Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
That is what I am trying to stamp out; I am editing the configs to try to kill things that print resources for a small "hardcore" server for my friends. However, there are so many powerful/easy methods and cross-mod exploits that make it very difficult.

Current list: Disabled TE/EnderIO/RemoteIO tesseracts, Magic Mirror (TC), Ender Tanks, Ender Chests and linking books to enforce physical transportation systems. Total energy production from all sources from all mods is reduced, solar panels and windmills are disabled, tree farms don't yield positive energy loops, Nether pumping is forbidden, water is finite (ChickenChunks config, BC pump config so it drains water properly), water generation disabled (Aqueous Accumulator, Weather Collector, Rain Tank, Water Tank Siding), golem chop and harvest disabled, Forestry set to Hard, bees set to Hardcore, mining turtles disabled, Quarries/MFR Laser require 10x more energy, single-use Quarry (must be recrafted after each hole), Tinker ingot cast and casting basin disabled (to prevent using Tinker's to process ore, but still allow it for tools), Mariculture disabled (Freezer allows casting Tinker, Turbines are powerful nearly free power), Tinker upgrades nerfed through Iguana config, Autonomous Activator disabled. Any suggestions for the list?

You are my type of player! My own changes: tinkers construct smeltery only outputs 1 ingot per ore, TE3 steel and diamond recipes disabled. Use Opencomputers instead of Computercraft. Install Hunger overhaul by Iguana_Man, and/or his other mods. Disable stone and paper tools in TiC. Disable watering can, magnum torch, ender lillies, golden bags of holding from ExtraUtils

I added gregtech, if you like that mod is does a number on MFR when you enable gregtech recipes. Big upgrades for the harvester are super expensive, etc. MPS can also use gregtech recipes.

The single biggest change I have made so far that has made the game more challenging for me is not using chunk loaders. If you play SMP, just restricting yourself to personal anchors only from Railcraft is a huge change. Its been much more fun so far.

My group almost disabled infinite water, but we thought it was just as silly as infinite water, but in reverse... sure you cant run a boiler off of a 2 buckets of water next to an Accumulator, but now if you take 1 bucket out of an ocean, it permanently makes 'holes' along hte shore? Right now im just playing as if water behaved normally. No tiny infinite pools, but i can run a pump from the ocean and consider that an 'infinite source'. Then i have to run pipes everywhere though. I also didnt disable rain tanks.

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
Oh, I just bet you two will get along ;)

zorn's one of the go-to guys around here for "extreme difficulty", Mudkipz. He can probably help you out a lot.

ProfessorMudkip

Jul 29, 2019
You are my type of player! My own changes: tinkers construct smeltery only outputs 1 ingot per ore, TE3 steel and diamond recipes disabled. Use Opencomputers instead of Computercraft. Install Hunger overhaul by Iguana_Man, and/or his other mods. Disable stone and paper tools in TiC. Disable watering can, magnum torch, ender lillies, golden bags of holding from ExtraUtils

I added gregtech, if you like that mod is does a number on MFR when you enable gregtech recipes. Big upgrades for the harvester are super expensive, etc. MPS can also use gregtech recipes.

The single biggest change I have made so far that has made the game more challenging for me is not using chunk loaders. If you play SMP, just restricting yourself to personal anchors only from Railcraft is a huge change. Its been much more fun so far.

My group almost disabled infinite water, but we thought it was just as silly as infinite water, but in reverse... sure you cant run a boiler off of a 2 buckets of water next to an Accumulator, but now if you take 1 bucket out of an ocean, it permanently makes 'holes' along hte shore? Right now im just playing as if water behaved normally. No tiny infinite pools, but i can run a pump from the ocean and consider that an 'infinite source'. Then i have to run pipes everywhere though. I also didnt disable rain tanks.
Why opencomputers over computercraft? I haven't used much of either. Hunger Overall seems promising. I like GregTech, but some of my friends hate it, so I've decided not to include it. I agree that chunk loaders should not function while you're offline, as you can essentially afk the game if you have automated systems.

You should try disabling infinite water and water generators, its much better. Just drain water intelligently and it's lovely. For example, I built my first base near where the ocean comes inland to create a little lake. I dammed where the lake meets the ocean so it doesn't make an ugly mess in the ocean, and drained the lake. You can also drain rivers very well, as it only leaves shallow sand ravines.

http://i.imgur.com/hDUkVDG.png
http://i.imgur.com/gAVMHLG.jpg

Oh, I just bet you two will get along ;)

zorn's one of the go-to guys around here for "extreme difficulty", Mudkipz. He can probably help you out a lot.
We seem to be a rare breed. :(

Is it a mod or a config option causing fast tree decay in Horizons?

Treecapacitator?

Last edited:

Thefamousnoob

Jul 29, 2019
Does anyone know why applied energisitcs has problems with large crafting recipes, when ever I create HV solar it just bugs out sometimes, but has all resources to make mats and all recipes. Like something simple like this http://imgur.com/p6PR0JM[DOUBLEPOST=1392529557][/DOUBLEPOST]It was stuck right there, also.

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
We seem to be a rare breed. :(

Treecapacitator?

A lot of us just don't have the kind of time or patience in our lives at this point to be that breed ;)

Treecapacitor's a good guess, but it's not in Horizons (or any FTB pack AFAIK)

I think it's more likely a config option somewhere; I'll likely have to go to @Eyamaz directly on this one, he's often the only person who knows what he's done to the configs, heh.[DOUBLEPOST=1392530072][/DOUBLEPOST]
Does anyone know why applied energisitcs has problems with large crafting recipes, when ever I create HV solar it just bugs out sometimes, but has all resources to make mats and all recipes. Like something simple like this http://imgur.com/p6PR0JM[DOUBLEPOST=1392529557][/DOUBLEPOST]It was stuck right there, also.
If it's stuck, it usually means that it's missing something, which can often happen due to your sub-crafting not being set up right.

Check and make sure that the recipes for your materials are correct (and remember that AE can only use one version of an ingot; if the pattern calls for TE3 tin ingots and your network only has TC tin ingots, it will stop dead). Confirm that all of the Interfaces on your machines are set up correctly, check THEIR patterns, and that you ahve them set up properly to automatically import the product. If you're using tools (like IC2 hammers) to craft those materials, confirm that you have a pattern to restock the hammers when they break.

Although to be honest I suspect it's an ingot incompatibility issue.

Neirin

Jul 29, 2019

Killing items faster when they fall out of pipes is to make people properly hook up their piping systems and account for both overflow and unexpected items. It's pretty optional, though. Limiting the number of items per pipe was inspired by you saying you wanted to enforce physical transport. 100 blocks of piping isn't much different than a pair of tesseracts in terms of what's happening to items - the pipes just can't work inter-dimensionally. By severely limiting the number of items allowed in a pipe you can force people into using something like RailCraft to handle the output of their quarries. However, if you're keeping TE, this probably doesn't make much sense since people could just use itemducts instead.

ProfessorMudkip

Jul 29, 2019
Killing items faster when they fall out of pipes is to make people properly hook up their piping systems and account for both overflow and unexpected items. It's pretty optional, though. Limiting the number of items per pipe was inspired by you saying you wanted to enforce physical transport. 100 blocks of piping isn't much different than a pair of tesseracts in terms of what's happening to items - the pipes just can't work inter-dimensionally. By severely limiting the number of items allowed in a pipe you can force people into using something like RailCraft to handle the output of their quarries. However, if you're keeping TE, this probably doesn't make much sense since people could just use itemducts instead.
Makes sense. I would prefer trains over itemduct spam. But, part of my group is less "hardcore", so I have to find some middle ground to make it enjoyable for everyone.

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
Makes sense. I would prefer trains over itemduct spam. But, part of my group is less "hardcore", so I have to find some middle ground to make it enjoyable for everyone.
As you continue with this, please bear two additional considerations in mind; namely, server load and functionality.

I understand what you are trying to do and I encourage you to keep doing so, but you're looking at this very one-dimensionally, if you'll pardon the unintended pun.

Tesseracts, chunk loaders, itemducts; things like these do not exist merely to make life easier for the player. They also address issues of server load, by reducing entities, cutting down on transit chains, etc. Additionally, without certain things like chunk loaders, many features of modded minecraft cease to function properly; by way of example, if water is finite and you need to move it increasing distances, without chunk loaders your pipelines are going to break more and more . If everyone has to rely on, say, golems or trains, if they have to jump back and forth from the nether constantly for lava, you're going to see your server load increase significantly, along with greater potential for world corruption.

Just something to think about as you strip functionality from all of your mods ;)

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Reactions: Museli

ProfessorMudkip

Jul 29, 2019
As you continue with this, please bear two additional considerations in mind; namely, server load and functionality.

I understand what you are trying to do and I encourage you to keep doing so, but you're looking at this very one-dimensionally, if you'll pardon the unintended pun.

Tesseracts, chunk loaders, itemducts; things like these do not exist merely to make life easier for the player. They also address issues of server load, by reducing entities, cutting down on transit chains, etc. Additionally, without certain things like chunk loaders, many features of modded minecraft cease to function properly; by way of example, if water is finite and you need to move it increasing distances, without chunk loaders your pipelines are going to break more and more . If everyone has to rely on, say, golems or trains, if they have to jump back and forth from the nether constantly for lava, you're going to see your server load increase significantly, along with greater potential for world corruption.

Just something to think about as you strip functionality from all of your mods ;)

I am aware of that, but I appreciate your concern. I have experience with past servers and recently ran a nerfed server* with my group to test load and configs. Although that server was not as nerfy as my new proposal, the only problem was client FPS drops from players building too many things in one area. My group is fairly small, and the server runs on powerful hardware.

I am not disabling chunk loaders, we'll be using Personal Anchors. We won't be pumping the Nether, so that won't be a problem. Likewise, we're keeping TE ducts, as I said in the previous post.

*Interestingly, I nerfed all power generation by 50% without documenting the specifics, and they didn't realize the change. This was done to eliminate negative preconceptions. Since, most were opposed to the idea when asked after the fact, yet they enjoyed it.

Last edited:

Inngrimsch

Jul 29, 2019
Ok guys another question for you i am using the Elevator block from open Blocks in DW20 1.0.14 as seen in the screenshot Mc Elevator 1.jpg Mc Elevator 2.jpg and i can't use them at all jumping and sneaking wont move me up/down and i have no idea why ;<