Best mining method?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Does anyone know how to focus the laser drill to certus quartz?
AFAIK there is no focusing it and it just produces all ores in a certain order as each 75k MJ is supplied. I could be wrong and it randomly chooses from them each time it reaches 75k MJ though.

natnif36

Jul 29, 2019
Via use of "focus" of different colours, one can tell the laser to a specific list if items.

I think he is asking is there/what is the colour to make it focus on certus quartz.

Zjarek_S

Jul 29, 2019
Does anyone know how to focus the laser drill to certus quartz?

I'd go with none. In my test no color has any noticable increase in AE quartz (it is proportional to amount of glowstone or TE ores for all 16 colors), but I didn't finish this test yet (too little ores to get good results, about 15 stacks per color).

EternalDensity

Jul 29, 2019
I'd go with none. In my test no color has any noticable increase in AE quartz (it is proportional to amount of glowstone or TE ores for all 16 colors), but I didn't finish this test yet (too little ores to get good results, about 15 stacks per color).
None of my tests seem to have helped it either. Though it's hard to tell if they've had any effect on anything at all really.

Zjarek_S

Jul 29, 2019
I'm too lazy to properly analyze it, but here is output from MCEdit filter I just wrote: http://pastebin.com/6TiJetDD . Each number represent one ore of a given type, lasers should be powered equally and no ore was used. So go with light gray ;) (I must have missed it while looking at barrels manually).

Edit: all lasers have 6 of corresponding focuses.

Edit2: I'm still not sure if light gray really has an effect on certus quartz, more testing is needed.

Edit3: So this data seems rather conclusive that following aspects have given effect:
Black: Coal
Light Blue: Diamond
Lime: Emerald
Yellow: Gold
Brown: Iron
Blue: Lapis
White: Nether Quartz
Red: Redstone
Other aspects don't seem to have noticeable effect on ore distribution. It seems that when there is color aspect on a drill, it has some chance to get ore specific for this aspect. If this check "fails", you will get ore from a normal distribution.

EternalDensity

Jul 29, 2019
Maybe I should leave it with no focus. It's annoying to get diamond ore when the last thing I need is more diamonds :p

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
I mine using my way OP Enchanted Advanced Diamond Drill with Efficiency and Fortune 3. I also love setting up Quarries at 64x64^2m. Does anyone know where I can start learning Lua? I would love to get more into CC before the server I play on restarts.

EternalDensity

Jul 29, 2019
I mine using my way OP Enchanted Advanced Diamond Drill with Efficiency and Fortune 3. I also love setting up Quarries at 64x64^2m. Does anyone know where I can start learning Lua? I would love to get more into CC before the server I play on restarts.
http://lua.gts-stolberg.de/en/index.php?uml=1

I mine with my TConstruct pick, powered by my MPS suit.

Oh, here's my system BTW. Combo fission (tesseracted from basement) and now brand spanking new wind power:
2013-06-05_10.13.14.png

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Reactions: ApSciLiara

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
Nice, ED, I guess I want a lazor, too. Don't have enough powah to run it at the moment, though

ApSciLiara

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a way to focus it on getting uranium? The laser I mean.

Maybe green. IDK. It seems like green would do something...
Who cares about stinky uranium, anyway? CERTUS QUARTZ IS SUPERIOR.[DOUBLEPOST=1370409821][/DOUBLEPOST]
I don't think it gets uranium at all. I haven't noticed any. But maybe I'm doing it wrong.

Yes, it does get uranium. Check and you'll see :p

Reactions: EternalDensity

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
AS Fission Reactors run it wondrously, apparently.
How long do they live on one rod?

BTW do you want some pinkslimeballs?
Maybe... I don't know how to get them :D[DOUBLEPOST=1370410069][/DOUBLEPOST]
Maybe green. IDK. It seems like green would do something...
Yes, it does get uranium. Check and you'll see :p
Oh. Does that mean that...
AS Fission -> lazor -> uranium -> compressor -> fissile fuel rods -> AS Fission...

The only problem is the... freakin' tin cells. I guess it gives tin, too so that's not that bad...

EternalDensity

Jul 29, 2019
How long do they live on one rod?

Maybe... I don't know how to get them :D
Oh. Does that mean that...
AS Fission -> lazor -> uranium -> compressor -> fissile fuel rods -> AS Fission...

The only problem is the... freakin' tin cells. I guess it gives tin, too so that's not that bad...
I haven't actually timed it. Feels like somewhere between 20 and 30 mins but I could be wrong.
To get pink slimeballs, make a slaughterhouse, have it kill a lot of animals, collect liquid meat and liquid pink slime (the latter is in the unvast minority), get an entire bucket of liquid pink slime, place it in the world, it turns into a pink slime mob, and you kill it for pink slimeballs!
I have lots left over. You only need 4 for 4 prechargers.
I didn't notice the uranium, thanks for pointing that out Liara.
It certainly gives tin, I assume more than uranium. But I'm also fairly sure that going AS Fission -> lazor -> uranium -> compressor -> fissile fuel rods -> AS Fission will not gain energy.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
I haven't actually timed it. Feels like somewhere between 20 and 30 mins but I could be wrong.
To get pink slimeballs, make a slaughterhouse, have it kill a lot of animals, collect liquid meat and liquid pink slime (the latter is in the unvast minority), get an entire bucket of liquid pink slime, place it in the world, it turns into a pink slime mob, and you kill it for pink slimeballs!
I have lots left over. You only need 4 for 4 prechargers.
I didn't notice the uranium, thanks for pointing that out Liara.
It certainly gives tin, I assume more than uranium. But I'm also fairly sure that going AS Fission -> lazor -> uranium -> compressor -> fissile fuel rods -> AS Fission will not gain energy.
I would wager that it might if you process the uranium properly and have a very good reactor setup.