Mod Feedback [By Request] RotaryCraft Suggestions

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

madnewmy

Jul 29, 2019
You mentioned changing something in the configs. I have no idea what you're talking about.
the config for tick update or tick delay or somthing like that?

Weren't you the one telling me you need to change it from 1 to 20?

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
free power which has more torque than DC and doesn't cost fuel

It's not free power. You have to charge the shaft core. Sure you can do it off of renewable power, but I think I'd rather just make ethanol.

I'm playing through at the moment and back at the more basic engines, and took another look at them. I can't really imagine why I would use it instead of an industrial coil or a fueled engine. That's why I asked. The coil in particular is a perfect battery with tunable output. Why would I use AC?

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Why just one? If you're already going that route, you might as well have multiple. Particularly if you can magnetize multiple shafts simultaneously, which I've heard (but haven't tried)

Never got around to it, but it can definitely be expanded upon fairly easily.

Reactions: Pyure

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
I use one to power my extractor. :p

I get that they are a power source. Why would I use one instead of an industrial coil? They seem to charge very very slowly.

I think the only thing I can come up with is that an indy coil can explode if overcharged. It also may cost a bit more steel.

I'm not even sure I get as much power out of the AC as is put into charging the coil.

Overall I grok so many of the engines up to turbines and fission, and I'm asking why should I build AC as an engine tier? Currently I'm using DC, wind, and now gas. I skipped steam because finite water makes supplying them painful, but it's good to know they don't explode when they run out of water. Ethanol is being produced manually and powers gas engines nicely, and I use renewables to charge indy coils for larger jobs. I am avoiding hydros because they are too easy, so I took another look at AC and just am blank as to why I would use one.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I get that they are a power source. Why would I use one instead of an industrial coil? They seem to charge very very slowly.

I think the only thing I can come up with is that an indy coil can explode if overcharged. It also may cost a bit more steel.

I'm not even sure I get as much power out of the AC as is put into charging the coil.

Overall I grok so many of the engines up to turbines and fission, and I'm asking why should I build AC as an engine tier? Currently I'm using DC, wind, and now gas. I skipped steam because finite water makes supplying them painful, but it's good to know they don't explode when they run out of water. Ethanol is being produced manually and powers gas engines nicely, and I use renewables to charge indy coils for larger jobs. I am avoiding hydros because they are too easy, so I took another look at AC and just am blank as to why I would use one.
+1 for hydro avoidance.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
If hydros are good for one thing (outside being an interesting way to power AE), its for running fertilizers. A single hydrokinetic engine can boost a fertilizer's operational range to 28 meters; four of them daisy-chained will net you a full 32 meters, which I believe is its default maximum range. That's a pretty good yield for such a relatively small investment. Since you can automate lube rather easily, it'd be a really good way to improve the efficiency of your farms once you get a steady supply of bonemeal.

Reactions: Demosthenex

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
If hydros are good for one thing (outside being an interesting way to power AE), its for running fertilizers. A single hydrokinetic engine can boost a fertilizer's operational range to 28 meters; four of them daisy-chained will net you a full 32 meters, which I believe is its default maximum range. That's a pretty good yield for such a relatively small investment. Since you can automate lube rather easily, it'd be a really good way to improve the efficiency of your farms once you get a steady supply of bonemeal.

I appreciate your enthusiasm, and then I'll point out that I think I was leading the charge to try and get Reika to heavily nerf the hydrokinetic engine. ;]

Also for farms, you'd be amazed how well a DC engine coupled to an industrial coil with a redstone clock and a fan will do. Consider using intermittent power instead of always on. Reika's Expanded Redstone mod's redstone clock makes it easy to trip an industrial coil every 15 minutes and accomplish a task fast.

Last server I had way too many things powered by hydro. I had 4 extractors each running off a wall of 8 hydros, and these were stacked vertically. My AE was powered off 4 hydros. Lube farm, no problem. 4 hydros and Electricraft to run 16 grinders. Need to transport lube? Pump it into an EnderTank, and place one on output mode next to each wall of hydros.

Hydros were way too easy. This time I'm sticking exclusively to cached power from low powered renewables (DC / wind) and fuel based engines where I'm currently on Ethanol. Shaving a greatwood tree gives me 8 sludge per leaf, so I'm manually creating it in large quantities.

Once I break bedrock with jet fuel, I'll do fission and use bedrock coils for most small applications.

Reactions: Pyure

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
There is something to be said for on-demand power, that is true. Also, glad you (from what I seem to be gathering from your wording) failed in your quest, I've not had much chance to toy around with hydros very much, and nerfing things is, more often than not, like treating a mild skin infection on your hand by amputating your entire arm. Considering I have to worry about performance (my laptop really isn't the best, and its getting on in age), I really can't focus on things that require complicated logic and a multitude ticking entities in a small space.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
I use one to power my extractor. :p
That would be godawfully slow and you'd need a CVT to get it at a fast enough ratio for stage 2 and 3 but be able easily switch it back to it's original torque by setting it to a 1:1 ratio gear (CVT's can do that right?).

I personally use the vastly more expensive solar engine, the speed can be geared to an extractor without a CVT at an 8:1 ratio and as the torque is variable.
That being said for a system that can perform this you need 18 tower peices and 63 mirrors. Not cheap, but it is set and forget and gives the extractor a decent run speed.

Also speaking of generators the wind turbines output is actually not that accurate, I read that wind power is actually high torque and they in fact have to gear them to produce more speed, at least as far as wind electricity gen is concerned. In RoC it's the other way around, methinks it's to be the mirror image of the hydro gen.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
That would be godawfully slow and you'd need a CVT to get it at a fast enough ratio for stage 2 and 3 but be able easily switch it back to it's original torque by setting it to a 1:1 ratio gear (CVT's can do that right?).
No, he uses a 16:1 diamond gearbox.

I use the AC engine as a starting engine for the extractor, before I have anything better. I chain a (I think, it's been a while) 16:1 and 2:1 gearbox together for it, and manually change the modes when needed.

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
I use the AC engine as a starting engine for the extractor, before I have anything better. I chain a (I think, it's been a while) 16:1 and 2:1 gearbox together for it, and manually change the modes when needed.

I think my point was you have to charge those shafts somewhere, why not hook up there? Better yet, use an industrial coil which can output 1 MW.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
I think my point was you have to charge those shafts somewhere, why not hook up there? Better yet, use an industrial coil which can output 1 MW.

I used steam engines to charge the shaft cores, so that wouldn't work, and never really trusted myself to use coils due to their tendency to go "boom" when I forget to activate safety measures.

dothrom

Jul 29, 2019
Speaking of just these things. Does it take more power to magnetize a whole stack of shaft cores or just more time? Because i can't seem to get the whole stack to take a charge. But one will (using v23)

DriftinFool

Jul 29, 2019
I used steam engines to charge the shaft cores, so that wouldn't work, and never really trusted myself to use coils due to their tendency to go "boom" when I forget to activate safety measures.
Only one question. How do you keep the shaft cores magnetized? With a redstone clock set to a .25 second pulse(the fastest a PR timer goes) they seemed to charge slower than they ran out. I had 8 steam engines geared to feed a single magnetizing unit and even with them nonstop running and my AC engines only for on demand use, I regularly had no shaft cores to run the engine. It honestly felt easier to build a canola and ethanol setup than to try and keep shaft cores magnetized. I never understood the point of them losing their charge. Real electric engines don't.