Bee Breeding Wiki

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
Wiki fresh released, what do i see today on Twitter?
https://twitter.com/Binnie567/status/303293722081251328

20 new bees...
Gentlemen, fire up your soul frames, we've got work to do.

Edit: I blame Jadedcat for that: https://twitter.com/JadedcatWylde/status/300046889859022848

Actually those are the bees I had to get to finish that achievement. He added those 24 hours before I would have completed everything. I was like I have 2 bees left , Binnie goes ... here have 26 more. It wasn't a public release until testing was finished ;p And I can verify they can all be bred

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
Actually those are the bees I had to get to finish that achievement. He added those 24 hours before I would have completed everything. I was like I have 2 bees left , Binnie goes ... here have 26 more. It wasn't a public release until testing was finished ;p And I can verify they can all be bred
26? The twitter only talks about 20.
I confess, that I use the master apiarist database, and if needed the genome imprinter, to get all data for the wiki. Something isn't right with that update, maybe I have a bug somewhere or I did something wrong:
15 Species can be normally bred, according to the MAD.
Celebratory seems unfinished, doesn't even have a product.
Your bee (Jaded) doesn't have parents from which to mutate.
Perilous Bee, Hazardous Bee, Explosive Bee also don't even show up in the master apiarist database, they can only be seen with the genome imprinter from Forestry. If analyzed after imprinting them into the world, they are labelled as "Extinct" in section 5 of the beealyzer.

vineet

Jul 29, 2019
So I have a question: when it says a imperial queen produces royal jelly every 5.1 minutes does it mean 5.1 minutes on an apiary, default traits? (I used imperial bee just as an example )

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
So I have a question: when it says a imperial queen produces royal jelly every 5.1 minutes does it mean 5.1 minutes on an apiary, default traits? (I used imperial bee just as an example )

Default traits for that species in an Alveary is what the database shows. It will be slower in an Apiary. A lot slower if you don't use frames.

You can imprint better speeds on the bee, since almost all bees are slow or slowest by default. As well, with Extra Bees, you can put up to 18 frames in an Alveary and get up to truly ridiculous production rates - until such an obvious exploit gets fixed.

whatshisface9

Jul 29, 2019
Hi, I am trying to produce Sinister bees, and it says it is not daytime in the Nether. I didn't know there was a time cycle in the Nether. Is this usual?

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
Hi, I am trying to produce Sinister bees, and it says it is not daytime in the Nether. I didn't know there was a time cycle in the Nether. Is this usual?

Yes. You must have nocturnal on any bee you try to breed in the nether. It only has to be on the princess though.

vineet

Jul 29, 2019
Default traits for that species in an Alveary is what the database shows. It will be slower in an Apiary. A lot slower if you don't use frames.

You can imprint better speeds on the bee, since almost all bees are slow or slowest by default. As well, with Extra Bees, you can put up to 18 frames in an Alveary and get up to truly ridiculous production rates - until such an obvious exploit gets fixed.
Hmmm, that is a pity, looks like I need to build at least three alvearies for what I plan on doing, which will probably take forever. According to my calculations, I think 10 apaires equal one alveary. Thanks for you help! :)

Vaclav

Jul 29, 2019
I love the new bees so far, and I've been able to successfully get myself a good collection of Vis Bees, but Pure Bees have me stumped. I was able to get Flux Bees on my first try, but not Pure. I'm pretty sure I'm meeting all the requirements. I even made a backup and took my world into creative to try and force their appearance, but no luck. Is there a max threshold that needs to be met before the mutation happens, or is it just rare?

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
I love the new bees so far, and I've been able to successfully get myself a good collection of Vis Bees, but Pure Bees have me stumped. I was able to get Flux Bees on my first try, but not Pure. I'm pretty sure I'm meeting all the requirements. I even made a backup and took my world into creative to try and force their appearance, but no luck. Is there a max threshold that needs to be met before the mutation happens, or is it just rare?

It's time and environment sensitive.

A specific phase of the in game moon, and near a pure node.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
I ran four bees literally on top of the appropriate node for Pure, Flux, and Node and recycled them immediately on death. Didn't take more than 2 or so in game days for each. For me, Flux was the longest and Pure and Node were within a couple generations.

TiGG

Jul 29, 2019
Hmmm, that is a pity, looks like I need to build at least three alvearies for what I plan on doing, which will probably take forever. According to my calculations, I think 10 apaires equal one alveary. Thanks for you help! :)

if you have access to Tharmic bees, you can get the fastest worker trait from aura bees, so you can get quite alot from them, even in an apiary.

Vaclav

Jul 29, 2019
I've got my Apiary built literally INSIDE of an 831 power pure vis node on top of a witches hut, bred for humidity tolerance and nocturnal work. The only thing which gives me pause is the occasional rain storm, because I haven't done any breeding for that particular tolerance yet. I really hope these little buggers come around soon. I need them to clean up the flux mess near my front door which allowed the flux varient to come into being so quickly.

whizzball1

Jul 29, 2019
How about adding a page for "The Almost Perfect Bee Age" that shows specifications for a bee age that would be optimal for any bee. Tiny biomes, maybe?

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
The Wiki has been updated (already yesterday, forgot to mention it here). It now is up-to-date with:
Forestry 2.0.0.11
Extra Bees 1.5.0.6b
Thaumic Bees 1.4.3a

allmyr

Jul 29, 2019
Hey, quick question: When the wiki states about parents for mutation, does parent 1 *have* to be the princess and parent 2 the drone?

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
Hey, quick question: When the wiki states about parents for mutation, does parent 1 *have* to be the princess and parent 2 the drone?
No, it is completely irrelevant for the mutation, if mommy is species A and daddy species B, or vice versa.

I'm working on a biomes list, so that you can better see where to house your bees with specialties.
Current status at: http://mc.nessirojgaming.eu/bees/index.php?title=Biome

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
How about adding a page for "The Almost Perfect Bee Age" that shows specifications for a bee age that would be optimal for any bee. Tiny biomes, maybe?
After digging a bit through my pages, I can give you the following list of biomes needed:
- Hot/Arid (e.g. Desert) (for the bees listed in http://mc.nessirojgaming.eu/bees/index.php?title=Temperature, categories "Hot" and "Hellish")
- Icy/Normal or Cold/Normal (e.g. Taiga) (for bees of the "Frozen" branch: http://mc.nessirojgaming.eu/bees/index.php?title=Frozen)
- Normal/Normal (e.g. Plains) (for the rest)
This assumes, that the special mutations (Sinister, Fiendish, Demonic in the Nether, Rural in the Plains, Heroic in the Forest) were done beforehand.

Since only three biomes are needed, any biome generator which accepts three biomes should be good enough, since spots where all three meet should be plenty. Add to that the usual stuff (no cave world, eternal day, no weather or however these attributes are called in the current MystCraft) and you should be good. Since I haven't played around with the current MystCraft, I won't write a detailed explanation into the wiki, so I won't accidentally write wrong info there.
If anyone can give me a world definition with this information, which has been tested as being stable, I'll write the page.

Esperologist

Jul 29, 2019
I was working on making my own little list of all the bees and their data when I got a question/concern about some of the Flora-in-a-box information... so I went to the Collected Guides Thread, opened a few Forestry and other bee links and found the Beekeeping Wiki through that... then when I found no answer to my question (on any of the sites), I followed the link here.
I also did some experiments, just to see if I could figure it out.
So, here is my question, which should probably result in adjustment to the Beekeeping Wiki (better if it was fixed in game):

What does the Flora-in-a-box mean by honey comb every 5.1 minutes?
There are some that are 2.8, 3.9 or such, so that means it can't be 5 minutes and 10 seconds... so...
Possible translations of 5.1 minutes:
1) direct, where after the decimal is seconds straight up.
- 5 minutes, 1 second
2) percentage of a minute, where after the decimal is a percentage of 60.
- 5 minutes, 6 seconds
3) possibly error in formula, where 100 is used in place of 60.
- 560 seconds, or 9 minutes 20 seconds
4) direct forumula, no adjustment for display - divided by 60 to get the value, just just multiply by 60 to get seconds.
- 306 seconds, or 5 minutes, 6 seconds
Okay, so 4 and 2 are actually the same thing, just worded differently.
Also, I suspect it is actually 4 and that the mod author just didn't bother scripting to do the math to display the seconds as a seperate number.

Sorry to be a bother, but I figured it out through ranting... or at least the probability... however, I am still posting this since the I was unable to find it specified.
As such, I recommend that in the Beekeeping Wiki that the translation to proper time (5 minutes and 6 seconds, or just 5 min, 6 sec) be listed beside the Flora-in-a-box format.
Thus, people see the Flora-in-a-box data and the corrected (easly understandable) version as well.

On a test of 16 hives on 1 lifespan of all Forest queens, I got 5 combs.
So, it seems it is also a chance of producing, which is not mentioned at all in game... and I didn't find it elsewhere.
Are the combs all the same probability chance or does each comb or bee have different chances?

If I knew how to crack open the code, I'd be very tempted, just so I would know how it works.
Well, hopefully this is more helpful for the Beekeeping Wiki than it is annoying for the thread.