Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Are you sure it's not just that you were physically further from caves that could spawn things, and thus potentially out of range of them? As far as I know, the mob spawning pool is only biome-dependent, and biomes go from bedrock to sky (disregarding Mystcraft ages with floating other-biome islands).
I've heard of both theories, hence my consternation.
:(

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Are you sure it's not just that you were physically further from caves that could spawn things, and thus potentially out of range of them? As far as I know, the mob spawning pool is only biome-dependent, and biomes go from bedrock to sky (disregarding Mystcraft ages with floating other-biome islands).

I don't have enough experience building them, but I did watch several posts on another forum from people who make several mob spawners per world, and they always said never to go above 128 unless you planned on building to the height limit due to the way spawning works. They backed this up with some serious testing and apparently checking the spawning code.

Like I said though, I don't know is this was actually true, or if it's outdated at this point. I'll see if I can find some of those posts though.

Narc

Jul 29, 2019
Like I said though, I don't know is this was actually true, or if it's outdated at this point. I'll see if I can find some of those posts though.
I'd be equally happy to be pointed in the direction of the code. This is fascinating!

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013

Actually looks like you were right, and I was on outdated info if I read these below links correctly. Not the same ones I was talking about, but they cover pretty much everything.
That is acceptable.

(really though: #bestfrenz4ever)

Here's some links; other than the differences caused by BTW (minimal ones at that), they should be helpful:
Link 1
Link 2

Shouldn't be a difference with this one:
And Minecraft Wiki
I'd be equally happy to be pointed in the direction of the code. This is fascinating!

You'll want to take a close look at what FC says in that second link then. Not sure if he goes into detail (skimmed the thread) but he knows what he's talking about when it comes to spawn code in MC.

einsteinsci

Jul 29, 2019
You should be able to find somewhere where you can see the Anti-Builders (or at least one of them), then smash it. If you can't see any of the anti-builders, you can try smashing an anti-built block and walking (or glitching, as the case may be) through it before it gets replaced.
And yeah, some of these mazes and things were added after the towers were initially. When I first explored one, there were big rooms with timber mazes, the Tower Builder things, and lots of smaller rooms with nothing in them save lots of beetles, maze slimes, WIP golems, and vanilla mobs.

Looks like you are supposed to break them. Thanks!

Narc

Jul 29, 2019
You'll want to take a close look at what FC says in that second link then. Not sure if he goes into detail (skimmed the thread) but he knows what he's talking about when it comes to spawn code in MC.
Nice. I've been peeking at what I think is the authoritative source and it's... well, let's just say the deobfuscation process didn't help it very much.

Looking at the early parts of net.minecraft.world.SpawnerAnimals.findChunksForSpawning(), though, the first thing that is obvious is that Minecraft won't consider spawning anything in chunks that are further than a 17x17 chunk radius of a player (so, a 272x256x272 cuboid centered on the middle of the chunk the player is in).

Beyond that, there's a hunk of code later that goes
Code:
if (par1WorldServer.getClosestPlayer((double)f, (double)f1, (double)f2, 24.0D) == null)
-- if a player is closer than a 24 block radius, it will not spawn the entity. Oddly, what I'm *not* seeing is any limiter on being too *far* from a player. The next hunk of code checks for distance from world spawn less than sqrt(576) == 24 blocks and, again, refuses the spawn there.

I thought maybe canCreatureTypeSpawnAtLocation would say something, but that's only concerned with the blocks around (for water creatures, is there liquid? Otherwise, does the block material have a solid top surface? If so, does it allow spawning, is it not bedrock, and are there two air-like blocks above the spawn block?). There are calls out to other interesting methods, though (including asking through the Forge event bus if anything can spawn at the given location), so maybe there's something in there. At the moment, though, I see no reason not to believe that mobs can spawn anywhere in the aforementioned cuboid with a 24-radius sphere cut out around the player.

This is, perhaps, getting slightly off-topic for "simple" answers, though.

Edit: Oh, and Minecraft wiki has the rest of the answer:
However, hostile mobs (and some others) that move farther than 128 blocks from any player will soon despawn (see Despawning), so even with a larger chunk loading radius, the mob spawning area is more-or-less limited to spheres with a radius of 128 blocks, centered at each player.

Reactions: Padfoote

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Edit: Oh, and Minecraft wiki has the rest of the answer:
However, hostile mobs (and some others) that move farther than 128 blocks from any player will soon despawn (see Despawning), so even with a larger chunk loading radius, the mob spawning area is more-or-less limited to spheres with a radius of 128 blocks, centered at each player.
Well then, I'll build a spawner some 60 blocks above my base and pray. I'll keep it simple: just a spawning box with no trapdoor/water mechanic just yet. I just want to see how much stuff spawns up there.

Reactions: Narc

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Might be succulent. If you can find them afterwards :p

Tried blocking over Resonant ender with sand in my creative test world once. Ended up with sand blocks strewn out over the immediate area.

Interesting. Would this work with activated TNT?

I was thinking about designing a redstone system to produce a random rain of TNT, if this works I may not have to.

Narc

Jul 29, 2019
Interesting. Would this work with activated TNT?

I was thinking about designing a redstone system to produce a random rain of TNT, if this works I may not have to.
Should do -- active TNT is an entity, just like falling sand, so unless it's explicitly disallowed (which it shouldn't be)... Just remember to channel the falling TNT into the resonant ender -- it likes to bounce sideways.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Should do -- active TNT is an entity, just like falling sand, so unless it's explicitly disallowed (which it shouldn't be)... Just remember to channel the falling TNT into the resonant ender -- it likes to bounce sideways.

Wicked.

I think I might also need to blastproof my entire base.

Random is as random does.

Reactions: Narc

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Wicked.

I think I might also need to blastproof my entire base.

Random is as random does.
Think it has a fairly small range. Like 16-32 blocks or so.
You can test it out by just stepping into the ender and you will get teleported.

It might possible be using the Enderman teleport algorithm or something similar.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Think it has a fairly small range. Like 16-32 blocks or so.
You can test it out by just stepping into the ender and you will get teleported.

It might possible be using the Enderman teleport algorithm or something similar.

Good to know.

To take it a bit route 1, just go somewhere distant, make one puddle of resonant ender with a dispenser above it, surrounded by obsidian.

Fill dispenser with TNT.
Wireless repeater -> Monostable circuit -> rapid pulser.

Push button, receive TNT storm.

Sigma85

Jul 29, 2019
Good to know.

To take it a bit route 1, just go somewhere distant, make one puddle of resonant ender with a dispenser above it, surrounded by obsidian.

Fill dispenser with TNT.
Wireless repeater -> Monostable circuit -> rapid pulser.

Push button, receive TNT storm.
I would love to see a video of this ! lol

No one

Jul 29, 2019
Is there anything that determines a MAC's speed? Or does it craft at the same speed regardless of anything?

Succubism

Jul 29, 2019
So this binding ritual isn't working.

a1aa4df450.png

I've got a Magician Orb with over 80k LP, the divination whatever's got Binding Ritual activated, but when I right click the master ritual block it tells me I'm too weak.

Any ideas?