Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

zilvarwolf

Jul 29, 2019
What's the ideal ratio of MFR planters to harvesters when growing trees on one layer deep xycraft soil? (lol, a bit specific...but the soil probably doesn't matter much). MFR version as per Ultimate. Config changes not possible.

I'm currently setup with 9 planters (3x3) and one harvester...which works...kinda. The harvester only works when the trees directly in front of it have spawned, and then it seems to have trouble keeping up, but having 8 harvesters (the periphery) seems kinda overkill.

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
So, a friend and I have been designing automatic farms for various materials. Next up is thaumium, and we have most of it designed except for the actual thaumium production part. Is it possible to automatically charge wands? I plan on using a goggles of revealing turtle to detect when the materials are ready, then power a deployer with a wand.
If the wand in a deployer works, you could try using routers or GregTech machines to swap wands into and out of an Arcane Worktable. I don't think you can pipe wands in directly, but you should be able to use machines to insert wands into the wand slot, probably slot 9 or 10.

Also, if you haven't already figured this out, Chiseled Sandstone works well for Praecantatio.

What's the ideal ratio of MFR planters to harvesters when growing trees on one layer deep xycraft soil? (lol, a bit specific...but the soil probably doesn't matter much). MFR version as per Ultimate. Config changes not possible.

I'm currently setup with 9 planters (3x3) and one harvester...which works...kinda. The harvester only works when the trees directly in front of it have spawned, and then it seems to have trouble keeping up, but having 8 harvesters (the periphery) seems kinda overkill.
If you're on the version of MFR with upgrades (look up "upgrade" in NEI, if you see things like Lapis Upgrade, Iron Upgrade, Diamond Upgrade, etc, you're good; I don't know if current Ultimate has them), then one planter, one harvester, and two Emerald Upgrades should make for a huge farm.
If you don't have upgrades, then mess around with it, do what works. If your harvester on one edge of the 9x9 of saplings doesn't chop trees fast enough, put another on the other side.
Alternatively, use one planter, at least one harvester, one single block of dirt, and a Fertilizer for even more output, without worrying about trees growing too close together, and not getting you as much wood and saplings as you would get per sapling otherwise.

Skyshayde

Jul 29, 2019
If the wand in a deployer works, you could try using routers or GregTech machines to swap wands into and out of an Arcane Worktable. I don't think you can pipe wands in directly, but you should be able to use machines to insert wands into the wand slot, probably slot 9 or 10.

Also, if you haven't already figured this out, Chiseled Sandstone works well for Praecantatio.

I actually planned too use enderpearls as praecantatio, but chiseled sandstone would work also. make my diamonds last a bit longer also. Do sand generators still work? Like, the superfast piston kind. the server I am playing has YogCraft, so I dont have routers or gregtech.

We have a wither farm, so it is easy enough to mass produce Wand of the Thaumaturge I guess

Peppe

Jul 29, 2019

Are there not MFR upgrades in ultimate? Pretty sure they were in ultimate for 1.0.2. Don't reacall 1.0.1.

Exadi

Jul 29, 2019
Are there not MFR upgrades in ultimate? Pretty sure they were in ultimate for 1.0.2. Don't reacall 1.0.1.

Yes, only 1.0.2, which still isn't the recommended version (so not many servers if any are using it. I assume "config changes not possible" means he's on a server).

Velotican

Jul 29, 2019
How can you even set ultimate to 1.0.2?

ftb_right_version.jpg

Reactions: SpoonsV and Hoff

Peppe

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, only 1.0.2, which still isn't the recommended version (so not many servers if any are using it. I assume "config changes not possible" means he's on a server).

Hmm without upgrades what about 2-4 harvesters in a 3x3 at the center of the 9x9 grid. 8 planters around the outside.

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
I actually planned too use enderpearls as praecantatio, but chiseled sandstone would work also. make my diamonds last a bit longer also. Do sand generators still work? Like, the superfast piston kind. the server I am playing has YogCraft, so I dont have routers or gregtech.

We have a wither farm, so it is easy enough to mass produce Wand of the Thaumaturge I guess
Do you have IC2 or, preferably, Thermal Expansion?
If the former, then feed a Redpower Block Breaker- based cobblegen into a Macerator.
If the latter, slap down an Igneous Extruder with a bucket of water and a bucket of lava next to a Pulverizer. You'll get some gravel as a byproduct, which you will need to extract from the pulverizer and either void or store.
Or, you could try your piston trick and tell us whether or not it works.

As to actually creating the sandstone, I would recommend a chain of Xycraft Fabricators (if you have those) for all but one step- they will probably infinitely cycle between turning sandstone slabs into chiseled sandstone, and turning the sandstone back into slabs. However, if you were to put a transposer or filter on a timer between these two fabs, all would work well.
If you don't have Xycraft, you could try one of the other autocrafters- Buildcraft, Tubestuff, MFR, and Applied Energistics all have their own. Keep in mind that BC's autocrafting table will not work with Redpower tubes, the Tubestuff Autocrafting Table II will only let you extract from the top, MFR's Liquicrafter requires a redstone pulse in order to actually craft, and AE has its own set of difficulties that make it a poor choice for a simple job like this- mainly its cost.

Skyshayde

Jul 29, 2019
I am stuck with buildcraft, or computercraft auto crafting sadly. the Computer controlled crafter from misc peripherals looks nice, but I have dont really know how to use it, I will certainly work on it though.

Sam6555

Jul 29, 2019
I made an Enderman shard the other day on my server and initially had it in a quicksand thing so they'd get stuck and suffocate. However I made other shards so I wanted to convert the Enderman chamber into a fall death chamber for other stuff. But when I put the ender shard 45 blocks above the floor, the Enderman were teleporting as soon as they spawned. Some fell and died, but most ported.

Is there a way to prevent this from happening or an I forced to use the quicksand method?

Peppe

Jul 29, 2019
I made an Enderman shard the other day on my server and initially had it in a quicksand thing so they'd get stuck and suffocate. However I made other shards so I wanted to convert the Enderman chamber into a fall death chamber for other stuff. But when I put the ender shard 45 blocks above the floor, the Enderman were teleporting as soon as they spawned. Some fell and died, but most ported.

Is there a way to prevent this from happening or an I forced to use the quicksand method?

Put a roof over the top. Use solid blocks of some type.

They teleport during the day with line of site to the sky.

Shenzo

Jul 29, 2019
I made a few constructions on a mystcraft age a few days ago but when i came back today the age had reseted. Nothing that i build was there but the lava blocks that were pumped out was missing. Is that normal ou a rare bug? I play i a server with friendsand i don't have much access to the files
the age was a single lava ocean biome eternal storm and crystals

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
In forestry, what is the Adventurers backpack used for? I made a selection of each to see what would be automatically gathered, and after a couple days of adventuring, exploring/looting the world, the pack was empty.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
In forestry, what is the Adventurers backpack used for? I made a selection of each to see what would be automatically gathered, and after a couple days of adventuring, exploring/looting the world, the pack was empty.
You have to edit the config file to define a list of the items that it can hold.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Ah. Can I do the same with the other backpacks too then? Noticed some items not going into packs that I would have classed as suitable objects.

Greyed

Jul 29, 2019
Ah. Can I do the same with the other backpacks too then? Noticed some items not going into packs that I would have classed as suitable objects.

Correct. Senghir can't keep up with all the items in all the mods, but made a darn fine effort to hit the major ones. :)

Peeta

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry to bother you guys again =/ My MFR tree farm is working great, however, the cows I use for industrial fertilizer keep despawning (or glitching through their glass cage). If they're despawning, how do I stop this? Same thing with clipping, how do I stop them clipping out if that is what they're doing? Thanks D;

Bomb Bloke

Jul 29, 2019
Sounds like some age old vanilla bugs there. I gather domestic animals tend to wander into walls, suffocating themselves to death and occasionally glitching through.

Double layered walls seem to help, and crowding should be avoided.

Though frankly you're probably better off just producing a soul shard or some such and being done with the matter.