Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Yuka

Jul 29, 2019
Speaking of turtles, is there a way to program them to mine/ excavate as they would normally, but while avoiding diamond blocks?
Other than for getting one's first few needed diamonds, I find it a bit of a waste to mine diamonds with anything but a Fortune Pick. :p

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
If there's a will, there's a way.
Yes there's a way, but I have no idea how :p
Useful for Thorium producing Coal Ore, or Glowstone producing Redstone Ore. One quarry "OreQuarry" has the ability to ignore any of whatever material you put in a slot. So if you had a stack of diamond ore blocks, you'd be all set!

By that time, you wouldn't need a few first diamonds, so I guess that's not the most helpful thing...:D

Reactions: Yuka

Peppe

Jul 29, 2019
Turtles Can compare an item in their inventory to the blocks around them. So you can write your digging program to avoid any blocks you like. You will need silk touch to get a diamond ore block to use as your compare block.

Reactions: Yuka

Yuka

Jul 29, 2019
Interesting, good thing I do have a Silk Touch diamond pick, so I just need to find another diamond vein and find the program to do so.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Must admit, your post made me laugh, and though it gave me the weird feeling I was being bribed into buying something, you have a great idea. I will look into it, and thanks for the reply. :) A picture of the set up would save me some time, but I have no problem, going off of text. Could this set up be stringed together with, say 2 redwoods? 3? 4?
I couldn't tell you about redwoods, because my computer was lagging hard when I was trying to do the redwood test. My computer sucks. :(
But I ran a test for you, and here's the setup I used.
Shot one of the setup. This shows the top bits(and that I was doing a quick test in creative). If your machines aren't facing inwards, whack 'em with a hammer(or a Omni-Wrench if you have one) until they do. But the working face is away from you when you place them, so it's easier to get right assuming you face the direction your stuff will be growing.
Here's the planter, ready for action. Note, I derped and forgot how chests work, so that obsidian chest was pointless. Just get your saplings back in there to use them somehow.
This used to be 64 normal oak saplings.
I can also say that what results I did get out of the redwood test indicate that redwoods drop a Metric Fuckload of saplings. I had 64 redwood logs after it died. And 32 redwood saplings. It ran one cycle.
Oh god yes, use redwoods. Use them and never look back.
EDIT: Also, I enjoy making people laugh, and I am certain I was a slick used car salesman in a past life, because holy shit, I really know how to make a sales pitch.

Reactions: WAFFLE OF WAR

WAFFLE OF WAR

Jul 29, 2019
I couldn't tell you about redwoods, because my computer was lagging hard when I was trying to do the redwood test. My computer sucks. :(
But I ran a test for you, and here's the setup I used.
Shot one of the setup. This shows the top bits(and that I was doing a quick test in creative). If your machines aren't facing inwards, whack 'em with a hammer(or a Omni-Wrench if you have one) until they do. But the working face is away from you when you place them, so it's easier to get right assuming you face the direction your stuff will be growing.
Here's the planter, ready for action. Note, I derped and forgot how chests work, so that obsidian chest was pointless. Just get your saplings back in there to use them somehow.
This used to be 64 normal oak saplings.
I can also say that what results I did get out of the redwood test indicate that redwoods drop a Metric Fuckload of saplings. I had 64 redwood logs after it died. And 32 redwood saplings. It ran one cycle.
Oh god yes, use redwoods. Use them and never look back.
EDIT: Also, I enjoy making people laugh, and I am certain I was a slick used car salesman in a past life, because holy shit, I really know how to make a sales pitch.
Awesome! If I ever need to sell something, you'd be the guy I contact first! Yes, redwoods do drop at least a metric fuckload of saplings. ;P haha, love that one... anyways, so the planter goes under the center block, like DIRECTLY below it, correct? And the saplings can go in any corner? It's a 2x2 to grow a redwood and it's a 3x3 platform so how's that work exactly?

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Awesome! If I ever need to sell something, you'd be the guy I contact first! Yes, redwoods do drop at least a metric fuckload of saplings. ;P haha, love that one... anyways, so the planter goes under the center block, like DIRECTLY below it, correct? And the saplings can go in any corner? It's a 2x2 to grow a redwood and it's a 3x3 platform so how's that work exactly?
Yes, directly below the block of dirt goes the planter and the planter would take the work out of planting them yourself. But keep in mind, redwoods also take longer to grow(I think), so unless you're using the fertilizer(which I don't suggest using at first, they all use power but they will all do so quicker with a stocked fertilizer installed as it will grow it all super fast), that's more time between planting and harvesting, which is typically not ideal for power production on a effective scale. But assuming you're the kind of person who is bred for getting revenge*, redwoods are ideal due to their sapling drop rates and wood production.
*As everyone knows, Revenge is a dish best served cold. Meaning those bred for getting revenge are very patient. Like, insanely so. Insane to me, anyway. I have ADHD, so I can't consider waiting for the best moment to exact my revenge, so I just drink some iced tea and move on, enjoy some lolcats, and maybe check my Complete Bullshit Content Content Aggregator and continue having a good day.
EDIT: Oh, and thanks for the promise of possible future usage of my skills. I don't get enough chances in life to make sales pitches in any form, but when I do, I often get told I'm hard to disagree with.

WAFFLE OF WAR

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, directly below the block of dirt goes the planter and the planter would take the work out of planting them yourself. But keep in mind, redwoods also take longer to grow(I think), so unless you're using the fertilizer(which I don't suggest using at first, they all use power but they will all do so quicker with a stocked fertilizer installed as it will grow it all super fast), that's more time between planting and harvesting, which is typically not ideal for power production on a effective scale. But assuming you're the kind of person who is bred for getting revenge*, redwoods are ideal due to their sapling drop rates and wood production.
*As everyone knows, Revenge is a dish best served cold. Meaning those bred for getting revenge are very patient. Like, insanely so. Insane to me, anyway. I have ADHD, so I can't consider waiting for the best moment to exact my revenge, so I just drink some iced tea and move on, enjoy some lolcats, and maybe check my Complete Bullshit Content Content Aggregator and continue having a good day.
EDIT: Oh, and thanks for the promise of possible future usage of my skills. I don't get enough chances in life to make sales pitches in any form, but when I do, I often get told I'm hard to disagree with.
In that case, allow me to pick your brain a little; I've got a quarry running right now, and I spent 3 days in Hell collecting the stuff I needed to make it and I'd be crushed if it blew up. I want to run it all the time, but I don't want to check it every 5 mins to check that it hasn't finished and by stirling engines wont explode. Any ideas?

seanbrockest

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a /butcher command that works on bats? My world has spawned a lot of them, and i need them gone.

Easiest way?

WAFFLE OF WAR

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a /butcher command that works on bats? My world has spawned a lot of them, and i need them gone.

Easiest way?
If you want to have some fun with it, I recommend a mining laser... As far as I know, there isn't a command, but I'm the LAST person you'd want to ask advice on that subject haha. But maybe the melee turtles could help? Or maybe a good old fashioned sword is the way to go.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019

Easiest way?

Flame thrower.

No really Wand of fire.

Or wand of ligthning.

Or portal turrents.

Or golems with there bow upgrade.

Or forcefeild with mob killing.

Or ....

Schpoon

Jul 29, 2019
Speaking of turtles, wonder if you guys can help me.

I want a turtle that mines cracked sand ONLY and desposits it into an ender chest nearby. How do i go about setting this up?

Need to get my tnt reserves up!

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
Speaking of turtles, wonder if you guys can help me.

I want a turtle that mines cracked sand ONLY and desposits it into an ender chest nearby. How do i go about setting this up?

Need to get my tnt reserves up!

Your best bet is going to be using a quarry on a wasteland area, and just stopping it. Turtles can be complicated to code, so if you do want to go down that path, read on...

The turtle is going to need to check every block that it is mining to detect if it is cracked sand. To do this, you will want to fill the first slot (top-left) of the turtle with a cracked sand. From there, have your turtle do a standard mining pattern (or go for a three level at once pattern if you want to increase possibly efficiency a bit) and just include a compare command in your code.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
In that case, allow me to pick your brain a little; I've got a quarry running right now, and I spent 3 days in Hell collecting the stuff I needed to make it and I'd be crushed if it blew up. I want to run it all the time, but I don't want to check it every 5 mins to check that it hasn't finished and by stirling engines wont explode. Any ideas?
Well, first off, you need to chunk load it. There are a couple choices for chunkloaders in Ultimate. First is the Personal Chunk Loader from Railcraft. It's slightly cheaper then the other railcraft chunk loader, but only works while you're logged in. In SSP, the benefits of using this system is that you save diamonds. The downside? I recall something about them not reloading the chunks when you log back in, but once they are loader any other way, you're golden. Does this apply in SSP? I have no fucking clue. But I don't suggest risking it. Second choice is the Railcraft Chunk Loader. S'aight. Sits in one place, consumes fuel, but works when the server resets(I think), so there's very little reason not to to splurge if you're playing SMP and don't want the next few options for some reason. Next is the Code Chicken Chunk Loader. Not cheap in my opinion, but really, none of these are. But it doesn't consume fuel, and works very well in all known situations, has a 100% not buggy guaranty from CC herself(very well bugtested, and if you find a bug somehow, report it and CC will fix 'dat shit like they fix Registered Sex Offenders in 'Murica, fucking chemical sterilization), and even works with RP2 Frames. Yes, you can use them on your massive automated World Eater Frame Monster MK DCLXVI and it'll work.
Next is the most exotic example, and a strange one at that. The Chunkloading Turtle. Yes, a chunk loading Turtle. As in ComputerCraft. Dear gods, help us.
A vastly overpriced example is the Chunk Loader Module from Steves Carts. Dear god, why. Just, why. Not a question. Just, why.

Oh, and there's also the one I'd suggest for you, the Spot Loader, from Code Chicken. Craft a Code Chicken Chunk Loader, then place that in a crafting grid. You now have a bunch of spot loaders. They load exactly one chunk. Actually, right, you're using a BC Quarry. You'd want a normal Code Chicken Chunk Loader, because frames take up more then one chunk.

Next up is preventing your Stiring Engines from exploding. You have a few choices. Most of which involve replacing them with other kinds of engines. The most complex solution is to craft some decent gates with a Project Table(or whatever the thing which you use BC Lasers to craft them with is) and set them to turn off when they hit red engine level. It's also the least complex as well, since it depends on the BC Laser Table Crafting Station, which if you have already set up, is easy to use. But if not, it's needlessly hard to set up. Well, not really, but you need a lot of BC power to use it, so Stirling Engines wouldn't cut it.
Next, replace those crappy Stirling Engines with either the TE Steam Engine, or the RC Hobbyist Steam Engine, as both are better in terms of MJ produced, and lack of exploding if left running. But in that case it's the pipes that might explode, so you'd need conduits, etc etc, so I'll just say this: Unless you have gates for your engines, vanilla BC is unforgiving as GregTech hard mode. Energy being produced with no where to go? Shit explodes. Left your Stirling engine running for a while? Shit explodes. Building gates so you can prevent things from exploding? Well guess what? You have to power that sucker with BC power from somewhere... Yup, Shit Explodes.
Do yourself a massive favor and get into T2 BC energy with Thermal Expansion. Helps cut down on all the explosions. If you can't afford that, you need gates, which cost a lot as well. Basically, without either:
  • Gates, which require a highly advanced BC setup
  • Redstone Energy Conduits and Better Engines
  • Or just using Power Converters to make BC Power from something else(like IC2 EU) and directly pump that into your machine
You're shit tends to explode after a bit with BC.
I used to have some links to TVTropes in this post, but I learned my lesson already as I clicked one to find a another trope I was going to link, and I lost 30 minutes
of my life.

WAFFLE OF WAR

Jul 29, 2019
Why is it that, just now, when I saved and exited my world, I almost shat myself as a huge picture of Nyan Cat appeared on my screen in place of the FTB main menu back ground?

WAFFLE OF WAR

Jul 29, 2019
Well, first off, you need to chunk load it. There are a couple choices for chunkloaders in Ultimate. First is the Personal Chunk Loader from Railcraft. It's slightly cheaper then the other railcraft chunk loader, but only works while you're logged in. In SSP, the benefits of using this system is that you save diamonds. The downside? I recall something about them not reloading the chunks when you log back in, but once they are loader any other way, you're golden. Does this apply in SSP? I have no fucking clue. But I don't suggest risking it. Second choice is the Railcraft Chunk Loader. S'aight. Sits in one place, consumes fuel, but works when the server resets(I think), so there's very little reason not to to splurge if you're playing SMP and don't want the next few options for some reason. Next is the Code Chicken Chunk Loader. Not cheap in my opinion, but really, none of these are. But it doesn't consume fuel, and works very well in all known situations, has a 100% not buggy guaranty from CC herself(very well bugtested, and if you find a bug somehow, report it and CC will fix 'dat shit like they fix Registered Sex Offenders in 'Murica, fucking chemical sterilization), and even works with RP2 Frames. Yes, you can use them on your massive automated World Eater Frame Monster MK DCLXVI and it'll work.
Next is the most exotic example, and a strange one at that. The Chunkloading Turtle. Yes, a chunk loading Turtle. As in ComputerCraft. Dear gods, help us.
A vastly overpriced example is the Chunk Loader Module from Steves Carts. Dear god, why. Just, why. Not a question. Just, why.

Oh, and there's also the one I'd suggest for you, the Spot Loader, from Code Chicken. Craft a Code Chicken Chunk Loader, then place that in a crafting grid. You now have a bunch of spot loaders. They load exactly one chunk. Actually, right, you're using a BC Quarry. You'd want a normal Code Chicken Chunk Loader, because frames take up more then one chunk.

Next up is preventing your Stiring Engines from exploding. You have a few choices. Most of which involve replacing them with other kinds of engines. The most complex solution is to craft some decent gates with a Project Table(or whatever the thing which you use BC Lasers to craft them with is) and set them to turn off when they hit red engine level. It's also the least complex as well, since it depends on the BC Laser Table Crafting Station, which if you have already set up, is easy to use. But if not, it's needlessly hard to set up. Well, not really, but you need a lot of BC power to use it, so Stirling Engines wouldn't cut it.
Next, replace those crappy Stirling Engines with either the TE Steam Engine, or the RC Hobbyist Steam Engine, as both are better in terms of MJ produced, and lack of exploding if left running. But in that case it's the pipes that might explode, so you'd need conduits, etc etc, so I'll just say this: Unless you have gates for your engines, vanilla BC is unforgiving as GregTech hard mode. Energy being produced with no where to go? Shit explodes. Left your Stirling engine running for a while? Shit explodes. Building gates so you can prevent things from exploding? Well guess what? You have to power that sucker with BC power from somewhere... Yup, Shit Explodes.
Do yourself a massive favor and get into T2 BC energy with Thermal Expansion. Helps cut down on all the explosions. If you can't afford that, you need gates, which cost a lot as well. Basically, without either:
  • Gates, which require a highly advanced BC setup
  • Redstone Energy Conduits and Better Engines
  • Or just using Power Converters to make BC Power from something else(like IC2 EU) and directly pump that into your machine
You're shit tends to explode after a bit with BC.

I used to have some links to TVTropes in this post, but I learned my lesson already as I clicked one to find a another trope I was going to link, and I lost 30 minutes
of my life.
What's this chunk loading thing? What's that for? I also think it's funny that when you said "You're shit tends to explode after a bit with BC." You said "You are shit...". I laughed at that. The stirling engines wont explode as long as they are releasing more energy they are taking in, so how much coal or charcoal or whatever would I have to run on x amount of stirling engines to get a quarry as close to bedrock as possible without having to worry about shit exploding? ;P

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
Why is it that, just now, when I saved and exited my world, I almost shat myself as a huge picture of Nyan Cat appeared on my screen in place of the FTB main menu back ground?

You need to go to a doctor right now, because you may very well be in danger of dying of the durs if your first thought after shitting yourself is to post on a thread on the internet instead of going into the bathroom and cleaning yourself up.