics sooner!

Votes: 14 10.9%
  • I enjoy the slow introduction of mods.

Votes: 43 33.3%
  • I wish Element Animation would hurry up with the next episode.

Votes: 24 18.6%
  • I love it!

Votes: 51 39.5%

• Total voters

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
Also the BC pump tends to not remove water sources anymore, as both lag (block updates and water calculation) saving measure and because 99% of the time if a pump is in water, it's in an infinite pool... why break them on strange chunk load/unload bugs if you don't have to, ya know? The Ender Pump on the other hand is a great way to do that, but you have to mine out the stone it leaves behind. The OpenBlocks and Gany's... uh... Surface? Sponge are both my preferred methods of removing large quantities of water now. Even when the BC pump could drain oceans, you had to pump so much energy into it to have a decent rate of drainage, and often disposing of the water in liquid form was a bigger problem than removing it from the world as a block.

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
I was so excited when I heard the announcement. Boston was a good choice as well, and we might get a bit of love for snipers with the vantage points available from skyscrapers... instead of the entire game being rolling hills like 3 and New Vegas. Also I hope they treat buildings less like instances or Boston-proper is going to drive me up the wall.

The Mobius Archives

Mar 31, 2013
www.youtube.com
@The Mobius Archives, still watching your fallout 3 series, and you probably already know this now, but Fallout 4 is no longer just a hoax. :)
Off topic but yep :) And I'm so happy! Looking forward to what they do with the game. But for inspiration... Word has reached you that those who have forced you from your home have discovered something called the atomic nucleus and have weaponized it. For you and your citizens build a shelter to protect you from the fallout. Because war... war never changes.

I'm probably going to need a lot of iron and steel, and a vault door.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
I'm interested in Fallout 4 because of the fact that it takes place in The Commonwealth.
Plus the cities will be nice to see.
Oh, and because, if the reddit page is true, it'll be a very good story. Main Character already picked out for you for the main game, voiced and everything.
For details, ask my buddy I normally talk to about videya gaems that aren't Minecraft.
@ThatOneSlowking you beautiful bastard, we're talking Fallout 4, you there?

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
Already picked out and fully voiced? There goes the neighborhood. Part of the beauty of Fallout and The Elder Scrolls was the freedom to play the game how you wanted, as whomever you wanted. If I wanted fully voiced pre-baked character I'd be playing Bioshock or basically-anything-but-Fallout/TES.

You might be able to make a reasonably functional vault door with your mod set @The Mobius Archives which would be neat as heck. Bit of a build though.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Already picked out and fully voiced? There goes the neighborhood. Part of the beauty of Fallout and The Elder Scrolls was the freedom to play the game how you wanted, as whomever you wanted. If I wanted fully voiced pre-baked character I'd be playing Bioshock or basically-anything-but-Fallout/TES.

You might be able to make a reasonably functional vault door with your mod set @The Mobius Archives which would be neat as heck. Bit of a build though.
Way I hear it, you have the main story, and a sort of 'free roam' mode.
And honestly, Fallout 1 and 2 were quite like that as well. You'll still get to play it as you want, but now it's one dude's quest at first.
...Apparently.

Gelles

Oct 24, 2014
Hello all,

I'm doing my best to try out this challenge with my own lightly customized modpack, and I hope I'm following the wiki correctly lol.

So here's my dirt hut! Maybe. I don't know how to imgur...

http://imgur.com/a/5487d#0

And now that I'm looking at the wiki... I don't know what the requirements for the Wood Age are... Should I be referring to that download?

Last edited:

The Mobius Archives

Mar 31, 2013
www.youtube.com
Hello all,

I'm doing my best to try out this challenge with my own lightly customized modpack, and I hope I'm following the wiki correctly lol.

So here's my dirt hut! Maybe. I don't know how to imgur...

http://imgur.com/a/5487d#0

And now that I'm looking at the wiki... I don't know what the requirements for the Wood Age are... Should I be referring to that download?

Nice hut and welcome to the challenge!

As for the Wood Settlement definitely take a look at the downloads and/or the Classic Wiki. @Maul_Junior was revising the challenge at some point to focus on the main city/kingdom and excluding the outliers so you can take or leave the outliers if you wish.

I treat this challenge as something of a personally restricted technology challenge with guidelines for progression and the _Rule of Cool_ which let's you throw the guidelines out the window :)

Reactions: Senseidragon

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
Welcome to the challenge, @Gelles!

I personally couldn't get more than a thumbnail out of the imgur link, but what I could see looked fine. As @The Mobius Archives pointed out, @Maul_Junior is on-and-off working on a revision of the challenge to focus more on the main challenge and leave the outliers and extra stuff as optional things to do. To me, the Dirt Hovel stage pretty much represents your first day or two in the game: finding the equivalent of a bare bones hidey-hole to shelter you from the elements with nothing to work with but your hands. Once you have a modest amount of basic resources (wood, apples, mushrooms, melons, veggies raided from native villages) and you've wandered around and found a spot suitable to really settle in for the building aspect of the challenge, you're ready for the wood settlement stage.

Always plan out for more space than you think you'll need. As you progress in the challenge, you'll find things can get pretty cramped very quickly if you aren't careful and you may end up having to demolish and relocate several buildings.

Reactions: The Mobius Archives

The Mobius Archives

Mar 31, 2013
www.youtube.com
Always plan out for more space than you think you'll need. As you progress in the challenge, you'll find things can get pretty cramped very quickly if you aren't careful and you may end up having to demolish and relocate several buildings.

Yeah, this. I didn't plan for enough space for my estate and I'm finding it quite cramped. Depending on the mods you have if you want to have an arboretum with all the trees you'll need a lot of space.

I personally recommend a 64 block radius from your neighbors to give yourself enough room to grow. Also 64 blocks from an ocean. I did neither unfortunately.

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019

WAY more space than you'll think you need. Your kingdom's capital will be sprawling over hundreds of blocks by the end of this, and even in Wood/Iron it will be pretty darned massive. Buildings (actually any build in general) in MC tend to get about 100% to 200% bigger than you think they'll need to be I've noticed. Limitations of the blockiness and strange perspective tricks. My mouse IRL would barely be a hut in MC.

VaalDeth

Jul 29, 2019
Still, I understand why you took the shortcut. Just wanted to point out a missed opportunity for some out-of-the-box creative thinking, which you're pretty good at.

Thanks Sensei, I understand what you mean and I almost went through with the manual work. It was really just that 'ol time thing that got me as I wanted to get the episode out... Its already taking me two weeks per episode!

If only you didn't have to work full time. =)

The Mobius Archives

Mar 31, 2013
www.youtube.com
Thanks Sensei, I understand what you mean and I almost went through with the manual work. It was really just that 'ol time thing that got me as I wanted to get the episode out... Its already taking me two weeks per episode!

If only you didn't have to work full time. =)

Agreed, it's hard to do all the work and keep recording on a consistent basis and hold down a day job. I'm lucky to have a short commute so I can record early in the morning if I've planned ahead, prepped ahead, and everything falls into place.

Werewolf Joint GM

Jul 29, 2019
WAY more space than you'll think you need. Your kingdom's capital will be sprawling over hundreds of blocks by the end of this, and even in Wood/Iron it will be pretty darned massive. Buildings (actually any build in general) in MC tend to get about 100% to 200% bigger than you think they'll need to be I've noticed. Limitations of the blockiness and strange perspective tricks.
Even vanilla MC can suffer from this sometimes. Like "Oh, I'll just add a balcony to this tower." Three hours pass. "Man, that's a swell balcony. I should build another tower there."

Gelles

Oct 24, 2014
First hiccup: one of my mods crashes when I try to harvest green beans (Plant Mega Pack), so I've had to remove that for the time being. My food variety... ;_;

In the meantime, work commences on clearing land for a tree farm and figuring out how I'm going to get a large wheat farm when I don't have buckets to move water (I have GardenStuff... I wonder if I can make a compost bin and use garden soil... Edit: I totally CAN.). The valley I've settled miraculously has every single animal, and when I was corralling sheep I noticed a village on the other side of a hill! Yay, food variety!

And so begins the next week of going through scores of wooden axes and shovels...

Last edited:

Gelles

Oct 24, 2014
I did some testing for the PMP dev and he fixed the bug, so I've rolled back to an earlier save (yay Aroma Backup!).

I also spent way too much time trying to figure out how to light up my buildings without a furnace to make charcoal. I started doing a lot of villager trading for glowstone blocks, before I realized I have wood picks on me and can just dig up surface coal.

It's the little things you forget.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
I did some testing for the PMP dev and he fixed the bug, so I've rolled back to an earlier save (yay Aroma Backup!).

I also spent way too much time trying to figure out how to light up my buildings without a furnace to make charcoal. I started doing a lot of villager trading for glowstone blocks, before I realized I have wood picks on me and can just dig up surface coal.

It's the little things you forget.

Don't forget you can sometimes use rubber to make torches. Makes the tree farm that much more important.