Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

KyoNeko66

Jul 29, 2019
I just built myself a mobgrinder, using tier 5 soul shards. But I find that when I leave it alone and go to other parts of my base (a long way away, I have a distributed base) the spawners stop spawning. The area is chunkloaded, and the rest of the machinery seems to work fine when I'm away, but it doesn't spawn anything. What's going on? I thought tier 5 shards didn't care about player presence.

Soul shard, do indeed not care about player presence. Minecraft however does. Mobs further then 128(?) blocks away will instandly despawn. Soulshard spawned or natural. So make sure to build your spawner eiter in a seperate age (noone in a chunkloaded age wont cause them to despawn) or make sure to always stay withing 128 blocks of your spawners[DOUBLEPOST=1367835910][/DOUBLEPOST]Now a question of myself which is totally not minecraft related but just me failing to find it in the options probly.. How do i stop the forum from mailing me each time someone posted on a threat? I already turned off the mail me when a watched threat gets a reply in the preverence menu. But i still get the mail each time.

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
<snip>
Now a question of myself which is totally not minecraft related but just me failing to find it in the options probly.. How do i stop the forum from mailing me each time someone posted on a threat? I already turned off the mail me when a watched threat gets a reply in the preverence menu. But i still get the mail each time.
See that "Unwatch thread" link on the top-right of the page?
Watch thread is there when you don't recieve notifications, unwatch when you asked for them.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
I was mentioning igneous extruders largely because you need to use them anyway if you want to fill a quarry hole with cobble. The quarry will have dug out a large amount of other stuff (dirt, gravel, ores, air, caves, lava/obsidian) that don't end up in your system as cobble to be reusable. Not to mention that some of the quarried cobble, even if not voided, will be used for other purposes.

Having the filler place sand near the top that would drop down, that's admittedly a possible solution I didn't think of before. But I'm not sure I like the thought of having large tracts of land that are completely impossible to tunnel through in any comfortable fashion... I'll probably stick to cobble for that reason.[DOUBLEPOST=1367836863][/DOUBLEPOST]
Now a question of myself which is totally not minecraft related but just me failing to find it in the options probly.. How do i stop the forum from mailing me each time someone posted on a threat? I already turned off the mail me when a watched threat gets a reply in the preverence menu. But i still get the mail each time.

You probably were subscribed to the thread from before you made that setting. The preferences only control if the checkbox at the bottom of the post editor (the full editor, not the quick reply box) is checked or unchecked by default. When first signing up, it is checked by default, meaning you will receive email whenever you reply to a thread (even if you use the quick reply box and never actually see the option).

Now that you set the preferences to disable email subscription by default, you need to do a bit of "manual cleanup" by unsubscribing from all the threads that generate emails. You can then re-subscribe without receiving emails if you still want to receive alerts on the forum website itself.

KyoNeko66

Jul 29, 2019
Once again i fail to see a way to easy solution. I should have figured that rewatching a threat should fix it. Thank you both for the awnser, i'll be working on rewatching all threats now

Maul_Junior

Jul 29, 2019
Storage. Why worry about storing it when you can void it and recreate later as needed?[DOUBLEPOST=1367835484][/DOUBLEPOST]

I wish we had an MJ version of IC2's miner. About the only thing I truly miss from that mod. A block that mines all the good stuff, leaves all the cruft, and fills in the hole after its done? Yes, please!

Why void it and recreate it later when you can store it until it's needed?

it's just a matter of personal preference.

Heliomance

Jul 29, 2019
I'm full of questions today.

Earlier, I accidentally managed to toggle something so it showed me chunk boundaries, and which squares could spawn mobs. Now I can't work out how to get it back. What key is it?
I'm playing Ultimate 1.0.2

KyoNeko66

Jul 29, 2019
To add to this. in 1.0.1 there was a bug with the power helmet when you had the goggles of revealing modual it wouldn;t let you see those optoins. I haven;t tested 1.0.2 yet but it might sstill be in there. If the buttons dont work and you got the helmet with modual. Take it off and try again.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
I don't like cobblegens. It just feels more "right" to me to use cobble from a quarry, making it out of nothing seems like cheating to me. I know, they're as much a core part of Minecraft as infinite water sources, but when you've got cobble, and you want cobble, why destroy it?

KyoNeko66

Jul 29, 2019
Because just storing and reusing it is to simple. Voiding it and recreating it is weird and a bit more complex.. Exactly what FTB is about if you ask me

Velotican

Jul 29, 2019
Use 0.4. This brings it in line with the MJ conversion rate. This is also the default these days if you use a clean config.

Nebuchadnezzar

Jul 29, 2019
How can one read the information from a valve on a computer? (ComputerCraft)
Pressumably without downloading ny additional mods that is not contained within the standard packages (Ultimate, Direwolf20, Minecrack)

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
How can one read the information from a valve on a computer? (ComputerCraft)
Pressumably without downloading ny additional mods that is not contained within the standard packages (Ultimate, Direwolf20, Minecrack)
A valve... What kind of valve, exactly? That which relates to Railcraft iron tanks, Xycraft tanks, or something else?
You might want to try one of the Sensor Kits from Nuclear Control (fairly sure that there's one that reads liquids in tanks) on your tank valve, and dropping the resulting Sensor Card in a Nuclear Information Reader (if I remember correctly) from MiscPeripherals.
If you just want to display the contents of the tank on a screen, you won't even need computers- Nuclear Control's Industrial Information Panel has you covered.

That said, I'm not very familiar with either Nuclear Control or MiscPeripherals, and as such may be completely wrong in everything that I have just said.

Skyshayde

Jul 29, 2019
So, a friend and I have been designing automatic farms for various materials. Next up is thaumium, and we have most of it designed except for the actual thaumium production part. Is it possible to automatically charge wands? I plan on using a goggles of revealing turtle to detect when the materials are ready, then power a deployer with a wand.

Skyshayde

Jul 29, 2019
Must. Resist. Urge. Too. Link. To. lmgtfy. In seriousness, according to the wiki, there is no power loss. I dont use GregTech, so I may be wrong.