Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
You're missing Clear Modifiers at the end; it's also very hard to completely eliminate instability, at present. I'd pull Villages, Ravines and Caves completely, and add a negative surface modifier since in theory you'll always be underground anyway.

But yeah, you totally need Clear Modifiers as the final page.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Reactions: Makin911

Vulcan_Legend

Jul 29, 2019
What would yield a stable good mining age?

i'm trying to make one.

this is as far as i have come for now

Extreme hills
Single biome
Flat
Zenith
Zero length
Normal sun
Sky color
Cyan
Normal Weather
Normal Moon
Normal Stars
Villages, Ravines, Caves, mineshafts, Strongholds

is that the correct setup or is it missing something?

I would also try to add a dense ores page if you have it but it may cause some instability

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
I'd have to double check later, but if they're what I think, they're special glasses from Open Blocks. You will also note there are 16 colored glasses and 16 colored crayons from Open Blocks. While using a specific colored glasses and the same color crayon, you can "draw" blocks that you can only see/interact with when wearing the glasses of the same color as the crayon.

I believe the Amazing Techincolor Glasses allow you to see all colors of crayon blocks at once.
I should add that while the individual colors of glasses from OpenBlocks let you interact with, as well as see, blocks placed by crayons, the Amazing Technicolor Glasses don't. You can see the blocks, but will walk right through them.

What would yield a stable good mining age?

i'm trying to make one.

this is as far as i have come for now

Extreme hills
Single biome
Flat
Zenith
Zero length
Normal sun
Sky color
Cyan
Normal Weather
Normal Moon
Normal Stars

You'll want to put the Cyan page before the Sky Color page- that way, your sky will be cyan, rather than something else that takes a color modifier, such as Normal Stars.

You might also want to put the last five pages (Villages, Ravines, etc.) before the Flat page, although I don't know if that makes any difference.

In Mystcraft, modifiers (such as colors, lengths, directions, and biomes) must precede the pages they modify. The way you've set up your book, the Sky Color page will see that it doesn't have any modifiers, so it will choose a color at random. The Cyan page will then fall through to the next page in the book that takes a color modifier, which will probably be Normal Stars. So you'll wind up with some weirdly-colored sky and cyan stars that you'll never see because eternal day.

Last I heard (a while back, but shortly after some major changes, so things might not have changed since), not specifying things does not directly cause instability- but if the random number generator picks some unstable symbol or combination thereof (such as Diamond Ore, Dense Ores, or Single Biome and three different biomes), you'll get instability.
Also, Clear Modifiers no longer picks up all your dangling modifiers (which I don't think you have in the first place), and now also causes instability- so you might be better off without it.

Do note that anything you don't specify will be randomized, you your age might end up with red trees, blue grass, green fog, and orange clouds. These things shouldn't cause any instability at all, however- they just look weird.

Reactions: Tristam Izumi

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Extreme hills
Single biome
Flat
Zenith
Zero length
Normal sun
Sky color
Cyan
Normal Weather
Normal Moon
Normal Stars

Cyan needs to be before Sky Colour. Also you should insert Stone and Water pages before Flat, otherwise you might end up with a dirt world. I think adding more stuff like a grass colour and a leaves colour might help reduce randomness. Length, direction, and position modifiers for your stars and moon also. Basically, the more "stuff" you add, the less randomness there will be. Any time something is not defined, it adds something random which might mess up something else. For example, if you don't specify the moon length, you might end up with an additional biome added. At least that's my understanding, I may be over-stating the scope of the randomness, but the general principle is "the more good stuff you add, the less bad stuff happens".

Last edited:

ReaperGuy666

Jul 29, 2019
Since Binnie567 recently updated his Binnis Core Mod to 1.6.4, is there any chance of getting it added to the Direwolf20 1.6.4 modpack?

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
Isnt there a thread about Magicfarm2 where I could discuss balance questions? I found it once and now cant find it anywhere. Id like to find out if adding ars magica 2 to the pack would ruin the balance that Jaded wanted to set down. Is ars magica similar to thaumcraft balancewise?

John.E

Dec 18, 2013
Doral, FL
Isnt there a thread about Magicfarm2 where I could discuss balance questions? I found it once and now cant find it anywhere. Id like to find out if adding ars magica 2 to the pack would ruin the balance that Jaded wanted to set down. Is ars magica similar to thaumcraft balancewise?

Do you maybe mean Jaded's Magic Farm thread:
Home > Forums > Streamers and Youtubers > Streamers > Jadedcat > Magic Farm Modpack

Reactions: zorn

totte1015

Jul 29, 2019
I've had a look and I can't find one. There's a setting "Enable Auto-Smelt and Fortune interaction", but that's the only auto-smelt related config that I can find. I think a blacklist would be an excellent idea, I assume you're getting Carbon from OpenPeripheral? I can see how that would be really annoying. Sorry, I think you'll just have to use a non-auto-smelt pick or hammer to mine coal. I can't find Carbon in the OpenPeripheral config either so I can't see a way of disabling the item or the smelting recipe. Do you need OpenPeripheral? Could you disable the mod if it's an SSP world?
Hmm, what does OpenPerh...and so on actually do?

Neirin

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm, what does OpenPerh...and so on actually do?
Turns a ton of blocks into ComputerCraft peripherals and adds a few really neat features like a programable HUD. If you don't use ComputerCraft much you're probably safe to remove it.

totte1015

Jul 29, 2019
Turns a ton of blocks into ComputerCraft peripherals and adds a few really neat features like a programable HUD. If you don't use ComputerCraft much you're probably safe to remove it.
Ah, done, removed :3

I am really not a fan of ComputerCraft so its all cool, thanks

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
The MineCraft wiki says that F3+A re-loads the chunks around you, but that doesn't work for me. Is it a 1.7 thing? Is there any other way to re-load glitchy chunks in the 1.6 mod packs?

Tristam Izumi

Jul 29, 2019
The MineCraft wiki says that F3+A re-loads the chunks around you, but that doesn't work for me. Is it a 1.7 thing? Is there any other way to re-load glitchy chunks in the 1.6 mod packs?
It ought to work in 1.6. Another way is to change your video settings (like from Fancy to Fast), that forces the reloading of chunks (I think).

Redius

Jul 29, 2019
I'm trying to design a system that looks into an inventory, and if the inventory is empty, send one item from a different inventory into the empty inventory. I only want 1 item in the destination inventory at a time, and there will be a 45s (ish) delay from item entering, and item leaving destination inventory.

What's the best way to accomplish this? I was originally thinking BC pipes (shudder), but there's a travel time associated with the pipe movement, and I was getting multiple items in the destination inventory. So I was considering adding pipe wire and additional gates, (haven't tested in game to see if this will solve the problem), but I figured I'd come pick the brains of the FTB elite for cleaner/better/cooler ways to accomplish this task.

Thanks in advance!

deanec64

Jul 29, 2019
how can you best use a hungry node in any pack? parked my base right by a hungry node and might want to exploit it ;-) also in FTB magic farm 2. what way are there at all to quarry?

Tristam Izumi

Jul 29, 2019
how can you best use a hungry node in any pack? parked my base right by a hungry node and might want to exploit it ;-) also in FTB magic farm 2. what way are there at all to quarry?
The best way to "exploit" a hungry node is to let it absorb its area and any mobs that wander in, then use some sort of ranged mining tool to break it and collect the wispy essences that drop, then use those for the aspects contained within them. Perhaps lure some undead into it for more of their aspects (especially Humanus since that's a hard one to collect in bulk).

Reactions: deanec64

deanec64

Jul 29, 2019
The best way to "exploit" a hungry node is to let it absorb its area and any mobs that wander in, then use some sort of ranged mining tool to break it and collect the wispy essences that drop, then use those for the aspects contained within them. Perhaps lure some undead into it for more of their aspects (especially Humanus since that's a hard one to collect in bulk).
hehe well done. a nice GIANT zombie and a few others have been sucked in so far.though in magic farm what "ranged" mining is there?

AddictifyChris

Jul 29, 2019
Regarding the Unleashed (1.7) mod pack, I searched for a snow biome for fir trees, but mine aren't growing 2x2, yet the tree I got saplings from was a 2x2 (I believe... let me check). They grow 1x1 though :l