Best mining method?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Ember Quill

Nov 2, 2012
Chuck Norris jokes were pretty stale before I was in High School which was... well, somewhere on the order of 6-7 years ago.
I graduated from High School back in 2008, and I distinctly remember that Chuck Norris jokes got stale when I was still in 11th grade. So yeah, six or seven years would be about right.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
They were stale here... before I was in high school which was more like 9 years ago ._.

Though the jokes were re-hashed and used with teachers with epic beards. Oh and one teacher who was a santa sized time traveler who put out a chemical fire on a mans arm by blowing on it. Once.

TangentialThreat

Jul 29, 2019
Maybe not the best, but one of the coolest.

1. Access community automatic iTNT enderchest.

2. Build Mystcraft portal in your private Age underneath deployers full of iTNT.

3. Create system to auto-replace the book any time a new link book is inserted into another enderchest.

4. Insert link book to target area into enderpouch, press and hold wireless remote.

This digs a really, really big hole really quickly. My system can also drop naga (or any other entity that can be caught in a safari net) and they'll continue to expand the crater.

The redstone and piping is actually pretty simple. You just drop live iTNT into a portal. I'll post screenshots if people are interested.

Reactions: ApSciLiara

Ember Quill

Nov 2, 2012
They were stale here... before I was in high school which was more like 9 years ago ._.

Though the jokes were re-hashed and used with teachers with epic beards. Oh and one teacher who was a santa sized time traveler who put out a chemical fire on a mans arm by blowing on it. Once.
Chuck Norris jokes didn't even EXIST nine years ago.

...I miss those days.

BrandonBP

Jul 29, 2019
Chuck Norris isn't stale. You guys are spending a hell of a lot of time discussing something stale, aren't you?

Wait, what is it this generation likes.... Oh yeah, let's talk about Bieber and Miley and Gaga then if you guys don't like Chuck Norris.

Ember Quill

Nov 2, 2012
Chuck Norris isn't stale. You guys are spending a hell of a lot of time discussing something stale, aren't you?

Wait, what is it this generation likes.... Oh yeah, let's talk about Bieber and Miley and Gaga then if you guys don't like Chuck Norris.
"Stale" as in no longer funny. Also, welcome to the FTB Forums. We discuss a lot of pointless/stale/whatever things here whenever a thread gets derailed.

Don't assume things about me. I am nowhere near as young as you think I am.

Nor am I all that interested in arguing about popular culture with you.

BrandonBP

Jul 29, 2019
"Stale" as in no longer funny. Also, welcome to the FTB Forums. We discuss a lot of pointless/stale/whatever things here whenever a thread gets derailed.

Don't assume things about me. I am nowhere near as young as you think I am.

Nor am I all that interested in arguing about popular culture with you.
I'll go ahead and assume that you are exactly as young as I think you are, and if I wish to stereotype someone as being a Belieber, then I certainly will.

Ember Quill

Nov 2, 2012
Manual. Arcane Bore from time to time.
And we're back on topic! Let's keep this going.

I tend to go with quarries and tunnel bores (with some manual caving/branch mining if I need something specific). I love building frame contraptions, so tunnel bores are both fun and functional. And you can make them as big as you want (well, to a point) so you can get ores that spawn near bedrock and ores that spawn higher up, all with a single tunnel bore.

So I typically quarry down to bedrock, then build a tunnel bore at the bottom of the quarry.

I may try to program a quarrying turtle and see if I can get it to run even faster than other quarry designs, but I'm not a fan of using Turtles when there are other ways to accomplish the same thing. They feel a little too cheaty to me. And Frames are a lot more fun.

Ako_the_Builder

Jul 29, 2019
And we're back on topic! Let's keep this going.

Ah, but we're not really back on topic as you quoted what someone's mining preference was, not what is the best mining method, which is what the thread asks. And all these pages later the answer is still impossible to answer as best is totally subjective, it is like asking what the best colour is :)

Riuga

Jul 29, 2019
I'm upgrading my arcane bore system atm. thaum goggle turtles check every 20 seconds if aura is above 580, if it is, fire it up, otherwise wait. 16 crystal clusters to recharge aura. Will add more in the future. right now it would take a bit more than 2 1/2 hours per bore round. My goal would be roughly 4 stacks + 45 crystal clusters, seriously. Afterwards, people will keeping laughing at the message "iRiuga got struck by lightning" and how I drained the world of 30,100 vis theoretically 24/7 bore with a bit of extra vis (that go into making moar infused stone and repairing tools). shards are not hard to get with fortune III. Not the cheapest and fastest*, but it is as efficient with ore yields as you can get. And that is very important (at least to me) on non-Mystcraft modpacks / servers.

And of course, flying airship thanks to RP2's maglev voodoo.

While I'm working towards that goal, working on a semi-automatic turtle smart enuf to ignore silk touch ores.

* - pretty fast** unless you are using an rp2 frame quarry
** - If you are using potency and efficiency and all that good stuff

Ember Quill

Nov 2, 2012
Ah, but we're not really back on topic as you quoted what someone's mining preference was, not what is the best mining method, which is what the thread asks. And all these pages later the answer is still impossible to answer as best is totally subjective, it is like asking what the best colour is :)
Blue, duh.

But seriously, the fact that the answer is subjective does not in any way prevent people from discussing said answer. It just prevents people from agreeing on it.

Reactions: Jess887cp and YX33A

Vaygrim

Jul 29, 2019
Another in-built turtle command, which is probably much better for resource gathering, is "excavate".

Create the turtle, put it back in the grid with a diamond pickaxe to create the mining variant (other gemmed tools may work too), then place it. Open it like a chest to view its inventory and give it commands. Escape closes it.

Start out with the command "label set turtlename", where turtlename is whatever you want to call it. Naming your turtle ensures that it'll remember certain things if you pickaxe it and later place it somewhere else (like its fuel level, for starters).

Put a stack of coal/charcoal in its inventory and type in the command "refuel all". Alternatively, if you've got EU to spare (it doesn't need all that much, 10k is fine) build a charge station and place the turtle next to that a while.

Put the turtle somewhere you want to mine from and place a chest directly behind it. Give it the command "excavate x", where x is width/length of the hole you want it to dig.

It'll go to bedrock or until it runs out of fuel, whatever happens first. Whenever it fills its inventory it'll return to the chest and dump off its load before going back down to continue digging. It doesn't care about silly things like mobs, lava, or gravity, but you'll have to manually collect and restart it if its chunk happens to unload - keep this in mind before telling it to dig out a 32x32 area or something larger then you've got time to wait for in a sitting. Either that or set up a chunk loader.

You'll probably want to spend some resources on upgrading its storage chest. Wood is easy enough to acquire but it'll fill it very quickly. For larger digs, even a diamond chest will require some watching to prevent overflow.

Again, turtles are slow, but you can have more then one digging at once (gathered around the same chest if you like) and they really do cost very little for what they do. The space they clear for you is almost as valuable as the resources they bring up.

Thank you SO MUCH for this great information! Quick question.. if a turtle is setup to excavate like this, will it automatically refuel using any Coal that it has dug up? Or will it just 'stop' where it runs out of fuel?

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
Thank you SO MUCH for this great information! Quick question.. if a turtle is setup to excavate like this, will it automatically refuel using any Coal that it has dug up? Or will it just 'stop' where it runs out of fuel?

It stops when it runs out of fuel, and to my knowledge you can't stop it until it either completes its job, or runs out of fuel.

I don't run a turtle unless I know that it has several times more fuel than it needs to complete a job, as I really don't like restarting them.

Reactions: Volondil

whd23

Jul 29, 2019
It stops when it runs out of fuel, and to my knowledge you can't stop it until it either completes its job, or runs out of fuel.

I don't run a turtle unless I know that it has several times more fuel than it needs to complete a job, as I really don't like restarting them.

The turtle will attempt to return to the chest when its fuel is low (this doesn't always succeed in my experience) and its interface will show "Waiting for fuel...." while it scans its inventory for some sort of fuel.

To stop a turtle running a built-in program, just right-click to open its interface and hold down CTRL-T. Note that the turtle will lose any state information so it can't resume excavating where you stopped it; you'll have to either move the chest to the new Y level or you'll have to start the excavate program back at the chest and wait while the turtle "mines" air blocks.