Mod Feedback [By Request] RotaryCraft Suggestions

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Only one question. How do you keep the shaft cores magnetized? With a redstone clock set to a .25 second pulse(the fastest a PR timer goes) they seemed to charge slower than they ran out. I had 8 steam engines geared to feed a single magnetizing unit and even with them nonstop running and my AC engines only for on demand use, I regularly had no shaft cores to run the engine. It honestly felt easier to build a canola and ethanol setup than to try and keep shaft cores magnetized. I never understood the point of them losing their charge. Real electric engines don't.

I just remove the shaft core and recharge it. It's slow as hell, but it still gets recharged.

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
I used steam engines to charge the shaft cores, so that wouldn't work, and never really trusted myself to use coils due to their tendency to go "boom" when I forget to activate safety measures.

A comparator and a redstone loop back to the coil 12 long. Tada.

Reactions: Padfoote

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
Comparator clocks are very VERY powerful when you learn how to use them. They're what Etho used in his potion lab to send pulses to the droppers he was using to push items upwards in his tile-able potion "snake" in pure-vanilla.

Comparators are REALLY nice blocks that I wish more mods took advantage of. They enable Chest Minecart unloading stations, Hopper Timers, and all sorts of frankly amazing vanilla contraptions.

Do note that the 12 long loop is important. The magnetizer (or was that the AC engine?) needs the Analog Redstone Power to hit 0 to count as "off".

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Heeeeeeey, @Reika, I have a question for ya! I'm sitting here setting up a dev environment for a mod I was planning/developing a while back called the Keep of Metal and Gold mod. Basically, it brings the steampunk awesomeness of Thief to Minecraft for everything from item transport to power generation to farming and so on. I was wonnnnndering if, perhaps, you'd be cool with it potentially being an addon for RotaryCraft? The basic ideas would work very well (ie: converting steam pressure to shaft power) with one another, and I don't have to bother actually making my own power system.

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
Do note that the 12 long loop is important. The magnetizer (or was that the AC engine?) needs the Analog Redstone Power to hit 0 to count as "off".

The 12 loop is to turn on output mode on the industrial coil before it explodes. The comparator will output 15 when the coil reaches 100%, which if it takes any more energy it will blow. So you want to feedback to the coil and stop it at signal strengths less than 15. 12 or 13 gives you a good margin for safety. No clutch required, on output mode the coil will no longer take input power.

mcalpha

Jul 29, 2019
Is there anything that can output a constant redstone signal strength without long redstone lines? Project Red was my first guess but I couldn't find something.
MFR PRC can do it, but is a bit overkill for such a simple application.

dothrom

Jul 29, 2019
Not sure, but you could probably do it with a CC computer.
I'd probably just use a PRC. The nice part of the PRC though is you could set it up to monitor several coils at once. Though I would rather have it turn a clutch off than turn the coil on.

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
Is there anything that can output a constant redstone signal strength without long redstone lines? Project Red was my first guess but I couldn't find something.
MFR PRC can do it, but is a bit overkill for such a simple application.

Reika's Expanded Redstone mod has the Signal Driver which outputs a configurable redstone signal. The top of the unit is in binary, and the output is represented by the value of the 4 lights on top. Alternatively you can set a ComputerCraft computer to output a specific signal.

For the coil I normally use a comparator on subtract, a signal driver on 13 as the side input on the comparator, with the comparator output connected to a clutch. I'm using redstone alloy wire so there's no signal drop over the short distance to the clutch. I prefer to remove the input power to the coil via clutch rather than put the coil in output mode.

Reactions: mcalpha and Pyure

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Reika's Expanded Redstone mod has the Signal Driver which outputs a configurable redstone signal. The top of the unit is in binary, and the output is represented by the value of the 4 lights on top. Alternatively you can set a ComputerCraft computer to output a specific signal.

For the coil I normally use a comparator on subtract, a signal driver on 13 as the side input on the comparator, with the comparator output connected to a clutch. I'm using redstone alloy wire so there's no signal drop over the short distance to the clutch. I prefer to remove the input power to the coil via clutch rather than put the coil in output mode.
+1, same here.

I also build a giant blast-resistant cube around the whole thing because I don't trust my setups :p

dothrom

Jul 29, 2019
+1, same here.

I also build a giant blast-resistant cube around the whole thing because I don't trust my setups :p

I trust my setups. I just don't trust the gremlins that keep messing with my machines!
I swear it's the gremlins and not my insane deathtrap useful construct!

Reactions: Pyure

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
+1, same here.

My current one uses 4 wind turbines, and I have a platform about halfway up to them for charging, so if it blows it misses my base on the ground and the turbines above.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I did blow one recently because I used redstone instead of redalloy wire and neglected to compensate for the signal loss...

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
My current one uses 4 wind turbines, and I have a platform about halfway up to them for charging, so if it blows it misses my base on the ground and the turbines above.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I did blow one recently because I used redstone instead of redalloy wire and neglected to compensate for the signal loss...

Expensive error if your charging area had been near your base where I often keep mine :p

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Heeeeeeey, @Reika, I have a question for ya! I'm sitting here setting up a dev environment for a mod I was planning/developing a while back called the Keep of Metal and Gold mod. Basically, it brings the steampunk awesomeness of Thief to Minecraft for everything from item transport to power generation to farming and so on. I was wonnnnndering if, perhaps, you'd be cool with it potentially being an addon for RotaryCraft? The basic ideas would work very well (ie: converting steam pressure to shaft power) with one another, and I don't have to bother actually making my own power system.
This is fine and a very appealing idea with one caveat:
Any interaction with RC has to respect the tiering, so things like power generation and/or creation of certain items has to be behind certain gates in the techtree. So, for example, an engine that generates 131kW yet being as easy to build as the steam engine is a problem. Same for something that could, for example, produce ethanol and is not gated behind early power and heat control.

I can help you with setting up interactions with the RC power system; it is very, very simple, involving one interface for receiving power and one (optional) one for getting red/green I/O boxes.

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
This is fine and a very appealing idea with one caveat:
Any interaction with RC has to respect the tiering, so things like power generation and/or creation of certain items has to be behind certain gates in the techtree. So, for example, an engine that generates 131kW yet being as easy to build as the steam engine is a problem. Same for something that could, for example, produce ethanol and is not gated behind early power and heat control.

I can help you with setting up interactions with the RC power system; it is very, very simple, involving one interface for receiving power and one (optional) one for getting red/green I/O boxes.

Btw I saw on Reddit that you released your first release for 1.7.10! Congrats and thank you for your hard work!

dothrom

Jul 29, 2019
First official play-stable release. The first alpha was three weeks ago.

o_O how did I miss this! Whelp, that was my last mod I was waiting for, time to start putting modpack together.
(and fixing my terribad performance with 1.7.10)