[CHALLENGE] (v4.3-ish 6/7/18) Refugee to Regent Kingdom Building Challenge

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

What do you think of the Serf to Supreme Challenge?

• City Construction Challenge was better!

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • It's okay, but there's definitely room for improvement

Votes: 35 27.1%
  • Give me my Electrics sooner!

Votes: 14 10.9%
  • I enjoy the slow introduction of mods.

Votes: 43 33.3%
  • I wish Element Animation would hurry up with the next episode.

Votes: 24 18.6%
  • I love it!

Votes: 51 39.5%

• Total voters

Krhymez

Jul 29, 2019
i would love a pack that used custom npc mod. then everything must be aquired from trading.
Like an economy based pack

Capt Gates

Jul 29, 2019
That is an interesting idea but I'm thinking more of a pack for city building using Refugee to Regent as a basis for the progression.

It would lock progression with Progression, an example would be needed 20 wheat to unlock wooden picks, axes, and shovels in the Dirt Hovel stage. Then would use HQM to recieve immigrants from AW2, which wouldn't be as strict. More of when you want a new immigrant you need x amount of food and say if you want your new worker to be a lumberjack you'll need a wooden axe and 10 logs. You'll then receive the worker and a tree farm, since the worker normally needs a gold ingot and the tree farm from AW2 needs an iron axe. This way you can keep in line with the progression of Refugee to Regent without having to spawn in items or jumping ahead in stages tomine the materials you need.

Maul_Junior

Jul 29, 2019
Villager Bazaar Sub-Challenge:

Build a bazaar/marketplace that has one of every type of Villager available to you (includes mod VIllagers, if applicable). Villagers must be safe from zombies. More than one Villager of a type is allowed and encouraged. In this way, you will always have at least some Villagers always in one spot and easy to find, but if the Village is wiped out by Zombies, you will always have a protected breeding stock.

Cross-posted from the Refugee to Regent Challenge, and both Fantasy City Build threads.

.......I'm having way too much fun with Villagers in my single player world.

.....even if the main thing I'm doing is building Coarse Dirt/Gravel roads between my Estate and the 2 villages I've discovered.

Psychicash

Jul 29, 2019
I started reading your post and got really excited. A challenge. Something more than just rush for the most awesomest tech gadget in mod #11. Sometimes I have to settle for medium cool tool in mod #14 but hey...

Anyways, I looked at your post and started reading through it and the links kept pointing me to the old wiki which is closed. So I took a look at the city building challenge. The guidelines were open and simple. I like simple. I decided to undertake it and I am currently. (progress located here http://imgur.com/a/0aojH - shameless plug)

After going only a little bit through it and comparing it to what I'm seeing in your challenge, there's a few things I don't think I would feel comfortable with.

First I do want to say nice job with the wiki. You have put in a lot of really amazing work. I really like a lot of the detail in your lore and the details of your challenge.

Your challenge is broken up far more than the city building challenge. Where as he says "Build a community building" you say "build this specific building (normally a house) up to these specific specifications" Where the city challenge says food items (agreed upon to be something other than bread) you specify "carrots" or "potatoes".

Then there's a point assessment. You assign a point value to stylish / "aesthetic" requirements. All of this is very interesting and next cycle I will probably tackle your challenge. It will be easier now that I have the right wiki link.

My hesitation, cause I did say there was something I wasn't comfortable with, is the lack of focus on building.

There's a hoopla of lore. However, there's not as I can see (probably missing it) a clear and concise advancement through each stage. You have a general title for each stage but he dirt stage seems the only one really fleshed out. Am I missing it? is there a general outline with the guidelines and requirements for each stage to go through? I found that very helpful with the city challenge to help keep me focused and understanding the goals and forbidden tech and how each is unlocked and help each other.

I do really like all the lore though and the organization of city politics and vocational dynamics I'm sure adds a lot of flavor.

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
You're seeing the result of innumerable revisions and getting side-tracked with interesting projects in the lack of clear advancement in later stages. The challenge used to be simpler and more clearly defined, then Maul got some neat ideas, and then got more neat ideas... and as basically any creator will tell you, trying to follow all your neat ideas is a great way to complete none of them :p

There are a few people that worked to streamline R2R for various server communities... which I can't remember where to find the links for just now (They're somewhere in the thread... which isn't much help seeing as how we're at nearly 60 pages, and some of us make really REALLY wordy posts). Honestly though, until you hit Gold City or so, it was fairly straightforward. Not quite as clear cut as @Monarch_of_Gold 's Moded Fantasy City Build Challenge, but not bad if you're used to navigating around wikis and such. At which point I personally got completely lost and couldn't figure out where/how to progress... but if I actually ever got my darn modpack into a stable form maybe I'd get there and through extrapolation be able to extend the challenge. R2R takes a pretty impressively long time to undertake, as evinced by the VERY long-running series of @The Mobius Archives and @VaalDeth; so I figure either Maul will flesh it out, or I'll wing it :)

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
Guys, if you keep complementing me my head will just be so huge I won't even be able to sit up straight. q - q

I'm a master at organization and I honestly don't like seeing forum posts that are just large walls of text that aren't divided visually or anything (sorry). I want people that are interested in my challenge to be able to come and get to the information they want to see easily without having to scroll half a mile over the stuff they don't want to read. It sort of works like an interactive table of contents, I guess. It also helps that the minecraft forums don't have a length limit that I'm aware of (unlike the FTB forums). I tried to copy the forum post over here so that this part of the Minecraft community could see it too and FTB said it was too long, so.

I have lots of good ideas too that haven't been fully implemented yet but, as a person that's very good at organizing, it shouldn't be that difficult to implement them when I finally get to that point (because they'll either be in their own spoilers or they'll replace old information).

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
Guys, if you keep complementing me my head will just be so huge I won't even be able to sit up straight. q - q

I'm a master at organization and I honestly don't like seeing forum posts that are just large walls of text that aren't divided visually or anything (sorry). I want people that are interested in my challenge to be able to come and get to the information they want to see easily without having to scroll half a mile over the stuff they don't want to read. It sort of works like an interactive table of contents, I guess. It also helps that the minecraft forums don't have a length limit that I'm aware of (unlike the FTB forums). I tried to copy the forum post over here so that this part of the Minecraft community could see it too and FTB said it was too long, so.

I have lots of good ideas too that haven't been fully implemented yet but, as a person that's very good at organizing, it shouldn't be that difficult to implement them when I finally get to that point (because they'll either be in their own spoilers or they'll replace old information).
You mean there are people who DON'T use spoilers?
Ugh... Well, I'm glad that we think alike, at least. :D
Organization is paramount; without organizing, nobody would ever be able to find information. That said, there are STILL people who ignore the well-organized databases of information presented to them and just ask stupid questions like "how do I start?" even when there is clearly a "getting started" spoiler right at the top in giant red letters. >.<
I remember when I was little, I had no clue why everyone numbered everything. I just didn't see the point. Now that I realize just how much information there is out there, I am infinitely grateful that I am able to count and label things. :p

Reactions: Psychicash

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
It's not that people don't use spoilers. They do, it's just like, for example, in the CCC OP, there is still a LOT of text to scroll over before you can get around to the important stuff. While there is some sense of organization, it doesn't feel organized enough for me. I've always had small rooms and spaces to deal with so I've come to enjoy having most of my belongings and items stored away out of sight rather than out in plain view. This reflects in the way I organize my posts even on the FCB forum thread. If I'm posting an update about what I've done concerning the challenge, the bulk of the post will be in a spoiler with a little bit of text above and below offering a softer transition.

There are people like that, which is why I try to make sure that people new to my challenge try to glance over the majority of the information before asking questions so that I can at least hope they'll know what they're doing.

Numbering serves two purposes. It can help direct you in a direction (like what to do first) or it can be used to organize information regarding people or objects (in American classrooms children are often numbered so that when the teacher is first starting the school year they'll have an easier time keeping things like textbooks, papers, and other materials organized until they learn their students' names). In the challenge-writing world, most challenge writers use numbers to tell you where to go from what point (for example, in my challenge you start at stage 1 in the core and keep going) and, in my challenge, when to stop. As for organizing arbitrary information, you can see numbering used in Minecraft to label blocks, biomes, and sub-types of those things which seems to help make coding easier.

Back to the spoiler thing: I often find it irritating when mod authors don't have the information organized in spoilers because then I have to scroll around for a bit to find what I need to know before installing the mod. And those posts can be HUGE.

Psychicash

Jul 29, 2019
Monarch, I agree with you which is why I was asking. I found the requirements for moving on from dirt to wood. I don't quite understand what I was reading to move from wood and after that I can't find it. Was I missing it or is it still in development

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
I prefer not having spoilers, and instead using ctrl+f

Then again I prefer using a properly formatted wiki to a forum post for mod information.

Wonder if there's an easy way to expand all spoilers on a page....

Psychicash

Jul 29, 2019
So.. I'm trying to understand. You are saying you don't like the city construction challenge because it uses spoilers to organize the information. You would rather have a wiki even if, as I understand it, the challenge laid out is only a quarter finished?

I'm not trying to be snooty, I'm just trying to understand. Because so far.. I still can't find the information and the answers I've gotten are cryptic at best...

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
You don't understand because you found yourself in the middle of a discussion. On challenge threads, this happens a lot among the regulars.

If I remember correctly your question was where to progress to from the Wood stage, right? The progression order for the CCC goes dirt -> wood -> stone -> iron -> gold -> diamond, I think.

So your answer is Stone. I don't know how to find the information regarding the Stone age, but it's on the Wiki somewhere.

Reactions: Type1Ninja

Capt Gates

Jul 29, 2019
I've started work on the mod pack, still waiting to hear back from @Maul_Junior to make sure it's alright before I push out where to find it. But have a base mod list and configs tweaked a tad and am working on the quest line and progression right now.

Edit: Should have looked at my pms before posting, @Maul_Junior didn't have an issue so if anyone wants to look at the initial mod list and some config tweaks I have it up on Github. Just starting to work on the quets now.

I'm working on the HQM quests and am looking for some input. The first quest is to build a shelter, being its the Dirt Hovel stage the requirements are detecting 54 dirt and 2 (should be) ore dictionary logs which should be equal to a 5x5x3 house with a log support in the middle (due to enviromine) with a reward so far of a wooden hoe and tinkers construct all wood sword. So do you think I should make it that structured for all the quests or make quests where they don't really have requirements or say need to have x amount of food and you would get a worker from AW2 and a farm of some type and leave it up to the player to decide how to house them?

Last edited:

The Mobius Archives

Mar 31, 2013
www.youtube.com
Hello everyone! Today I'm adding to my magical mod collection and building a new room in the house for some basic Blood Magic. I also happen to discover a few Chromaticraft items looking for new lights.

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
So.. I'm trying to understand. You are saying you don't like the city construction challenge because it uses spoilers to organize the information. You would rather have a wiki even if, as I understand it, the challenge laid out is only a quarter finished?
No, I prefer having information to having no information. I just happen to enjoy using modern wikis as documentation sources. I prefer a decent spoiler'd traditional forum post to the abomination that is the "book in HTML" crap that a lot of software documentation in Linux gets shafted with. It breaks reading flow, it makes it hard to search, it breaks navigation... it's just BLECH for everything except load times.

But unless the format is actively detrimental ("book in HTML" for example) I don't count "not using my favorite method" as a negative. MFCBC is fine as-is. It's under active construction and using a presentation method I don't find distasteful. Which is more of a recommendation/praise than it sounds like :p

As for advancing from Wood to Stone in Refugee to Regent? http://refugee-to-regent.wikia.com/wiki/Wooden_Settlement#Population_Requirements

Reactions: Psychicash

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
M-FCB, beyond being under construction, is also being written by a person with no way of acquiring a wiki page or knowledge to code it. It probably wouldn't be that hard to learn, but that doesn't change the fact that it's far outside of my pocket at the moment.

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
Wikia wikis are free :p

That having been said, do what YOU want to do. It's like offering me a strawberry or vanilla ice cream cone. I prefer one of them, but hey, it's an ice cream cone and I like both flavors just fine :)

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
Besides, I would rather at least have the Core finished before moving on to the Mod side-quests and doing the Wiki.

It's turned more into something resembling an adventure game where you have the main quest but then you can choose various side-quests to complete that make your adventure a little more unique. And I like that.

I think now instead of making every stage have it's own modded requirements the Mod portion of the challenge will have a few side-objectives correlating with Core stages (the numbers will line up. If you don't see a number for a Mod part listed, there's nothing to do in that stage that requires mods). Obviously, this means that I will need a heavy flow of community input to do this because I don't know everything there is to know about the mods this challenge concerns and I certainly don't know enough to write requirements with the amount of ambiguity this thing requires. I may pull in some people to help and be writers, but I will carefully look over everything and test things before adding them.

Capt Gates

Jul 29, 2019
So I have some initial quests completed for the mod pack and its up on curse now under the name Road to Rule. Any feedback and ideas would be greatly appreciated.

For whatever reason I made my curse name hwrdhick instead of my go to CaptGates, currently trying to get that switched now, so yea if you were wondering why its under a different name.

Edit: I was stupid and forgot Forge in the modlist. I'll update again when everything is up and working correctly.

Last edited: