Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

reddvilzz

Jul 29, 2019
Play it yourself(Preferably with other players). Regularly perform profiles using VisualVM. Watch changelogs like a hawk.

VisualVM? Can you explain what is that and how to use it?

Expand on please, do you mean like just bug test?

More than that. What I mean is I want my modpack to be stable / beta at least not just a bug test. Since I am creating this modpack from scratch and I do not know how to balance it, and particularly I do not know what needed to be tested.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
VisualVM? Can you explain what is that and how to use it?

More than that. What I mean is I want my modpack to be stable / beta at least not just a bug test. Since I am creating this modpack from scratch and I do not know how to balance it, and particularly I do not know what needed to be tested.

VisualVM is a java application used to perform "profiles" on other java applications. It can tell you if certain threads are taking too long to update, what threads are currently running, idling threads, and more. It's a powerful tool if you learn how to use it. It can even be used to find memory leaks I believe.

Keeshi

Jul 29, 2019
Anyone have any tips on getting 1.7.10 Unstable to run smoother? I was told that doing more than 2gigs of ram doesn't help much, but, I have 8gigs, and I still get stuttering while loading new chunks or generating new ones. If you need more info, please say so.

Edit: Also, item lag. I'm getting it in a singleplayer world and its driving me insane. >_<!!
Also, the console shows this during the spikes.
Code:
 [00:12:44] [Client thread/INFO]: Warning: Clientside chunk ticking took 1734 ms
[00:12:45] [Client thread/INFO]: Warning: Clientside chunk ticking took 1705 ms
[00:12:48] [Client thread/INFO]: Warning: Clientside chunk ticking took 2113 ms
[00:12:50] [Client thread/INFO]: Warning: Clientside chunk ticking took 1670 ms
[00:12:50] [Server thread/WARN]: Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded? Running 2761ms behind, skipping 55 tick(s)

Last edited:

reddvilzz

Jul 29, 2019
Anyone have any tips on getting 1.7.10 Unstable to run smoother? I was told that doing more than 2gigs of ram doesn't help much, but, I have 8gigs, and I still get stuttering while loading new chunks or generating new ones. If you need more info, please say so.

Edit: Also, item lag. I'm getting it in a singleplayer world and its driving me insane. >_<!!
Code:
[00:12:50] [Server thread/WARN]: Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded? Running 2761ms behind, skipping 55 tick(s)

The same exact problem when i play unstable. My culprit is maybe because of botania but i could be horribly wrong though. Because botania load lots of flowers into the world that makes the lag spikes everytime a new chunk is loaded. Haven't try removing botania though

RealSketch

Jul 29, 2019
The same exact problem when i play unstable. My culprit is maybe because of botania but i could be horribly wrong though. Because botania load lots of flowers into the world that makes the lag spikes everytime a new chunk is loaded. Haven't try removing botania though

Botania is great! Don't remove it, but maybe lower the flower gen in the config?

reddvilzz

Jul 29, 2019
Botania is great! Don't remove it, but maybe lower the flower gen in the config?

I know it is a great mod. And I even can't remove it but if I can't play because of the lag then I have to sacrifice it.

Oh I can do that? Will definitely try it. What's the value you recommend? And if i disable / smoothen out the particle [i don't remember the correct sentence of it in the config but it have something to do with particle) does it help solving the problem as well?

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012

Code:
No tips.

It's a "feature" of 1.7.10 with slow chunk generation. But don't worry, mojang fixed their error in 1.8. They call it "optimising", I call it "repairing".

Reactions: Padfoote

Keeshi

Jul 29, 2019
I never thought about all those fllower! I went digging into the congif, botanica checks tons of mobs/villagers for dropping items every tick, I turned them off and no more item lag! thanks for the help guys. I'll do more testing.

pc_assassin

Jul 29, 2019
Will 1.7.2 have about the same or the same content as .10 cause my computer is too old to run 1.7.10 apparently and I don't have the money to upgrade

Sent From Something That You Won't Care About Using Tapatalk 2

RealSketch

Jul 29, 2019
Will 1.7.2 have about the same or the same content as .10 cause my computer is too old to run 1.7.10 apparently and I don't have the money to upgrade

1.7.10 introduces Prismarine...and underwater dungeons, and is stable...I feel bad for you... :(

Reactions: pc_assassin

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Does the old "make a wither then use a piston to jam him into a bedrock ceiling so he can't move" trick still work?

I'm setting up a nether star farm, just want to make sure my old cheeky method hasn't been fixed.

pc_assassin

Jul 29, 2019
Does the old "make a wither then use a piston to jam him into a bedrock ceiling so he can't move" trick still work?

I'm setting up a nether star farm, just want to make sure my old cheeky method hasn't been fixed.

Nope still works

pjfranke

Jul 29, 2019

Still work where, in 1.7.10? 1.6.4 with mod updates?

I tested it in my sandbox, and it worked great. Did it in my real world, and he somehow jumped through the roof while I was attacking him. Had to chase him through the skies above the nether. :( Agrarian Skies 3.0.1.

Eruantien

Jul 29, 2019
Perhaps not "simple" but...
I've been having seemingly random crashes lately in 1.6.4 (modded, of course!) due to a "Ticking memory connection -- java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException: Index: 41, Size: 0" or indices and sizes to that effect. It's also corrupted my world once. I'm not exactly sure what's causing it. I have looked on various places online, including here and MCForums, but nobody has found a solution yet.
I don't want to start a discussion here, so if anybody has any information for me or wants me to explain further (crashlog, modlist etc.), could you PM me please? Thanks in advance.
EDIT: If this should go in the Tech Support forum, then sorry, I didn't know...