Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Ripley

Jul 29, 2019
Can buildcraft red pipe wire be used to send a redstone signal to an engine?
I know I can use simple gates with redstone signal off => redstone signal on but I was wondering if it was possible with pipe wiring so I can shut down every engine with one flick of a lever.

KhrFreak

Jul 29, 2019
Can buildcraft red pipe wire be used to send a redstone signal to an engine?
I know I can use simple gates with redstone signal off => redstone signal on but I was wondering if it was possible with pipe wiring so I can shut down every engine with one flick of a lever.

You'll need a gate for each engine but yea that should work just fine

Strill

Jul 29, 2019
I just hooked a wooden transport pipe to a railcraft steam turbine, and it didn't connect. What gives? How am I supposed to automatically replace my turbine rotors like the wiki says I can?[DOUBLEPOST=1380960937][/DOUBLEPOST]Is there any way to get transfer nodes to differentiate between damaged items? I'm guessing no.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
If a Railcraft Industrial Steam Engine is warming up, is it less fuel efficient, or just slower?

Also the same for a Buildcraft Laser (the ones used for Assembly Tables). Do they use power less efficiently when starting out, or do they just use it more slowly?

The Railcraft engine is technically just slower during heatup, but it depends entirely on how you turn it on and off.

All buildcraft engines stroke slowly in the blue phase and then speed up as they "heat up". Railcraft has ditched the classic way of changing stroke speeds on engine color changes, and instead uses a gradual curve. That means that the engine animation isn't related in any way to how fast the engine is actually stroking anymore. On each stroke, the engine will output as much as it can - it has a certain limit telling it how much one stroke can output at once. For an industrial steam engine this is somewhere between 150 and 250 MJ, I don't know the exact figure. So at the start, it generates 8 MJ/t, but it strokes so slowly that it simply cannot output that much... meaning yes, you actually get less than 8 MJ/t from the engine as it heats up. But the energy is not lost - rather, it accumulates inside the engine, heating it up, causing it to stroke faster and faster. At some point - for the industrial steam engine, around 9600 MJ internal storage - the engine hits an equilibrium point where it strokes just as fast as it needs to output the full 8 MJ/t that is produced internally.

That's assuming that it can output its full burst, of course. But if you hook it up directly to, say, a thermal expansion redstone energy cell, then that cell will only accept 100 MJ/t, meaning it limits the burst output of the engine to 100 MJ per stroke, which is less than normal. As such, the engine continues to collect energy internally, heating up further, stroking even faster, attempting to find a new equilibrium point where it strokes fast enough to output 8 MJ/t again despite the more limited transfer size.

Now, there's two cases of the engine shutting off:
- If it runs out of steam, then it will stop producing energy internally. But because it still has energy stored internally, and still has a redstone signal, it will continue to stroke and continue to output that energy. As it consumes the buffer, it will stroke slower and slower, but eventually it will have output the last burst of energy and be at 0 MJ internal storage. At that point, it will stop. This behavior means that the energy inside the internal buffer is never lost, you always get it back.
- If you turn off the redstone signal, the engine immediately shuts off and stops stroking. It no longer outputs anything at all. The internal buffer will start to decay at a steady pace, and if left turned off long enough, the buffer will completely vanish. That means in this case, you actually lose the internally stored energy, and never get it back.

As for the lasers, they always work at their full rating, so long as they have both energy and work available. The color change of red->yellow->green->blue can only change once per second or so, meaning that even if the full power is being output, you will still see it cycle through the colors one at a time. The quarry behaves the same in its build phase, by the way. It will always consume the energy it gets as fast as possible, but the laser color may lag behind a bit.

I just hooked a wooden transport pipe to a railcraft steam turbine, and it didn't connect. What gives? How am I supposed to automatically replace my turbine rotors like the wiki says I can?[DOUBLEPOST=1380960937][/DOUBLEPOST]Is there any way to get transfer nodes to differentiate between damaged items? I'm guessing no.

The wiki is simply wrong in this case. Railcraft turbines do not interface with any item transport solutions. No pipes, no transfer nodes, no translocators, no turtles, no import buses, nothing. Only a player can access the GUI and replace the rotor. CovertJaguar has stated that this intentional.

JunpakuKarasu

Jul 29, 2019
Does anyone know where I can find a map color guide to the BOP biomes? Looking for a specific one on the server I just joined ;)

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Forestry, tree breeding question.

I know that apples drop from decaying leaves, while all other fruits need to mature in the leaves and then be picked by an orchard multifarm (I know they'll also drop if matured and the leaves decay, but for the purposes of this question that's not relevant).

Is there any way to swap this behavior through crossbreeding? In other words, can I somehow make a tree that carries apples that can be harvested by a multifarm orchard? Or on the flip side, a different fruit tree, like cherry or lemon, that will drop the fruit from decaying leaves?

I suppose the answer depends on whether or not the behavior comes with the fruit or with the tree, and I don't know which it is.

GPuzzle

Jul 29, 2019
That's partially possible. You can't get walnuts or limes or cherries to fall on the ground, but you can get harvestable apples. You just need to send the sapling through the treealyzer. And blue mahoe has this as native, I think.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
That's partially possible. You can't get walnuts or limes or cherries to fall on the ground, but you can get harvestable apples. You just need to send the sapling through the treealyzer. And blue mahoe has this as native, I think.

The multifarm arboretum auto-treealyzes all saplings it plants. The vanilla oak -> apple oak won't work in an orchard though. It only works with leaf decay, in an arboretum.

And, blue mahoe, you say? What exactly makes that tree special?

CovertJaguar

Jul 29, 2019
I just hooked a wooden transport pipe to a railcraft steam turbine, and it didn't connect. What gives? How am I supposed to automatically replace my turbine rotors like the wiki says I can?

What wiki? Neither the Official nor FTB wiki say that.

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast

CJ, I do wish you would change your mind about this one. The primary reason I don't use the steam turbine is that I can't automate rotor replacement. It is also the same reason I don't use a Steve Carts tree farm any more. I don't mind the idea of durability. But at least let me automate its replacement.

Strill

Jul 29, 2019

The railcraft wiki says the turbine outputs a redstone signal when the rotor is at 40% or lower.[DOUBLEPOST=1381004682][/DOUBLEPOST]
The Railcraft engine is technically just slower during heatup, but it depends entirely on how you turn it on and off.

All buildcraft engines stroke slowly in the blue phase and then speed up as they "heat up". Railcraft has ditched the classic way of changing stroke speeds on engine color changes, and instead uses a gradual curve. That means that the engine animation isn't related in any way to how fast the engine is actually stroking anymore. On each stroke, the engine will output as much as it can - it has a certain limit telling it how much one stroke can output at once. For an industrial steam engine this is somewhere between 150 and 250 MJ, I don't know the exact figure. So at the start, it generates 8 MJ/t, but it strokes so slowly that it simply cannot output that much... meaning yes, you actually get less than 8 MJ/t from the engine as it heats up. But the energy is not lost - rather, it accumulates inside the engine, heating it up, causing it to stroke faster and faster. At some point - for the industrial steam engine, around 9600 MJ internal storage - the engine hits an equilibrium point where it strokes just as fast as it needs to output the full 8 MJ/t that is produced internally.

That's assuming that it can output its full burst, of course. But if you hook it up directly to, say, a thermal expansion redstone energy cell, then that cell will only accept 100 MJ/t, meaning it limits the burst output of the engine to 100 MJ per stroke, which is less than normal. As such, the engine continues to collect energy internally, heating up further, stroking even faster, attempting to find a new equilibrium point where it strokes fast enough to output 8 MJ/t again despite the more limited transfer size.

Now, there's two cases of the engine shutting off:
- If it runs out of steam, then it will stop producing energy internally. But because it still has energy stored internally, and still has a redstone signal, it will continue to stroke and continue to output that energy. As it consumes the buffer, it will stroke slower and slower, but eventually it will have output the last burst of energy and be at 0 MJ internal storage. At that point, it will stop. This behavior means that the energy inside the internal buffer is never lost, you always get it back.
- If you turn off the redstone signal, the engine immediately shuts off and stops stroking. It no longer outputs anything at all. The internal buffer will start to decay at a steady pace, and if left turned off long enough, the buffer will completely vanish. That means in this case, you actually lose the internally stored energy, and never get it back.

As for the lasers, they always work at their full rating, so long as they have both energy and work available. The color change of red->yellow->green->blue can only change once per second or so, meaning that even if the full power is being output, you will still see it cycle through the colors one at a time. The quarry behaves the same in its build phase, by the way. It will always consume the energy it gets as fast as possible, but the laser color may lag behind a bit.

The wiki is simply wrong in this case. Railcraft turbines do not interface with any item transport solutions. No pipes, no transfer nodes, no translocators, no turtles, no import buses, nothing. Only a player can access the GUI and replace the rotor. CovertJaguar has stated that this intentional.

Thanks for the awesome explanation!

Larmonade

Jul 29, 2019
So the Sequencer uses templates and a basic bee to create a template that can then turn other bees into that base bee...but why? Is this in case you run out of bees of a certain type - you can transform your breeding by-product bees into the original breeds? When you create the template, if you use altered bees (say, Meadows bees that have been altered to fertilize stone), will that stick that trait into the template, and future to-be-templated bees?

KhrFreak

Jul 29, 2019
So the Sequencer uses templates and a basic bee to create a template that can then turn other bees into that base bee...but why? Is this in case you run out of bees of a certain type - you can transform your breeding by-product bees into the original breeds? When you create the template, if you use altered bees (say, Meadows bees that have been altered to fertilize stone), will that stick that trait into the template, and future to-be-templated bees?

Yes, that trait will stick, and sometimes its easier to apply a template of a bee you want and change the species then it is to change all the traits you want on the species you already have

Deftscythe

Jul 29, 2019
What am I doing wrong with regards to breeding an Attractive bee? My alveary is right next to a node and the jade moon dial reads a white square with a hollow center, which I took to indicate new moon. I'm putting vis and flux bees together... so what's the issue?

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Forestry, tree breeding question.

I know that apples drop from decaying leaves, while all other fruits need to mature in the leaves and then be picked by an orchard multifarm (I know they'll also drop if matured and the leaves decay, but for the purposes of this question that's not relevant).

Is there any way to swap this behavior through crossbreeding? In other words, can I somehow make a tree that carries apples that can be harvested by a multifarm orchard? Or on the flip side, a different fruit tree, like cherry or lemon, that will drop the fruit from decaying leaves?

I suppose the answer depends on whether or not the behavior comes with the fruit or with the tree, and I don't know which it is.

I'm still looking for a definitive answer to the above.

un worry

Jul 29, 2019
What am I doing wrong with regards to breeding an Attractive bee? My alveary is right next to a node and the jade moon dial reads a white square with a hollow center, which I took to indicate new moon. I'm putting vis and flux bees together... so what's the issue?

Make sure its the right type of node. This one stumped me for a while. The right one (edit: its an Unstable node) can usually be found above a thaumic altar - those obsidian structures with the wisp spawner. Thaumic mounds are the wrong type - which is why I wasted so many new moons :(

Unstable_Node.png

Good luck - find the right node and you'll be laughing :)[DOUBLEPOST=1381047824][/DOUBLEPOST]
Where can i find emeralds other then in just vanilla biomes? Running current release of unleashed.

If you have bees, the emerald species is worth breeding. You will be swimming in emeralds in no time.

Otherwise, this link http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/biomes-o-plenty-gem-locations.28941/ may help

Emeralds
Birch Forest, Boreal Forest, Cherry Blossom Grove, Coniferous Forest, Decidous Forest, Extreme Hills, Forest, Grove, Highland, Jade Cliffs, Maple Woods, Moor, Mountain, Redwood Forest, Seasonal Forest, Seasonal Spruce Forest, Spruce Woods, Temperate Rainforest, Thinned Timber, Timber, Woodland