Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Velotican

Jul 29, 2019
What's this chunk loading thing? What's that for?

Chunk loaders are a workaround for the way Minecraft's game engine works.

The world is split into "chunks" of blocks. To avoid the world becoming unplayable if the player(s) explore a lot, only the world chunks immediately around a player will load and the rest of the map is unloaded and idle. This has the effect of putting all the unloaded chunks in a wierd stasis. This doesn't affect vanilla Minecraft at all. Machinery made possible by mods can be utterly wrecked by this effect though, as it's possible to have half the system in stasis and the other half loaded. If, for example you use an engine that requires cooling, and your coolant is pumped in from a distance, if the pumping station is in unloaded stasis you will very rapidly run out of coolant even though there's nothing wrong with your system!

A chunk loader keeps the area around it loaded even when no players are around. As well as preventing the bizarre issue I just mentioned, it also allows your base machinery to stay running while you're out exploring, so they're well worth having even on single-player. :)

The one downside, of course, is that forcing more of the world to stay loaded also boosts your server's RAM usage.

Reactions: yayes2

Shaverman5000

Jul 29, 2019
What would be the easiest way to get emeralds? I want pages for lava lakes, and always day (so I can suck lava, and put my own infinitely expanding HV solar array) at the moment I've been using UU-M but I want to use it for my HV factory now (as its only being powered by like, 40 geos and 1HV right now)

If you go through some Hollow hills, you'll find emeralds. I promsie. Thats how I find'em. They're all over the twilight. I found some, (Rare) in some mountain like biomes in the overworld.

OmegaJasam

Jul 29, 2019
The largest hollow hills (The ones with wraith spawners) have emeralds among the stalagmites.
With a magic map to find them and some flight they're a pritty good method. (There is also usualy more gold/lapis then you kknow what to do with, a load of diamonds...)

OttoSoul

Jul 29, 2019
sup, just wondering. how do you fill a red stone energy cell quickly? i have 3 electric engines hooked up to one, and even that's slow as balls. and ideas?

Zjarek_S

Jul 29, 2019
Use better engines. For a start I'd go with a couple of biogas (5 MJ/t) or magmatic ones (4 MJ/t), when you get comfortable with gates you can go to combustion (one bucket of fuel equals one filled energy cell) or with good fuel production to boilers with steam engines.

iT5Contra

Jul 29, 2019
In the Ultimate pack, how does the game decided when Zombie Pig men should attack you for mining ores. Is it a certain range from you or is it if they can see you?

WAFFLE OF WAR

Jul 29, 2019
Looking at my NEI here, I can't fine the LV Transformer, but IC2 LV consumer/producers. Are these the same thing, or am I missing something?

Edit, I got it to work, but now I'm taking damage whenever I fuel the MFE. No copper cables are exploding and I'm using gold ones where it has to handle MV. What's injuring me?

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
In the Ultimate pack, how does the game decided when Zombie Pig men should attack you for mining ores. Is it a certain range from you or is it if they can see you?

When the ore exploads it seem to grab all in argo range (something like 32 blocks).

I hve not had any argo on me unless a ore blew up so there might be other factors i am not aware of.

WAFFLE OF WAR

Jul 29, 2019
Those are from the power converter pack I believe. Have you searched for "transformer" in NEI?
I just tried the recipe it gave on the wiki and it worked. But now I'm taking damage whenever I fuel the MFE. No copper cables are exploding and I'm using gold ones where it has to handle MV. What's injuring me?

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
I just tried the recipe it gave on the wiki and it worked. But now I'm taking damage whenever I fuel the MFE. No copper cables are exploding and I'm using gold ones where it has to handle MV. What's injuring me?

Are you cables insulated? You need to make sure all your cables are insulated. Otherwise they'll zap you.

gusmahler

Jul 29, 2019
I have 8 geothermal generators hooked up together and connected via a single 2x insulated gold cable to an MFSU. Since they each generate 20 EU/t, is there any advantage to separately connecting each bank of 4 to the MFSU (to avoid overloading the gold cable). Nothing blows up, so I guess it's safe. But I'm wondering if it's the most efficient way.

Same question on the other end of my system. I have my MFSU connected to an MV transformer, then to an LV transformer, then to a bank of 8 electric furnaces. Since each furnace takes 32 EU/t, am I overloading a single LV transformer by connecting them each to the same transformer? Again, nothing blows up, so it's safe. But I'm wondering if it's efficient.

The wiki says that an LV transformer can only transform 128 EU per tick. So does this mean my furnaces are only receiving half the power they are capable of?