Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

statphantom

Jul 29, 2019
its all the fact is the mod developers want people to use their machines, their power etc, its all calibrated to their difficulty level and dont want people doing something from other mods to make certain things easier

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
its all the fact is the mod developers want people to use their machines, their power etc, its all calibrated to their difficulty level and dont want people doing something from other mods to make certain things easier
I think its more a fact that BC designed their machines/engines to be somewhat realistic in that the engines burn fuel and supply machines directly with energy in forms of kinetic motion. In that way it doesn't make sense that you can then put this "movement energy" into magical wires and storage cells and transfer it of into the distance or save it for later. Maybe BC wanted it to be somewhat realistic so it would be somewhat educational, and I kinda like it for that! But for larger builds its just really inconvenient to have to have an engine on every single machine. So while I really like what BC is trying to do, I wouldn't want to be limited by it in the heavy modded packs.

If BC is determined on isolating their power system, then I personally think they should do something to make it a bit more convinient to the user. The conductive pipes are just so clumsy even with gates. Maybe a simplified system based on driveshafts instead of pipes where you can activate clutches to activate power to each machine on the network. Gates could then be used to activate the clutches. And driveshafts shouldn't blow up just because no machines are hooked in.

Last edited:

kaiomann

Jul 29, 2019
An axe in your hand and left click.
Be a man, do the right thing! :p
Well, that's one way... But is there no faster way? If lumber axes had a setting to only cut out the 3x3x3 area and not the whole tree, that'd be great (Accidental meme lawl)

statphantom

Jul 29, 2019
I think its more a fact that BC designed their machines/engines to be somewhat realistic in that the engines burn fuel and supply machines directly with energy in forms of kinetic motion. In that way it doesn't make sense that you can then put this "movement energy" into magical wires and storage cells and transfer it of into the distance or save it for later. Maybe BC wanted it to be somewhat realistic so it would be somewhat educational, and I kinda like it for that! But for larger builds its just really inconvenient to have to have an engine on every single machine. So while I really like what BC is trying to do, I wouldn't want to be limited by it in the heavy modded packs.

If BC is determined on isolating their power system, then I personally think they should do something to make it a bit more convinient to the user. The conductive pipes are just so clumsy even with gates. Maybe a simplified system based on driveshafts instead of pipes where you can activate clutches to activate power to each machine on the network. Gates could then be used to activate the clutches. And driveshafts shouldn't blow up just because no machines are hooked in.

its a fine line between realism, convenience and challenging, different people like different things. I just think in situations like modpacks where the whole game depends on compatibility it is needed, even if instead of the thermal expansion conduits converting the power if they made unique items that takes RF power and converts it into MJ as a loss it would also work, but thats just more stress on the modpack developers[DOUBLEPOST=1389263206][/DOUBLEPOST]
Well, that's one way... But is there no faster way? If lumber axes had a setting to only cut out the 3x3x3 area and not the whole tree, that'd be great (Accidental meme lawl)

there is an axe in tinkers constructs that cuts 1x7, however the time it takes for you to start tinkers constructs and create the axe its probably more efficient to do it one at a time, could even use a mining lazer, but thats even harder to build.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019

Isn't that RotaryCraft?

Reactions: eric167

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
So, I'm trying to hollow out a Natura Redwood. How would I do this the fastest way? Note that I'm not too far into infrastructure yet, so no filler.

I usually hollow out two blocks high on the ground level leaving the center blocks intact for a ladder. If you get a 13 diameter tree you can also remove the inside bark blocks as there is overlap... The 3 block wide sides, if you just remove redwood, can actually be cleared to 5 blocks wide. I can get about 2 1/2 stacks of redwood, usually.

I then use the redwood to make ladder sections and start my downward ladder to get stone for tools and an oven. Once I have an oven I convert a stack of redwood to charcoal, unless I luck out and hit a seam of coal. I usually dig downward to level 50 unless I have to go lower to avoid a nearby water table.

At level 50 I create 4 rooms at least 9x9 at each compass point. One will contain my TiCo smeltery. One will be my magic room, and another will be my ore-berry plantation. I haven't used the fourth room yet because I'm still learning basic machines. I also use the rooms to drop shafts to bedrock for mining.

When I need more room or wood, I dig out upper levels in the tree. By this time I have enough cobble to make stone slabs, so I chop the ceiling to 3 blocks high, fill with half-slabs and those become the second level floor. I do this because a few months ago when I just made my levels 3 blocks high it started raining one night and every enderman in the area paid a visit inside my home :D

Recently I've started digging levels without hollowing them out yet to the 4th or 5th level, depending on height above ground, and build a stone half-slab terrace for my garden. I got tired of slime and spiders climbing/bouncing over my fences and destroying my crops.

Deftscythe

Jul 29, 2019
Did the bug that got open blocks excluded from some packs get resolved? Making a new pack and I'd really like to include it.

Pip69

Jul 29, 2019
Does anyone have a handy table showing what ores spawn where? Specifically for Horizons. I'm most interested in Certus Quartz & Platinum.

statphantom

Jul 29, 2019
Does anyone have a handy table showing what ores spawn where? Specifically for Horizons. I'm most interested in Certus Quartz & Platinum.

certus quarts spawn anywhere, even in mountain ranges above sea level. platinum has been replaced by "shiny" in most packs, but it can be converted back to platinum ingots via smelting shiny ingots into the Tinkers Constructs Smeltery, but I dont think there is any recipe that needs this, You get shiny dust (smelt into shiny ingot) as a 10% chance when pulverizing ferrous ore, which spawns deep underground like gold and redstone.

Pip69

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks, statphantom. I knew about ferrous, but was hoping metallurgy had put Platinum in somewhere.

Shiny good! I like shiny!

behedwin

Jul 29, 2019
when some ppl on youtube morph into a bat or something that can fly, they also can fly.

how do you do this?

when i go into my SP world i can not?!

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
when some ppl on youtube morph into a bat or something that can fly, they also can fly.

how do you do this?

when i go into my SP world i can not?!
Are you even playing with Morph? I wasn't aware it was included in any FTB pack.

That being said, if you are, you probably need to edit your world config to allow flight.

But I don't really know any mod that's not in the pack.

Dark0_0firE

Jul 29, 2019
It is in the direwolf20 pack, and if you morph into a bat, or other mobs that specifically have flight, just double jump to fly.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
There's a few settings that might affect your ability to fly with Morph. There's a setting where you can't fly until you can access the Nether, iirc. Another is a total disable of morph's ability so it becomes an aesthetic mod instead.