Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

wildc4rd

Jan 29, 2013
Did a poke into Reddit, and someone mentioned Thaumcraft's 'Arcane Lamps', which apparently cover a pretty decent area. You may also consider 'floating' your lights (Nitor doesn't require a supporting block, only a block during placement, for example.) A 15 meter ceiling in a modern warehouse would likely have suspended fluorescent lights (sawing any light-producing block gives you a multitude of aesthetic choices).
Nice one OniyaMCD, the Arcane Lamp was perfect. A few dozen of these scattered around have the building lit perfectly. I'm not sure how the secondary light source thing works with them, but it does!
(The irony is not lost, that in a high technology workshop, I had to resort to magic to light it.. lol)

OniyaMCD

Mar 30, 2015
Nice one OniyaMCD, the Arcane Lamp was perfect. A few dozen of these scattered around have the building lit perfectly. I'm not sure how the secondary light source thing works with them, but it does!
(The irony is not lost, that in a high technology workshop, I had to resort to magic to light it.. lol)

'Sufficiently advanced technology,' as Arthur C. Clarke would say. ;)

Redweevil

Jul 29, 2019
Can anyone explain how to use the pump from Industrial Foregoing in FTB Ultimate Reloaded? Without a range upgrade it works fine, draining the one block it can get, but as soon as I place a range addon it doesn't do anything.

S

Suntanned Duck2

@Redweevil What version of IF is in the pack? I'll take a look myself but it might be a bug with that version (if latest version then report it just encase) or just a conflict of some other kind of thing you have setup with the pump maybe...

Nuclear_Creeper0

Mar 30, 2017
I have a very simple question, what happened to the FTB forums? It's been over a year since we had a news post, the forums are kinda buggy, and the admins kinda disappeared.

S

Suntanned Duck2

@Nuclear_Creeper0 I think it's gotten a bit infrequent for responses/questions/thread creation or less busy or people just don't have much to say/moved to other places instead like Discord. I've seen a moderator at least not the admins so people are still around. No clue really, I noticed the same with the MCForums too but it's being moved to the Curseforge forums (my spectulation due to it looking similiar to a restructuring of it going on over there) so who knows when it comes to users over admins. Maybe the admins are working on Forge 1.13.2 or something big maybe for FTB. I don't know. When it comes to news I'm not sure since I've not been here long or know where many of the regular threads are... but I have my 1.14 mod update news thread I just created a few weeks ago (a continuation from MCForums work due to the MCForums being archived I had to move it somewhere and Fabric has a place on the FTB wiki so thought I've move here) but in terms of like 'whats new in modding' or otherwise yeah they have been a bit barren or infrequent it seems. Again I'm only spectulating/assuming as I have no clue.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
I have a very simple question, what happened to the FTB forums? It's been over a year since we had a news post, the forums are kinda buggy, and the admins kinda disappeared.

Even the FTB subreddit is fairly quiet, and that’s more of a general modded MC hub than these forums ever were. People seem to be hanging out in Discord since that’s an instant response.

I’ve been disconnected from everything for nearly a year, so this is just what I’ve seen in the last week. The people who have been here the whole time probably have a better idea than I do.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Certainly here, there were some major issues with spam posts for a long time, though those really seem to have tailed off. Those of us invested in the Forum Games are still having a great time with it though. But as Pad said, Discord seems to be a popular place - I'm using it a lot at the moment as well. People who accidentally ask about a 3rd party pack in the FTB pacls bit here tend to basically be told "go ask somewhere else", which - while technically correct - is not exactly welcoming or friendly.

OniyaMCD

Mar 30, 2015
Certainly here, there were some major issues with spam posts for a long time, though those really seem to have tailed off. Those of us invested in the Forum Games are still having a great time with it though. But as Pad said, Discord seems to be a popular place - I'm using it a lot at the moment as well. People who accidentally ask about a 3rd party pack in the FTB pacls bit here tend to basically be told "go ask somewhere else", which - while technically correct - is not exactly welcoming or friendly.

This. There used to be that whole section for third-party packs, listings for such. Then the Curse/Twitch launcher came up, and all of a sudden, *poof*. You still get some occasional poking in threads like Regrowth, but - otherwise, dead.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
That and the forum games threads - they're still going ;)

How are we feeling about the state of modded Minecraft? In particular it's stability? It feels to me like 1.12 is another plateau - which is a very good thing. If folks stick with it, it'll have time to continue to grow a good base of mature mods. The big stumbling block to me seems to be the RAM requirements - 1.10+ just seems to really suck up that RAM.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
That and the forum games threads - they're still going ;)

How are we feeling about the state of modded Minecraft? In particular it's stability? It feels to me like 1.12 is another plateau - which is a very good thing. If folks stick with it, it'll have time to continue to grow a good base of mature mods. The big stumbling block to me seems to be the RAM requirements - 1.10+ just seems to really suck up that RAM.

My most recent 1.12-based server has been by far the most stable minecraft server I've ever run. Some of this is learning the tricks of the trade over time, but a lot of it comes form 1.12 itself being just about as stable as it's ever been (or at least as far as I've seen). It does look like we have a plateau here.

I mostly have jsut been running the classic mods, the mod set that at this point I'd consider "vanilla" modded. Your openblocks, exu2, AA, enderio type mods and I'm here to say that ALL of these are running their best versions on 1.12 right now. I don't know that it's possible to top 1.7.10 on the all-time best eras (largely due to nostalgia glasses, you just can't complete), but 1.12 is easily the second highest peak on Modded Minecraft Mountain and at this point, I wouldn't be surprised if it remains the primary platform for quite some time. As more and more of the original mod authors move on to other projects/in life, I can't see them constantly rewriting everything forever. Any future Microsoft-based updates really just aren't important enough to uproot everything, IMO.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
My most recent 1.12-based server has been by far the most stable minecraft server I've ever run. Some of this is learning the tricks of the trade over time, but a lot of it comes form 1.12 itself being just about as stable as it's ever been (or at least as far as I've seen). It does look like we have a plateau here.

I mostly have jsut been running the classic mods, the mod set that at this point I'd consider "vanilla" modded. Your openblocks, exu2, AA, enderio type mods and I'm here to say that ALL of these are running their best versions on 1.12 right now. I don't know that it's possible to top 1.7.10 on the all-time best eras (largely due to nostalgia glasses, you just can't complete), but 1.12 is easily the second highest peak on Modded Minecraft Mountain and at this point, I wouldn't be surprised if it remains the primary platform for quite some time. As more and more of the original mod authors move on to other projects/in life, I can't see them constantly rewriting everything forever. Any future Microsoft-based updates really just aren't important enough to uproot everything, IMO.
I'm totally with you on this :)

Reactions: Drbretto

Sage of Souls

Jul 29, 2019
I have a question regarding Mystcraft. Mystcraft has the tendency to keep going up in count when creating new ages. Now, I know it's possible to mark ages as "dead" for deletion and overwriting, but is it possible to move ages that I don't want to delete down in the list? For example, my Mining World is Age 8. What if I want to move this to Age 3; is it possible? I read somewhere that you should just be able to rename the folder and the .dat file to the new number, but when I tried this, my server would crash and restart without generating a crash log. Did I miss a step or do something wrong?

Heineken

Jul 29, 2019
What are tools and blocks anyone recommends to start grinding when starting a new world on FTB Revelations?
Like for Energy and making tools

wildc4rd

Jan 29, 2013
Back again!

I did ask about this on the discord, but I'll cross post here to a different audience as I'm yet to see an answer. I'm playing the Infinity Evolved pack and am about to step up my RF production, I already have a Big Reactor and a single turbine pumping out about 23k RF/t, but am going to set up 4 max size turbines now so need a high volume of steam from a reactor.

Basically my question is this, I'm using Gelid Cryotheum in the reactor currently, as I was using it to output power directly. When using it to make steam though, it makes little sense to be 'cooling' it internally with the Cryotheum, so is there a better material to fill it with for steam production. Am I just overthinking this and its still the right material for optimum steam output?

Thanks in advance.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Back again!

I did ask about this on the discord, but I'll cross post here to a different audience as I'm yet to see an answer. I'm playing the Infinity Evolved pack and am about to step up my RF production, I already have a Big Reactor and a single turbine pumping out about 23k RF/t, but am going to set up 4 max size turbines now so need a high volume of steam from a reactor.

Basically my question is this, I'm using Gelid Cryotheum in the reactor currently, as I was using it to output power directly. When using it to make steam though, it makes little sense to be 'cooling' it internally with the Cryotheum, so is there a better material to fill it with for steam production. Am I just overthinking this and its still the right material for optimum steam output?

Thanks in advance.
It seems like an odd situation, but if I'm remembering correctly the cryotheum and/or liquid ender is still the best solution, as its effectively "moderating" the reactor too, allowing more neutrons to be captured, or somesuch ;)

Same as you'd do normally, and then have water going into your fluid input hatches (or whatever they're called) and steam coming out and you're good. Rate of steam transfer is more of an issue than anything, in my experience, which is why I've gotten into the habit of placing the reactor output blocks adjacent to the turbine input blocks, and vice versa.

wildc4rd

Jan 29, 2013
It seems like an odd situation, but if I'm remembering correctly the cryotheum and/or liquid ender is still the best solution, as its effectively "moderating" the reactor too, allowing more neutrons to be captured, or somesuch ;)

Same as you'd do normally, and then have water going into your fluid input hatches (or whatever they're called) and steam coming out and you're good. Rate of steam transfer is more of an issue than anything, in my experience, which is why I've gotten into the habit of placing the reactor output blocks adjacent to the turbine input blocks, and vice versa.
In a game where you can cut a tree down by punching it, I'm comfortable with odd, I'll crack on with Cryotheum for now then. Yeah, I was going to build a central reactor and have the 4 turbines flanking it for better transfer (was going to build a 'cross' but my current facility doesn't have room for that...) Thanks!

wildc4rd

Jan 29, 2013
(Few week old pic) I went for an 'Out to sea' base this time, with everything on pillars from the seabed. Was great right up until I keep running out of space for reactors/turbines to feed my MFR laser habit...

90LkAsS.jpg