Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Tristam Izumi

Jul 29, 2019
Bee Breeding - Why are some bees shiny? And why do some have a [-] next to their names?
Because those bees are usually the "end of line" bee for that specific bee group.
It means they have the Swarmer trait and will eventually not produce a new princess. It's only relevant if it's on a princess/queen.

dannypeck

Jul 29, 2019
is there a 1.6.2 block that functions like a liquid transposer? (gives empty cell back+fluid into a pipe)?

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
The reworked canning machine from IC2 experimental has that functionality, though I am not sure how compatible it is with other mod's liquid containers yet.

Also, Forestry's squeezer can consume most cells and cans and store the contents in its internal tank, where it can be piped out. You'll definitely lose the containers though.

dannypeck

Jul 29, 2019
thanks, ill look into the ic2 item, im gonna avoid the forestry one, im really just looking for can preservation

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, that trait will stick, and sometimes its easier to apply a template of a bee you want and change the species then it is to change all the traits you want on the species you already have
I always thought, that the template generator only produces templates of the very basic bees with their default traits, but that it cannot copy a current species incarnation with all the currently used alleles. Is that information outdated and the machine was made actually useful in 1.5.x? Never bothered to check again ;-Þ

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
CJ, I do wish you would change your mind about this one.
Seems pretty clear that it's a deliberate choice that isn't going to change. I don't get it myself, it's the only form of power generation in the game that requires replacing parts that wear out. There is another Steam To EU method, Power Converters, which some people don't like and I'm not really sold on it either, but it works, and the alternative of generating MJ with engines and converting the MJ to EU is quite costly in terms of both items and probably server load as well. I don't mind the steel cost, as that is basically just iron and time, but I don't want to set up another huge wall of industrial steam engines even though they are cool. I don't really need the EU either though so this is all just theorycraft for me.

Reactions: RedBoss

dannypeck

Jul 29, 2019
another question, in 1.6 gregtech, theres the quad thorium+plutonium cells, exactly how do i obtain them? NEI is hiding it from me :(

Runo

Jul 29, 2019
tree breeding question, forestry decided to use some bad wording to represent one of the tree breeding conditions:

"MINIMUM HEIGHT FROM BEDROCK OF 60.0" - Great Cedar

What does it mean? Its hard to tell if it needs to be closer to bedrock or further than 60.

GPuzzle

Jul 29, 2019
Omnicron, excuse me if I'm wrong, but if you can get another tree that isn't apple oak to produce apples via crossing genes (there was this post of a guy somewhere that made this tree with max fruit production, max leaves, max everything, really), you can get the orchard to work on it.

Deftscythe

Jul 29, 2019
Make sure its the right type of node. This one stumped me for a while. The right one (edit: its an Unstable node) can usually be found above a thaumic altar - those obsidian structures with the wisp spawner. Thaumic mounds are the wrong type - which is why I wasted so many new moons :(

This worked. Thank you so much for saving me from bad information.

Reactions: un worry

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Omnicron, excuse me if I'm wrong, but if you can get another tree that isn't apple oak to produce apples via crossing genes (there was this post of a guy somewhere that made this tree with max fruit production, max leaves, max everything, really), you can get the orchard to work on it.

I believe that guy made his trees for use in an arboretum though, since he wanted biomass - ergo, saplings. That means he would choose a tree that also drops the apples from decaying leaves (instantly, without having to wait for them to mature), because those apples let him run the fermenter for free and also boost his biomass yield by 50% with fruit juice. For that reason I am not sure if that kind of tree actually would work in an orchard. if it did, it would mean that you can not only swap behaviors, but that you can in fact have both behaviors at once. I was hoping to find someone who would be able to say "I have done this before and the result was this".

Also, I have never seen any examples of someone doing the opposite - i.e. using a different fruit than apples, for instance. Why is that?

I can of course test myself if necessary, but I have limited playtime and I still haven't even bred all the tree species I'd need for such a test. It would take me quite a long while.

Zjarek_S

Jul 29, 2019
I had walnut dropping apples in 1.5.2 (like apple oak, without maturing time), so it is certainly possible. I think that orchard apple and apple oak have different fruit genes.

un worry

Jul 29, 2019
Seems pretty clear that it's a deliberate choice that isn't going to change. I don't get it myself, it's the only form of power generation in the game that requires replacing parts that wear out. There is another Steam To EU method, Power Converters, which some people don't like and I'm not really sold on it either, but it works, and the alternative of generating MJ with engines and converting the MJ to EU is quite costly in terms of both items and probably server load as well. I don't mind the steel cost, as that is basically just iron and time, but I don't want to set up another huge wall of industrial steam engines even though they are cool. I don't really need the EU either though so this is all just theorycraft for me.

I liked the maintenance. Just saying ...

In my 1.4.7 world, I set up lamps to alert when the rotor was "wearing out" and would change out and repair the rotors manually. Thought it would become tedious, but it actually gave me a reason to check in to the boiler room every once in a while. By the way, Gregtech has applied a similar principle with his Steam Turbine - requiring ongoing maintenance to maintain peak efficiency.

My question, OT: In MFR, do all mobs/animals yield the same amount of essence in a grinder? I did some tests but they were inconclusive.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
I had walnut dropping apples in 1.5.2 (like apple oak, without maturing time), so it is certainly possible. I think that orchard apple and apple oak have different fruit genes.

Orchard apple is not in Forestry itself, it's an extra tree that Binnie adds. Potentially because you can't get a normal apple tree to work in an orchard? Still not conclusive. Wish Sengir wasn't on a break, then I could ask him directly on the Forestry forums...

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
I can't quite remember if this is true or not, can you throw RC carts through Nether Portals? Or was that only a 1.2.5 thing?