Mod Feedback [By Request] RotaryCraft Suggestions

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

dothrom

Jul 29, 2019
Not sure if this would be on your end or other mod(s) end. But being able to put lubricant in cans (and those in gearboxes) would be neat.
It'd be nice for when building gear setups, and being able to just drop a can in those diamond gearboxes that just need the 1 can.

edit: i know you wouldn't get the empty can back. that's the point for me, i hate having empty stuff getting dumped in my inventory. and filled buckets don't stack :(

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Not sure if this would be on your end or other mod(s) end. But being able to put lubricant in cans (and those in gearboxes) would be neat.
It'd be nice for when building gear setups, and being able to just drop a can in those diamond gearboxes that just need the 1 can.

edit: i know you wouldn't get the empty can back. that's the point for me, i hate having empty stuff getting dumped in my inventory. and filled buckets don't stack :(
I question the usefulness of this, but as long as its implementation is simple, I am willing to do it. I have no idea how.

dothrom

Jul 29, 2019
I question the usefulness of this, but as long as its implementation is simple, I am willing to do it. I have no idea how.
:) i wouldn't think it'd be that hard. but honestly i don't know either. don't know how to program, let alone mod (despite how i keep telling myself to learn it).

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Can I suggest a better-than-steel transmission option that isn't diamond or bedrock?

Ironically this suggestion isn't cost-motivated; I wouldn't mind if it was expensive in its own right. No, I'm just someone who likes the challenge of designing my power system to the bottom of its depth, and in Rotarycraft, that includes lubricant supply. Unfortunately, diamond and bedrock gears don't use lubricant. And also unfortunately, steel cannot handle any more than 32krad/s, which is small even by midgame standards. For example, I'm just now implementing my extractor, and I have a 262kW buildcraft fuel engine hooked up. I could easily use higher gear ratios to make stages 2 and 3 run faster, but I cannot do so without using diamond gears. And if I did use them, then I'd no longer need a lubricant supply to anything but the engine. And where's the fun in that :p

A config option of "diamond gearboxes consume lubricant" would be acceptable. A new tier of parts would be, too. Tungsten steel perhaps? I know you're going off of realworld values for regular steel, unsure what material would have the properties required. Maybe a little handwaving like diamond and bedrock get could be acceptable.

Another suggestion: can the angular transducer please please please not delete the chat backlog on each and every use? I'm playing 100% multiplayer, and this frustrates me to no end. :s

And while I'm on the angular transducer: could it show the current speed setting of an ECU? Right now the only way to figure it out is to change it with the screwdriver, which isn't always desirable.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Can I suggest a better-than-steel transmission option that isn't diamond or bedrock?

Ironically this suggestion isn't cost-motivated; I wouldn't mind if it was expensive in its own right. No, I'm just someone who likes the challenge of designing my power system to the bottom of its depth, and in Rotarycraft, that includes lubricant supply. Unfortunately, diamond and bedrock gears don't use lubricant. And also unfortunately, steel cannot handle any more than 32krad/s, which is small even by midgame standards. For example, I'm just now implementing my extractor, and I have a 262kW buildcraft fuel engine hooked up. I could easily use higher gear ratios to make stages 2 and 3 run faster, but I cannot do so without using diamond gears. And if I did use them, then I'd no longer need a lubricant supply to anything but the engine. And where's the fun in that :p

A config option of "diamond gearboxes consume lubricant" would be acceptable. A new tier of parts would be, too. Tungsten steel perhaps? I know you're going off of realworld values for regular steel, unsure what material would have the properties required. Maybe a little handwaving like diamond and bedrock get could be acceptable.

Another suggestion: can the angular transducer please please please not delete the chat backlog on each and every use? I'm playing 100% multiplayer, and this frustrates me to no end. :s

And while I'm on the angular transducer: could it show the current speed setting of an ECU? Right now the only way to figure it out is to change it with the screwdriver, which isn't always desirable.

I in particular like the transducer/ECU idea. I agree, determining the setting by changing it is sketchy.

Another transmission option is also a cool idea, if for no other reason than I'd love to have something to spend my bajillions of extractor'd resources on.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
IIRC this is a config option.

Edit:
B:"Tools Clear Chat"=true

Last edited:

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
The extractor and the fractionation unit and possibly some other machines don't seem to work properly with comparators (vanilla or ProjectRed): When a fractionation unit runs out of one ingredient the comparator should give a redstone signal, but it doesn't until I trigger a block update on the comparator. The opposite situation on the extractor: The comparator keeps sending a redstone signal even though I put an ore into the extractor, until the comparator recieves a block update.
I think the machnies need to send a block update when their comparator output changes.
On the other hand it works fine with the grinder. I'm just trying to conserve fuel and lubricant :D

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
The extractor and the fractionation unit and possibly some other machines don't seem to work properly with comparators (vanilla or ProjectRed): When a fractionation unit runs out of one ingredient the comparator should give a redstone signal, but it doesn't until I trigger a block update on the comparator. The opposite situation on the extractor: The comparator keeps sending a redstone signal even though I put an ore into the extractor, until the comparator recieves a block update.
I think the machnies need to send a block update when their comparator output changes.
On the other hand it works fine with the grinder. I'm just trying to conserve fuel and lubricant :D
If memory serves, RotaryCraft has a reasonable modicum of CC support. If ya can't do it with vanilla/PR, maybe see if CC has what ya need.

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
Can somebody in a short reply describe any valid reason to use the AC engine and going through the trouble of magnetizing shaft cores?

Frankly given the gas engines power, I can't see why I would bother. I would rather just go straight to an industrial coil.

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
Can somebody in a short reply describe any valid reason to use the AC engine and going through the trouble of magnetizing shaft cores?

Frankly given the gas engines power, I can't see why I would bother. I would rather just go straight to an industrial coil.
free power which has more torque than DC and doesn't cost fuel

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
I found a strange bug where sometimes a shaft will rotate itself magically from a distance when you have a screwdriver in your hand. I saw it happen randomly a few times but I haven't found a way to reliably reproduce it.
It sometimes happens when I walk up to the shaft from outside its render distance: I saw the red and green boxes appear and found that the shaft was rotated incorrectly. Sometimes the boxes appear without the shaft rotating. It may have something to do with it being next to a chunk boundary.

madnewmy

Jul 29, 2019
I found a strange bug where sometimes a shaft will rotate itself magically from a distance when you have a screwdriver in your hand. I saw it happen randomly a few times but I haven't found a way to reliably reproduce it.
It sometimes happens when I walk up to the shaft from outside its render distance: I saw the red and green boxes appear and found that the shaft was rotated incorrectly. Sometimes the boxes appear without the shaft rotating. It may have something to do with it being next to a chunk boundary.
That often happens because lag ;)

I had the same problem when i first hooked up my turbine, you can correct it in the configs