Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

erindalc

Popular Member
Mar 3, 2015
Steam
Did anyone ever hear of Immersive cables disappearing across an entire server (Infinity Evolved Expert Mode v2.2.2)? How could this happen, and why? Mine were easy to replace but some players apparently basically had a spaghetti-style layout (LOL) and are suffering mightily right now.
Yes, I've had it happen to me as well. It's a known bug and only seems to happen across chunk borders.

Edit (forgot solution) chunk load the base in the future.

Sent from my Barrel of Fun using Tapatalk

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
No, I mean
Yes, I've had it happen to me as well. It's a known bug and only seems to happen across chunk borders.

Edit (forgot solution) chunk load the base in the future.

When I say "server-wide" I mean that every player has experienced the same thing suddenly - every Immersive Cable that was part of a power network disappeared. Every single cable on the entire server is gone. POOF. Everybody's bases are chunk loaded around the clock using Railcraft World Anchors.

Some of my cable runs (in fact most) were very short and didn't cross any chunk boundaries. A lot of my wiring is vertical and doesn't even cross a block boundary, and those are all gone too. So that doesn't seem to be the answer here. Something else happened. A server crash at a critical moment, perhaps? The sysop mentioned something about if the server crashes during a backup save. Who knows? That's why I'm asking. It's a big task to re-wire an entire base if you're using mostly all Immersive for your power source like some of the guys on our server are.

And while I'm at it... a pat on the back for myself, for being such a neat freak about my wiring that I had no problem figuring it all out. Some guys are pulling their hair out right now, they have no idea which wires were going where. LOL :D

Last edited:

erindalc

Popular Member
Mar 3, 2015
Steam
No, I mean

When I say "server-wide" I mean that every player has experienced the same thing suddenly - every Immersive Cable that was part of a power network disappeared. Every single cable on the entire server is gone. POOF. Everybody's bases are chunk loaded around the clock using Railcraft World Anchors.

Some of my cable runs (in fact most) were very short and didn't cross any chunk boundaries. A lot of my wiring is vertical and doesn't even cross a block boundary, and those are all gone too. So that doesn't seem to be the answer here. Something else happened. A server crash at a critical moment, perhaps? The sysop mentioned something about if the server crashes during a backup save. Who knows? That's why I'm asking. It's a big task to re-wire an entire base if you're using mostly all Immersive for your power source like some of the guys on our server are.

And while I'm at it... a pat on the back for myself, for being such a neat freak about my wiring that I had no problem figuring it all out. Some guys are pulling their hair out right now, they have no idea which wires were going where. LOL :D
Oh. That I've not heard of happening. I suggest posting a bug report on the IE github if a similar case isn't open. Relevant logs and circumstances are probably helpful.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
What is the best solution for making scrap boxes to feed a row of IC2 Mass Fabricators? I'm making Quantum Solars now so my Mass Fabs are hummin away but I cannot keep up with scrap box production. Currently I have 60 Recyclers each with 7 Overclocker Upgrades in them, being fed by 2 ExtraUtils cobblegen setups with each cobblegen Item Transfer Node having 3 stacks of World Interaction Upgrades. I'd fill em with 6 stacks each, but (a) In Infinity Evolved Expert Mode, that's a LOT of diamonds, and (b) I seem to be at my limit of piping the cobblestone to the rows of Recyclers despite having two Ender IO Item Conduit connections to the Diamond Chests of cobblestone each with the max 15 Speed Upgrades.

In past modpacks, I've had as many as 4 stacks (256) Recyclers going, but rather than going that route again, is there a better way? Maybe using AE2 Export Busses to feed them cobblestone will be faster than using Ender IO conduit? Before I make such a big change I'd like to know if it will help the situation.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
If you've got the power and infrastructure, are warp itemducts a possibility? They transfer instantly and putting a resonant retriever on each recycler's end would pull relatively quickly.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
No, I mean

Did IE or II update at all? I started using it when it was new, sometimes an update would make all the cables disappear. Also if I didn't save properly there was a chance of this happening.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Did IE or II update at all? I started using it when it was new, sometimes an update would make all the cables disappear. Also if I didn't save properly there was a chance of this happening.

We didn't update the modpack but we did just go thru a change of server providers. I think this is when it happened. The configs were set to retain too many backups and we apparently ran out of disk space on the new server/hard drive, at which point the server crashed (or who knows what it did). Simply deleting all the backup files solved the problem quickly, but I have a feeling Immersive cables were a bit too fragile for the situation. :D Nothing else seems out of order, thankfully. Just IE was impacted, and only the cables.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
If you can, set up a test to see if it's repeatable then raise a bug report to both the devs of Immersive Engineering and Immersive Integration. Also check if Infinity Evo is using the latest versions of both.
Such a bug would be crippling if your end game infrastructure was mostly wires.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
If you've got the power and infrastructure, are warp itemducts a possibility? They transfer instantly and putting a resonant retriever on each recycler's end would pull relatively quickly.

So even if I solve the problem of feeding the recyclers enough scrap, there is a definitive "point of no return" with the Overclocker Upgrades. Testing in a creative world showed me that I can put about 24 Overclockers into one Recycler before it just quits. I also had a Quantum Solar Panel touching each side except the front and bottom. LOL Even feeding it that much power (something like 16K EU/t), you can still run out of power at around the 24 overclocker point.

Anyone who has ever made the Overclocker Upgrades knows they're a real pain in the rear end, but it's either do that, and make a gazillion of those, or else spam a gazillion recyclers. Granted, the IC2 Recycler is ridiculously cheap to construct even in Infinity Expert Mode, but it's just the thought of spamming so many of one thing that's troubling. What does it do to the server, and the other players on it, if I have 256 Recyclers running with 24 Overclockers each? It's noisy, at the very least, I know that much. hahaha

There's gotta be a better way...... yes?

Last edited:

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
If you can, set up a test to see if it's repeatable then raise a bug report to both the devs of Immersive Engineering and Immersive Integration. Also check if Infinity Evo is using the latest versions of both.
Such a bug would be crippling if your end game infrastructure was mostly wires.

Agree with that last sentence, however we are most certainly not going to attempt to reproduce the problem (which, I remind you, was running out of hard drive space on the server we pay for LOL). It happened, and it hasn't re-happened (thankfully, yet), so we just move on. I had to post the question tho, and see if it's a common issue or not. To me, this now appears to be our error and not an error with the mod or the modpack. The discussion helped me arrive at this conclusion, so it's been helpful - thanks. I needed to put the pieces of the puzzle together.

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
So even if I solve the problem of feeding the recyclers enough scrap, there is a definitive "point of no return" with the Overclocker Upgrades. Testing in a creative world showed me that I can put about 24 Overclockers into one Recycler before it just quits. I also had a Quantum Solar Panel touching each side except the front and bottom. LOL Even feeding it that much power (something like 16K EU/t), you can still run out of power at around the 24 overclocker point.

Anyone who has ever made the Overclocker Upgrades knows they're a real pain in the rear end, but it's either do that, and make a gazillion of those, or else spam a gazillion recyclers. Granted, the IC2 Recycler is ridiculously cheap to construct even in Infinity Expert Mode, but it's just the thought of spamming so many of one thing that's troubling. What does it do to the server, and the other players on it, if I have 256 Recyclers running with 24 Overclockers each? It's noisy, at the very least, I know that much. hahaha

There's gotta be a better way...... yes?

One thing that might help is to install a few of the battery upgrades. This'll let you stuff more EU/t into the machine before it just quits... but on the other hand, this only helps if you can actually supply enough power to refill the recycler's entire unupgraded energy buffer every tick. If it starts stuttering at all, that means you aren't supplying enough power, so you're better off removing some overclockers.

If you're worried about power at all, you'll produce scrap faster by spamming more recyclers, and not using any overclockers at all (or using just one upgrade per recycler- there used to be a bug where that didn't increase the EU/t consumed, not sure if that's still the case). Overclockers increase the rate at which the machines produce items, but at the cost of increasing the power consumed faster, thus reducing the efficiency. But, if you're mass-producing quantum solars, you're probably more worried about space than power.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
when does infinity 2.3.3 go stable? I want it now

WE tried to load it up on our server, however apparently we're still running java 7 for Infinty v2.2.2 (it isn't my server) and v2.3.3 didn't work. Apparently, v2.3.3 requires java 8, and it won't run on java 7. Why is that? What mod was updated to cause that?

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
One thing that might help is to install a few of the battery upgrades. This'll let you stuff more EU/t into the machine before it just quits... but on the other hand, this only helps if you can actually supply enough power to refill the recycler's entire unupgraded energy buffer every tick. If it starts stuttering at all, that means you aren't supplying enough power, so you're better off removing some overclockers.

If you're worried about power at all, you'll produce scrap faster by spamming more recyclers, and not using any overclockers at all (or using just one upgrade per recycler- there used to be a bug where that didn't increase the EU/t consumed, not sure if that's still the case). Overclockers increase the rate at which the machines produce items, but at the cost of increasing the power consumed faster, thus reducing the efficiency. But, if you're mass-producing quantum solars, you're probably more worried about space than power.

Yeah, I'm def not worried about power with 8 Quantum Solars running now. :) It's not that I'm worried about the space required either. Space is infinite. :) What I'm worried about is server lag, and the effect that 300 Recyclers with 20 Overclockers in each one will have on other players. With 20 Overclockers, they basically run at a blur, and I'm pulling so much Cobblestone and pushing so much Scrap around, it MUST have a negative effect and cause lag on the server, no?

That's what I'm worried about. The trend in modded Minecraft was to try and eliminate these situations where we are forced to build massive, laggy creations just to get a job done. Unfortunately, IC2 was never "trendy" and never will be. LOL Don't get me wrong, I love the mod... but being forced to spam a gazillion recyclers and overclockers isn't good.

But I guess there's just no other way, eh?

LeQwasd

Jul 29, 2019
Question:
Will changing my minecraft avatar name (in minecraft.net site) will affect my savegames? Particularly interested in answer for regrowth modpack.

erindalc

Popular Member
Mar 3, 2015
Steam
Question:
Will changing my minecraft avatar name (in minecraft.net site) will affect my savegames? Particularly interested in answer for regrowth modpack.
Maybe? It might affect your Thaumcraft research. I've of it potentially affecting other things as well.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Question:
It depends on how certain mods link to your save data, either by username (which is mutable) or by your underlying GUID (which is immutable). If its the former, then you might lose some things, but if its the latter, you should be fine. If its somehow both...its hard to tell, but if the designer is halfway competent, they'll check against the latter first since its the most reliable and, again, never changes no matter how often you change your username. At worst, you might need to use something to copy over your old data and link it up to your new name.