Botania - An innovative natural magic themed tech mod (Not in beta any more!)

RealSketch

Jul 29, 2019
Yep, that's better. The unstable blocks could also be condensed, since they do the same thing. Also, there's 3 helmet of revealing variants, one for each armor set.
I thought since you wanted the block condensed, why not the helmet? I'm on it.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I thought since you wanted the block condensed, why not the helmet? I'm on it.
I have so much to delete now. :p

there he goes, there he goes, the sketch that everyone knows *dun*dun*dun*
pB2sX1r.gif

Reactions: RealSketch

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
So, playing around with early-game mana generation designs, and came up with this:

hey1PCj.png

Nine Hydrodrangeas, and twelve each of Daybloom and Nightshade. I alternated Daybloom and Nightshade because 1) all Daybloom would see diminishing returns by being adjacent, and 2) I wanted additional power draw at night.

Basically, I started off doing a 2 x 2 infinite pool with Hydrodrangeas, using dirt since I'm still resource-poor, and came up with an idea that since I'm going to be having a spreader nearby, I might as well put daybloom on the border. Then I expanded it to the maximum range of one Spreader. This is a scalable design, as you can have mana spreaders aimed at other mana spreaders to finally aim at a mana pool.

It is relatively 'low tech', requiring only mana petals for the Hydrodrangeas as the only thing you need other than the regular petals. So you can start this by planting Daybloom and Nightshade, then as you get the mana, you can add in Hydrodrangeas.

Note the cobble wall? You can make it out of something nifty later on, but cobble was what I had. Basically, this keeps Endertrolls et al out of your mana farm. Since you never need to get into your mana generation garden, there's no reason to include a gate. And the Mana Spreader is juuuust able to shoot the mana over the wall to hit the mana pool.

It may not be as nifty as DW20's Serenade of the Nether and Thermalillies setup, but it's a low-tech mana solution.

RealSketch

Jul 29, 2019
So, playing around with early-game mana generation designs, and came up with this:

hey1PCj.png

Nine Hydrodrangeas, and twelve each of Daybloom and Nightshade. I alternated Daybloom and Nightshade because 1) all Daybloom would see diminishing returns by being adjacent, and 2) I wanted additional power draw at night.

Basically, I started off doing a 2 x 2 infinite pool with Hydrodrangeas, using dirt since I'm still resource-poor, and came up with an idea that since I'm going to be having a spreader nearby, I might as well put daybloom on the border. Then I expanded it to the maximum range of one Spreader. This is a scalable design, as you can have mana spreaders aimed at other mana spreaders to finally aim at a mana pool.

It is relatively 'low tech', requiring only mana petals for the Hydrodrangeas as the only thing you need other than the regular petals. So you can start this by planting Daybloom and Nightshade, then as you get the mana, you can add in Hydrodrangeas.

Note the cobble wall? You can make it out of something nifty later on, but cobble was what I had. Basically, this keeps Endertrolls et al out of your mana farm. Since you never need to get into your mana generation garden, there's no reason to include a gate. And the Mana Spreader is juuuust able to shoot the mana over the wall to hit the mana pool.

It may not be as nifty as DW20's Serenade of the Nether and Thermalillies setup, but it's a low-tech mana solution.
This is the kind of thing I want a Botania Tip's and Tricks wiki guide to include...

Wraithflay

Jul 29, 2019

This is the sort of thing I personally like to see, as vain as I am. It's an efficient, useful design that is visually pleasing. ^.^ What I'm trying to figure out right now on a personal level is how I can improve my passive, unattended mana generation. Sure, lots of people seem to like the Thermalily+Serenade of the Nether Ritual, but I'm trying to figure out something that doesn't require heavy advancement in a different mod to sustain. Basically, vanilla and Botania only for me! So far it's really just been a case of tossing coal into my patch of whatever they were called's and let that generate mana haha.

Admittedly, this is largely because I really wanna play with approximately 4 Shards of Laputa, then use my significant other's Rite of Moving Earth (Witchery) to break one or two of them up, and create some floating islands of witchcraft, botania, and whatever other 'natural' type magic I can fit in there. :D

RealSketch

Jul 29, 2019
Quick question Vaz, for resources in the mod that require Elven Knowledge, can the player still craft them without discovering Elven Knowledge?
They obviously won't be able to see them until they unlock it but can they still craft it?

Also, is the Crafty Crate supposed to open a GUI for assembling things like a Crafting Table would?

Last edited:

Vazkii

Jul 29, 2019
Quick question Vaz, for resources in the mod that require Elven Knowledge, can the player still craft them without discovering Elven Knowledge?
They obviously won't be able to see them until they unlock it but can they still craft it?

Also, is the Crafty Crate supposed to open a GUI for assembling things like a Crafting Table would?
Yes. Yes. No.

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019

hey1PCj.png

I'm intrigued, but can't keep the mod installed long enough to play around with it because the sheer amount of flower worldgen does horrible things to my ocd. There's a config setting for flower density, from your experience do you think it can be turned down without gimping the mod too badly?

gardenapple

Mod Developer
Jan 14, 2014
I'm intrigued, but can't keep the mod installed long enough to play around with it because the sheer amount of flower worldgen does horrible things to my ocd. There's a config setting for flower density, from your experience do you think it can be turned down without gimping the mod too badly?
Nah, I turned down the density from 32 to 16 and it's alright.
Also, if you hate the textures, there's a config option for alternative textures. And for removing particles.

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
Just takes more exploring to get started. Later on there's a flower that spawns more flowers using mana anyways.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
In my experience, you can safely reduce the worldgen quantity because there are several ways to generate more flowers if you are lacking them. There's a fertilizer you can create that can be used to create additional flowers, and I believe regular bonemeal can create them as well, if not as frequently.

Dylan4ever

Jul 29, 2019
In my experience, you can safely reduce the worldgen quantity because there are several ways to generate more flowers if you are lacking them. There's a fertilizer you can create that can be used to create additional flowers, and I believe regular bonemeal can create them as well, if not as frequently.

That is correct, except for the bonemeal part: bonemeal doesn't create Vaz' flowers anymore.

pilgrim143

Jul 29, 2019
Just a note, when wearing both the Globetrotters Sash and the Ring of Chordata when you run on the bottom to a river/channel you run twice as fast as if running on land with the the Globetrotter's Sash.

Last edited:

Zebia

Jul 29, 2019
BNlBkOY.png
The Starfield Creator is kinda neat
The picture is the starfield created by 4 Starfield Creators; one at bedrock, two at bout ground level and the last at height limit; as seen when level with the lower middle field, it looks rather neat from ground level as well
Edit: PICTURE BE HUGE.

Last edited: