Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

natenater

Jul 29, 2019
I was wondering if anyone could point me to a guide or anything on how to create the server jar files for a potential private modpack or does it get created automatically if my pack is accepted?

Morberis

Jul 29, 2019
I am running a server on monster 1.0.7. I want to update to the new 1.0.10 pack and that carries with it massive worldgen changes, including oregen.

So what I want to do is make our current dimension dimension say 6 instead of dimension 0. Can I do that just by changing around the files and folders in the save folder and then giving people linking books, or will that cause problems? I don't expect any new exploration in our current dimension.

ProfessorMudkip

Jul 29, 2019
Mariculture freezer, I think
Tested, you are right. Thanks.

How long do the ore crops from Magic Crops take to grow? Can anything increase the grow speed? Does grow speed vary based on the mineral you get out of it? Is there any way to automate harvesting them?

hiroshi42

Jul 29, 2019

How long do the ore crops from Magic Crops take to grow? Can anything increase the grow speed? Does grow speed vary based on the mineral you get out of it? Is there any way to automate harvesting them?

Don't know the base time it takes to grow magical crops but it feels about as long as vanilla wheat, maybe a bit longer. Many things can speed up the growth of magical crops. Thaumcraft lamp of growth, Extra utilities? watering can, reliquary's lilypad of fertility, blood magic's sigil and ritual of the green grove, Twilight forest's timewood? core, and Open block's? sprinkler are the ones that I can think of off the top of my head. They all stack by the way. Basically anything that adds 'extra growth ticks' to plants. As for auto harvesting Thaumcraft golems can do it and I think rotarycraft fans can as well. There is also talk that MineFactory Reloaded will be able to, but I don't remember if the versions of magical crops and MFR that allow this are in any of the packs/are available yet.

ProfessorMudkip

Jul 29, 2019
That's what I was worried about. I've not used it before, so I'm concerned that it's too powerful. However, to grow ore level of seeds (iron, tin, gold, etc) you seem to need almost 300 Essence Dust for 2 seeds. You seem to get 3-4 dust per ore, so you'd need to mine 75-100 essence ore to grow 2 ore crops. That seems reasonable from a theoretical point of view, but with the massive stacking growth you mentioned, is it balanced?

NegaNote

Jul 29, 2019
Are there any ways of creating infinite lapis that do not involve magical crops, mining (automatic or manual), or pulverizing wool?

hiroshi42

Jul 29, 2019
That's what I was worried about. I've not used it before, so I'm concerned that it's too powerful. However, to grow ore level of seeds (iron, tin, gold, etc) you seem to need almost 300 Essence Dust for 2 seeds. You seem to get 3-4 dust per ore, so you'd need to mine 75-100 essence ore to grow 2 ore crops. That seems reasonable from a theoretical point of view, but with the massive stacking growth you mentioned, is it balanced?
Well most of those growth inducer's require a material investment, are fairly minimal, and/or require fuel. I think the best thing if balance is your goal is to eliminate the extra seed from harvesting option, this requires you to make each seed and limits the growth of a farm. If you are looking to balance the mod for a server environment I would seriously consider this as a balance option.
Also it depends on what growth options you are using and how much of them. Take the lilipad of fertility, one single lilipad is not that great, it is nice and has a measurable impact but it is not stupid fast like the sigil of the green grove from Blood magic. that however takes infrastructure and a fuel.

Other thing that poped in my head while typing: AM2 sigil of growth. No idea how it works but I think it is compatable with Magical crops.

Are there any ways of creating infinite lapis that do not involve magical crops, mining (automatic or manual), or pulverizing wool?
Bees! or UU mater although I don't actually know if lapis is craftable with UU anymore.

Also MFR laser miner thing although you are not guaranteed lapis every time (there might be a focus that ups the chance for lapis though)

Also I just thought of this and haven't checked the math, but rotarycraft to process lapis in the big mutistaged thing, then Mekanism to make lapis ore block. Might be net profit there. Will have to test later.

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013

Although I have never used them extensively, I do know that Magic Crops take absolutely forever to grow by default. I don't know how long, exactly, but it's a long time.

However, I have come across a rather overpowered cross-mod way to make them grow ridiculously fast. Immediately underneath your farm, place an Autonomous Activator from Thermal Expansion (make sure it faces upward- the orange hole (which you won't use) should face downward) containing a filled Watering Can from Extra Utilities. Set the Activator to right-click constantly without a redstone signal. This will, in effect, spam free bonemeal on everything in a 3x3 area above the Activator- so the normally slow-growing crops grow fast. Very fast- as in, two or three minutes.

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
Balanced compared to what? Infinite ores from a laser drill? The ridiculous material return of a single quarry, that you can run off a couple of steam dynamos? Fields full of framed alvearies?

I don't know exactly how the time/material investment compares to other resource solutions but in almost any current pack, there is a cutoff point beyond which you cannot equate the end of resource scarcity and balance. It's purely a matter of how you go about obtaining that, and magical crops actually requires far more manual labour than most solutions, which tend to be far easier to automate.

TangentialThreat

Jul 29, 2019
Although I have never used them extensively, I do know that Magic Crops take absolutely forever to grow by default. I don't know how long, exactly, but it's a long time.

However, I have come across a rather overpowered cross-mod way to make them grow ridiculously fast. Immediately underneath your farm, place an Autonomous Activator from Thermal Expansion (make sure it faces upward- the orange hole (which you won't use) should face downward) containing a filled Watering Can from Extra Utilities. Set the Activator to right-click constantly without a redstone signal. This will, in effect, spam free bonemeal on everything in a 3x3 area above the Activator- so the normally slow-growing crops grow fast. Very fast- as in, two or three minutes.

If they take away your watering can then try lilypads of fertility from Xeno's. They stack...

The real trick to vastly OP amounts of resources is a chunkloader and a pair of Thaumcraft golems.

Eliav24

Jul 29, 2019
Where can i get a general info on RF numbers? I haven't manage to find any comprehensive guide on RF generation, use, and storage.

Tristam Izumi

Jul 29, 2019
Where can i get a general info on RF numbers? I haven't manage to find any comprehensive guide on RF generation, use, and storage.
All dynamos create 80 RF/t. Hold shift to see how much each conduit can pull into/push out from itself per connection (throughput between conduits is essentially infinite, it's the input/output of RF that's throttled). Pretty sure you can do the same with energy cells, though that may just tell you the current/max RF storage in one.

All in all, NEI and tooltips can answer most of what you want to know. Just type "@thermal" into the NEI search bar to only show the items any mod that has "thermal" in it (which in most cases is just Thermal Expansion).

Eliav24

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, but i meant more in term of power usage of various operations (pulverizing-smelting versus induction, magma crucible power), efficiency, MJ conversions and use of cells with fillers and quarries, and most importantly, overall comparisons of all energy generations and uses