Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Tristam Izumi

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, but i meant more in term of power usage of various operations (pulverizing-smelting versus induction, magma crucible power), efficiency, MJ conversions and use of cells with fillers and quarries, and most importantly, overall comparisons of all energy generations and uses
All RF machines have an energy usage tab, including their current and max RF/t consumption; for the most part they're in the 20-80 RF/t range, with a few outliers. RF:MJ is a 10:1 ratio, which means all the dynamos do 8 MJ/t if you connect them to a MJ consumer with energy conduits. Which is another note, you always need a conduit to convert from RF to MJ; you can't just go energy cell/tessaract -> quarry, you need at least one conduit to do the conversion. Oh, and there's no way within TE3 to go MJ->RF (by design).

And I haven't checked on the official FTB wiki in a while, but I'd imagine the wiki team has done a decent job on updating with the stuff from TE3, seeing as it's one of the more popular tech routes to start with.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, but i meant more in term of power usage of various operations (pulverizing-smelting versus induction, magma crucible power), efficiency, MJ conversions and use of cells with fillers and quarries, and most importantly, overall comparisons of all energy generations and uses
If you open a machine and click on the middle of the gui (The part that changes to show the amount of recipe progress) it will bring up the recipes for that machine, and in that section, it will also display the amount of power used per recipe.

QuantumCookies

Jul 29, 2019
Ftb requires the internet to run due to the account system[DOUBLEPOST=1392470717][/DOUBLEPOST]Can wrath lamps overwrite force fields, allowing you to walk through them?

Neirin

Jul 29, 2019
Why cant I log back into FTB after my internet dies? Even if I close the client and try to log back in, it gives me the error message "IOException, minecraft servers might be down."
Sounds like you're having trouble connecting to the minecraft login servers. Assuming you're able to resume normal web browsing activity even while you get this message, it's possible the login servers happen to be down (double check at help.mojang.com). If that's not the case I'd assume some cache or the like is messed up somewhere (i.e. still thinks you're offline). Resetting your wi-fi connection should fix it. Worst case scenario: restart your computer (though I seriously doubt it'd come to that).

Not_Steve

Over-Achiever
Oct 11, 2013
Most basic operations take 1000 rf all generators produce 80 rf so you just have to find the one that fits your style

ProfessorMudkip

Jul 29, 2019
Balanced compared to what? Infinite ores from a laser drill? The ridiculous material return of a single quarry, that you can run off a couple of steam dynamos? Fields full of framed alvearies? I don't know exactly how the time/material investment compares to other resource solutions but in almost any current pack, there is a cutoff point beyond which you cannot equate the end of resource scarcity and balance.
That is what I am trying to stamp out; I am editing the configs to try to kill things that print resources for a small "hardcore" server for my friends. However, there are so many powerful/easy methods and cross-mod exploits that make it very difficult.

Current list: Disabled TE/EnderIO/RemoteIO tesseracts, Magic Mirror (TC), Ender Tanks, Ender Chests and linking books to enforce physical transportation systems. Total energy production from all sources from all mods is reduced, solar panels and windmills are disabled, tree farms don't yield positive energy loops, Nether pumping is forbidden, water is finite (ChickenChunks config, BC pump config so it drains water properly), water generation disabled (Aqueous Accumulator, Weather Collector, Rain Tank, Water Tank Siding), golem chop and harvest disabled, Forestry set to Hard, bees set to Hardcore, mining turtles disabled, Quarries/MFR Laser require 10x more energy, single-use Quarry (must be recrafted after each hole), Tinker ingot cast and casting basin disabled (to prevent using Tinker's to process ore, but still allow it for tools), Mariculture disabled (Freezer allows casting Tinker, Turbines are powerful nearly free power), Tinker upgrades nerfed through Iguana config, Autonomous Activator disabled. Any suggestions for the list?

Last edited:

Not_Steve

Over-Achiever
Oct 11, 2013
That is what I am trying to stamp out; I am editing the configs to try to kill things that print resources for a small "hardcore" server for my friends. However, there are so many powerful/easy methods and cross-mod exploits that make it very difficult.

Current list: Disabled TE/EnderIO/RemoteIO tesseracts, Magic Mirror (TC), Ender Tanks, Ender Chests and linking books to enforce physical transportation systems. Total energy production from all sources from all mods is reduced, solar panels and windmills are disabled, tree farms don't yield positive energy loops, Nether pumping is forbidden, water is finite (ChickenChunks config, BC pump config so it drains water properly), water generation disabled (Aqueous Accumulator, Weather Collector, Rain Tank, Water Tank Siding), golem chop and harvest disabled, Forestry set to Hard, bees set to Hardcore, mining turtles disabled, Quarries/MFR Laser require 10x more energy, single-use Quarry (must be recrafted after each hole), Tinker ingot cast and casting basin disabled (to prevent using Tinker's to process ore, but still allow it for tools), Mariculture disabled (Freezer allows casting Tinker, Turbines are powerful nearly free power), Tinker upgrades nerfed through Iguana config, Autonomous Activator disabled. Any suggestions for the list?

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
This seems to just convert 9 iron into 1 steel with a vanilla furnace? I was considering using Railcraft steel, but it seems a bit too steep to start TE given my other nerfs.
That mod is intended for people who don't have another source of Steel for TiC but want to use TiC Steel tools without waiting at their mob farm/grinder for chainmail armor to drop.

EDIT: I'm on a roll with forgetting to post what I came into threads to post!

So, long time ago Forestry had only one type of bee(but plenty of breeds) and eventually a second type was added, Swarmer Bees, which were obtained from Swarmer Hives, which spawn near Alveraries with the Swarmer Block as a part of it, if the Swarmer is "fueled" with royal jelly or Magic Bee's alternative.

But now we have "Normal" Pristine Bees, and "Useless" Ignoble bees. But I'm curious; what kind of bee does the Swarmer now spawn? Since the mechanics from Swarmers are kind of implemented in Ignoble Bees, do swarmers now spawn ignoble bees?

Tristam Izumi

Jul 29, 2019
But now we have "Normal" Pristine Bees, and "Useless" Ignoble bees. But I'm curious; what kind of bee does the Swarmer now spawn? Since the mechanics from Swarmers are kind of implemented in Ignoble Bees, do swarmers now spawn ignoble bees?
Are swarmers even still a thing? I thought the swarmer block was removed and we just have this whole pristine and ignoble thing now.

Not_Steve

Over-Achiever
Oct 11, 2013
This seems to just convert 9 iron into 1 steel with a vanilla furnace? I was considering using Railcraft steel, but it seems a bit too steep to start TE given my other nerfs.
Whoops I forgot that the dev version is different. There is a new multi block called the high furnace (I think) that is used to make steel

Neirin

Jul 29, 2019

-Doesn't some mod include the option to disable the enchanting table?
-I'd also recommend employing a max stack size config (if available).
-Set the world to UHC mode (no natural regen - vanilla option).
-Are water mills still in IC2-exp? I never use them, so I haven't checked. If they are available, kill those.
-Also get rid of any lava-fueled power you can.
-Ban a bunch of fuels from various generators. Sticks and blaze rods in particular are a major source of infinite power when fed from a witch/blaze farm.
-Make sure fillers destroy blocks instead of dropping them.
-Set lifespan of items dropped from BC pipes to 0.
-Reduce max number of items per BC pipe before explosion to something like 5.
-Disable oil spouts.
-Reduce chance of blocks destroyed by creepers dropping as items to 0 (creepercollateral).
-Disable uncrafting function of the uncrafting table or disable all of Twilight Forest due to the ridiculous access to resources it provides (though I think it also provides a good challenge).

-Since you look like you're going after ore doubling: I actually recommend keeping the quartz grindstone. Let them double their ores, but only in the most manual way possible

-I would recommend removing TE altogether - not much to it without ore doubling or tesseracts. Also ditch MFR - forestry and railcraft can do 90% of what MFR does, but require more investment for a lower rate of return and the 10% they don't replicate is incredibly OP in a hardcore setting (i.e. auto-spawner, laser drill).

hiroshi42

Jul 29, 2019
So, long time ago Forestry had only one type of bee(but plenty of breeds) and eventually a second type was added, Swarmer Bees, which were obtained from Swarmer Hives, which spawn near Alveraries with the Swarmer Block as a part of it, if the Swarmer is "fueled" with royal jelly or Magic Bee's alternative.

The swarmer block appears to not do anything aside from consume royal jelly, unless the 'swarmer' rate is absurdly low or unless it only works on certain bees.

ProfessorMudkip

Jul 29, 2019
Excellent reply, thank you.
- Enchanting table disable seems useful because I disagree with fortune/silk touch, since many mods massively multiply silk touched ores and fortune is silly to begin with. Anyone know which mod does that?
- We are divided on the UHC non-regenerating aspect.
- Yes, water mills are still in IC2, but they are really bad unless you use the active version, which consumes water, and there is finite water. The passive form is still free energy though, so perhaps I will kill it.
- I'm forbidding Nether pumping, though Overworld lava lakes are pretty large. But, with my energy nerfs, lava won't be so silly.
- I doubt sticks are profitable because of my energy nerfs, will have to test. I'll check for the scaffold exploit as well.
- Already have that filler destruction config change.
- Why change the life-span/max number in BC pipes?
- Will disabling the springs still generate the little puddles?
- Which mod controls creeper destruction %?
- Already disabling all of Twilight because the Hollow Hills are ridiculous. It's a shame, because some of Twilight is good.
- Removing Quartz Grindstone. I am going after ore doubling yes, but also having the expensive nerfed energy as the only way to double it. Does any other mod allow free doubling?
- I've strongly considered killing TE and MFR because with default configs they are basically babymode versions of other mods. However, some of my friends only know a few mods, so they want TE/MFR to stay. Luckily their authors included a very robust configuration system, so I can just make them less overpowered with that.

I still need to find a way to kill the Infernal Furnace, since it is free smelting. Does any other mod support free smelting?

The swarmer block appears to not do anything aside from consume royal jelly, unless the 'swarmer' rate is absurdly low or unless it only works on certain bees.
I'm pretty sure it only works if there's trees nearby. The spawn range is also fairly large, so perhaps you missed it. Though, I've not used the Swarmer in some time; perhaps it's changed.

Not_Steve

Over-Achiever
Oct 11, 2013
Excellent reply, thank you.
- Enchanting table disable seems useful because I disagree with fortune/silk touch, since many mods massively multiply silk touched ores and fortune is silly to begin with. Anyone know which mod does that?
- We are divided on the UHC non-regenerating aspect.
- Yes, water mills are still in IC2, but they are really bad unless you use the active version, which consumes water, and there is finite water. The passive form is still free energy though, so perhaps I will kill it.
- I'm forbidding Nether pumping, though Overworld lava lakes are pretty large. But, with my energy nerfs, lava won't be so silly.
- I doubt sticks are profitable because of my energy nerfs, will have to test. I'll check for the scaffold exploit as well.
- Already have that filler destruction config change.
- Why change the life-span/max number in BC pipes?
- Will disabling the springs still generate the little puddles?
- Which mod controls creeper destruction %?
- Already disabling all of Twilight because the Hollow Hills are ridiculous. It's a shame, because some of Twilight is good.
- Removing Quartz Grindstone. I am going after ore doubling yes, but also having the expensive nerfed energy as the only way to double it. Does any other mod allow free doubling?
- I've strongly considered killing TE and MFR because with default configs they are basically babymode versions of other mods. However, some of my friends only know a few mods, so they want TE/MFR to stay. Luckily their authors included a very robust configuration system, so I can just make them less overpowered with that.

I still need to find a way to kill the Infernal Furnace, since it is free smelting. Does any other mod support free smelting?

I'm pretty sure it only works if there's trees nearby. The spawn range is also fairly large, so perhaps you missed it. Though, I've not used the Swarmer in some time; perhaps it's changed.
Just use magic farm... It's very hard mode and you can get massive support from the ftb team. It also has even harder config mode that just make it almost impossible...

Reactions: Tristam Izumi

Bellaabzug21

Jul 29, 2019
This is a picture of the industrial apiary I have. It says that it doesn't have enough light despite having the open sky upgrade as well as a fully lit room. Is it a feature or bug? What am I doing wrong?

Attachments

• 2014-02-15_14.47.12.png
    2014-02-15_14.47.12.png
    277.5 KB · Views: 55

hiroshi42

Jul 29, 2019
Ah, that did the trick. And yes the swarmer blocks do produce ignoble princesses, with the same traits down to the number of generations in captivity the queen has.

This is a picture of the industrial apiary I have. It says that it doesn't have enough light despite having the open sky upgrade as well as a fully lit room. Is it a feature or bug? What am I doing wrong?
What version are you on? I have set up an apiary similar(only change is sorcerous vs medeows ) to the one in your picture and it is working fine in gendustry 1.0.3.41. The one that I built requires 2.2 MJ/t to operate how much are you giving it? I can see that the buffer appears full but it might be something weird like Mekanism and requires a constant input.

Last edited:

TheEclipze

Jul 29, 2019
I have a simple question that it seems like i cannot get a decent answer for.
I run an FTB Ultimate private server, but we're having problem with extremely slow growth timers it seems like.
Trees grow slow, leaves decay slowly, stuff generally grows slow (making forestry auto-farming kinda useless).
This slowing doesn't affect machines or anything else as far as i can tell. any ideas of what might cause it?

ProfessorMudkip

Jul 29, 2019
I have a simple question that it seems like i cannot get a decent answer for.
I run an FTB Ultimate private server, but we're having problem with extremely slow growth timers it seems like.
Trees grow slow, leaves decay slowly, stuff generally grows slow (making forestry auto-farming kinda useless).
This slowing doesn't affect machines or anything else as far as i can tell. any ideas of what might cause it?
Is the day/night cycle affected? Do you have something that can calculate the TPS?

kleshas

Jul 29, 2019
Monster pack, stopped playing for a while and noticed "saving chunks for level ".../Underdark" as well as the usual Twilight Forest, Nether etc. What is the Underdark?