Best mining method?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
I haven't actually timed it. Feels like somewhere between 20 and 30 mins but I could be wrong.
To get pink slimeballs, make a slaughterhouse, have it kill a lot of animals, collect liquid meat and liquid pink slime (the latter is in the unvast minority), get an entire bucket of liquid pink slime, place it in the world, it turns into a pink slime mob, and you kill it for pink slimeballs!
I have lots left over. You only need 4 for 4 prechargers.
I didn't notice the uranium, thanks for pointing that out Liara.
It certainly gives tin, I assume more than uranium. But I'm also fairly sure that going AS Fission -> lazor -> uranium -> compressor -> fissile fuel rods -> AS Fission will not gain energy.
OK, thank you for the explanation.
And that's not for energy, that's for resources :3

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Hahaha! I keep getting alerts for this thread, and telling myself, "this time I will know what the hell they are talking about", just about every time, nope.

Reactions: ApSciLiara

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
How long do they live on one rod?

Maybe... I don't know how to get them :D[DOUBLEPOST=1370410069][/DOUBLEPOST]
Oh. Does that mean that...
AS Fission -> lazor -> uranium -> compressor -> fissile fuel rods -> AS Fission...

The only problem is the... freakin' tin cells. I guess it gives tin, too so that's not that bad...

The tin cells have been slightly un-nerfed.

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
The tin cells have been slightly un-nerfed.
Wery slightly :3 Doesn't help actually for fusion.
But that's issue bothers fusion much more than fission. 6 cells for 20-30 minutes is much better than 1 cell for 8 seconds.

EternalDensity

Jul 29, 2019
OK, thank you for the explanation.
And that's not for energy, that's for resources :3
Ah alright.
BTW I'm not seeing any uranium in the lazor output so I'm not sure what Liara was talking about. Unless she took it all, or mistook the emeralds.

AbusedPanda

Jul 29, 2019
I don't know if I'm missing something and I'm about to say something stupid, but what's wrong with the digital miner I mean it's got to be the easiest to automate, it mines only resources, it has a large range, it has a silk touch function, and it's pretty fast. On the downside its power hungry and the easiest thing to get.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Haha :D
Well a lot of new mods came out since this thread died. For instance we have the Ender Quarry.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
The necro is strong with this one. Like, jesus, this is is Sauron-level shit.

If I recall correctly, 1.6 packs were just making the scene when this thread was alive :D

Mods change, sometimes. If they span MC versions, doubly so.

Reactions: the_j485

AbusedPanda

Jul 29, 2019
oh dam I just saw now this post ended in 2013 that was before mekanism even existed i wonder if it had even been thought up yet

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
What mod do you think is the best for mining

Re Direwolf20 for 1.7.10:

For manual mining:
Thaumcraft's Pickaxe of the Core has a repair enchant, good speed, high durability, a right click function that will highlight nearby ores.

Thaumcraft's Primal Crusher digs 3x3 and has implicit self repair. It has low durability but with max unbreaking it repairs faster than efficiency v usage damages it. Can be enchanted with silk touch or fortune.

Tinkers construct pickaxes and hammers can be crafted to be super fast.

The ic2 mining drill uses eu rather than taking damage but cannot be enchanted. A fortune III variant requires an end game setup making you matter to produce iridium.

Quarries:
Thaumcraft a arcane bore does horizontal or vertical tunnels 64 meters long and 9x9 diameter (circular). Silk touch or fortune. They deplete the durability of the equipped Pickaxe but can run use thaumcraft a self repairing picks indefinitely.

The build craft quarry mines an up to 64x64 hole down to bedrock. If you run it over an ocean you avoid ugly terrain holes and lag. Can't do silk touch or fortune.

The ic2 miner can do 5x5 or 9x9 or up to 15x15 with the advanced variant. The normal miner uses mining pipe to dig down and extracts registered ores and can get stuck on lava unless paired with a pump. It cannot do silk touch or fortune. The advanced miner uses ic2 teleport technology to teleport up ores using either a whitelist or blacklist mode. It can also be setup for silk touch mining which will retrieve bee hives intact (but cannot do fortune enhanced mining). The normal version requires adjacent power production but the advanced version can be powered effectively with energy crystals.

Extra utilities has the ender quarry that is similar to the build craft quarry in capabilities but replaces mined blocks with stone without block updates for low lag mining. I don't know if it works in all dimensions in the default configs.

The mining tree sapling will retrieve ores from below the tree and bring them to the surface for manual mining. Don't know what the range is.

Blood magic has similar rituals that can draw up and harvest ores.

Railcraft has a tunnel bore that can dig a 3x3 tunnel for as much coke coal and railway track as you care to supply. No silk touch or fortune you have to retrieve the minerals from the trailing minecarts. The bore head also takes damage and needs to be replaced.

Steves carts has a somewhat more capable bore that I've never made.

Cc turtles. Limited only by your imagination. No silk touch or fortune as far as I know.

Applied energistics has material destruction planes that can harvest the world if you can move them (or the mountain)

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
My favorite method of automining is magical crops. I have done the whole quarry thing a million times over. Since its inevitable that I end up with unlimited resources, I might as well just grow them. It looks a lot cooler for sure since I always use golems and lamps of growth. Ive tweaked the recipes so that its integrated completely with thaumcraft requiring infusion to make the seeds and alchemy to get ore. The vanilla magical crops recipes are tedious when it comes to the seeds and overly generous when it comes to ore.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
My favorite method of automining is magical crops. I have done the whole quarry thing a million times over. Since its inevitable that I end up with unlimited resources, I might as well just grow them. It looks a lot cooler for sure since I always use golems and lamps of growth. Ive tweaked the recipes so that its integrated completely with thaumcraft requiring infusion to make the seeds and alchemy to get ore. The vanilla magical crops recipes are tedious when it comes to the seeds and overly generous when it comes to ore.
OK, that sounds really nifty :D What alchemy do you need to do?

Blood N Bones gated the Magical Crops stuff with high level metals (only obtainable from the Witchery dream world) - as cool as that was, I think your way is more magical and just sounds pretty damn awesome!

Reactions: epidemia78

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
OK, that sounds really nifty :D What alchemy do you need to do?

Blood N Bones gated the Magical Crops stuff with high level metals (only obtainable from the Witchery dream world) - as cool as that was, I think your way is more magical and just sounds pretty damn awesome!

Thanks! I put a bit of thought into my recipes, using mod machines often instead of crafting tables. Same method used for making thaumium actually, toss it in a crucible with some essentia. Ive got alternative magical recipes for enderium and the other two fantasy TE ingots too. Not to mention extensive tweaks to AE, TE and even vanilla. Ive considered making a public pack.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Thanks! I put a bit of thought into my recipes, using mod machines often instead of crafting tables. Same method used for making thaumium actually, toss it in a crucible with some essentia. Ive got alternative magical recipes for enderium and the other two fantasy TE ingots too. Not to mention extensive tweaks to AE, TE and even vanilla. Ive considered making a public pack.
That sounds amazing! :) I wish I could make 1.7.10 work on my underpowered computer - I would have to give your pack a go! :D it sounds like another Blood N Bones - not in terms of insane difficulty, but in terms of well thought out tech progression and interesting alternate recipes! By fantasy metals, do you mean Signalum and Lumium?

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
That sounds amazing! :) I wish I could make 1.7.10 work on my underpowered computer - I would have to give your pack a go! :D it sounds like another Blood N Bones - not in terms of insane difficulty, but in terms of well thought out tech progression and interesting alternate recipes! By fantasy metals, do you mean Signalum and Lumium?

Yep, signalum and lumium. I wouldnt say my tweaks make the game much harder, just more fun. Machine frames all require some sort of metal block now, and those can only be crafted with molten metal so that makes things harder in the early game. Recently I added a new layer of complication. Mariculture has a block called a Blacksmith's anvil which you place items on and hit a certain number of times with a hammer to turn it into something else. I think thats really cool so I tweaked all the Ticon metal plate recipes to require a metal block on the anvil. And later I will spread the plates around so you need them for more than just tools.